Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Thanks for the tips :unsmith:!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think I'm gonna bring the EMS mortar basically all the time now, it's so good for getting the heat off of you in almost any situation, and the cooldown is really short. Trying to get better with the 500kg for bile titans, as it's the only thing that can one shot them reliably if you position it properly. Railcannon is just too much of a gamble for how large the cooldown is.

Your Brain on Hugs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 24, 2024

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Autocannon really is the perfect weapon for bots, it would take a LOT to get me to not use it in a bot mission

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I think I'm gonna bring the EMS mortar basically all the time now, it's so good for getting the heat off of you in almost any situation, and the cooldown is really short. Trying to get better with the 500kg for bile titans, as it's the only thing that can one shot them reliably if you position it properly. Railcannon is just too much of a gamble for how large the cooldown is.

Stun grenades make bile-bombing way easier.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah I find that I still need impact grenades in case of bile spitters though, and being able to close holes if I need to. Once they release the grenade pistol I should be able to switch to stuns for bugs

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Unless the mission is blitz, I stopped caring about being able to close bug holes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LazyMaybe posted:

Tbh, this mechanic is decently common nowadays-it's in Apex for instance, as well as anything more milsim.
Reloading throwing away a mag is more rare, but a bit more common nowadays than it used to be... it's in Ready or Not, Battlebit, Insurgency Sandstorm, and of course Tarkov.

In ARMA you keep the half used magazine in your inventory, and with a common mod you can even sit down and consolidate rounds from half used magazines into full ones. The first bit should be a thing in HD2 too; you just cycle back to your used magazines once you've gone through all the fresh ones.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I like being able to destroy outposts that are within distance of getting a patrol to the extraction zone while I'm waiting. I've found it makes extracting a lot easier since you usually only have to deal with the normal extraction spawns instead of the extraction spawns and the outpost spawns that also path to you. More often than not I only get single spawns coming from one direction which is really nice and makes it a lot more manageable.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Do destroying outposts/bug holes etc have any positive impact on enemy numbers or the extraction heat? I always figured that because the mission gets harder the more time you take, and completing these tasks take time, the opposite is true.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

thotsky posted:

Do destroying outposts/bug holes etc have any positive impact on enemy numbers or the extraction heat? I always figured that because the mission gets harder the more time you take, and completing these tasks take time, the opposite is true.

Mission time has no effect on spawn rate but destroying factories makes spawns happen faster.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

But it also eliminates spawns from the factories themselves, right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

thotsky posted:

They increase the spawn rate of patrols in their vicinity and just from past experience that definitely seems to be true. Blowing more than half of them up also allegedly increases global patrols for reasons

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think the intent is that you remove the spawns from bases and if there isn't some smaller increase to global patrols then the world feels emptier. It isn't that more guys spawn than before you blew it up, it's that the offset is from factory zones into distant patrol frequency so there's still guys to threaten you.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Reiley posted:

I think the intent is that you remove the spawns from bases and if there isn't some smaller increase to global patrols then the world feels emptier. It isn't that more guys spawn than before you blew it up, it's that the offset is from factory zones into distant patrol frequency so there's still guys to threaten you.

that's still super lame though. if anything destroying nests/outposts should increase the strength or frequency of reinforcements that patrols can summon if the devs want to keep some balancing factor

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
All of that spawn/patrol logic stuff was really interesting but besides the “poo poo is gonna get spicy once you complete the primary objective” rule I kind of ignore it all. It feels mostly inconsequential and how much it matters still just comes down to your teams ability to bring useful stratagems for dealing with what does inevitably spawn and if you can move across the map without aggroing every patrol in a 300m radius.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Haha I just got back from a 3 day trip to see I still get to fight for Hellmire. HAH I bring bad Karma with me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FunkyFjord posted:

It really is pretty cool how the game totally accounts for that. You can be 4/5ths of the way through reloading something, dolphin dive out of the way, and then come back to the finally steps of like sliding the back funnel on to the RR and locking it or chambering the first round in the machine gun when you have the time. Really makes the weapons with the long reloads way more worth it, shows great attention to detail and how smooth the devs made every weapon process.

Not in my case lol, I'm so used to this not being a thing, I automatically hit reload again after a dive expecting the reload to have been reset and realise I throw a full magazine out.

Haven't touched the game in three days and I don't plan to until they fix the horrific crashing / losing progress issue. Someone did mention that having a game 35 minutes in crash sucks hard, but all you really lose is credits and samples which don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Whilst this is true, I don't feel like I'm enough of a sicko to play a game knowing that there's a decent chance my efforts will be for naught. I also don't have friends that play this so I can't just rejoin lost games.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 24, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Qubee posted:

Not in my case lol, I'm so used to this not being a thing, I automatically hit reload again after a dive expecting the reload to have been reset and realise I throw a full magazine out.

The recoilless rifle currently does this but I was told it didn't in the past, so it might be a bug. Other weapons don't have this problem as far as I know - at least not any of the ones I use. The AC and all non-backpack reloading weapons don't lose mags mid-reload.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

The recoilless rifle currently does this but I was told it didn't in the past, so it might be a bug. Other weapons don't have this problem as far as I know - at least not any of the ones I use. The AC and all non-backpack reloading weapons don't lose mags mid-reload.

Yeah that's what I mean. I'm so used to games not accounting for this, I reflexively reload after diving. It has happened so much and I always kick myself after the fact. I'll start the reload, dive out the way of an attack, then reflexively reload again and realise I've wasted an entire magazine for nada.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

causticBeet posted:

All of that spawn/patrol logic stuff was really interesting but besides the “poo poo is gonna get spicy once you complete the primary objective” rule I kind of ignore it all. It feels mostly inconsequential and how much it matters still just comes down to your teams ability to bring useful stratagems for dealing with what does inevitably spawn and if you can move across the map without aggroing every patrol in a 300m radius.
Yeah that's the only one you really feel. I actually kind of wish they'd change it because the vast majority of people aren't aware of why their poo poo suddenly gets rocked hard and they lose all their samples when they try to take out one last nest/base on the way to extracting.

The intuitive way for it to work would be the increase happening during extraction itself.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh whoops I misread :doh: well there is currently a bug (unless it has been fixed) that makes it not work right on the RR :argh:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i can’t bring turrets on the big map missions. feels like they just get gobbled immediately in any situation where you want them.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Throw the EMS mortar behind something and run away. Throw the auto cannon sentry ahead of you and run away. Tell your squad though because low ground auto cannon turrets just want to kill me.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Spent some time today using the Punisher Plasma.

I really quite like it? The arc of fire really takes some getting used to, but it's useful in a lot of situations. The blast radius isn't as big as a Grenade Launcher but it's pretty serviceable. It seems like it has a pile of ammo, 12 magazines of 8 rounds each, an the reload happens a full magazine at a time and it decently fast. It doesn't have a really long range but it seems to deal well with everything bug wise that's not a Charger or Bile Titan.

It seems like it puts in work well, but I can see how people might not like it, it's really kind of it's own thing. You can kill yourself with it and need to be able to go to the sidearm quickly sometime. You legit have to learn now to lob the shots with it.

Pretty sure I'm going to stick with it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZWaKywWJ3s

quote:

This is just more proof that Pelican 1 is a legitimately good person.

He comes to rescue you if you fail the mission and the super destroyer leaves, he provides support fire when landing and if you are not in the extraction zone. He even shows how annoyed he is with his tone when he says "helldivers" in this video. Hes annoyed at you, but won't leave you to die.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Spent some time today using the Punisher Plasma.

I really quite like it? The arc of fire really takes some getting used to, but it's useful in a lot of situations. The blast radius isn't as big as a Grenade Launcher but it's pretty serviceable. It seems like it has a pile of ammo, 12 magazines of 8 rounds each, an the reload happens a full magazine at a time and it decently fast. It doesn't have a really long range but it seems to deal well with everything bug wise that's not a Charger or Bile Titan.

It seems like it puts in work well, but I can see how people might not like it, it's really kind of it's own thing. You can kill yourself with it and need to be able to go to the sidearm quickly sometime. You legit have to learn now to lob the shots with it.

Pretty sure I'm going to stick with it.

The ammo situation is garbo but it's got decent damage, and it can pop spewers

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 24, 2024

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

holy poo poo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mesadoram posted:

So I did my first bots game an uh yeah, I hate it. What gun should I use? I am only level 19 and I have none of the paid DLC stuff. My breaker seems to do nothing to the big bots.

Edit: Also I asked "How do I kill heavy devastators?" and I got kicked from the game. The gently caress is wrong with people today?

Bots hang at range so if you're alone or in a group that's actually communicating they're also easier to disengage from if you have smoke. Also they don't escalate nearly as fast (unless you're fighting near a detector tower that just spawns infinity + 1 bot drops). Bot drops can only be triggered by a certain kind of trash bots (The commissar: has a sword and pistol) unlike bugs which can be summoned by 75% of the chaff, including the Warriors that the Brood Commanders can spawn.

In return, the chaff soldiers with shoulder mounted launchers, and the Devastators with rocket packs can 1-shot you with no warning. Also the bot bases tend to be actual defensive strongholds instead of a messy nests, making it a lot more valuable to be able to blow up sections of them with stratagems (walking barrage is a sleeper hit for this as it drops explosions in a long line away from you) or snipe fabricators with autocannon shots from a couple hundred meters away.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hwurmp posted:

The ammo situation is garbo but it's got decent damage

I was running grenade launcher, laser dog, Punisher Plasma and EAT. I never even used half the mags on the Punisher rotating weapons. If it has ammo problems, I haven't run into them yet, I wasn't just hosing everywhere though, I was being selective with the splash and fire rate.

I had a lot less ammo problems than I had with the Scorcher.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Bot drops can only be triggered by a certain kind of trash bots (The commissar: has a sword and pistol)

Commissars do it most often but any Raider can send up a flare

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Bots hang at range so if you're alone or in a group that's actually communicating they're also easier to disengage from if you have smoke. Also they don't escalate nearly as fast (unless you're fighting near a detector tower that just spawns infinity + 1 bot drops). Bot drops can only be triggered by a certain kind of trash bots (The commissar: has a sword and pistol) unlike bugs which can be summoned by 75% of the chaff, including the Warriors that the Brood Commanders can spawn.

In return, the chaff soldiers with shoulder mounted launchers, and the Devastators with rocket packs can 1-shot you with no warning. Also the bot bases tend to be actual defensive strongholds instead of a messy nests, making it a lot more valuable to be able to blow up sections of them with stratagems (walking barrage is a sleeper hit for this as it drops explosions in a long line away from you) or snipe fabricators with autocannon shots from a couple hundred meters away.

Bots up to the devastators can basically be killed with any weapon as long as you head shot them too. I've also started to like taking a spear into bot missions just because when it's behaving being able to shoot a cannon tower from across the map and clear fabricators without being remotely close is extremely handy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hwurmp posted:

Well not the jumpjet ones because they're all busy jumping into my face to try to stab me explode.

Still, bots don't reinforce cascade nearly as bad as bugs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

Just another reason I have started to hate small rocket soldiers more than rocket devastators.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dren posted:

I added stun grenades and EMS mortar to GL + supply pack + EAT and now I’m really happy with it. Fixes the problem of getting odd level geometry where GL is at a disadvantage and allows reliably clearing breaches before they loop.

I never really figured out an arc loadout. What are people running there to close bug holes, blow up towers/shrieker nests, and kill bile titans?

My arc Loadout is this:

+2 grenade light armor (or the light +throw distance armor, if they every fix the limb health and vitality booster not stacking "bug")
SICKLE AR - THE ONE FROM CUTTING EDGE
Senator revolver
Contact/fuse grenades depending on how I'm feeling that day

Strats:
Airstrike
500kg/EAT depending. I'm pretty good with killing bt's with the 500kg.
Laser Dog
Arc Thrower

This is the ultimate Rambo set up, I feel. You can deal with most anything and any quantity, provided you have a little time and distance. Both airstrikes are for closing bug holes, cleaning them out, or for the 500kg, blowing up hard targets in buildings and bt's. The scythe gives you a bit of horde clear on the extraction point without having to risk TK'ing your friends.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 25, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Note: the above post almost certainly meant Sickle instead of Scythe for your primary weapon.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Fighting bugs I tried out the plasma punisher today. It's not awful, but it crosses over a lot with the grenade launcher which I was also carrying. The other weapon I used for the first time was the knight SMG from the Super Citizen Edition. Once you adjust for the rate of fire and recoil the knight is amazing. Paired with a grenade launcher, supply pack, stun grenades, and EMS mortar/Eagle 500kg I was able to provide really good suppressive fire and general support for my team, while also acting as the hard drive caddy on those objectives.

The knight is probably going to be my general primary for bug missions now. It is the machine pistol on steroids and I love it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Knight with crouch/recoil armor is a huge difference Im told.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Fighting bugs I tried out the plasma punisher today. It's not awful, but it crosses over a lot with the grenade launcher which I was also carrying. The other weapon I used for the first time was the knight SMG from the Super Citizen Edition. Once you adjust for the rate of fire and recoil the knight is amazing. Paired with a grenade launcher, supply pack, stun grenades, and EMS mortar/Eagle 500kg I was able to provide really good suppressive fire and general support for my team, while also acting as the hard drive caddy on those objectives.

The knight is probably going to be my general primary for bug missions now. It is the machine pistol on steroids and I love it.

If you have the opportunity, try the Sickle. It's an AR that has unlimited ammo* and does more damage than the knight. I have never seen anyone aside from you say anything good about the knight.

*provided you allow the weapon to cool off before the heat sink fries. Even then you've got 6 of them! It's bonkers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I assume most people fire it, realise they're looking at the sky and the gun is empty, and say it's poo poo. Like I said, if you can control it it is like a bigger version of the machine pistol. And it has an actually decent burst fire mode, if you're a coward.

I quite like the Sickle, but the the spin up time can be an issue when you're switching to it to deal with mid/close range enemies. I was using the grenade launcher, so I wanted something I could transition to as enemies closed, and the Knight seemed perfect for that role. And more important than any other consideration, it was fun to fire. Very SG-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It can be as good as it wants, I'm not paying $20 for a new SMG.