Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I like Star Ocean 2 R's take on parties. You can only have 4 in your party formation like the original game. But your other 4 party members are on standby and can be called to run in and do one attack when their gauge has filled up. Depending on set up this can happen pretty frequently too. So it feels like your whole party is there.

Breath of Fire 4 also had a decent system. You had your 3 in the front fighting and 3 on reserve. You can swap people out of either group at any time, and characters in reserve regenerate health/ap every turn while in reserve. So it gives you some incentive to swap people mid battle and use all your party members.

So there's some clever ways to get around the limitation at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm playing Grandia 1 right now. It's a charming game so far, but the battle camera is shaking and swaying so much. I find it very disorienting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

anyone play Metal Max Xeno? opinions on Reborn?

as an aside, Cygames bought the the Metal Max IP from Kadokawa in 2022, fyi

Reborn is the same game but with all of the story removed to make it more free form like the older games. It does not, so all you're doing is playing a game with bits missing.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I’m replaying Rogue Galaxy. It’s not the best, but I still find it so compelling. I wish they’d rerelease it… mainly because I’m dogshit at it and would like some Final Fantasy-esque remaster boosters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HellOnEarth posted:

I’m replaying Rogue Galaxy. It’s not the best, but I still find it so compelling. I wish they’d rerelease it… mainly because I’m dogshit at it and would like some Final Fantasy-esque remaster boosters.

A remaster for PC of this, and White Knight Chronicles 2, are two games that I badly want to see brought to modern platforms from Level-5.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, yeah, In Stars and Time is good. A bit repetitive and I wish Sifrin got more useful stuff since they're the one who keeps most stuff but the cast is absolutely charming. And I like how it slowly drips how off things are, like Loop not wanting to look at your teammates, Sif's running away story apparently being something they repressed, the moments where reality glitches like the daydreaming lady, the moments party members slowly realize something's wrong... I do really wish saving also kept your "item state" so you don't have to start from Dormont to keep some items, I'd be fine with things like the Broken Doll you can't keep because it's in a dead end. Also kinda weird that for a timeloop game the only 4 causes for death are Rocks, Battle, Tears and Banana.

that said the secret room on floor 3 is mean cause now i'm obsessively looking for more in previous floors. Gotta continue on Floor 3 after getting the Floor 2 key.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

HellOnEarth posted:

It’s on PS4.

Edit: oh with QOL.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
started clash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFkmgis3UYk

cant say what i expected the final evolution of the zeno clash series to be was a vaguely nier and dark souls inspired third person action rpg about a man with a weird stump head forming a familial bond with a cursed bird boy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
best game last year that no one paid attention to, mostly because of that title

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a shame cause i feel like zeno clash 1 and 2 were decently notable games when they came out but nobody really talks about them either anymore. they've always been favorites of mine and i've been curious just what this game was like. so far i am enjoying it a lot

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
How's Underrail? Is it good/bad, worth getting? And if it is worth getting, should I go with the oddity XP system or the "classic" one?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it's a shame cause i feel like zeno clash 1 and 2 were decently notable games when they came out but nobody really talks about them either anymore. they've always been favorites of mine and i've been curious just what this game was like. so far i am enjoying it a lot

I mostly remember them being regarded as interesting games conceptually but nobody ever said "oh yeah I had a blast, gotta tell errybody!" so its oddness didn't attract anybody in and there was no word of mouth coming from those who played.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's stupid. they're really good games. well zeno clash 2 has a bit of weird bloat and never figures out what exactly its rpg mechanics are there for but you can mostly just continue to focus on the brawling and it's basically as good as it could be in that one. in a way the games always felt like what i wanted oddworld to be, a lot more narratively and morally unconventional in their view of their world compared to how focused on direct analogy and savior journeys oddworld is. i love how much of zeno clash 2's story is predicated on the fact that objectively golem is not doing anything wrong at all, he's probably the most conventionally good guy in the setting, he's the only person who thinks zenozoic can be made a better place to live in and his idea of criminal justice is relatively lenient, it's just his idea of good doesn't mesh at all with the main characters' because they grew up in entirely different worlds and hold entirely different values lol

also owns how zeno clash 1 was entirely about ghat's road trip with this random girl he just met who's really into him for some reason and the moment you meet her again in zeno clash 2 they get really awkward because they broke up between games because ghat was just too much of an utter loving weirdo lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 24, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
golem starts with the very reasonable position of "a serial child kidnapper should not be allowed to get away with it" and then his open contempt for the zenos' anarcho-primitivism bungles it all up from there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf his competition here is several other golems who all got so bored they just decided to openly engage in experimenting on living creatures because they don't really regard anything in zenozoik as even possessing any real sentience or being deserving of any respect as living creatures in the first place lol. i guess the ultimate evil was how the system they were sent there in didn't have any sort of consideration for the mental toll their job was going to take on them

i also do love how as hosed up as all the golems are the end battle of zeno clash 2 makes it clear the other golems cared about each other just because they were the only people who felt like they could relate to each other at all. the golems were really cool characters and it's funny how much about them is just stuff that's implied because as ghat you aren't really playing someone who's too interested in exploring what their problem was. all ghat knows is that they're motherfuckers, and ghat wants to punch motherfuckers until they leave his family alone. who's his family? the serial kidnapper, obviously. who else?

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 24, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
and i love that all of this about ghat makes perfect sense because one of the first things you learn about him is that he's a guy who just went out into the woods and lived with a bunch of people who sleep in their own piss and eat each other. because to ghat, that is the ideal life style. it's impossible to question whether anything ghat says or does afterwards fits his character. the boy was a lost cause from the start. it owns how it culminates in him and rimat meeting their dad for the first time in their lives and they literally have nothing to say to him. they have no human connection with him. it is impossible for them to understand or relate with each other and he doesn't even take center stage as a big boss fight, he's just one in a group of angry parents you have to beat the poo poo out of and the most of an interaction you get afterwards is him awkwardly grumbling to himself

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 24, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i really like what artifacts of chaos does with the corwids. pseudo is less of a twitchy-eyed weirdo than ghat but everything in artifacts feels like a reasonable culmination of the ideas put forth in the last two games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh it is very funny that the guy who looks way more hosed up and weird is the one who's more normal

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

NewMars posted:

How's Underrail? Is it good/bad, worth getting? And if it is worth getting, should I go with the oddity XP system or the "classic" one?

It's got problematic elements with misogyny in dialogue (esp if your character is female) but is kind of peerless in terms of the way it demands that you optimize your character relentlessly, which gives it a sharp back edge. You can put a character into unrecoverable fail states by building poorly, so if this bothers you read a build guide. The systems are very rewarding to grasp and master. Oddity is generally the most fun for your first few playthroughs. if you're committed to making a bad build work you can fish your way out of the hole... Very slowly.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I was in the mood for some RPG junk food so I bought Crystal Ortha for $7.

It's a Kemco joint, but sometimes you want the Jack in the Box tacos of video games.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the thing is, jack in the box is hugely popular, whereas this game appears to have a single-digit number of steam reviews. that seems less like "jrpg junk food" and more like "jrpg prepackaged gas station sandwich"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
could be a surprisingly good prepackaged gas station sandwich

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The Colonel posted:

could be a surprisingly good prepackaged gas station sandwich

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the thoughts of one other need not define your own

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

abraham linksys posted:

the thing is, jack in the box is hugely popular, whereas this game appears to have a single-digit number of steam reviews. that seems less like "jrpg junk food" and more like "jrpg prepackaged gas station sandwich"

:ok:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some time ago I heard about a decent action rpg with Toriyama art. Was that probably Dragon Quest Treasures?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

looking at impressions, it might be a better idea to give Builders 2 a try

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"A good action RPG with Toriyama art style" isn't easy to narrow down TBH. Dragon Quest has a bunch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m pretty sure it was Treasures after looking up footage. It was a fairly recent game, which I didn’t make clear with my wording.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

Some time ago I heard about a decent action rpg with Toriyama art. Was that probably Dragon Quest Treasures?

If it's that recent it's probably Infinity Strash?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Builders 2 is amazing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mycot posted:

If it's that recent it's probably Infinity Strash?

Don’t think so, because it’s too recent and I’ve only heard negative things about it.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Rinkles posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is good if you can stand Musou games.

Sand Land is an upcoming action-RPG with Toriyama art too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I’m looking forward to Sand Land.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRsVzmcyFqE

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Reached Act 3 on In Stars and Time. Man I was smelling the "poo poo loops again after beating the King" but drat they way it was presented made it hurt a little. I guess it's time now for true sidequesting for your pals.

I do wish saving kept your souvenirs at the loop point, I can deal with levels resetting but man it does make me feel like I should loop from the start to keep the Picture and Four Leaf cause looping forwards just makes you lose it all. Also hoping the Bomb has a secret use cause like 1200 damage to the king and a "what?" felt tame when Odile just murders them with Paper V Alpha Strike Maniax.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tequila Bob posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is good if you can stand Musou games.

Sand Land is an upcoming action-RPG with Toriyama art too.

Yeah I had a decent time with DQH2

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Not exactly the thread for it but what's the current gold standard for Musou games now? Haven't played one since Dynasty Warriors 4.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Professor Moriarty posted:

Not exactly the thread for it but what's the current gold standard for Musou games now? Haven't played one since Dynasty Warriors 4.

my personal favorite is sengoku basara 2, but hyrule warriors is still probably unmatched in terms of content volume and mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

i preferred Sengoku Barasa