Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I mean if it presents itself as hard sci-fi and wants to reference quantum entanglement and stuff that seems like fair game to me.

You can't transmit any information faster than light via quantum entanglement though. If it were a hard sci-fi that'd be evident. Most of the stuff that cribs off real science is a prop to do interesting things plot-wise, including dimensional folding and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BastardySkull posted:

You can't transmit any information faster than light via quantum entanglement though. If it were a hard sci-fi that'd be evident. Most of the stuff that cribs off real science is a prop to do interesting things plot-wise, including dimensional folding and stuff.

I thought it works instantly over any distance. Are you saying Mass Effect lied to me?

edit: seems like it does, but we don't have a way to manipulate a quantum thingy to change the other one

Shneak posted:

Samwell cannot get off my screen fast enough.

We get mainstream goon representation and you're complaining? Unbelievable. He's also the most charismatic actor on the show. The rest of the Oxford Five are pretty blah but Eiza González is the most one-note.

Benedict Wong is pretty great now that he can speak with his voice and not Marvel Slop Uncle Roger.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 24, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You can entangle a particle and send one particle 10 LY away, and when you look at your particle and measure "1" then you know instantly that the other particle has a measurement of "0".

Problem is, what do you do with information?

The receiver on the other end doesn't know you looked at your particle. So you'd have to send them a message to look, which will have to be sub light speed.

It's impossible to plan ahead of time ie to say "we will both check in 3 years time" because that statement literally doesn't make sense.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Quantum entanglement as we know it might be good for passwords

But as another goon mentioned if trisolarans are advanced enough to do dimensional folding then we just have to accept that for narrative purposes they’re advanced enough to make technology that’s effectively magic to us

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The books and the show want to feel like hard scifi but there's enough plot holes and inconsistencies to drive a truck through. Ultimately it's just having fun with ideas so don't worry too much about consistency or if things actually make sense in reality.

Overall I thought episodes 1-5 were pretty great, but 6-8 fell flat to the point where I was bored at times.

After the Eye in the Sky, most of the mystery from the first few episode is answered, and it feels like the show meanders around quite a lot until the Wallfacer stuff, which was a lot of fun. Felt like that should have been the major focus of the last three episodes to keep the momentum going. Will's plot had pretty good character work, but it seemed like a small and unimportant plan to focus on. And with the Wallfacer reveal only happening in ep 8, it feels definitely like everyone else has been working on the actually important stuff.

In a sense, the climax of the show already happened in episode 5, and the rest was epilogue.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Shneak posted:

This is my genre of sci-fi but I wasn't really feeling it until the end of Episode 2—yeah, I'm hooked now.

The video game poo poo is awful though. Samwell cannot get off my screen fast enough.

I love sammy boy, he has big cornetto energy.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Quantum entanglement as we know it might be good for passwords

But as another goon mentioned if trisolarans are advanced enough to do dimensional folding then we just have to accept that for narrative purposes they’re advanced enough to make technology that’s effectively magic to us

If they're so advanced, I have no idea why they'd want to go to Earth, or why they needed a message from Earth to know anything about it. They could have sent sophons around the galaxy to find somewhere to live.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

pisshead posted:

If they're so advanced, I have no idea why they'd want to go to Earth, or why they needed a message from Earth to know anything about it. They could have sent sophons around the galaxy to find somewhere to live.

This is covered in the book

sophons are planet sized computers. They take so many resources to build that they could only afford to make a few, and it was only after discovering earth that they put together the plan to develop and manufacture them

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

TURTLE SLUT posted:

Overall I thought episodes 1-5 were pretty great, but 6-8 fell flat to the point where I was bored at times.

Absolutely agree. After the events of Episode 5 I think it really started to lose its pacing. If they had ended the 1st series at episode 5 (and padded it with some more details to stretch it out to 7 episodes or so) and then started the 2nd series with the stuff from episode 6 onward it might have flowed a bit better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

TURTLE SLUT posted:

The books and the show want to feel like hard scifi but there's enough plot holes and inconsistencies to drive a truck through. Ultimately it's just having fun with ideas so don't worry too much about consistency or if things actually make sense in reality.

I don’t think we even need to state that a show has to be hard or soft sci-fi, it can have both, and it makes sense to say aliens will have technology that we can’t even begin to conceive of with the level of theorizing we have now

(Spoilers for those who haven’t read book 3) there are other races that pop up that have even more inexplicable technology. Turns out that even the massive advantage the trisolarans have over humans still leave them scrub tier compared to other aliens

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 24, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They can have Mars, we aren't using it. Something for everybody.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Loved this series.

One question though: the first message is from an alien who tells them they shouldn't send another message since even though this one is a pacifist if another one gets the message they will invade. This implies that it is going to lie about the message to protect humanity - but they can't lie so I don't really understand what the "don't reply" message meant

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

If Auggie ends up being a stand in for 'AA' too, that would put her and Jin Cheng literally at the very end of the book.

This seems to me to be very clearly the plan. Jin = Xin. Thomas Wade is already here. They have every cast member they need to go all the way to the end. Although I'm not clear who is going to be Luo Ji.

Only through 4 episodes, but I think they've made some smart decisions.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Chalks posted:

Loved this series.

One question though: the first message is from an alien who tells them they shouldn't send another message since even though this one is a pacifist if another one gets the message they will invade. This implies that it is going to lie about the message to protect humanity - but they can't lie so I don't really understand what the "don't reply" message meant

based on some digging The aliens are not a hive mind but communicate via telepathy or something like that. Because they can sense each other's thoughts the concept of lying is foreign to them....somehow? Because no alien ever thought to think untrue thoughts or something? I dunno.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Show and books both have the thing where they present as hard or close to hard sci fi but it's just totally pulpy. The books skate by on the interesting concepts and set pieces and you really just have to shrug off the illogic/bad science of it all.

It's more or less the fantasy thing where the rules of the universe are defined in the universe, and you run with it or bounce because of it. There is also some WAY more interesting visual setpiece stuff coming up and I get the impression that's what the double D glommed onto about this. Which is why they are speedrunning compared to the pace of the book.

Tarnop posted:

That wouldn't keep the theme intact, because the point is to draw a parallel between the cultural revolution and the sophon interference both suppressing scientific development (as well as setting up her motivation of course)

Quick reminder that the writers/showrunners have openly stated they don't believe in themes in stories. You're trying to look at it through a lens that does not exist for the show. Not to rag on you, just don't waste your time/energy there, it's futile imo.

Chalks posted:

One question though: the first message is from an alien who tells them they shouldn't send another message since even though this one is a pacifist if another one gets the message they will invade. This implies that it is going to lie about the message to protect humanity - but they can't lie so I don't really understand what the "don't reply" message meant.

You could also take it as them simply not delivering the message, or otherwise destroying it. You could also get an implication it would be the end of that individual's career/job/life as a result of doing that if there is no chance of contacting the same individual again. That wouldn't be any lying/hiding the truth involved

But again this whole thing is really pulpy I wouldn't read too hard into any single element. Solid usually pretty better-than-average scifi pulp show with interesting concepts and fun visuals and good actors

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 24, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

Loved this series.

In the book although the book doesn’t spell it out I’m guessing it was planning on just keeping its mouth shut so it’s technically not lying. It doesn’t matter though because it gets found out almost immediately. Maybe it knew it couldn’t hide it from its boss and just hoped that its race couldn’t figure out how far away humans were based on response time. Either way, the people in charge knew of earth’s existence even before Ye Wenjie got the message

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 24, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Loved this series.

This is another thing that's explained in the book and should have been included in the show somehow:
Receiving the first message only gives the Santi a general idea about where Earth is to be found. They need a second message to pinpoint the exact location, now that they know what to listen for. The pacifist isn't planning to lie about anything. He willingly sacrifices himself to save Earth.

The whole sequence with the pacifist is one of the best parts of the book, and I wish they had found a way to include it. It would be hard to film without showing what the Santi look like, but they could have done it like a simulation sequence while making it clear that their looks are only metaphorical.

Edit: Or they could have just included the full message from the pacifist, which explains the matter:

Do not answer!
Do not answer!!
Do not answer!!!
This world has received your message.
I am a pacifist in this world. It is the luck of your civilization that I am the first to receive your message. I am warning you: Do not answer! Do not answer!! Do not answer!!!
There are tens of millions of stars in your direction. As long as you do not answer, this world will not be able to ascertain the source of your transmission.
But if you do answer, the source will be located right away. Your planet will be invaded. Your world will be conquered!
Do not answer! Do not answer!! Do not answer!!!

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 24, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Loved this series.

I think I can explain this without spoiling too much, since it's a minor point in the book, but spoilering this just in case.

The San-Ti fleet is already gone and hoping their bases on the San-Ti planet can give them good coordinates while they're in space. The pacifist in on the planet. All they have is the initial transmission, but it's like a general broadcast. Ye Wenjie is receiving a general broadcast back.

They need a second transmission from Earth (using the sun as an amplifier) to actually confirm the Sol system coordinates because they can tell from how long the message traveled what distance the systems are from each other, and then use that distance to infer which system the message came from.

The pacifist shares a lot with Ye Wenjie. He's a lower-rung member of San-Ti society who will never be allowed to start a family. His disillusion with San-Ti society means he is willing to burn their only chance at the fleet finding a home. He knows he's not going to be able to hide his transmission and is willing to die to save Earth.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Tarnop posted:

Yeah this is a good point and it's weird that they skipped over this in the show. IIRC it's that there's only one trinary system at the exact distance implied by the delay between the broadcast off the sun and the "don't respond" message. Seems like something that could have been part of the Staircase proposal scene, it's not like the last three episodes are pushed for time

BOOK TRILOGY SPOILER: they probably want to reveal that they come from Alpha Centauri, the closest star system to our own, to foreshadow the dark forest reveal i.e. "isn't it weird that the aliens just happen to live in the closest star system to our own?"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Here's the other problem I see with the whole transmisison thing

Earth is broadcasting poo poo into space loudly on all sorts of radio frequencies. It would not be all that hard for any civilization to hear us at distance of a few light years if they have the tech to make proton sized supercomputers.

er, google the youtube intro to contact, or the hitler decoded scene later in the movie.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 24, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Earth is broadcasting poo poo into space loudly on all sorts of radio frequencies. It would not be all that hard for any civilization to hear us at distance of a few light years if they have the tech to make proton sized supercomputers.

er, google the youtube intro to contact

BOOK TRILOGY SPOILERS:

Yes, this is an enormous problem for human civilization later

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cimber posted:

based on some digging The aliens are not a hive mind but communicate via telepathy or something like that. Because they can sense each other's thoughts the concept of lying is foreign to them....somehow? Because no alien ever thought to think untrue thoughts or something? I dunno.

I think they're incapable of holding back thoughts. Anything in their mind is communicated, so they literally cannot be deceitful to their own kind, or at least that was my reading of it in the book.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I wonder why they (Book spoiler / last episode spoiler) trimmed down the amount of Wallfacers by one. Will they completely block the plot thread of the missing person? Honestly, that part of the book was a bit weird and it's probably an appropriate place to cut something.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wonder why they (Book spoiler / last episode spoiler) trimmed down the amount of Wallfacers by one. Will they completely block the plot thread of the missing person? Honestly, that part of the book was a bit weird and it's probably an appropriate place to cut something.

I'm really curious about that, too. Its one of the weirder subplots, but it's also kind of important for the way other things unfold eventually.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

frogbs posted:

I think they're incapable of holding back thoughts. Anything in their mind is communicated, so they literally cannot be deceitful to their own kind, or at least that was my reading of it in the book.

From how I read it, they literally visually display their thoughts through what passes for their craniums. So their communication is extremely rapid and does not bode concealement.

This particular aspect is how the depicted army was literally a thing the Trisolarans DID, rather than it being an entirely human approach to the problem. Or at least they are clear that they ALSO tried it, and because of the way they display information they could actually get towards closer towards real computer speeds with the method of a computer made of living creatures that can transmit thought visually instantly, rather than through turning flags. iirc.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

cant cook creole bream posted:

I might be misremembering but I know the wallfacer who makes the computer that alters your reality or whatever never really impacts anything much. The book keeps foreshadowing that a large group of people are going to end up being sleeper agents and then it just doesn’t happen. The other two projects fail but end up being woven into Lou Ji’s eventual deterrence plan.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

A talking coyote posted:

I might be misremembering but I know the wallfacer who makes the computer that alters your reality or whatever never really impacts anything much. The book keeps foreshadowing that a large group of people are going to end up being sleeper agents and then it just doesn’t happen. The other two projects fail but end up being woven into Lou Ji’s eventual deterrence plan.

it's not super important, but the paranoia plays a role even though the big sleeper agent thing never really happens. Zheng Beihai (presumably Raj) is able to take over the Natural Selection because he's from an era before the mind seal so they know he isn't one of them.

But yeah, I don't think it would really harm the story that much to remove it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really enjoying this. Watched the first 2 episodes and love the We can not save ourselves. I will help you conquer.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Hollismason posted:

I'm really enjoying this. Watched the first 2 episodes and love the We can not save ourselves. I will help you conquer.

Ye Wenjie did nothing wrong :hai:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cimber posted:

er, google the youtube intro to contact, or the hitler decoded scene later in the movie.

The transmission power of what Earth broadcasts is effectively Bluetooth compared to the FM radio station broadcast Wenjie transmits, which was further amplified by the sun. Radio broadcasts lose power at an inverse square based on their distance.. Space is also incomprehensibly huge, so triangulating the source on some weak transmissions like broadcast radio from 4 light years away may literally be impossible. Even a space-based laser would run into diffraction issues from gravitational lensing and space dust.

Binged the show over last night / this morning. I thought it was surprisingly good because I bounced right off the book. Benedict Wong and Liam Cunningham do a lot of the heavy lifting, but overall I liked the characters.

the sophons interfering with particle accelerators is stupid though, because even light speed travel between locations, they can still only exist in two places at once. Also humans have been able to detect single protons for at least a decade, albeit in very specific circumstances in a lab. Coming up with technology to catch/kill the sophons seems as feasible as using Project Orion to shoot a frozen head at an invading space fleet

I really hope they make a second season

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsNCbFD5_Y&pp=ygUVMyBib2R5IHByb2JsZW0gcmV2aWV3

Positive review from the science fiction book review YouTuber who first got me into Three body Problem

Pretty thorough and thoughtful

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Man, it seems a lot of people are totally befuddled as to why the Chinese censors would approve a work that depicts the Cultural Revolution negatively.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Updog Scully posted:

BOOK TRILOGY SPOILER: they probably want to reveal that they come from Alpha Centauri, the closest star system to our own, to foreshadow the dark forest reveal i.e. "isn't it weird that the aliens just happen to live in the closest star system to our own?"

I don’t remember exactly what the dialog was but at one point when discussing distances/speeds they said something that came out to 4 ish light years and there’s only one star system 4 light years away and I thought it was really weird that they didn’t talk about Alpha Centauri. I was falling asleep a lot at this point so I don’t remember exactly what was said but it was something like they’re taking 400 years at 1% light speed, so 4 light years away is pretty obvious. I guess it’s not common knowledge for the general public, but the characters would have known instantly. I knew it and I’m just some idiot.

I agree that the pacing was off balance and the episodes 6 and 7 were not as exciting as the rest of the season, though it picked again up in 8. They should have put the wallfacer stuff in 6, maybe make Saul more involved in the decision, and not split up the launch scene like someone else mentioned. Hope it gets a second season, and the producers don’t poo poo the bed like with GoT.

Rewatching episode 6 now and just realizing the scene where Jin convinces Wade to go with the Stairway plan over the objections of the other scientists mirrors the situations in the game.

Also every time they said Sophon I thought they were saying cell phone. When sword lady said we will destroy them with our cell phones I was like lmao drat got us already

Then Jin tells Raj that Auggie is “gutted” about Panama … she’s not the only one.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Then Jin tells Raj that Auggie is “gutted” about Panama … she’s not the only one.

Yeah, she and a lot of others went to pieces after that.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I want to like the show, the premise is interesting, but the actual show is boring as gently caress and the acting is terrible.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
I've finished episode five and have been mostly enjoying it so far, but am starting to get overwhelmed by toughts of, "Wait a second. This doesn't make any sense." It's starting to feel like they really needed a few more passes on the script. Just as one example, can someone answer the following for me:

The whole plan for intercepting the Judgment Day seems overly complicated and stupid. Like, the problem is, "We need to stop this ship and retrieve the information." There is a line or two about limiting casulaties on both the Navy side and, if possible, the Judgement Day side. Additionally, there is a line about being careful that the crew isn't able to destroy any of the data they need. So the solution is, "Ok... let's deploy this crazy experimental technology that was just invented that, so far, has only been used to cut up a small diamond. We will use it to cut the entire ship and everyone on it into tiny little bits." Wouldn't that drastically *increase* the chance of destroying the data? If the data is destroyed, wouldn't it be helpful to be able to ask the people on board the ship questions? Wouldn't this cause a major international incident if you have the Royal Navy very publicly destroying a privately owned ship in the Panama Canal killing all aboard in a dramatic and gruesome way? Wasn't this mission supposed to be secret?

Am I missing something? Was this incident in the book?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

confused posted:

I've finished episode five and have been mostly enjoying it so far, but am starting to get overwhelmed by toughts of, "Wait a second. This doesn't make any sense." It's starting to feel like they really needed a few more passes on the script. Just as one example, can someone answer the following for me:

The whole plan for intercepting the Judgment Day seems overly complicated and stupid. Like, the problem is, "We need to stop this ship and retrieve the information." There is a line or two about limiting casulaties on both the Navy side and, if possible, the Judgement Day side. Additionally, there is a line about being careful that the crew isn't able to destroy any of the data they need. So the solution is, "Ok... let's deploy this crazy experimental technology that was just invented that, so far, has only been used to cut up a small diamond. We will use it to cut the entire ship and everyone on it into tiny little bits." Wouldn't that drastically *increase* the chance of destroying the data? If the data is destroyed, wouldn't it be helpful to be able to ask the people on board the ship questions? Wouldn't this cause a major international incident if you have the Royal Navy very publicly destroying a privately owned ship in the Panama Canal killing all aboard in a dramatic and gruesome way? Wasn't this mission supposed to be secret?

Throw in the fact that they also killed the pilot guiding the ship through the canal. Whoops. But apparently this is some multi-national org that hasn't been explained but has the agreement of all the countries on earth. Or something.

Lets also not forget that they would be basically shutting down the canal for several weeks while they combed through the wreckage, as well as dealing with all the body parts.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 25, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

confused posted:

I came in here to see if anyone else had this same idea. It was a very cool and gory scene, but didn't make any sense. Even if it were only one of the reasons you said, I could excuse it for TV logic, but all of those combined? I think the SFX budget could have gone elsewhere.

There were some good parts of the show, unfortunately it crawled for 75% of it. I know the rough outline of the series from a Wikipedia rabbit-hole I went down years ago when I thought I'd never read it, and I feel like it could have gotten a bit further had they not dragged stuff out.

The video game plot was neat and I think that was a new additon? Loved the cameos and the competition, from the army-powered computer to the blink-and-you'll-miss-it middle fingers, it was all great. I'm not entirely sure what the point of all that is either though. It's a long way to an exposition dump about why the aliens want to move to Earth, and if I didn't know they were Evil, I would have thought it was giving humanity a chance to redeem themselves... but all-in-all it seems like it would have been better for the aliens to not announce their presence and intention to people who could stop them. For genocidal aliens they seem either too poor or too good at killing humans who could potentially stop them, with no in between.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Cimber posted:

So I was joking before, but there is a scene in episode 5 that's pretty squick. I'm not one who gets freaked out by TV gore, but i had to look away during that part.

Lmao episode 5 was hilarious because of how over the top and fake it was. Yeah I still think the opening scene in episode 1 was super hard to watch cause it looked absolutely real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
so the aliens have sent two really fast cellphones here? oooh I'm so scared