Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also the big difference in approach between GURPS and FATE is with GURPS, all the tools are there and then you take things out to make an implementation, whereas FATE is a very basic framework that needs you to put things in to make an implementation, which is why there's fewer GURPS implementations out there than FATE ones. That and SJG being extremely cautious about licensing nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Panzeh posted:

What would you be looking for out of the read? Ultimately, the only two 'implementations' that kind of work as standalone books with all the rules are the Basic Books (2) and the Dungeon Fantasy books (4), though GURPS also has a pretty good reputation for having supplements written by people who know a lot about a genre or thing(though fewer of those are done nowadays than were done in the 90s).

The Basic Books are divided into "Characters" and "Campaigns" which very roughly translates to "character creation" and "game mechanics", so you'd really need both to make too much sense of it.

I'll read the lite PDF that was linked and if I'm still interested I'll look at the Basic Books, thanks both. It's largely academic interest; I'm not that into playing very crunchy systems at the moment but I find most RPGs worthwhile to read and the vast majority contain useful advice or tools or subsystems that change the way I think about RPGs

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
GURPS only clicked with me after looking at lots of templates. Get the basics, then browse some implementations (Dungeon Fantasy is good because you probably already know how those archetypes are supposed to work). It's like Legos in that you rarely buy a box of loose Legos, you buy an example that you can change or remake.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Is there a thread for people seeking critique and comments on a TTRPG they wrote? I started to get into writing some RPGs and am looking to get some eyes on it to see what it needs and can be improved on.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Chip McFuck posted:

Is there a thread for people seeking critique and comments on a TTRPG they wrote? I started to get into writing some RPGs and am looking to get some eyes on it to see what it needs and can be improved on.

I'd try the Game writing workshop thread

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's a thread for games people are designing:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581530

There's also a dedicated thread to ask "is there a thread?", lol:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956452

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thanks! Don't know how I missed both of those.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Twobirds posted:

GURPS only clicked with me after looking at lots of templates. Get the basics, then browse some implementations (Dungeon Fantasy is good because you probably already know how those archetypes are supposed to work). It's like Legos in that you rarely buy a box of loose Legos, you buy an example that you can change or remake.

Yeah this was kind of what I was alluding to when I brought up FATE. I sort of got it from reading fate core but Spirit of the Century was what made it make sense to me

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I went to convention today and played my first TTRPG in a couple decades, Pirate Borg with the Buried in the Bahama's adventure. I didn't particularly enjoy it, which I'll get into, but it was very useful as a way to dip my toes into what it's like to play a game after I've already got some strong opinions just reading... at least three dozen different systems over the past four months.

I keep trying to write up my feelings on why I didn't enjoy it so much but it usually dips into arguments I don't really want to get into here so here is a quick and dirty version. There were three core issues, one was we obviously skipped some of the adventure which made it feel incomplete despite being billed as a convention one shot adventure. The second was combat, even when trying to think of and implement ways of it being more interesting, largely boiled to do your damage thing and move on. Finally all the fun I had was doing things that clearly were not the "right" answer as far as the system and adventure were concerned, but the GM letting me do it and adapting so the party wasn't punished too hard for having a character not resolving a situation in the expected manner. And I don't mean I was being silly or detrimental, just trying to find more interesting ways to play out a combat encounter than doing your main damage thing. Part of that may be the adventure though, there were a couple of encounters that would only result in a party kill but you actually only need to survive for a turn or do one specific thing to save you.

My initial takeways are if I ever run a game at a convention or for just a single one shot, don't run a game or adventure that involves a lot of combat unless it has a more high level and less granular resolution mechanic. And I think I need to give up on the idea of finding a D&D style dungeon crawling adventure system and instead look something with a different theme but still involves some level of varied monster hunting/dungeon crawling style encounters.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

EightFlyingCars posted:

uninown armies fucks, the one campaign i got to play was some of my favourite roleplaying i've ever done

Unknown armies is the first rpg where I bulked at the price. It’s $40 for the ebooks, only, and $105 for the physical. Do you really need all 3 books to play?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Do you really need all 3 books to play?
Books one and two are the core rules and necessary for play in the same way as the PHB and DMG. Book three has a few cool monster manual entries and a whole lot of worthless glossary entries that just list things from 2e without any gamable information attached.

I pirated the core set and only bought the hardcovers after I had a couple campaigns under my belt, like with Esoteric Enterprises.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

nessin posted:

I think I need to give up on the idea of finding a D&D style dungeon crawling adventure system and instead look something with a different theme but still involves some level of varied monster hunting/dungeon crawling style encounters.

I think the big problem here is that D&D and associated clones have had such an immense market capture of the concept of “monster hunting/dungeon crawling style encounters” that there basically is no alternative that lasted more than one or two books, and/or requires a lot of heavy lifting in building encounters and areas because there aren’t four+ decades of modules and monster manuals to draw from.

If you’re fine with a less crunchy system than D&D that’s not necessarily a dealbreaker, (and I’m not even talking a Fate level of lightness here, like the Ars Magica-derived Rune or Burning Wheel-based Torchbearer are out there), but it depends on what exactly you want out of the dungeon crawl concept that D&D is not delivering for you. Do you dislike the specific d20 combat engine, or just want to deemphasize combat overall? If you’re not married to the dungeon bash aesthetic specifically but like it as a framework for picaresque weird mythic encounters, maybe Agon is worth a look.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Where are people selling or trading 40k/AOS stuff?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

E2M2 posted:

Where are people selling or trading 40k/AOS stuff?

IRC

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Parkreiner posted:

I think the big problem here is that D&D and associated clones have had such an immense market capture of the concept of “monster hunting/dungeon crawling style encounters” that there basically is no alternative that lasted more than one or two books, and/or requires a lot of heavy lifting in building encounters and areas because there aren’t four+ decades of modules and monster manuals to draw from.

If you’re fine with a less crunchy system than D&D that’s not necessarily a dealbreaker, (and I’m not even talking a Fate level of lightness here, like the Ars Magica-derived Rune or Burning Wheel-based Torchbearer are out there), but it depends on what exactly you want out of the dungeon crawl concept that D&D is not delivering for you. Do you dislike the specific d20 combat engine, or just want to deemphasize combat overall? If you’re not married to the dungeon bash aesthetic specifically but like it as a framework for picaresque weird mythic encounters, maybe Agon is worth a look.

13th age is d&d but good, and has eyes of the stone thief which is incredible.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

sebmojo posted:

13th age is d&d but good, and has eyes of the stone thief which is incredible.

Wait, I thought people here hated 13th Age now?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Silver2195 posted:

Why, exactly?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Silver2195 posted:

Real talk, the dislike for 13th Age is a combination of the awareness of a game's flaws that always comes with playing with it for long enough and Rob Heinsoo deciding Jonathan Tweet needed to be involved in the second edition despite Tweet being pretty universally considered an rear end in a top hat that didn't seem to add that much. 13th Age still has a lot of good points.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, nothing's perfect, but i think it's a great spin on dnd and can be thought of as an alternate 5e. I gmd it for like 4 years and it didn't get dull, fights were still fun, characters were powerful and versatile but still vulnerable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
13th age is a less bad D&D with less problematic creators.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
13th Age is the only RPG on the market that deadnames me and for that I'll never play it again. :colbert:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

claw game handjob posted:

13th Age is the only RPG on the market that deadnames me and for that I'll never play it again. :colbert:

I will call them up and make them change it to Claw Game Handjob immediately :colbert:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The big criticisms I tend to see are:
  • The more "storygame" mechanics, like Icon rolls, aren't well-integrated with the rest of the system.
  • The default setting (including the default Icons) is generic to the point of self-parody.
  • Most martial classes, while more powerful than in 3e, aren't very interesting. In particular, the dice basically choose which maneuver a Fighter uses instead of the player.
  • Choices between options that give precisely defined mechanical benefits and options that basically say "Ask your GM what this does."
  • Druids and Monks are overly complicated.
  • Freeform skills.
  • The writing and layout make the designers' vision unclear.

I'm not saying it's uniquely bad, to be clear. You could make similar criticisms (or in some cases opposite criticisms) of many other D&D-adjacent games. But it's a lot less popular now than it was when it came out.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 24, 2024

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Silver2195 posted:

• The more "storygame" mechanics, like Icon rolls, aren't well-integrated with the rest of the system.
  • The default setting (including the default Icons) is generic to the point of self-parody.
  • Most martial classes, while more powerful than in 3e, aren't very interesting. In particular, the dice basically choose which maneuver a Fighter uses instead of the player.
  • Choices between options that give precisely defined mechanical benefits and options that basically say "Ask your GM what this does."
  • Freeform skills.
  • The writing and layout make the designers' vision unclear.

They do seem to be trying to address this in 2e. The alpha packet, irc, moved the martials to using standard A/E/D.

But, Johnthan Tweet is working on it so god only knows how the beta in a few weeks come out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just have issues with Tweet, I have no beef with 13th age itself. It's not getting my money so discussion of it is academic at best to me because I no longer pirate games, but there's lots of games people talk about in here I don't own.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Aren't they always though? I'm curious about this. Can you go more into detail about 13th Age's Druids and Monks?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Druids are a build-your-own class. You have three specialty points to spend between offensive magic, healing, animal companions, and animal shaping. Max of two points in any one specialty. It's VERY easy to make a weak druid that doesn't contribute to anything at full-strength comparative to other classes in their respective specialties.

Monk is definitely the most complicated class in the game. It's very analogous to FF14's concept of monk, where you're in a stance at any given point, and you have several abilities that can be used in that stance, and using any of those will move you to the next stance in line, locking and unlocking available abilities. It's very strong but easy to choose a bad set of forms. I also wouldn't say it's necessarily more complicated than, say, a bunch of classes in PF2, let alone most classes in 4e. But that's also a matter of those games having way more build options and "pre-game" strategy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Aren't they always though? I'm curious about this. Can you go more into detail about 13th Age's Druids and Monks?

I actually like what I think was the thinking behind the 13th Age Druid. Druids in 3.5 were overpowered because they did too many things; they were full casters with a list containing both element-themed spells and plant/animal-themed spells, and they could spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally, and they had wild shape, and they had an animal companion, and they had a few ribbon abilities I don't remember the details of. So how to you make a class that's recognizably a Druid to people familiar with 3.5, but not overpowered? By making it a sort of point-buy-based class, where the only things all Druids have in common are the ribbon abilities.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The 13th Age druid is funny because, well, say you're making a wizard. You get, for free, automatically, full access to your spell list, full access to certain wizard spell list sub-mechanics like "cyclic", etc. Then on top of that you get to pick three "Talents", each of which might give you some big bonus like maximizing attack spells' damage rolls or spending extra actions to cast spells with improvised bonus effects.

Now you go to make a druid. You get, for free... nothing. You're a complete blank slate except that it's got its base defenses and weapon die filled in. Then you pick three talents, and each class is half of some D&D-appropriate druid skill set like shapeshifting, armed combat, nature magic, or healing. So you can be 1.0 of a spellcaster and 0.5 of a shapeshifter, or add 0.5 healing on top of 1.0 shillelagh, or whatever. ...but then you realize you haven't actually gotten talents!! You had to spend all your resources on clawing your way up to basic proficiency in the first place, but that basic proficiency isn't actually better than what anyone else gets right out of the box!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's because Tweet hates druids and only put them in the game because he felt he had to, same with monks, he thinks they're overpowered.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
To be clear, when I said I didn't like the thinking behind it, I didn't mean that it actually worked out well. They nerfed the Druid a little too hard (despite the Wizard still being quite strong, though not to 3.5 levels).

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Everway owns. I don't know what y'all are on about. Tarot Star Trek forever!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

That's because Tweet hates druids and only put them in the game because he felt he had to, same with monks, he thinks they're overpowered.

Do you mean that Tweet hates Druids for being overpowered, and also hates Monks for some other reason? Or does Tweet actually believe that Monks have ever been overpowered?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tweet believes both classes are overpowered. Nobody said he was a good game designer.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just went and picked up the Avatar the Last Airbender TTRPG from a con. Haven’t even opened it up yet, but I’m wondering if folks have any experience with how it plays?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

13A adept shifter druid makes lizard brain happy because hee hee hoo hoo stacking templates and optimizing stat bonus builds

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

Tweet believes both classes are overpowered. Nobody said he was a good game designer.

This is why I honestly was happy he left...and so mad Rob Heinso thinks his worthless rear end was worth keeping.

Regalingualius posted:

I just went and picked up the Avatar the Last Airbender TTRPG from a con. Haven’t even opened it up yet, but I’m wondering if folks have any experience with how it plays?

It is a good game. Some people have complained that it doesn't focus enough on martial arts and bending, but I don't mind. It is focused first and foremost on teenage drama and developing as a person. In that, it succeeds very well. The big quirks, in my opinion, are two things. The first is that, despite having an order of operations, all actions in combat resolve simultaneously. It feels weird there is even an order to how to reveal actions if there is no initiative present in your action choice. It feels like there once was an initiative action and that was cut, but the order mechanic was kept. Secondly, balance can be annoying because every character has a unique two values per each playbook. Masks A New Generation had everyone share the same labels to make it easy to keep track of them all and come up with ways of influencing them. By giving everyone their own principles, it can be a lot for the GM to keep track of in larger groups.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I learned about Tweet's shittiness right after purchasing Over the Edge 3e.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

He was an ok dude up until his wife died and he turned part chud. Was he lovely before then?

I can remember talking to him about half orcs and being weirded out about his answer but later I reached out via Facebook and he had a whole different approach to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As a game 13A1E is "pretty okay D&D" and its principal sins are mostly regressive stuff that Tweet himself explained he personally wanted in the game, or just half-baked ideas like Icon rolls. Its decline in popularity and increase in talking about its flaws are just time marching ever onward because this is what happens with every game.