Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

turn off the TV posted:

what do the hands with numbers on them mean in the quest log and on the camping screen?

I was just about the ask the same thing, is it some sort of timer or do they denote some subtype of quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

turn off the TV posted:

what do the hands with numbers on them mean in the quest log and on the camping screen?
As far as I can surmise, it indicates that one of your pawns has knowledge about that quest. The numbered ones are your hired pawns and the blue hand is your main pawn.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
having played quite a bit, elfland and catland not having dedicated portcrystals is so incredibly stingy, probably the single biggest marge-hmmm to me for restrictive design that ya can conveniently pay a few bucks to help alleviate

like if you don't wanna do the main quest and instead clandestine enter battahl (which is totally supported and an interesting option!) it's sorta inconceivably inconvenient without a portcrystal to place, so without paid dlc the only option is to do elf stuff but there's no way to know that'll be a reward for it

it's miserly to the point of inhibiting grand adventures and possibly sourin' them, which is a real bummer imo

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Oh my god I just realized the number of things you could gently caress with using the (spoiler for the border checkpoint town) forgery system!! Like no, I will not give you back that thing you lent me .
forgeries are incredibly cool in DD2, the 'non-key-ness' of quest items and sheer number of quests that do interesting things with 'em (with unique responses and outcomes) feels more dedicated to the concept than any other game I've seen tackle it. some designer had a notebook full of 'why couldn't i do THAT, which would cause THIS' from other games and implemented every one of 'em here haha

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really want those Rift Crystal glasses so I set my Pawn Quest to 10K gold for camping in Vermont 3 times

4BZS3MV3UIV6

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Carefully debating whether to blow over half my money on this Flamberge for my pawn who I just turned into a Warrior. I figure I can also use it on myself when I try Warrior later.

Apparently Warriors can also wield giant hammers, which is cool.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i wish i could tell pawns to stop trying to climb flying monsters because drake fights seem like they'd be a bit easier without having to revive a fighter who fell to his death 10 times

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I saw a guide that says I should be level fifty or sixty before fighting a Medusa. That seems really high, at least I feel like I might be ready around thirty. Anyone managed that yet and can comment?

Follow up question, how the hell do I help Hugo? It's not an option to just open his cell, I can't find the foreman so I can bribe him, and in general I have no idea what to do.

free hubcaps posted:

With all the good skills thief has, is it worth actually using shadow cloak/veil? Any good synergies with them? My initial thought was to use shadow cloak to sneak near enemies and then plant a powder charge, but they seem to always see me before I can finish planting it.

I kinda love the animation associated with cloak/veil, with all the magic poo poo in this game they couldve just done a transparent effect but no they went the mgs4 route which is way funnier and also looks cool.

I don't use it. There are only four slots, and so many awesome abilities. That one just never made the cut. My preferred are helm splitter, explosive trap or whatever it's called, the upgrade for ensnare, and then a rotating group of either the instant kill parry, the unhittable feint one that drains stamina, or the one that does amazing damage to weak spots on large enemies.

Ytlaya posted:

Carefully debating whether to blow over half my money on this Flamberge for my pawn who I just turned into a Warrior. I figure I can also use it on myself when I try Warrior later.

Apparently Warriors can also wield giant hammers, which is cool.

Just do it imo. I never hesitate to spend money if its a decently sized upgrade, for me or my pawn.

I am a little sad that my big beastren pawn is now essentially wearing lingerie but it's the best option by far. At least you can see his cool patterning which I made fully out of tattoos instead of fur pattern.

Everdraed posted:

having played quite a bit, elfland and catland not having dedicated portcrystals is so incredibly stingy, probably the single biggest marge-hmmm to me for restrictive design that ya can conveniently pay a few bucks to help alleviate

like if you don't wanna do the main quest and instead clandestine enter battahl (which is totally supported and an interesting option!) it's sorta inconceivably inconvenient without a portcrystal to place, so without paid dlc the only option is to do elf stuff but there's no way to know that'll be a reward for it

it's miserly to the point of inhibiting grand adventures and possibly sourin' them, which is a real bummer imo

I mean you can easily get to Battahl from checkpoint village or the main city. And so far the elf city doesn't have that many quests. Still, I managed to find two portcrystals and put them in exactly those spots. If I find another it'll probably go somewhere around the starting area up north or maybe south batthar, not sure how much land is left to discover there.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

i wish i could tell pawns to stop trying to climb flying monsters because drake fights seem like they'd be a bit easier without having to revive a fighter who fell to his death 10 times

It's hilarious when you carefully make your way down a steep cliff, making sure not fall too far at any one point, only for your pawns to come faceplanting down from the very top of the cliff right beside you

that being said they're much better than in the first game actually

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there an inclination that will cause your pawns to use the spellbooks you find? I've been loading my cat wizard up with them but the big ol' nerd is just hoarding them.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I really want those Rift Crystal glasses so I set my Pawn Quest to 10K gold for camping in Vermont 3 times

4BZS3MV3UIV6

do you lose the 10K gold for every time someone unique hires the pawn and does the quest? like could you go bankrupt?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It started with me just giving a random elf my used bow, and now he's giving me flowers and blushing when he sees me.

Bro I just kinda wanted to see if you'd teach me how to speak your language. :shobon:

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

pmchem posted:

do you lose the 10K gold for every time someone unique hires the pawn and does the quest? like could you go bankrupt?

Yeah it's a handoff from one player to another.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Play posted:

I mean you can easily get to Battahl from checkpoint village or the main city. And so far the elf city doesn't have that many quests. Still, I managed to find two portcrystals and put them in exactly those spots. If I find another it'll probably go somewhere around the starting area up north or maybe south batthar, not sure how much land is left to discover there.
it's not so much about gettin' there, what I mean is that trying to go and do Battahl early (and using the city as a homebase) seems really tedious without a portcrystal, if not just to return back to after a foray into areas that would likely be overleveled for a player who rushed for that. the city having a portcrystal of its own or there being one more easily accessible would go a long way to opening up that route, I think right now you either do the main quest for its portcrystal or the elf questlines for theirs which feels just a bit too limited and foreknowledge-y

40 hours in and I have 3 portcrystals, 2 feel sorta mandatory for the mentioned hubs, so 1 Free Choice which generally feels best being carried and placed during exploration and quests for a return point

without the main quests it'd be possibly 1 from elftown or 0, which is brutal heh

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thundarr posted:

It started with me just giving a random elf my used bow, and now he's giving me flowers and blushing when he sees me.

Bro I just kinda wanted to see if you'd teach me how to speak your language. :shobon:

Was it elf in the capital who had some kind of archery coming-of-age rite coming up and he taught himself the ways of human archery?

Do I need to change my vocation to archer to do his quest, is there gonna be archering involved?

Also do update the spreadsheet for your pawn levels, I tried to have some Garfield in my life and he'd jumped from 12 to 22! So were the three others I tried so the list is kinda moot if the levels aren't accurate.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 24, 2024

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Was it elf in the capital who had some kind of archery coming-of-age rite coming up and he taught himself the ways of human archery?

Do I need to change my vocation to archer to do his quest, is there gonna be archering involved?

Yes, for the first mission. But you can change after that. The next one and so don't require it.
The reward is good, you want it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The second part did involve shooting a target with a bow.

Also I still can't speak elf, he just likes me and I think gave me an in with the leader of the elf village? If I could figure out where that guy wandered off to.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

pmchem posted:

I wasn't paying super close attention but it didn't seem to debit multiple times? just the initial I think

pretty sure it duplicates gold / items to however many people go for it, so i'm interested to hear if multiple people got the foraging specialization tome from my current pawn mission

06IFOTXMRSSI

also, can you do a pawn's mission multiple times? or does it say something like 'already completed' if you dismiss + rehire again?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
A fun thing about the Forager specialization is that it lets you see where other people have been taking your pawn. There's tons of marked foraging locations in black areas of my map now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Thundarr posted:

The second part did involve shooting a target with a bow.

Also I still can't speak elf, he just likes me and I think gave me an in with the leader of the elf village? If I could figure out where that guy wandered off to.

Find a pawn with Woodland Tongue or whatever it's called, there are follow up quests there (you can do them without knowing what they're all saying but it makes a lot more sense if you can obviously.

Tei posted:

Yes, for the first mission. But you can change after that. The next one and so don't require it.
The reward is good, you want it.

Yeah I switched because I had a feeling it might be like that and all I really learned is that I will never play as an archer again

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

pmchem posted:

Nope! Enjoy!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just fuckin' executed an armored cyclops with an explosive arrow to the back of the skull while it was ragdolled and leaning against a wall. It had 1.5 health bars left. :staredog:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Perfection

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Are things like Jasper and Tiger's eye mostly just for selling and for maybe giving to people to raise affinity?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Sure hope they’re fine to sell because I’ve been throwing those at the shop every time I’m in town!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Should I be hesitant to enhance gear due to the future availability of different enhancement styles? Or can you remove/replace enhancements later. Or maybe it's just not an issue since later gear will be better?

I got this one bow that is obviously meant for Magic Archer (gives a ton of Magic), so I'll definitely wait until I can enhance that with Magic .

Edit: I encountered a place with a cyclops on a bridge, and I think the falling cyclops was supposed to form a bridge, but instead he just fell into the gap and died.

On the upside I got 10000 from it due to a very lucrative pawn quest to kill a cyclops.

I would just enhance stuff you're going to use when you're going to use it. Save min maxing for endgame gear, if at all. Also FYI Magic Archers have their own special bows that only they can use, they're not just regular bows with high magic.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Are things like Jasper and Tiger's eye mostly just for selling and for maybe giving to people to raise affinity?

I've seen one item (some kind of bikini-esque leg armor) that required gems for enhancement.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The omni-vocation circlet you can get for 50 Seeker's Tokens also takes a couple gems. I think 1 onyx and 2 tiger eyes?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How can you see what people like/dislike as gifts?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Unfortunately I think that elf guy in my game got murdered by the City Minotaur I fought, so I sure hope he wasn't essential to anything beyond just his couple of quests.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Geomancing posted:

Unfortunately I think that elf guy in my game got murdered by the City Minotaur I fought, so I sure hope he wasn't essential to anything beyond just his couple of quests.

there's a morgue

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what does it mean that I have icons on my map way out of the way that I've been so far for Sigurd and Cliodhna?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah, according to a tutorial pop up i got (presumably because a body had been taken there) there’s a morgue where you can go find dead npcs and rez em

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

How can you see what people like/dislike as gifts?

In the start menu if you click history you can pull up the NPC profiles where it shows that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

bees everywhere posted:

In the start menu if you click history you can pull up the NPC profiles where it shows that.

Thanks! That's really weird, but nothing surprises me in this game anymore

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I saved the boy from wolves, though sadly died once on the way there (and used the wakestone that I had just recently created) from slipping off a loving cliff while trying to look down and see how far it was! I used the stone because I wasn't sure if time would pass if I didn't, and wanted to save the boy. In the end thing went okay and I killed two Ogres on the way.

Before this, I encountered the new most dangerous enemy type for me, these electric Saurians. Had to run the first time I aggroed more than 2. Saurians in enclosed spaces in general are pretty dangerous to my Archer, since they have long range and it's hard to get away. The electric ones can easily straight-up kill you if they shock you and then start stabbing.

This game is very fun. I normally don't get into this sort of game, but I like going on these expeditions and the world is very dense with things.

Play posted:

Just do it imo. I never hesitate to spend money if its a decently sized upgrade, for me or my pawn.

I ended up buying a big armor upgrade for my Archer Arisen. I got the one that can be used with both Archer and Thief, so I can also use it when trying Thief. It makes a pretty big difference; I was taking a lot less damage when I got hit by the Ogres mentioned above.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I finally got to Battahl and was trying to do the sword restoration quest, but it wasn't triggering. I realized I didn't have the sword in my inventory, went to the inn to get it from storage, and it wasn't there either. Is it possible that I accidentally sold it? Can I get another one? :ohdear:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
How... do you give gifts? I've never seen the option in the controls. Or is it one of those things I need to be playing on keyboard? I thought it might be the 'item menu' button when talking to someone, but pressing it on my controller does nothing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Drakenel posted:

How... do you give gifts? I've never seen the option in the controls. Or is it one of those things I need to be playing on keyboard? I thought it might be the 'item menu' button when talking to someone, but pressing it on my controller does nothing.

Its square/X when close to someone iirc

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Dexo posted:

Its square/X when close to someone iirc

Considering that's usually the attack button, that would explain why I never looked at that.

Edit: There's actually no prompt. wtf? Is this unlocked by a side quest or something? Other sources are saying the same thing but...

Double edit: Oh. Apparently certain NPCs you just can't?

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 25, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Everdraed posted:

I wasn't paying super close attention but it didn't seem to debit multiple times? just the initial I think

pretty sure it duplicates gold / items to however many people go for it, so i'm interested to hear if multiple people got the foraging specialization tome from my current pawn mission

Shoehead posted:

Nope! Enjoy!

ok this makes me want to offer large rewards for pawn quests now, I was worried I'd lose all my good stuff if it was a per-hired-completion thing.

but also this makes no sense with the 'trading' pawn quests, right? if the quest is a 'trade' (like you ASK for 1 golden beetle and GIVE 1 wakestone or whatever)... could you get like 10 beetles from 10 different people in exchange for losing just that 1 wakestone?

that'd be uh, wildly imbalanced but also awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh. I found the sphinx without even really looking for her, just by being a nosy explorer.

Time to, uh, remember where I found that thing.