Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Soo, everyone's pawns staying... healthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Ytlaya posted:

The game implied to me that stuff you've lost like that can be repurchased later at the salvage guy at the border town. I'm guessing/hoping that he exists as a way to prevent you from permanently loving yourself over like that.

I accidentally sold the courtly breeches you get given for sneaking into the masquerade, I really hope they're a version I can get back cheap from the salvage guy and don't cost as much as the courtly breeches you can buy from the sundries shop in the Vernworth for 100k+.

Failing that, anyone know any chests where I can find courtly clothes? I found a chest full of marcher armour in the castle which made me annoyed at having bought that for my sneaking mission earlier.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Dammit a quest auto-failed when I did a Point of No Return quest. This is one of the newer releases where I'd want to replay to see all the content but all the snooping about the palace during the early game main quests was boring when I want to be spin slashing monsters.

I'm in Battahl now so hopefully the main quests are more action packed but DD1's main quests from what I remember were more actiony/interesting

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LibbyM posted:

do I need to do anything particular to have my pawn be hireable by random people playing the game, or is the simple act of playing the game automatically seeding her into people's rifts? Can people be using her when I'm also online using her, or will she only get use when I'm offline?

It's automatically set to public and people can hire your pawn while you're playing

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Shyrka posted:

Failing that, anyone know any chests where I can find courtly clothes? I found a chest full of marcher armour in the castle which made me annoyed at having bought that for my sneaking mission earlier.

In Vernworth castle offices Sven's room has a full set of courtly clothes

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LibbyM posted:

do I need to do anything particular to have my pawn be hireable by random people playing the game, or is the simple act of playing the game automatically seeding her into people's rifts? Can people be using her when I'm also online using her, or will she only get use when I'm offline?

Your Pawn is always available, though their status only updates when you sleep at an Inn (not at campsites). You do have to go into the Rift to set their Pawn Quest though once someone completes the initial "hang out with my pawn for a day and a night" quest.

Multiple people can use your pawn at once, and they never disappear from your own game (though they will start talking to you about stuff they learned in other people's games).

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

LibbyM posted:

So long as you have the network settings turned on and have a pawn, they will be available for hire regardless of if you are online or off. If you got a bunch of skill ups or new equipment on them then rest at an inn and that most recent “snapshot” will journey abroad. Inn resting is also the point at which you’ll get updates on what they’ve been doin.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

It's automatically set to public and people can hire your pawn while you're playing

I never really played much of the original dragon's dogma even though it looked like my kind of game, so this all a bit new to me.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

So long as you have the network settings turned on and have a pawn, they will be available for hire regardless of if you are online or off. If you got a bunch of skill ups or new equipment on them then rest at an inn and that most recent “snapshot” will journey abroad. Inn resting is also the point at which you’ll get updates on what they’ve been doin.

Cool, makes sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Somehow I have yet to find a single Seeker token thing, even though I've explored a pretty large range of places.

GreatGreen posted:

There is honestly no excuse for the game not having a lock on mechanic. You obviously wanted to block that attack. It’s not believable that a person in real life would want to block an attack with a shield and simply just face the wrong direction by like 40 degrees and then whoops they get hit. It’s stupid. The developers were idiots not to include it and it honestly destroys the verisimilitude of playing a melee character that can block because of how clumsy the simple act of blocking is without lock on.

I will absolutely die on this hill. Anyone who disagrees is wrong, and not least because if you don’t want to use a lock on mechanic, were it to be added, you could simply not click the stick to activate it.

I feel like another issue here is how good the AI is. The AI seems quite good at blocking. My pawn rarely takes damage. I doubt I'd be able to do as well myself.

I still want to try it at some point, since I like the idea of being a shield-user.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 25, 2024

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Shyrka posted:

I accidentally sold the courtly breeches you get given for sneaking into the masquerade, I really hope they're a version I can get back cheap from the salvage guy and don't cost as much as the courtly breeches you can buy from the sundries shop in the Vernworth for 100k+.

There's like 3 or 4 sets just lying around in various nobles houses.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shyrka posted:

there are at least 2 sets just sitting in houses in the noble quarter

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Not sure if some of you haven't figured it out but you can use a health item when you're definitely dead if you're fast enough on the trigger, like game over isn't instant.

Been ranking up spearhand and I'm not sure I like it too much, sometimes abilities just don't do any damage, which seems like it might be a bug. It does have a very fun movement attack tho that really, really shines in Drake fights, and a way to instant stagger regular sized guys.

On the side of something extremely funny happening I found a shallow cave in berttal and something like 12 lizards clown carred out of it. At the time I was still spearhand and got to force throw like 5 at a time into other lizards. Very niche use ability though

Ytlaya posted:

Somehow I have yet to find a single Seeker token thing, even though I've explored a pretty large range of places.

I feel like another issue here is how good the AI is. The AI seems quite good at blocking. My pawn rarely takes damage. I doubt I'd be able to do as well myself.

I still want to try it at some point, since I like the idea of being a shield-user.

The AI is pretty good, my main gripe is pathfinding can be very bad with verticality and they can get literally stuck. Fighter is pretty fun, and perfect blocks can make some fights go much much faster with the opening it can make

Sloober fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 25, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LibbyM posted:

If you want, put your details on the sheet and add some people, so goons can hire her for free:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CPUxGkeK6FHGsSe1igMFOsSc-81RxfUxVHRDqr-KyE4/edit#gid=0

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sloober posted:

Not sure if some of you haven't figured it out but you can use a health item when you're definitely dead if you're fast enough on the trigger, like game over isn't instant.

Been ranking up spearhand and I'm not sure I like it too much, sometimes abilities just don't do any damage, which seems like it might be a bug. It does have a very fun movement attack tho that really, really shines in Drake fights, and a way to instant stagger regular sized guys.

On the side of something extremely funny happening I found a shallow cave in berttal and something like 12 lizards clown carred out of it. At the time I was still spearhand and got to force throw like 5 at a time into other lizards. Very niche use ability though

Is it possible there's some sort of different damage scaling happening?

I get the impression Mystic Archer might scale on magic or something, since I found a bow that gives a ton of magic but has low attack, so maybe it's similar for Mystic Spearhand?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreatGreen posted:

There is honestly no excuse for the game not having a lock on mechanic. You obviously wanted to block that attack. It’s not believable that a person in real life would want to block an attack with a shield and simply just face the wrong direction by like 40 degrees and then whoops they get hit. It’s stupid. The developers were idiots not to include it and it honestly destroys the verisimilitude of playing a melee character that can block because of how clumsy the simple act of blocking is without lock on.

I will absolutely die on this hill. Anyone who disagrees is wrong, and not least because if you don’t want to use a lock on mechanic, were it to be added, you could simply not click the stick to activate it.

I just noticed there's a button to change your direction when blocking that seems to kind of work like a lock on, but i have not confirmed that for sure

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Is it possible there's some sort of different damage scaling happening?

I get the impression Mystic Archer might scale on magic or something, since I found a bow that gives a ton of magic but has low attack, so maybe it's similar for Mystic Spearhand?

No I don't think so, I can be on the exact same type of monster. It's extremely perplexing

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Sloober posted:

A word of warning that the loss penalty for this seems pretty severe, and continuing to drink for follow-up blows can eat up most your bar in loss.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GreatGreen posted:

It's kind of weird because it feels like there is a soft lock on mechanic? I'd have to test more but when fighting "boss" type monsters like the lich and the chimera in the waterfall cave, if I blocked my character would sort of strafe and always keep the shield pointed at them, and even when you use regular skills in combat like blink strike you will home in on a dude and attack one specific guy, not just veer off into nowhere. But for some bizarre reason neither of these apply to blocking in regular combat against like, four goblins.

Raserys posted:

I felt really proud of myself when I used thief jumps to get up to a ledge I wasn't supposed to, only to come crashing down when they had the foresight to lock the door to the dungeon right behind it

Using the jumping slash skill fighter has to jankily ascend ledges and rocks my character can't grab is very fun and rewarding.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm really missing having strider skills on my archer. I can't believe there's 0 defensive options when something charges at me besides run away? It seems so dull. In DD1 I would have access to a roll at least. Archer currently just feels like half a class, which is a pity because offensively it's still awesome.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm really missing having strider skills on my archer. I can't believe there's 0 defensive options when something charges at me besides run away? It seems so dull. In DD1 I would have access to a roll at least. Archer currently just feels like half a class, which is a pity because offensively it's still awesome.

Use the jump kick, it gives you a good amount of space and can interrupt charge or jump abilities that things use on you if you connect with it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Question about the true ending. Is that something that I need to have done certain things before nearing the end of the game? Just wondering whether I should look at a well through to make sure I’m not missing what’s necessary.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
is the armor on the cover with the big stupid red circle on it actually in the game or is it bait? Haven't found it yet but it looks sick and I would like it.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I'm having a lot of fun, only about 10 hours in. A bit worried that I will soon get tired of killing the same enemies over and over again but the world looks really good. Hopefully there will be more areas that just the forest. And my other hope is that my archer or ma will eventually get a dodge of some kind...

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
The gouging skewer fighter skill is incredibly fun. Took off a whole ogre health bar in less than 10 seconds by repeatedly stabbing him in the brain. Also super fun and cathartic to use on regular size enemies like those saurian dickheads.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I read that you can allow your own pawn to guide you during quests, how do I enable this?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Phlegmish posted:

I read that you can allow your own pawn to guide you during quests, how do I enable this?

From my understanding, they only do that if they did the quest with someone else in another world. Then all you need to do is set that quest as your primary and they will guide you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

I think they need to have been hired and gone through the quest (with someone else) for them to know what's what.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Neo_Crimson posted:

What are the best ways to make money early game? I've been consistently strapped for cash buying/upgrading equipment and I just finished the Nameless Village which sells lots of expensive Thief gear.

this was a while ago but i've made a boatload of money by quickly swapping out pawns with 10k gold for x kill missions. mostly cyclops or ogres. probably like 150k so far but i've mostly spent it on ferrystones whenever i see them for sale

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

sometimes when a quest is active a pawn will go "hey i know where this is do you want me to go there?" and if you hit the "GO" button before they finish talking or a bit after they'll just go "ok man" and start running. if they're guiding you somewhere there will be a hand icon next to their name, and sometimes they're assholes about it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Seems everyone here picked melee? No posts about casters so I can get hot tips? :lol:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh maybe it's this specific quest (The Arisen's Shadow) then, it has a blue hand next to it, but nothing happens when I press 1.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

Seems everyone here picked melee? No posts about casters so I can get hot tips? :lol:

I'm an archer, soon to be an MA

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kefa posted:

I'm an archer, soon to be an MA

How far in the game is this? I've been bouncing between archer and mage and I kinda want to do both which I think I saw in some previews but I'm otherwise playing this blind.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Ive been playing as sorcerer and it's fun. I bring a mage, warrior and fighter with me and it seems to work decently. Using High Levin a lot but also High Hagol which if you cast it enough it tends to slow monsters to a crawl. High Seism did a lot of damage vs a golem.

I just got the two maister skills maelstrom and meteoron and they are both sick as gently caress.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

quick spell is loving stupid and owns extremely hard, it turns every cast time spell except the BIG ones into "gently caress you here's fire in half a second", and it means you can use a bunch of variety spells and not need to keep an emergency fast spell on hand. there's also a core skill that lets you just straight up hold a cast for later which is also insane. sorcerers are fun and neat, biggest problem they have is that they get kinda boring IMO, pawns are good and strong enough now that at least on NG things don't really live long enough to warrant big spells so you're basically just casting levinbolt or salamander for the hundredth time. I realize this is not caster specific at all, but it turns the caster loop into "stand on a hill and cast Penis Explosion on goblins"

mage is still definitely the support caster, it can do some damage but it's the only pawn vocation that can heal, which is annoying.

are we considering magic archer as a caster, because if so it loving owns and you should play it as soon as you get it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How far in the game is this? I've been bouncing between archer and mage and I kinda want to do both which I think I saw in some previews but I'm otherwise playing this blind.

it's weirdly towards the end, you can technically run DIRECTLY there if you know where to go and how to do it but it would be extremely unpleasant

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I assume as soon as you max out your vacation? I'm almost there so will update later.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Geographically, it seems really far into the main story quest (not that it’s too long, but still)

You can technically get there as soon as you cross the border but it’s a *lot* of hobgoblins, ogres, a Minotaur, and maybe a griffin if it decides to crash the party in the long walk getting there

It’s a really fun class coming from someone who started archer, but honestly, I miss the archer jump kick

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah, I figured it was going to be later in the game but it sounds like it'll be a long while before I get into it. I'll probably pivot to focusing on archer and maybe some thief in the meantime.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Broken Cog posted:

Man, the Saintess of the Slums had an anticlimatic ending.

I actually had to look up what you were supposed to do for the last step.

i can't figure it out, i feel like i should be able to get the doctor to help the guy. i've even finished the quest in the same day you start it and wasn't able to talk to him afterwords.

can't seem to figure out the correct sequence to help save the guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ah, I figured it was going to be later in the game but it sounds like it'll be a long while before I get into it. I'll probably pivot to focusing on archer and maybe some thief in the meantime.

That's just be guessing though. I never really played the first game, so don't take my word for it. Just seems logical.