Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Aerith and Tifa are really having fun on this trip.
Kind of forgot what we were suppose to be doing in the main plot.

Yeah, the scene on the trip to Costa Del Sol where they're hiding behind some crates and gossiping was a real highlight for me.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Mixed feeling about the story, especially with regards to the whole multiverse shenanigans, but that might just be because of bad timing due to multiverse fatigue caused by the MCU.

Starshower continues to be the best ability to use A++ would obliterate jerks with it again.

Yeah, I'm a little mixed on that as well but I'm willing to reserve judgment until the next part, to see what they do with it. I think it also helped that for whatever reason I interpreted the other worlds as being like, self contained pockets of other possible worlds, more than full parallel realities, so I wasn't even thinking about MCU baggage until I was talking the ending over with my wife once it was done.

I think my issues with a lot of the multiverse stuff is that it still very much feels like an act break in a story, not an ending of its own, I really hope the wait for part three is short enough that I won't have completely forgotten the ending beats when I start it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think ive already said this itt but it bears repeating, aerith and tifa becoming besties almost immediately is one of the best character beats in these games on par with wedge being genuinely scared of tifa

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think ive already said this itt but it bears repeating, aerith and tifa becoming besties almost immediately is one of the best character beats in these games on par with wedge being genuinely scared of tifa

in the original a lot of their interactions are love triangle bullshit. this game executes it much better by having tifa and aerith join forces to pick on cloud instead

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I don't know what a lot of you are on about, new Cid absolutely fucks and I'm super hyped to play him and his handsome face in part 3.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I really like this article https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fa...fas-friendship/ where Nojima talks about wanting to do more with their friendship, because he didn't feel he had executed the idea well enough in the original, and it really shows.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

goethe.cx posted:

in the original a lot of their interactions are love triangle bullshit. this game executes it much better by having tifa and aerith join forces to pick on cloud instead

I think it's a much more interesting and in my experience, realistic take on the love triangle stuff.

Also I just got the nibelham Chocobo and both the capture minigame and the actual Chocobo ability are the funniest version of their respective types in the entire game if we are not counting the dune buggy as a type of chocobo

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I don't know what a lot of you are on about, new Cid absolutely fucks and I'm super hyped to play him and his handsome face in part 3.

Yes, Cid is a complete delight, and I love him.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Am I supposed to be able to beat the battle square fights when you first get to gold saucer? The first fight is against 8 enemies and they just melt me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I think so far at chapter 11 I love a lot about this game and even the bits I don't like aren't necessary to do anyway so its a near perfect experience but holy poo poo I wish they had loadouts for characters. I'm slowly getting to a spot where I have enough materia to have everyone in the party adequately kitted out for one role at any time so I can switch out party members a bit easier but i still can't essentially change the role a character plays without rearranging at least two characters materia and one characters equipment

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Books On Tape posted:

Am I supposed to be able to beat the battle square fights when you first get to gold saucer? The first fight is against 8 enemies and they just melt me.

I think I did most (if not all) of the unlocked fights there as soon as I arrived. The ones with big groups of enemies tend to melt to anything that hits AoE.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Books On Tape posted:

Yeah you should be able to beat that battle, it’s hard but not impossible. I wish I could remember what strategy worked for me!

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think so far at chapter 11 I love a lot about this game and even the bits I don't like aren't necessary to do anyway so its a near perfect experience but holy poo poo I wish they had loadouts for characters. I'm slowly getting to a spot where I have enough materia to have everyone in the party adequately kitted out for one role at any time so I can switch out party members a bit easier but i still can't essentially change the role a character plays without rearranging at least two characters materia and one characters equipment

gently caress, I had quite a few fights in the game that I stubbornly died to a couple of times before sucking it up and shuffling my materia loadouts for an easy win. I would then spend the next 30 minutes thinking "ah gently caress I should have given that materia back to Cloud" at the start of every fight.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

they absolutely need to add a way to transfer all of a character's materia to another character at once. transferring materia is clunkier than in the OG

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah you should be able to beat that battle, it’s hard but not impossible. I wish I could remember what strategy worked for me!

Anything that does AOE is good, I just did a Spellblade and literally one-shotted that battle lol

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Books On Tape posted:

It's possible, but honestly not worth it. Just come back later.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Disorder regenerates ATB based on number of enemies hit. You can very easily get unlimited ATB spamming Disorder in the center of all the enemies.

Aero spells to pull the enemies together also help. If Yuffie is available, Windstorm does a crazy amount of work.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So does anyone know why synergy skills sometimes change their shortcut position between triangle and square? It keeps happening to me and when I notice it the only thing I've changed on any character is at most some materia, no party or combat settings changes

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So does anyone know why synergy skills sometimes change their shortcut position between triangle and square? It keeps happening to me and when I notice it the only thing I've changed on any character is at most some materia, no party or combat settings changes

I’ve noticed that too. I wonder if the game sometimes changes the order of your active party members after cut scenes or something.

I’m through most Nibelheim open world stuff and just starting on the plot segment of that chapter, but now I’m legitimately worried that I won’t have time to finish the game in the next 10 days or so, after which I’m going on a trip that will take me away from my PS5 for a few weeks. What’s sort of the minimum and maximum time it would take to finish from mid chapter 11? I’m trying to do all side quests and open world stuff, but I can start skipping things if necessary.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Lmao red is such a dweeb I just ran past the moogles shroom and he says "we gotta go party with the moogles!!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

That's weird. It does change depending on who is in the 1,2 and 3 position but I've never noticed it change at random.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’ve noticed that too. I wonder if the game sometimes changes the order of your active party members after cut scenes or something.

I’m through most Nibelheim open world stuff and just starting on the plot segment of that chapter, but now I’m legitimately worried that I won’t have time to finish the game in the next 10 days or so, after which I’m going on a trip that will take me away from my PS5 for a few weeks. What’s sort of the minimum and maximum time it would take to finish from mid chapter 11? I’m trying to do all side quests and open world stuff, but I can start skipping things if necessary.

I mostly skipped most side stuff until I hit the point of no return in chapter 13, but between going back and clearing as much side content as I could stomach (10-15 hours according to play time) and then finishing the game after the point of no return (another 8-10 hours according to play time), plus everything between chapter 11 until then...there's a lot. It's a lot.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Huge shoutout to turner the shinra grunt queens blood player in nibelhem who has a whole spiel about how he's the best at slacking off to play cards and calls you comrade

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Huge shoutout to turner the shinra grunt queens blood player in nibelhem who has a whole spiel about how he's the best at slacking off to play cards and calls you comrade

we stan a reverse wage theft king

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

During the Junon segment you run into a grunt gleefully taking about how he's aaaaaaall about slacking on duty. I wonder if it's the same guy, or if Shinra's got a club of dedicated slackers.

Made it through Chapter 12. My date was Barret, and I liked the bit of backstory you get in the sky wheel scene with him. (I'm also firmly in the 'holy poo poo nobody try to date this man' camp given Cloud's goings on in this game, so I was happy for bro time)

Send in the Clowns in the Battle Square is kicking my rear end though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Tifa and Aerith being BFFs is super cute and I'm glad it never devolves into weird love triangle jealousy stuff. Like it's such a simple little interaction but in Nibel when Tifa is checking out her house, if you go up the water tower with Aerith, you can see Tifa through the window. She spots you guys and waves and while Cloud just kind of sits there awkwardly, Aerith waves back with both hands enthusiastically. Or Tifa grabbing Aerith's hand to pull her through the crowd at the Gold Saucer, or Tifa going "come my child" and Aerith replying "guide me o Tifa" if you switch to Tifa during their Costa Del Sol part

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah I love this. It's great that they occasionally reference conversations they've had that the player/Cloud isn't privy to. Like they have an actual life and friendship outside of cutscenes.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's weird to me there are places on the internet were people will get into viciously angry arguments for tens of thousands of posts in a row, for weeks on end, about cloud x tifa VS cloud x aerith when it's pretty clear Tifa and Aerith are gonna marry each other.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I really enjoyed the bit where Cloud proudly tells Tifa he's remembered Zack, who fell in the water, on the way up to the reactor, and she's like "oh great cool why don't I tell Aerith about that". I like to imagine their conversation later.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was successful at getting a date with Tifa, just like the whispers intended. That poo poo’s canon.

The rest of the chapter sucked rear end though! And I don’t want to start that one side quest until a patch comes out to fix it so I’m going to run out of stuff to do soon!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Count me in as one more vote towards "navigating Gongaga was not nearly as big of a pain as navigating Cosmo Canyon is". Managed to get all of the World Intel okay enough but the side quests are a huge pain in the rear end to get to.

Edit: Also Gears and Gambits was fine... not sure what all the fuss was about

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was successful at getting a date with Tifa, just like the whispers intended. That poo poo’s canon.

The rest of the chapter sucked rear end though! And I don’t want to start that one side quest until a patch comes out to fix it so I’m going to run out of stuff to do soon!

I was able to complete the sidequest last night so clearly the bug isn't a 100% thing.

For the record I did things in the following order: speed, chocobo, battle, bike. And also my previous bike high score was just a touch under his goal score, which also may be what helped avoid the bugged trigger

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

IcePhoenix posted:

I was able to complete the sidequest last night so clearly the bug isn't a 100% thing.

For the record I did things in the following order: speed, chocobo, battle, bike. And also my previous bike high score was just a touch under his goal score, which also may be what helped avoid the bugged trigger

I’ll save before I start it and maybe that will work for me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Count me in as one more vote towards "navigating Gongaga was not nearly as big of a pain as navigating Cosmo Canyon is". Managed to get all of the World Intel okay enough but the side quests are a huge pain in the rear end to get to.

Edit: Also Gears and Gambits was fine... not sure what all the fuss was about
Gears was fine, I didn't want to gently caress with Fort Condor For The Third Time But Obnoxiously Limited so I just did the auto-program stuff. So long as you get the preset where each robot has a specific elemental type, all you gotta do is every time a baddie spawns, spawn a robot of its counter element. Boom, done.

I liked Cosmo more than Gongaga but they both had the same core problem, which is that if I know where I'm trying to go, I should be able to look at the map and see how to get there. Gongaga fails because more often than not, you actually need to climb up an unmarked rope somewhere and then bounce off three unmarked mushrooms. Cosmo fails because you actually need to be jumping from a visually unrelated point halfway across the loving map, but I rate it higher because at least the jump points are marked and you can mostly work backwards from your objective by following the boost fans from jump to jump until you find one you can climb up to.

Game's not great at vertical movement and the map has no way to indicate it, hope they fix this for part 3.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally caught up with the thread. Still getting through this giant meaty rear end game since I was a week late to picking it up. Just got to Cosmo Canyon, doing dungeon-y things before I let myself loose on the region in full. Game fucks. Cosmo Canyon is loving gorgeous, though I'm biased as a huge fan of deserts & canyons (and also living in one). The musical vibes in Gongaga were unmatched though.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

Yeah, the scene on the trip to Costa Del Sol where they're hiding behind some crates and gossiping was a real highlight for me.

I read Traces of Two Pasts before Rebirth came out, and for you or anyone else who doesn’t know, that scene you’re describing is straight up the last two pages of Aerith’s chapter. Her chapter is her telling Tifa her backstory, the guy Tifa mentions is the one that helped Aerith and Ifalna escape Shinra.

Like the only difference between how the book did that part versus how the game did it is that Cloud hadn’t changed out of his Shinra trooper disguise yet in the book.

There’s so many other references to the book peppered through the game, mostly in dialogue during side quests with Tifa, Aerith, or Barret. Aside from Kyrie and Leslie first showing up in The Kids Are Alright, I don’t think there are any references to the other two books that I noticed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Synergy ability where Aerith makes like a forcefield and Tifa jumps around inside of it going absolutely loving berserk all the enemies at once and then punches the ground super hard hitting everyone inside absolutely rules

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Macaluso posted:

The Synergy ability where Aerith makes like a forcefield and Tifa jumps around inside of it going absolutely loving berserk all the enemies at once and then punches the ground super hard hitting everyone inside absolutely rules

I like the one where Aerith and Red do their best impression of Rinoa and Angelo from FFVIII

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Barret and Cait's where they form a WoFF stack on the Mog and do donuts while Barret happily just hits the "fire everything" setting on his arm is my favorite so far.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The loving Nibelheim chocobo wrangle is absolutely awful, I could do without this entire mechanic in the third game. Ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I assume next game's chocobo focus will be breeding (and maybe racing again?)

Would be nice to keep the stealth missions firmly in the past.