Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Somewhat nervous about aggro in general. Completed a different quest line that resulted in one member of a faction going into combat against my party. I wakestoned her because that made no sense and she then delivered random story bits to me that implied that my suspicion was correct.

Thumbtacks posted:

man there's so many good fighter skills and i want to take all of them.

I think I’m in this boat in general. I want more than four skills at a time and I hate having to drag myself out of adventuring to change them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
You can change them at campsites without needing to rest at them, but yeah, I feel like the game really wants like one more skill. Just one - with how much more the skills do in this game compared to DDog 1 maybe a full 6 would have been too many, but 5 is, I think, where it shoulda ended up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mdct posted:

God, this game is extremely Dragon's Dogma 2 in the sort of "he is extremely his father's son" kind of way. The quest design is just so hostile in a way that very few games are.

I enjoy it in a weird way. It sucks failing quest for a stupid reason, like whats her face tripping on thin god damned air in the first game, but at the same time it creates a situation where the game is like uniquely yours at times.

Insanite posted:

I think I’m in this boat in general. I want more than four skills at a time and I hate having to drag myself out of adventuring to change them up.

It'd be really cool if we could combo skills or something. Go from blink strike to circular slash on the same button one after the other, freeing up another button for other skills. Because while I still really don't like blocking, I really love fighter's skills. That one where you grab dudes and just stab them over and over again is fantastic. I grabbed an ogre's face, stabbed him until he fell down, stabbed his face until he got back up and then repeated it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so what's the deal with the random groups of 4 guys out in the world? I feel like they're supposed to be like neighboring adventurer parties or something.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I've been going thief but doing mage to have levitate to find these tokens, but I honestly think I;ll ignore them for the most part, do them with a checksheet at some future point. I just wanted to get the corset outfit anyway at 150.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mdct posted:

You can change them at campsites without needing to rest at them, but yeah, I feel like the game really wants like one more skill. Just one - with how much more the skills do in this game compared to DDog 1 maybe a full 6 would have been too many, but 5 is, I think, where it shoulda ended up.

Didn’t the first dog have 8? Four on your right hand, four on your left.
(A fighter got four slots for sword skills and four slots for shield skills, a strider got four dagger and four bow, etc)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Lone Badger posted:

(A fighter got four slots for sword skills and four slots for shield skills, a strider got four dagger and four bow, etc)

It had 6, and Warriors got screwed by only getting 3.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

That's one of the endings to the quest.

The other is you give it to his wife (the Beastran woman he hangs out with at the slum tavern in the afternoon) and she does a murder/suicide after learning he's been a rich rear end in a top hat cosplaying as a beggar and stringing her along

You can also give them to his noble wife and she forces him to get a real job, which was pretty funny

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
That save the lost grandson quest is wild a night. Visuals of the flowers plus a Lich and skeletons was really good.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Calidus posted:

That save the lost grandson quest is wild a night. Visuals of the flowers plus a Lich and skeletons was really good.

I hosed this quest up due to my weird guard aggro bug and did not save the grandson :(

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is the double jump for the rogue classes still a thing?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

There’s a walljump, haven’t seen double jump yet.

Calidus posted:

I just had this quest dumped on me while I’m half-dead looking for an inn or camping kit, so I’m kinda nervous. Plus I’m underlevelled for the region and just changed vocations.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 26, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Man, I kicked the lion guy out of the ring but I guess I was too close to the edge and somehow it counted me as the loser of that bout even though he was well out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Deified Data posted:

There's an attack you can use as a psuedo-double jump but no core skill for it

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Enjoying Warfarer as a Warrior + Archer hybrid. Warrior has strong regular attacks, Ravening Lunge is great vs smaller enemies, Heavenward Sunder gives me an answer vs large ones, and when I have to deal with anything that's annoying to fight with a two-hander, I have a bow with Deathly Arrow. Not really doing any fancy combo stuff but it's very versatile in a way that I think is more valuable than just having 2 more regular Warrior skills.

Deified Data posted:

There's a skill that gives you an explosive double jump as thief. Seems to have zero in-combat utility (can't even grab monsters after using it), but it's very nice for getting around if you're willing to sacrifice a skill slot.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vargs posted:

Enjoying Warfarer as a Warrior + Archer hybrid. Warrior has strong regular attacks, Ravening Lunge is great vs smaller enemies, Heavenward Sunder gives me an answer vs large ones, and when I have to deal with anything that's annoying to fight with a two-hander, I have a bow with Deathly Arrow. Not really doing any fancy combo stuff but it's very versatile in a way that I think is more valuable than just having 2 more regular Warrior skills.

There's a skill that gives you an explosive double jump as thief. Seems to have zero in-combat utility (can't even grab monsters after using it), but it's very nice for getting around if you're willing to sacrifice a skill slot.

It makes targets flinch, with the upgrade having a much higher ratio for doing it

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

The Lone Badger posted:

6 because the a button remained mapped to jump even when the skill button was held down

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

the limited fast travel is starting to wear on me

actually it's not even the fast travel, it's the fact that I never have any camping packs and I'm constantly on the edge of over-encumbrance

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 26, 2024

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AndrewP posted:

Mayhaps we should pursue the services of an ox cart, Arisen.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thumbtacks posted:

man there's so many good fighter skills and i want to take all of them. as annoying as harpies are i'm not sure if i care enough about them to dedicate a whole slot to them, but i also basically have NO answer to them unless they come down into my face

i also suspect skewer might be bait if i'm solo, i think like 90% of my damage taken against big enemies was fall damage from getting knocked off

The one where you jump on things and just start stabbity stabbing them is gruesomely hilarious

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Mayhaps we should pursue the services of an ox cart, Arisen.

what I could really use is an ox cart that periodically hauls my poo poo home for me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AndrewP posted:

what I could really use is an ox cart that periodically hauls my poo poo home for me

A good use for the pawns you meet in the wild. Nah I'm not looking to replace my party, but while you're out and about how about dropping this off at 21 Aught Lane?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Leal posted:

A good use for the pawns you meet in the wild. Nah I'm not looking to replace my party, but while you're out and about how about dropping this off at 21 Aught Lane?

they'd just die before they got home anyway. I've replaced a few pawns out in the wild and every time I dismiss one, I watch them almost immediately get their poo poo wrecked by goblins. sorry dude!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If there is one thing I really wish they had gotten rid of it’s running out of stamina from just running around outside of combat. It’s a massive pain I the rear end and ads nothing to the game imo. Even fromsoft got the memo on this.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I think I'm going to have to call it on trying to find my first seeker token, I swear I had two on hand going into heyverncity and I had used the oxcart from melve to get there initially, but even with a large swathe of that route unexplored and checking all the remaining areas pre-vern using the interactive map, I just couldn't find the sucker. if I had actually adventured outta vern before the first that's a big ol rip haha

going through the initial areas I had a lotta 'ooh this must be it' moments which were actually for goldbugs, those feel a lot more rewarding and memorable

I woulda sworn the first token (or at least an early one) I got was on top of the melve ballista tower, since I had seen it on the interactive map and went up there a few times + rotated the sucker, but when I went there just now I had somehow missed it completely?? I really wonder if it was somehow bugged for me, because it was so immediately obvious now I can't actually imagine missing it 3 times

saw a few people remark in different places 'it straight up isn't there' and tokens needing reloads to appear so I'm honestly wondering if there's some token glitchiness and if so double, triple rip haha

oh well, apparently it's fine to miss one question? just no specific chest with 3 ferrystones and miss the achievement which I don't care about so not gonna fret it too much

it'd be great if a future patch implemented a zelda-ish 'arisens path' concept, that's a fun feature and would be IDEAL for remembering the early journey for this exact scenario heh

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 26, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

*record scratch*
Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

sebmojo posted:

The one where you jump on things and just start stabbity stabbing them is gruesomely hilarious

my favorite ability in the first game was basically that, you just stab something and then while the sword is stabbed into them you swirl it around like you're stirring soup, it was gruesome and hilarious

I do miss Dragon's Maw but seems like Riotous Fury is pretty much the same thing. Autonomy would be a lovely augment to have but whatever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Oh wow I just discovered that if you turn on formless feint with the thief before using pyre blades or whatever it's called, it does ZERO damage to you and a whole lot of damage to whichever enemies you are near. So fun and effective

Also, my goon benefactor gave me another portcrystal. Where's he getting these things??

Zore posted:

That's one of the endings to the quest.

The other is you give it to his wife (the Beastran woman he hangs out with at the slum tavern in the afternoon) and she does a murder/suicide after learning he's been a rich rear end in a top hat cosplaying as a beggar and stringing her along

There should be a third option, which is give it to his noble wife. I gave it to slum wife so I'm not sure what happens then, maybe it's the same..

AndrewP posted:

actually it's not even the fast travel, it's the fact that I never have any camping packs and I'm constantly on the edge of over-encumbrance

I feel the opposite, I was really worried about it but it turned out to not be a big deal. I've ended up with a nice stash of ferrystones, and the oxcart mechanics make it actually way easier on the player than DD1, which didn't have that. Being able to quite quickly travel between the main cities without using a ferrystone is a huge boon.

The overencumbrance is somewhat annoying, I would've preferred being able to carry more. But I just use my pawns to carry materials when I have to, put all my materials in storage whenever I'm near an inn (plus trim my consumables and get rid of anything else I don't need, especially heavy things) and it ends up fine. Would be nice to stay light but I've found that average is the best I can do with my hoarder tendencies. You never know what you might need!

Only carry one camping kit at a time and have your pawn carry it, don't carry extra equipment, carry one of each anti-status effect at most, and probably max 5 or 10 of each good healing or stamina item. Fruits and plants just put in storage/combine. That's worked well for me. Also, take into account the weight of equipment. If somethings is only giving you like ten more of damage or protection, but it weighs way more, it may not be worth it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Everdraed posted:

I think I'm going to have to call it on trying to find my first seeker token

fwiw, I gave up on that one and could still progress the questline. Not sure if it's a 1-quest leeway sort of deal though, so maybe if you screwed up another one you're hosed.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

if I ever find a pawn that has a "packmule" specialization he's getting hired on the spot, I don't care how much RC it costs me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

AndrewP posted:

if I ever find a pawn that has a "packmule" specialization he's getting hired on the spot, I don't care how much RC it costs me

keep an eye out for the big fatties then, the more they weigh the more they can carry

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Everdraed posted:

forget all dis poo poo
holy hell it was by the statue in verncity

thinking about it I distinctly remember going 'ah christ, I musta missed an unbelievable number of these so far' when I found it haha, riddle of rumination indeed

now to never pick up another token again, and see how that affects doing the quest in ng+'s

edit: the quest item is pawn giftable... I assume it would still complete the quest / it'd be possible to help somebody out if they had missed a different riddle already and you could send yours as your one miss? or imagine that situation, but you give them a forgery.....

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 26, 2024

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

If anyone’s on the ps5 and want to share pawns, my psn is u-Kefa

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My pawn came back from the rift with this:

"I suffered much injustice at the Arisen's hands.
I fear I've let you down. It shall not happen again."

Edit: lmao, he says he was killed by a horde of goblins. How badly did that player gently caress-up for him to be killed by goblins?! He's a Warrior. I don't think I've had him die once in my playthrough.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Speaking of Rockstar, RDR2 is an extremely different game but succeeds far more than most open world games for the same reason this one does, the gameplay may be limited in scope, but the AI, layered mechanics that can interact in many ways, and the physics system can make even the most basic encounters have some crazy poo poo happen in them.

RDR2 is another game I liked a lot, though I don't consider it the same level of "open" as DD2, Elden Ring, or BotW, because it still has a very substantial main campaign (and I think also makes use of clear quest markers and map icons, etc).

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Play posted:

keep an eye out for the big fatties then, the more they weigh the more they can carry

did not know this. I now regret making my main pawn such a tiny thing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Took a quest to go with an oxcart back up to Melve and thought "Okay this'll be a milk run, back to the starter town? ez money" and a few minutes out of town a griffin screeches and swoops in like a loving Tomahawk missile to one-poo poo the cart and ox. We won the ensuing fight and I am here to assure you all that just barely clinging to the back of a griffin while it flies around trying to dodge lightning strikes and fireballs and making an attack run on your party is exactly as god drat :black101: as in DD1.

With reference to RDR2, I was just thinking on the cart ride before we were so rudely interrupted that I haven't enjoyed a nice chill passive travel as much as this since that game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ytlaya posted:

My pawn came back from the rift with this:

"I suffered much injustice at the Arisen's hands.
I fear I've let you down. It shall not happen again."

Edit: lmao, he says he was killed by a horde of goblins. How badly did that player gently caress-up for him to be killed by goblins?! He's a Warrior. I don't think I've had him die once in my playthrough.

RDR2 is another game I liked a lot, though I don't consider it the same level of "open" as DD2, Elden Ring, or BotW, because it still has a very substantial main campaign (and I think also makes use of clear quest markers and map icons, etc).

I have died to a horde of goblins in secret end time ending secret do not read secret

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Tonight was my second time getting to play since the game came out. I got to the big city the first day...Today I did some wandering and had my mind blown by a random cave. It just kept going, and going and going. Slimes, lizard guys, couple goblins, then a Chimera for the boss! How fun.

Then it kept on going, suddenly I'm in some crypt, and fighting a flying lich thing that wrecked me. I killed him with 300 hp left and burned 99% of my healing items.

Game owns. It's exactly what I wanted.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Does your pawn's gear get dragonforged this time around or do you still have to do the lame gear swap stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Nuebot posted:

Does your pawn's gear get dragonforged this time around or do you still have to do the lame gear swap stuff?

Dragonforging is just a manual final step of upgrade you do at a specific place so it doesn't require you to wear it to be able to dragonforge it.