Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Saladman posted:

I'm not surprised by countries with significant and EXTREMELY rural areas, like Canada, the US, and NZ, but... Singapore? Luxembourg? How do either of those not get 100%? They're not exactly rural or poor. Maybe Luxembourg has some old pipes in some farmhouses in the Ardennes or something, but Singapore?

Switzerland is also the only places I've ever gotten sick from drinking the water... but I was drinking it out of a pipe in the mountain, and it was marked "kein Trinkwasser" so I guess that one was on me.

Singapore has a lot of issues with lack of water, even if their waste treatment is pretty good.

NLB/SG posted:

Singapore is considered to be one of the most water-stressed countries in the world. It is heavily dependent on rainfall due to the lack of natural water resources, and limited land is available for water storage facilities. Prolonged dry spells cause or threaten to cause water shortages, the most recent being in 1990.

e: Also while it is extremely clean and orderly by regional standards, it's not really all that much compared to western europe.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People think of Luxembourg as a microstate, but it's more of a macro-microstate. Luxembourg City is only a relatively small part of its territory, and most of its population also lives outside of said city.

As to why they're not at 100 regardless, I don't know, but 97.9 is still pretty good

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, apropos microstates.

I just noticed this image again. First day of the week.
And what is up with the Maldives?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

People think of Luxembourg as a microstate, but it's more of a macro-microstate. Luxembourg City is only a relatively small part of its territory, and most of its population also lives outside of said city.

As to why they're not at 100 regardless, I don't know, but 97.9 is still pretty good

This is the Luxembourg fan thread. You do not need to expound on Luxembourg’s unusually large small size to us friend

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Luxembourg has no fans, and if it does, it shouldn't

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought that was South Korea.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

VictualSquid posted:

So, apropos microstates.

98% Muslim, so their weekend is Friday and Saturday, but in their case it's more of a weekstart.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VictualSquid posted:

So, apropos microstates.

Why isnt there a key? What day does Europe start on? I'm so confused.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The first day of the week, HTH.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I recall reading that in some Muslim countries the weekend is Friday and Sunday with a normal work day in between. Most psycho setup possible

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Subjunctive posted:

The people claiming Canada has drinkable tap water should spend some time on Native lands.

Came here to post this. About 9% of Canadians have "poor" or "very poor" drinking water, and a lot of First Nations areas have had boil water advisories for over a decade.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

Came here to post this. About 9% of Canadians have "poor" or "very poor" drinking water, and a lot of First Nations areas have had boil water advisories for over a decade.

That actually seems to fit perfectly with Canada's actual score being about 91/100

Although that's not really how their methodology works - it's based on actual public health outcomes, not raw water quality data.

Bad water is one of the top causes of death, especially child mortality, in the world. I forget if it beats mosquitoes or not.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

TIL that 730 days are three years.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am confused as well. Does the week not start on Monday in the United States?

e: it does not. Holy poo poo I never knew that

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

The key is missing, so that all the Wikipedias can add custom keys in their language.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Private Speech posted:

How did they decide where to put which country?
If it was me doing this, I would put the cut-off below my own country and above whichever country whose inhabitants I want to annoy.

Based on travel advisories, a Danish map would definitely narrow down the number of countries with acceptable water quite severely.

DTurtle posted:

TIL that 730 days are three years.
You have to take into account that Canada is in the Arctic, so it has fewer days than places further south.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I am confused as well. Does the week not start on Monday in the United States?

e: it does not. Holy poo poo I never knew that

I don't know if there's an official legally defined week start day at all. Most people in the US would say Monday in my experience. For calendars some are printed monday first and some sunday, my work's timecard system has a Monday start but at my last job it was sunday, etc.

In kindergarten I definitely sang a days of the week song that started on Monday, and so does my 5 year old at her preschool. Later in school I encountered some sunday-first calendaring and was a little confused at first but it wasn't a big deal.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

This is purely anecdotal, but lol @ Greece supposedly having drinkable tap water. I drank one glass of tapwater there and got the violent shits for an entire week. That was 22 years ago though, so perhaps there has been improvement.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah I got a bit suspicious about that one too.

Might be cooking the books a bit, it's not like Greece doesn't have form for it.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

VictualSquid posted:

So, apropos microstates.

I'm sorry, is this map saying that the week starts on Sunday in North America, Japan, etc?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

kiminewt posted:

I'm sorry, is this map saying that the week starts on Sunday in North America, Japan, etc?
Yes.

Legend is:
Orange: Monday
Pink: Friday
Green: Saturday
Blue: Sunday

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

This is purely anecdotal, but lol @ Greece supposedly having drinkable tap water. I drank one glass of tapwater there and got the violent shits for an entire week. That was 22 years ago though, so perhaps there has been improvement.
Greece was definitely the first "wrong" one I noticed.

kiminewt posted:

Yep, their week starts in the middle of the weekend. That's why bodybuilders go to America, because they have an extra day to train every fortnight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One thing that fucks things up every year (in international business) is that there are different rules for when the first week of the year starts. A lot of systems use week numbers. You can, for instance, encode any date as YYWWD (only one D because a week has seven days) which is fine only if you're operating entirely within one set of rules.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When you ask for a glass of water in Greece but you get the violent shits instead.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

(only one D because a week has seven days)
The greatest tragedy of the Great French Revolution.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

DTurtle posted:

Yes.

Legend is:
Orange: Monday
Pink: Friday
Green: Saturday
Blue: Sunday

Well, the more you know.

So American calendars look like this:

S M T W T F S?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kiminewt posted:

Well, the more you know.

S M T W T F S?
S M T W T F S S actually.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kiminewt posted:

Well, the more you know.

S M T W T F S?

yep. they are mentally deranged

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just checked and my non-American calendar does too.

Again no half measures, either do the weird Evangelical philosemite thing where the world was created on Sunday and ends on Shabbat or go full French revolutionary calendar.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Guavanaut posted:

Just checked and my non-American calendar does too.

American checking in. Yes, printed calendars here are all arranged just like that; I'm not sure I've ever seen one that puts Sunday at the end. Electronic ones (Google calendar, your computer's clock, whatever) can be set to whatever you want but it's really unusual to find someone who changes it away from the Sunday default.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

But Sunday is the last day, a day or rest. Because god rested on that day. Why is it the first day?? WHYYYY????

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
No wonder it's such a deeply disfunctional country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He rested on Shabbat in the original book, and so clearly certain types of Christians carry that back and believe that he made the world on their best day.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

When you ask for a glass of water in Greece but you get the violent shits instead.

The greatest tragedy of the Great French Revolution.

Is this some sort of a "golden dawn" joke?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alnilam posted:

Although that's not really how their methodology works - it's based on actual public health outcomes, not raw water quality data.

Good data on actual public health outcomes is much harder to come by than tests of water quality.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

But Sunday is the last day, a day or rest. Because god rested on that day. Why is it the first day?? WHYYYY????

American Gods were lazy and took a nap during the first workday.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Same but Connecticut and Long Island

edit: Oh and I guess Maryland and Virginias little spit of the peninsula

edit2: Ooh and that little bit of Kentucky that is 3/4 surrounded by Missouri (on the other side of the Mississippi) that you can only get to through Tennessee (the other 1/4) because the Mississippi changed course slightly further south at some point.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 25, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Good data on actual public health outcomes is much harder to come by than tests of water quality.

Take it up with the CDC/Yale, who state that that was their methodology

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Same but Connecticut and Long Island

The only reason someone would want Long Island in their state is to keep them from having own Senators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

No one wants Long Island.