Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Off-camera rocket bots are deadly world-class assassins

https://i.imgur.com/F7Y1c4C.mp4

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Just to be clear though the bot guns aren't hitscan either, they shoot projectiles. They're fast projectiles and they're good at leading targets that are moving in a straight line, but they have travel time greater than 0.

I guess but those things are hitting you in like 3 frames at close-mid range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I tried eng armor for the extra grenades, but coming off light stealth I really miss the stamina regen and a bar that seems miles long

Being able to take a bit of a bike spew would be nice though

I have had the chance to pick up some weapons I have not unlocked yet from other people's deaths and

Breaker incindiary is basically useless
The shoulder laser is kinda fun so far

Using the laser gatling gun I've given up a bit on the stalwart since I can't unload on a bile big and take it down on helldiver difficulty, so I can switch It for something else fun. Except for hellmire an all laser load out might be fun

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Section Z posted:

Ore sample machine is one of the more shameless cases of "gently caress it just spawn them on top of the objective" when it comes to scripted breaches and dropships in reaction to trying to do things. They skip the 'Those seven patrols were right around that corner the whole time!' phase and go straight to reinforcements. Guess you should have read that disclaimer about disturbing underground creatures when fighting robots huh?

Don't forget that bots can remember they can just drop stuff directly on top of your dropship platform when they remember they can do that, one hell of a way to get body blocked from the dropship ramp. Also sometimes against bugs I have seen them just stubbornly dig up through the ground right next to the extraction platform over and over until you finally have to reload and then they get a breach off.

Preventing patrols from calling reinforcements is a very important part of the game. But the loud narrative of "Just stealth, idiot! Only shooting every patrol you see triggers things!" only matters for legitimate patrols. It won't make a difference when the game is hammering the scripted bullshit button.

Man I hope you enjoy playing this video game too

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Just to be clear though the bot guns aren't hitscan either, they shoot projectiles.

I read this as the aiming portion is a hitscan, as in; the bot entity has an alert status query and starts a scan in its designated aim range and when it hits the player it shoots. The aim portion is hit scan, that's how the aim seems to be impeccable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Roundboy posted:

I tried eng armor for the extra grenades, but coming off light stealth I really miss the stamina regen and a bar that seems miles long
There is a light armor with +nades, I think it's "CE-74 Breaker".
Just need it to rotate in on the superstore.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

There is a secret trick to the Pyro shotgun.

That trick is "Spray N Pray is still worse holy poo poo I thought they buffed this?". Fire shotgun at least is going to be killing any baby bug hit by more than one pellet.

If you hate hunters (It is gonna take 2 shots) and want a shotgun that can still sometimes gently caress up a spitter? The mountain of ammo it has compared to breaker per drum can make it feel passable for unironic "trash clear" that can still gently caress up greys and encourage armored reds to hunker down.

A shame that vs bots, as funny as it is watching robo troopers tip over dead from a light graze and burning to death (They WILL launch a flare first). It really struggles to put down medium bots due to that wide spray.

jokes posted:

Man I hope you enjoy playing this video game too

I have been using the fire shotgun on purpose more often, so that is either a good sign or a bad sign!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 26, 2024

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

Roundboy posted:

Being able to take a bit of a bike spew would be nice though

I have had the chance to pick up some weapons I have not unlocked yet from other people's deaths and

The shoulder laser is kinda fun so far

Using the laser gatling gun I've given up a bit on the stalwart since I can't unload on a bile big and take it down on helldiver difficulty, so I can switch It for something else fun. Except for hellmire an all laser load out might be fun

I almost made the same switch but I'd rather use the scout armor with the supply pack to keep my grenades stocked. Even with the heavy armor I was getting one-shotted by the spewers on medium, the extra mobility has been much better for saving my dumb rear end

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah artillery is probably good for loving up teams if everyone doesn't try to finish that ASAP and move on. One or two people dicking around trying to load the gun and getting picky about which rounds to load while other people stand around can lead to a bad, bad time.

That’s why you sort out rounds and round order before kicking off the trigger (touching the console)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My pro artillery strat: grab the samples, throw in whatever shells are closest to finish it ASAP, then forget it exists and never use it.

I finally unlocked the Scorcher tonight and holy poo poo it is easily the best gun in the game. One shots small stuff, kills medium stuff super fast. Explosive and I think has the Slugger's "light-medium" armor pen so it hurts anything that's not ultra heavy. Accurate. Easily my favorite primary in the game.

Sure you burn through ammo fast but that's because you're killing everything you look at almost immediately.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 26, 2024

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

To be honest I like that the bots are laser accurate with some weapons through fog: they're loving robots, they're using their cyber eyes to locate and destroy patriotic helldivers!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I agree with whoever was complaining about the ore vein bug spawns. It's significantly tougher than the other 40 minute missions in kind of an annoying way.

It's fine they come up from the ground. Makes sense. Just make them do it far enough away you can actually use stuff like cluster bombs and air bursts.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 26, 2024

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
So here's a new bug feature one of my buddies ran into tonight; the W key doesn't work for stratagems anymore. He can move forward, he can work terminal sequences that feature an Up arrow, but the Up arrow symbol for stratagems isn't triggered by the W key anymore. He even rebound the actual Up arrow key to it and that works! But re-binding it back to W doesn't work. Fun!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Oh cool. The trees and leaves block the Scythe laser completely so I can't shoot the robot hiding behind a bush, but it can still laser me just fine.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BlackIronHeart posted:

So here's a new bug feature one of my buddies ran into tonight; the W key doesn't work for stratagems anymore. He can move forward, he can work terminal sequences that feature an Up arrow, but the Up arrow symbol for stratagems isn't triggered by the W key anymore. He even rebound the actual Up arrow key to it and that works! But re-binding it back to W doesn't work. Fun!
He oughta take it as an excuse to fully switch to arrow keys for strats since it lets you move around
(But also hitting the 'return to default' button might fix it)

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Getting good enough at the game where I'm starting to hate the level 45-50 dudes who speedrun the main objective without saying a word and then try to extract.

Just going to host games from now on instead of trying to join others, so I can kick these douches.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

KlavoHunter posted:

Getting good enough at the game where I'm starting to hate the level 45-50 dudes who speedrun the main objective without saying a word and then try to extract.

Just going to host games from now on instead of trying to join others, so I can kick these douches.

I prefer to host the game for this reason. I've unlocked everything in the game except warbonds, so there's no need for me to farm mats and do secondaries, but I still do them because blowing things up is fun and playing the game is fun.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

JBP posted:

blowing things up is fun and playing the game is fun when you're rolling with happy not-sweaty types who enjoying the comedy friendly fire 500kg and ragdolls

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

A shrieker nest appears in the distance. We're on an overlook with no enemies nearby.

Me, carrying a grenade launcher with supply pack: "Hey, if you kill those shrieker towers with your autocannon I'll feed you ammo from my backpack!"

Pubbie with autocannon and a full ammo pack: "Oh it can damage those?"

Me: "Yeah it takes 10 shots to destroy each spire and you can hit them from right here across the map before they even spawn shriekers!"

Pubbie with autocannon: "Awesome, that sounds good!"

*Pubbie continues on like nothing happened, charges with the rest of the group into the shrieker nest to hellbomb it, and we lose 10+ reinforcements during the effort. The group never fully recovers and death spirals into a failure cascade.*

Me: :wtc:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Yeah 90% of the time I'm playing with one or more friends in the squad so it's chill. Having a funny time is the key.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
continuing to holler about stun nades vs hulks. literally just stunned 3 grouped hulks at extract with 1 nade and killed all of them with AMR

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

LazyMaybe posted:

continuing to holler about stun nades vs hulks. literally just stunned 3 grouped hulks at extract with 1 nade and killed all of them with AMR
same

me to the team " 100% headshots elite sniper baby" (10 feet away against stunned targets)

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Amazing Member posted:

I read this as the aiming portion is a hitscan, as in; the bot entity has an alert status query and starts a scan in its designated aim range and when it hits the player it shoots. The aim portion is hit scan, that's how the aim seems to be impeccable.

no one has ever used the word hitscan to mean this ever sorry

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Saraiguma posted:

no one has ever used the word hitscan to mean this ever sorry

it's ok, its a brave new world out there, and communicating complicated ideas into condensed form using 'words' and 'language' is sure to catch on one day.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Sure but what you're talking about will probably want a different word, seeing as there's no 'hit' aspect and hitscan has been used to mean a projectile that hits it's target instantly upon being fired with a travel time of 0 frames for, like, probably at least three decades now.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Amazing Member posted:

it's ok, its a brave new world out there, and communicating complicated ideas into condensed form using 'words' and 'language' is sure to catch on one day.

It sure is a lot easier when people use those things with their correct meaning, however!

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Hi guys its me, Amazing Member, I made a post where I describe "hitscan" from the post I read a page back from another user; in that post that i wrote I described how I understood what the OP was describing from my perspective.

Did you know? Hitscan has one specific meaning in the game world lexicon of shooter games?

I did.

But i'm also able to learn that words can mean different things and change in meaning over time, you know, like an idiot right?

In other actually relevant news: the scout buggy owns, toot toot muthertruckers :bandwagon:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I just like fighting the bots because the game becomes MGS V without the Kojima pretentiousness, but with multiplayer.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Dunno why y'all have so much trouble with bot rockets, just dodge imho :c00lbert:
https://i.imgur.com/nEMmaWZ.mp4
Also maybe don't run into the open with no cover like I did, don't know what I was thinking there (probably fixated on the super sample rock)

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Rhymenoserous posted:

That’s why you sort out rounds and round order before kicking off the trigger (touching the console)

According to those who have done thorough testing, touching the console doesn't actually affect enemy spawns at all. Unless the event specifically triggers reinforcements (like seismic probes), the only reason that touching the console seems to make enemies show up is because patrols will always start to show up if you spend long enough hanging around an objective location.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Amazing Member posted:

Hi guys its me, Amazing Member, I made a post where I describe "hitscan" from the post I read a page back from another user; in that post that i wrote I described how I understood what the OP was describing from my perspective.

Did you know? Hitscan has one specific meaning in the game world lexicon of shooter games?

I did.

But i'm also able to learn that words can mean different things and change in meaning over time, you know, like an idiot right?

In other actually relevant news: the scout buggy owns, toot toot muthertruckers :bandwagon:

:gas:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Amazing Member posted:

I did.

quit being a member

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Amazing Member posted:

I did.

dissension propagation attempt REPORTED

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Amazing Member posted:

I did.

Deliberately misinterpreting a very commonly used term in online shooter games, used in the context of this online shooter game, and then claiming it's just the natural evolution of language seems a bit lovely to me. It's confusing if you want to have a genuine discussion about game mechanics, like the inability of goons to dodge missiles or get behind cover.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

New patch is out, it just fixes Arcs.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Some new players got excited when they found the stratagem game in my spaceship. I tried it afterwards and only just noticed one of the stratagems you type in is for "orbital illumination flare". How long has that been in there?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Pro Gamer move for Bot Eliminates - go off the map and then run back into the middle of the swarm of berzerkers and hulks - Traitor Status is like having a free 380mm barrage but you can aim it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Does it fix the random crashing. Or is that what you meant.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

raverrn posted:

New patch is out, it just fixes Arcs.

hell yeah time to zap some bugs

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

hey mom its 420 posted:

hell yeah time to zap some bugs

I'm gonna branch out a bit, try something new

gonna zap some bots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Does it fix the random crashing. Or is that what you meant.

That's what they mean, yeah.