Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

If Darth Maul had a dodge I would have a much harder time playing anything else - I do find myself missing the thief’s dodge. But the fact you can charge up the stun zap while you do other moves is a nice concession. I’ve been charging it up and then using the dash attack to close, and then releasing the charged stun right after. Not real impressed with the floating blades spell - they seem real weak and it’s hard to justify a skill slot for em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Nemo2342 posted:

What’s the limit on how many you can use?

Not sure offhand but it's considerable. My Arisen has a weight allowance a bit north of 60

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Yea I think my actual biggest complaint with this game is the lack of a BBI stand-in. After showing what this game can do in a massive dungeon, it stinks not having something like it here.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

isk posted:

Not sure offhand but it's considerable. My Arisen has a weight allowance a bit north of 60

Someone said the limit is 80 for a total bonus of 12 weight allowance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm still annoyed about the game introducing a cool character for all of two quests to only then remove her from (allegedly) the rest of the game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I broadly agree with the sentiment of Mystic Spearhand. I like it so much I was a bit reluctant to try Magick Archer after unlocking. IMO it's a different flavor but still hella powerful. Auto target during draw works great on either lots of little enemies or one large enemy. Abilities are versatile with control, damage, and support/healing options. For funsies, there's a long range guided missile.

The lack of self-heals/buffs/escapes makes it heavily reliant on positioning, but I was able to get a sense for it in an hour or so. I can see it floundering with a low Magick score and/or in tight quarters when isolated, but even those are easy enough to solve and plan for.

Spearhand is hella fun, but I wouldn't sleep on MA.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was 100% behind the idea of playing Fighter, but I switched to Warrior and I'm not sure I can go back. I'm around level 20. I found myself just spamming Shield Bash on the Fighter to knock things over. I can do that much better with Warrior and a blunt weapon. I feel tankier as a Warrior and I seem to get staggered/knocked back a lot less. I think they need to make some changes to the way Fighter blocks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man you do NOT want to have a mage be your point pawn during a quest. They seem to not acknowledge enemies when running ahead and get instantly wrecked as they run in the middle of a pack of anything.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Still haven't been able to find a single Dullahan (outside of the one for the quest), anyone know where to look for them?

They can spawn in the wilderness at night but they are fairly rare. I've run into a couple of them randomly. You have to kill them before dawn because they will disappear when the sun rises.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Brant wants me to go to a fancy masquerade and that sounds fun but I also found a way past the border and I want to explore that. Is there a port crystal in a city down there somewhere or does Vernworth have the only fixed one?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Crowetron posted:

Brant wants me to go to a fancy masquerade and that sounds fun but I also found a way past the border and I want to explore that. Is there a port crystal in a city down there somewhere or does Vernworth have the only fixed one?

There isn't one in the main city down there

But, you can unlock ox carts so you can daisy chain between there and Vernworth with checkpoint town as a stopover. Not sure if it goes the other direction as well, or if you need to do something specific to unlock the ox cart.

If it were me I'd find that out, or come back a bit later with an extra port crystal to place

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Crowetron posted:

Answer: ....no there is not a portcrystal at the capital, and if you go there before you're "supposed" to the oxcart is disabled, so it's a little more intense than you might be ready for.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They can spawn in the wilderness at night but they are fairly rare. I've run into a couple of them randomly. You have to kill them before dawn because they will disappear when the sun rises.

Any specific area you'd recommend? I've been running around in both Vernworth and Western Wernworth for about an hour, but no luck.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Play posted:

There isn't one in the main city down there

But, you can unlock ox carts so you can daisy chain between there and Vernworth with checkpoint town as a stopover. Not sure if it goes the other direction as well, or if you need to do something specific to unlock the ox cart.

If it were me I'd find that out, or come back a bit later with an extra port crystal to place

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Answer: ....no there is not a portcrystal at the capital, and if you go there before you're "supposed" to the oxcart is disabled, so it's a little more intense than you might be ready for.

Ah dang. I guess I have to stop ignoring the plot sooner or later.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What can I do in the Caged magistrate quest when I entered the jail from the tunnel, get caught and got thrown in jail? I still have the key, but the magistrate just gives me a book but doesn't talk to me about the quest. Also, I'd really like my armor and stuff back? Am I meant to enter the jail some other way?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TeaJay posted:

What can I do in the Caged magistrate quest when I entered the jail from the tunnel, get caught and got thrown in jail? I still have the key, but the magistrate just gives me a book but doesn't talk to me about the quest. Also, I'd really like my armor and stuff back? Am I meant to enter the jail some other way?

Wear a guard uniform and they won't arrest you or bother you. You can find one in the sewer that connects the nobles quarter to the slums or buy it from the oddities shop,

This also works to wander around in the restricted areas in the Nobles Quarters at night.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Leal posted:

Man you do NOT want to have a mage be your point pawn during a quest. They seem to not acknowledge enemies when running ahead and get instantly wrecked as they run in the middle of a pack of anything.

Sometimes mine gets way far behind doing god knows what it removes him from my party? I also made the mistake of trying an all mage and sorcerer party last night and it was a mess, those fools cannot manage without a tank and babysitter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TeaJay posted:

This quest confused me, because the guards see me and do nothing. And I'm not wearing guard armor. I went in all nervous about getting caught, but the guards just ignore me.

I've only gotten in trouble twice:
1. When I looted something in the prison in front of a guard (but just walking in front of them is fine)
2. Being seen in the palace quarters (but I can seemingly be seen in various other places in the palace without trouble)

I mean, it made things simple, but I'm a little confused about how you get in trouble with the guards.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
discovered the waterfall cave for the first time and WOW this bitch does not gently caress around, get me out of here

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have only ever died by falling off of things

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I managed to get forward in the quest by putting on my courtly clothes (I don't have a guard uniform) and just walked through the palace courtyard to the tower, there some NPC said Captain Brant told him I'd be there (??? missed this plan completely) and let me through.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jokes posted:

I have only ever died by falling off of things

I swear I could make some of these drops and just keep walking but Arisen starts faceplanting as soon as she's off the ground. Only bellyflops.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I swear I could make some of these drops and just keep walking but Arisen starts faceplanting as soon as she's off the ground. Only bellyflops.

It's funny how she seemingly deliberately orients herself to belly flop face-first into the ground.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
well gregor's loving dead but it's not STRICTLY my fault. man there's a lot of caves on this road, way more than I would have expected. kinda curious how many NPCs can die before something really bad happens or it fucks up the story

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sixto Lezcano posted:

If Darth Maul had a dodge I would have a much harder time playing anything else - I do find myself missing the thief’s dodge. But the fact you can charge up the stun zap while you do other moves is a nice concession. I’ve been charging it up and then using the dash attack to close, and then releasing the charged stun right after. Not real impressed with the floating blades spell - they seem real weak and it’s hard to justify a skill slot for em.

Try out the shield spell, you won't be disappointed. It's like the thief defensive skill but with AOE to cover your whole party from, say, drake meteors, and you regain stamina while its up. Oh, and no animation when it stops an attack like the thief one. I thought thief's skill was busted but man.

As for the floating blades, you can work them in when doing other stuff with zero animation, you can pretty much just toss four in the middle of your spear normals and get a bunch of extra damage on board.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I didn't try Magick Archer in DD1, but was the ricochet shot skill as ridiculous there?
If you're inside, you can charge it up, fire it, and it'll kill everything in the room, everything in any tunnels leading into the room, and probably most stuff 2-3 rooms away. It's hilarious.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Broken Cog posted:

I didn't try Magick Archer in DD1, but was the ricochet shot skill as ridiculous there?
If you're inside, you can charge it up, fire it, and it'll kill everything in the room, everything in any tunnels leading into the room, and probably most stuff 2-3 rooms away. It's hilarious.

Yes, for similar reasons. There were fewer cramped indoor areas to use it in though.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I hate poison, it lasts forever and makes my controller buzz constantly. I know it's on me for not carrying the purple cure potions, but I still hate it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

It was very good in DD1, especially in BBI, but it feels even better in DD2. You can still mulch big enemies outside if you bank shots off the ground under their feet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khanstant posted:

The unceasing urge to jump off of things and orient myself into a belly flop, only to be disappointed that the fall wasn't high enough for me to die.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deformed Church posted:

Pawns who are leading you somewhere really need to resume quicker. Every loving time I fight one goblin or saurian or harpy or whatever (which is about every six feet in this god forsaken hell nation) I have to spend twenty seconds faffing in circles until this one decides to start the route. It was amusing for a while when I realised I was being trekked halfway across the continent on a whim but it's been two days and I've probably only been on the move for half that time.

I didn't see anyone point this out so here's a protip I just discovered last night as I was dealing with the same poo poo: you can just push up on the dpad "go!" and they will resume leading you wherever they were before.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Most of my pawns seem to die from being unable to do proper jumps and will just fall into the brine and die.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's really funny that one of the Fighter skills (innate abilities?) is being able to land on your shield when falling from high up.

Neeksy posted:

Most of my pawns seem to die from being unable to do proper jumps and will just fall into the brine and die.

I also don't understand why you don't die from brine, just get teleported back to land, but your pawns insta-die. At the very least they should teleport back to land and be "downed" so you can save them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ytlaya posted:

This quest confused me, because the guards see me and do nothing. And I'm not wearing guard armor. I went in all nervous about getting caught, but the guards just ignore me.

I've only gotten in trouble twice:
1. When I looted something in the prison in front of a guard (but just walking in front of them is fine)
2. Being seen in the palace quarters (but I can seemingly be seen in various other places in the palace without trouble)

I mean, it made things simple, but I'm a little confused about how you get in trouble with the guards.

Brant tells you in the intro to the quest that he's gonna give the heads up to his boys to take it easy on you and that it should make your job easier.

e: the brine is a really fuckin weird concept tbh, like with the serious risk to life and well being for actual humans, fishing should be one of the most lucrative endeavors in the realm but every fishing village in the series looks poor as poo poo

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Man, there's nothing quite like Dragon's Dogma. Even when it's frustrating, which is not infrequent, it hooks me into long sessions that more streamlined games never do.

Earlier, I left the first city and my "simple" thief pawn started going on about how good a day it was for a picnic and the guest pawns started agreeing and saying how nice a day it was. Then the archer interrupted her line to shout I GOT THIS SHOT! and shot a nearby deer, to which the other pawns cheered her on and laughed. It was so dumb and charming at the same time.

I started as fighter (good as hell) then tried warrior which I didn't like at all. Then on to sorc, which is again very good but I played a ton of sorc in DD1 so I'm going back to fighter for the foreseeable future.

Internet Explorer posted:

It's really funny that one of the Fighter skills (innate abilities?) is being able to land on your shield when falling from high up.

Yeah, it owns. Fighter owns. It's a core skill and you hit block while in the air and break your fall with the shield.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Professor Beetus posted:

I didn't see anyone point this out so here's a protip I just discovered last night as I was dealing with the same poo poo: you can just push up on the dpad "go!" and they will resume leading you wherever they were before.

Ah, thank you! I also just learned that the hand in the quest diary means my pawn knows what to do so the combined knowledge will improve an awful lot of things for me. I hope I still remember it by tomorrow evening.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 26, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My review of trickster so far at level 40

It is fun but there are some things not described fully. You are only a buffing and utility class.

The funny out of body experience, dragging your dust ghost to a fake floor, requires a lot of set up. It is funny, but you can do more work faster without it.

Aromatic Resurgence is your only great skill next to Illusive Divider. The divider lets you block shots real fast or cause enemy pathing issues some times, other times they ignore it. Aromatic Resurgence causes your pawns to no longer buff or heal or listen to directional input commands, but ups their damage quite a lot.

The augment Fugacity is nice since it lowers oxcart events and later on you are moving back and forth a lot. But who knows how much it actually lowers it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

One day I’ll actually leave Vermund and progress the main quest more, but today is not that day and the next three weeks don’t look good for it either. There’s just too much to explore. Game too big, game too good.

Also if anyone needs a big ol’ fighter (and maybe Warrior for a bit to get some augments) please summon Bussacatte in the goon doc, she’s very lonely and no one likes her.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Also the desert gondolas are so stupid since pawns don't fight well on them.

I have had harpies grab one or two pawns and drop them from great distance causing me to deal with that.

I have had a griffon dive bomb and destroy a gondola so now I have to wait for that to respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Baiard posted:

Does anyone know what loving bug is causing NPCs to fail to give out items? It's happened multiple times now for me to the point where it's getting aggravating. Luckily there's a shop mod that allows you to buy the grimoires you're missing, but I've missed pawn specializations and other unique quest rewards. I wasn't running any mods or have full inventories of any kind.

Maybe it's related to the poor CPU usage or something.

im guessing in almost all cases it's because you didn't meet an affinity threshold with the npcs your talking about. try gifting them something they like and then waiting a day or two and talk to them again.