Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LibbyM posted:

my pawn is also not getting hired very often, but she's a healer support mage which I'm betting is also a pretty high number of the pawns that people made for themselves to begin with, so people aren't looking for a second. Might try respecing her into a frontline tank or something.

I'm always looking for that specific pawn type.

The main thing that usually prevents me from hiring a pawn is either "not having a pawn quest I'm interested in" or "not having good stats/skills."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah there's nothing specifically scripted for that quest, it's just that oxcart rides get interrupted by monster attacks a lot.

Funnily, that quest is the only time I've had an oxcart ride be interrupted by a large enemy. All the other times it's just been goblins/harpies. And I take oxcarts pretty frequently, probably almost 10 times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think the real culprit is "Must have quest knowledge" checked by default, so if you're playing slower your pawn is higher level and costs people RC, and he straight up doesn't show up for people higher level who are farther ahead because he doesn't know anything about that stage of the game.

This makes sense, I’ve mostly done random open world instead of focusing on any quests so he probably gets filtered out of every search

I always uncheck that before searching because I don’t really care whether they have knowledge for a quest I won’t get to before I do another 8 hours of random caves

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Looking at some quest information online and I'm a bit sad at how many I seem to have missed.

Phlegmish posted:

[wiping away tears] It's fine I don't care, I don't even want her to get hired

I would say closer to forty would be better. Or at least, I killed my first drake around level 36 or so. And it was a tough fight that left me with very little useable health bar. It's hard to avoid getting damaged, heck it's hard to tell where the next damage is coming from

E: might have quoted the wrong post lol

TastyAvocado posted:

You're very close to the end of the main quest. There are multiple endings though and one has a post game.

Edit: for even more information, I think you're actually at the point of no return, if you want to wander around the world as is and do side quests and stuff, stop the main quest now.

Thanks a lot for answering my question!

explosivo posted:

Not sure where/if you can buy them but I've found at least 3-4 bundles of flowers randomly looting homes and stuff. Usually set up in a vase with the glowy "This thing can be picked up" indicator on it.

I have plenty, I'm more concerned about what to do with them.

I want to give them to Wilhelmina

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Guess I'll be broke for awhile because drakes have kicked my rear end on the rare occasions I've tried to fight them. I'm like level 32 or so now, maybe it'll go better next time. I should probably sell off some monster materials (at least ones I have a lot of) but my hoarder brain makes me obssess over whether or not I'll need them for upgrades later on.

They won't make you tons of money, but definitely sell off any materials above twenty. Very unlikely you'll need more than that, especially for low level materials. You can also sell jewels.

Clocks posted:

Also, I highly recommend trying to go mageless at least a few times before deciding you absolutely need a mage. If you're good at not getting hit often then you will need a mage far less often than you'd think. Chirurgeon pawns can heal others if they have curatives in their inventory and pawns will heal themselves if they have curatives. You probably have a stockpile of salubrious draughts or roborants that you can give to your buddies if you see them having a hard time.

Speaking of forager/logistician, I did the quests that supposedly reward those but never got those so I guess I gotta make friends with some NPCs. I know some people here seem to dislike logistician pawns but I quite liked the ones I hired.

A lot of people have said this, for me I've received those tomes completely randomly, someone just walks up to me, steals the camera, and gives them to me while I was hanging out in the main city. Can't remember if those people were involved in certain quests but I assume so, that's how it went for me.

jokes posted:

How do you people get RC? People aren't summoning my guy too much and I'd sure like to buy the thing that lets me doa a makeover.

I'm not sure but I ended up with a ton of it. You get it from people using your pawn, you can get it from chests I know, and maybe when your complete pawn missions?

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sloober posted:

love dozing off to wake up to an cyclops club smashing the wagon to bits

I killed an Ogre a couple hours ago and noticed that it dropped the club it was wielding. The thing is massive. Probably the length of one and a half standard pawns.

Something I like about this game is the density of the world. Me and my cousin have been playing while chatting on discord and he’s run into quests that I never came across in the starting areas. Last night he was heartbroken about some quest, he hosed up, involving learning magic and now I can’t wait to discover that particular area and one up him.

Sometimes I forget how competitive single player games were in the 90s before the internet introduced walkthroughs to the general public.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you have a red pawn, fighters seem to get summoned a lot more than warriors.
I guess everyone turns their pawn into a warrior when they can, so there's a lack of fighters on higher levels. And fighters probably complement a group better as well, so they're easier to fit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one thing I really like is encountering another adventuring party out in the world. they're almost always an evenly balanced red/blue/green/yellow party of 4 and it seems like sometimes they even have themes. A buddy of mine just came across a party and they were all super old lol

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I've been experimenting with lots of different pawns to be honest. Sometimes I'll grab those random ones off the road! (The only thing I won't do is scab with CAPCOM pawns. Those pawns will never get upgraded by their owner, their owner will never see you leave a gift for them, etc, which takes away the magic of pawns in my opinion. Too bad because I had a broken rift pop one up that was like +6 levels for free but no thanks, game!!)

I've found mages to be questionable in efficacy sometimes, but it could be because I'm on the front lines so they're not as noticeable. Maybe I should be making use of the "to me" command more often so that they will actually plop hastes on me and not the other ranged buddies. I will say they are good for keeping health up in general if nothing else, but I've done fine with mage-less parties. Same with sorc pawns - when they get a big cast off it looks amazing, but sometimes I'll be doing a whole battle and it feels like they're probably getting dicked around or something in the background and not being very effective. I did walk around with a warrior pawn who pulled off a charge move that took of an entire health bar of a big monster though which was memorable and cemented that pawn as pretty dope though. Archers can be pretty powerful especially if they have the explosive shot one and you give them the proper arrows, but I don't think they come with their own arrows. That's too bad because I'd definitely be willing to outfit mine with them and send her off so people don't have to do inventory juggling if it were an option. I switched my own pawn to thief and she's pretty self-sufficient, but I'm also biased because she's my lovable doofus. :3:

edit: reading over the last paragraph it feels like the most memorable are the big flashy moves that do a lot of damage lol. But that doesn't mean they're not doing stuff in the background. I imagine people playing any of the ranged vocations might have a better view of how their pawns are actually faring.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

If you have a red pawn, fighters seem to get summoned a lot more than warriors.
I guess everyone turns their pawn into a warrior when they can, so there's a lack of fighters on higher levels. And fighters probably complement a group better as well, so they're easier to fit.

this is what my big stupid lady will be when I'm done getting her all of the augments, I'm hoping I have as much success as I did in DD1:DA, she was constantly rented out

it also helps that fighter armor looks loving sweet at all stages of the game lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 25, 2024

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Clocks posted:

I've been experimenting with lots of different pawns to be honest. Sometimes I'll grab those random ones off the road! (The only thing I won't do is scab with CAPCOM pawns. Those pawns will never get upgraded by their owner, their owner will never see you leave a gift for them, etc, which takes away the magic of pawns in my opinion. Too bad because I had a broken rift pop one up that was like +6 levels for free but no thanks, game!!)

I've found mages to be questionable in efficacy sometimes, but it could be because I'm on the front lines so they're not as noticeable. Maybe I should be making use of the "to me" command more often so that they will actually plop hastes on me and not the other ranged buddies. I will say they are good for keeping health up in general if nothing else, but I've done fine with mage-less parties. Same with sorc pawns - when they get a big cast off it looks amazing, but sometimes I'll be doing a whole battle and it feels like they're probably getting dicked around or something in the background and not being very effective. I did walk around with a warrior pawn who pulled off a charge move that took of an entire health bar of a big monster though which was memorable and cemented that pawn as pretty dope though. Archers can be pretty powerful especially if they have the explosive shot one and you give them the proper arrows, but I don't think they come with their own arrows. That's too bad because I'd definitely be willing to outfit mine with them and send her off so people don't have to do inventory juggling if it were an option. I switched my own pawn to thief and she's pretty self-sufficient, but I'm also biased because she's my lovable doofus. :3:

edit: reading over the last paragraph it feels like the most memorable are the big flashy moves that do a lot of damage lol. But that doesn't mean they're not doing stuff in the background. I imagine people playing any of the ranged vocations might have a better view of how their pawns are actually faring.

My mage pawn has the straightforward inclination and is always running up into the thick of combat to plop down buffs and heals, or blowing stuff up with high frigor or high levin. Curious how the other inclinations do as a mage.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Babe Magnet posted:

one thing I really like is encountering another adventuring party out in the world. they're almost always an evenly balanced red/blue/green/yellow party of 4 and it seems like sometimes they even have themes. A buddy of mine just came across a party and they were all super old lol

Every party I run into is like “gently caress you. Get the gently caress from around here.” I’m here for that kind of territorial aggression. Reminds of the random adventuring parties you could encounter in the original Baldur’s Gate games. Like everybody knows everybody and nobody cares about whatever cool stuff you’ve done because they’ve been doing cool stuff too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What the gently caress? Is Wilhelmina just gone after her personal quest?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm always looking for that specific pawn type.

The main thing that usually prevents me from hiring a pawn is either "not having a pawn quest I'm interested in" or "not having good stats/skills."

I'm still pretty early on and haven't figured out how to change the pawn quest. Whenever I try to do it on the rift menu it just doesn't let me interact with the quest or reward.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Every party I run into is like “gently caress you. Get the gently caress from around here.” I’m here for that kind of territorial aggression. Reminds of the random adventuring parties you could encounter in the original Baldur’s Gate games. Like everybody knows everybody and nobody cares about whatever cool stuff you’ve done because they’ve been doing cool stuff too.

yeah it does so much to really sell the kind of Knockoff D&D world that DD2 is

LibbyM posted:

I'm still pretty early on and haven't figured out how to change the pawn quest. Whenever I try to do it on the rift menu it just doesn't let me interact with the quest or reward.

if you still have the "adventure with this pawn for a day and a night" or whatever it was, that's the tutorial one, someone has to do it first.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm giving out 3400 gold Ogre bounty and I haven't had one taker. Not one.

I was thinking about switching Conan from Warrior to Fighter just to get those sweet passives, even though it's not really on theme. I guess I'll do it if he'll still get hired.

Having him in full barbarian regalia feels great, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

My assumption was that the book was a general friendship reward from her and that getting it from doing her quest is incidental (just adds enough friendship points that it puts her over the gift threshold) but I guess I don’t actually know that.

I see. That sounds plausible, except NPCs start to exaggeratedly blush as you raise their affinity, and I don't think that was the case for her. I kind of dislike the blushing, because it's so over the top + my Daphne is like this now because I needed that Forager's Tome, and she's a little girl. I am never talking to her again lest the guardsmen come and arrest me

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I was thinking about switching Conan from Warrior to Fighter just to get those sweet passives, even though it's not really on theme. I guess I'll do it if he'll still get hired.

switch him to fighter to get them, and then switch him back to warrior. augments carry over between vocations

also, re: conan:

there's an even more barbarian-er, topless loincloth for warriors in the second major city

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was doing A Trial of Archery with Glyndwr and what kept tripping me in the final part was that I kept trying to pick up the father, and did not see the sister lying in the ground... was wondering why she kept escaping me. All elves look the same with my graphic settings!

It was a fun quest, put the portcrystal in Sacred Arbor to save on some travel time if I want to go back. Although I only got two ferrystones left after returning to the capital. I'm thinking whether to just buy ferrystones whenever the sundries shop has them and just try and find armor and weapons in the wild?

What level is he? I think I hit level 20 while doing the elf stuff, if he's around that gimme the code and I'll go on a lark with him.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 25, 2024

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

been giving my bros fake ferrystones as rewards, I do it so sparingly they sometimes forget and it gets them again. someone earlier mentioned fake gold beetles and that's real evil, definitely stealing that lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Babe Magnet posted:

switch him to fighter to get them, and then switch him back to warrior. augments carry over between vocations

also, re: conan:

there's an even more barbarian-er, topless loincloth for warriors in the second major city

I appreciate that spoiler but I grabbed 'em already. Final Roar. In fact I figured all the scantily clad stuff was there in DesertLand, so I snuck over the border at level 18 and blew all my money making Conan look fab. Was a hell of an experience because, as you know, there ain't no Portcrystal there and there's no maps or inns, so I just followed the big road and hoped for the best! On to the next area before I fall too behind the curve.

TeaJay posted:

What level is he? I think I hit level 20 while doing the elf stuff, if he's around that gimme the code and I'll go on a lark with him.

Alas, Conan is currently level 37 because I went absolutely bugnuts on this game over the weekend in a way that I haven't since...Elden Ring? maybe? My wife is a bit peeved at me but my son has been checking in and cheering me on so that owns.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I haven't been using ferrystones too often so I have like 10 stacked up, lol. I do regret where I placed one of my two portcrystals, so I guess I'll port to it to collect it at some point.

Also the thief plunder skill will occasionally yield ferrystones & wakestones off big boss monsters. (It's quirky but I gave that skill to my pawn, lol, I feel like as a thief they're kind of doing their own thing half the time so she may as well steal some rotten fish off sauren while she's at it.)

Here's a question - I'm a bit "ahead of the curve" and I also tend to only hire pawns that are +0-2 levels of me, so none of them are overly more adventured than I am. Do pawns lead you to seeker's tokens ever, or is it only ever "aught catches the light" for you to discover for yourself? They always have a "oh I'll have to tell my master about this" dialogue when I collect the tokens so I don't know if it's like chests/riftstones where they can lead you to one or if it's just a dialogue bark. (I got the reward daggers which glow green when there's a chest nearby which is really funny to me. I wonder if it works if I stick them on my pawn?)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

explosivo posted:

This is a bit disappointing to hear, honestly. Is like the entire main quest of the game you doing the jobs for the guy in the capital? I've been playing for ~12 hours and it's hard to tell if I'm barely through the intro or halfway (or more) through the entire game at this point.

I've already played for 26 hours and have only done a single for one of the main storyline quests from the knight dude.

Babe Magnet posted:

been giving my bros fake ferrystones as rewards, I do it so sparingly they sometimes forget and it gets them again. someone earlier mentioned fake gold beetles and that's real evil, definitely stealing that lol

I did it once and am going back there tonight to do it again, too bad no port crystal in that town.

Also why is there no masterworks guy. I keep going wrong. Probably why everyone ends up in panties, no masterworks freely available for all.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yo, where do I find Dullahans?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I did it once and am going back there tonight to do it again, too bad no port crystal in that town.

Also why is there no masterworks guy. I keep going wrong. Probably why everyone ends up in panties, no masterworks freely available for all.

no portcrystal but the west wagon in the main city can take you there

also masterworks all guy is in gran soren, but none of the roads seem to lead us there!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is hornyposting allowed here?

I just found The Sphinx.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only mechanical benefit to leveling various vocations is snagging augments you want, right? Do any of the advanced classes require something leveled to unlock? Mystic Spearman didn't but that's the only one I've found.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah ever since they removed vocation affecting the stats you get when you level, it's just for augment-hunting

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is hornyposting allowed here?

I just found The Sphinx.

my wife......

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I saw a trio of pawns hanging out together in the border town and I should have taken a pic because they looked exactly like three nerd friends doing cosplay at a convention. A tiny thief girl, a tall gangly mage guy, and a heavyset fighter guy. It was kinda cute tbh.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
God drat the sphinx's riddle of rumination was annoying. If you haven't already heard, make note of where you find your first seeker's token. If you don't, bookmark this interactive map and thank me later. You can check off the ones you've found so you don't need to retrace your steps.

https://www.ign.com/maps/dragons-dogma-2/world

s1ppycup fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 25, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I too made a Conan and it kills me that the best helm for him by a country mile right now is the cyclops one, because I spent a lot of time in the character creator making a really solid Arnold face.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mustang posted:

My mage pawn has the straightforward inclination and is always running up into the thick of combat to plop down buffs and heals, or blowing stuff up with high frigor or high levin. Curious how the other inclinations do as a mage.

I have been using a simple mage for a while and they put about equal weight on attacking and buffing, only heal if someone drops to about half or lower, or yell for it. Always starts at range but does not always finish at range.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I've really liked my 18 hours as a mage/sorc, I wish there were more spells or spell slots or some other avenues for power gain beyond leveling up, weapon upgrades and rings but what can you do. The spells you do get look impressive and feel fun to use.

Playing the squishy caster as the party leader feels a little perilous because sending your pawns down ladders doesn't really work so you end up jumping in, getting knocked around and hoping your pawns make it in time so you can climb back up to nuke the downstairs from safety. You also miss out on the fun grappling/climbing mechanics of combat, and other classes seem to have more powerful environmental traversal tools than levitate, but I'll just enjoy raining death from the backline and running circles around enraged monsters for now. Leaves room for a second playthrough.

Overall this game really scratches my specific itch of a third-person open world fantasy adventure where you get to grow to a powerful spellcaster and I don't think any other game comes close, even if the magic in DD2 isn't super fleshed out either.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I think I somehow glitched out of bounds. There was an invisible wall that I got through by dying and now I'm in the mountains north of Vernworth clipping through poo poo. Probably shouldn't mess with this.

e: nice view though

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 25, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

George Sex - REAL posted:

If anyone wants to trade a Logistician book for a Forager book, add LeatherJacketAttitude on Steam and we'll do it and you'll be my friend online and irl.

I don't blame you for skipping posts, but you can get a Logistician's Tome by giving Glenna at the Stardrop Inn in Vernworth a Bunch of Flowers a few times.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 25, 2024

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

After finishing his questline, this elf shows up at my house and asks me to escort him halfway across the world. I do so and he gives me a ripened apple and a bunch of flowers. Fuckin' elves, man.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Clocks posted:

I switched my own pawn to thief and she's pretty self-sufficient, but I'm also biased because she's my lovable doofus. :3:

Her Highness is a regular fixture in my party. Just has the perfect voice.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vargs posted:

After finishing his questline, this elf shows up at my house and asks me to escort him halfway across the world. I do so and he gives me a ripened apple and a bunch of flowers. Fuckin' elves, man.

When he did that he led me to the ancient battleground and all the cool poo poo you can find there, so he's my bro.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vargs posted:

Feeling kinda weird about both elf father and son blushing every time they see me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vargs posted:

I accepted this quest and then completely ignored it lol. It failed at some point for an unknown reason, probably because I never left Vernworth

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I somehow got double escort quests for this little short old dude with a terrible haircut and droopy "moustache rides" style handlebar.

I escorted him twice and at the end of the second mission he was all red-faced and "thank you yer Majesty" and I realized that I was getting signals from the game that I had just maxed out affinity with this old dude. That's fine, I was also working an angle with Captain Brandt, hopefully this will straighten itself out.

Later I'm at the Inn and see the little dude, I hail him and he starts ranting about what garbage the beastren are! I had accidently friend-zoned a racist old MVGA guy. Fuckin' Dragon's Dogma, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's helpful that escort mission NPCs will join you on oxcart trips, so if the far away place they want to go is close to one of the oxcart hubs you can just fast travel. I assume ferrystones bring escorted characters along too like in DD1.