Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

The guy in the video above suggested that the ship may have just drifted along its intended course under the main channel of the bridge had they not reversed the engines when it woke back up.

Yes but with no instruments to tell you your intended path, what would you do? Assume you won't hit the bridge or try to avoid hitting the bridge altogether by throwing it into reverse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

dr_rat posted:

Even just building a barrier to take that into account would be difficult.

Yeah but how much would building a flimsy barrier make you look like youre tackling a problem? Thats more indicative of if it would be done then actual technicals

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Lamar Jackson quarterback of the Baltimore ravens kept saying his catchphrase Big Truss and now this happens to our big truss bridge. We need to find out what he knew and if he was trying to warn us.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Medullah posted:

Nah the only deterrent is a good ship with a gun

Just looked it up, an aircraft carrier apparently weights about 100,000 tons. Just going by weight in a collision a cargo ships would win!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yes but with no instruments to tell you your intended path, what would you do? Assume you won't hit the bridge or try to avoid hitting the bridge altogether by throwing it into reverse?

Yeah totally not throwing blame at all, hitting all the brakes you have seems like the best solution to a layman like me. just more of a potential possibility that tragically did not occur

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

The guy in the video above suggested that the ship may have just drifted along its intended course under the main channel of the bridge had they not reversed the engines when it woke back up.

He was just watching the same low-angle, long-range youtube video we were. No one knows what was actually happening yet.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It also seems like something the captain only has a few seconds to think about too.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

thunderspanks posted:

This is what my city did a few decades ago after an adrift ship had a near miss

Container ships in/out need tied tugs as well

It's going to get a bit busier there for a bit. The traffic going to the basin is going to suck for the ferry. But ships that large can't go there anyway.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

bolind posted:

My armchair analysis:

The ship knew some minutes ahead of time that they were experiencing power issues, and warned the authorities. The bridge got closed for traffic, initially left-to-right, and, just in the nick of time, right-to-left. The "only" vehicles on the bridge at the time of collapse were emergency vehicles.

This could've gone a lot worse if it had happened during rush hour.

Bridge wasn't closed, the Fire Department didn't even know it had collapsed until like 6 minutes after getting dispatched to a call for a "possible vehicle in the water".
https://audiomack.com/aramshabanian...7WlVlMZjvx3n5c8

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Radio! posted:

Bridge wasn't closed, the Fire Department didn't even know it had collapsed until like 6 minutes after getting dispatched to a call for a "possible vehicle in the water".
https://audiomack.com/aramshabanian...7WlVlMZjvx3n5c8

It was closed with like a minute or two to spare, except for the DOT guys working on the bridge.
https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1772629105881632880

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Were trying to stop boats not store our grain buddy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm no harbor master but I thought tug boats were often used in tight passages like this in harbor.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

One of my favorite youtubers is Brick Immortar, who specializes in maritime disasters underpinned by safety oversights or negligence. "lessons learned style video essays" as he puts it. I have 0 doubts he'll eventually cover this, though likely not for a while as he usually sources heavily from NTSB reports. Here's his piece on Sunshine Skyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3htwtaJI2nM

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
watch bush start a war

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

I'm no harbor master but I thought tug boats were often used in tight passages like this in harbor.

Nah, usually they just help the ship leave the dock and pull away, but the ship was effectively under its own power and already maneuvering so the tugs go off to move the next ship.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Good mourning Baltimore

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
There weren't nearly enough guns involved to stop the out of control captain

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

SpannerX posted:

It's going to get a bit busier there for a bit. The traffic going to the basin is going to suck for the ferry. But ships that large can't go there anyway.

Yeah I'm a bit curious what the shipping traffic increase will be. Also living in a city where a mouse farting in the suburbs will make bridge traffic gridlocked for an hour, I can't even wrap my head about what Baltimore will be dealing with post-collapse. Jesus.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what we needed here was a good guy with a boat

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

There weren't nearly enough guns involved to stop the out of control captain

Only a good guy with a cargo ship can stop a bad guy with an out of control cargo ship.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

MasterSitsu posted:

Good mourning Baltimore

every day's like an open sore

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dr_rat posted:

Also with cargo ships, look how much the bow of the ship can extend in front of where the ship meets the water.

the nose under the water also sticks out like a submarine :dong: it makes the ship more efficient

but it's not like a ship is a 100% solid object, it's gonna deform a bit and ride up onto the barrier. whatever anti-ship barrier you make has to be big enough that it stops the ship and stops it far enough away from the bridge supports to be safe.

so I don't know that this:

thunderspanks posted:

This is what my city did a few decades ago after an adrift ship had a near miss

Container ships in/out need tied tugs as well

is gonna stop a mega-size container ship.

(but requiring them to have tugs means you don't need to worry about a full speed impact)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Please don't make a movie after this with Marky Mark as the protagonist.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

CommieGIR posted:

You do what's called "head-up navigation" and do whatever the hell you can with whatever you have and hope that the thousands of hours the master and pilot have under their belts count for something.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Another one?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

dr_rat posted:

Also with cargo ships, look how much the bow of the ship can extend in front of where the ship meets the water.

Im no expert on maritime stuff, but have cargo ships always been this large and loaded with shipping containers? Or is it something where everythings been growing over the years like American trucks and SUVs?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Nfcknblvbl posted:

*heavy Boston accent* we have to get these sex assholes to Sri Lanka I dont give a drat about no bridge

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Im no expert on maritime stuff, but have cargo ships always been this large and loaded with shipping containers? Or is it something where everythings been growing over the years like American trucks and SUVs?

That ship was literally the largest container ship in the world when it was launched in 2019, if that helps guide you to an answer.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I’m no expert on maritime stuff, but have cargo ships always been this large and loaded with shipping containers? Or is it something where everything’s been growing over the years like American trucks and SUVs?

Kinda steadily growing, but this looks to be a PANAMAX ship (max dimensions you can be and still fit through the Panama canal) which has been around for a while.

I think the Knock Noris/Jhare Viking or whatever is still the biggest ship, but it doesn't ship anything anymore if it's even still afloat.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, usually they just help the ship leave the dock and pull away, but the ship was effectively under its own power and already maneuvering so the tugs go off to move the next ship.

posting about tugging is bannable

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Personally I think they should have somehow Tokyo drifted into not hitting the bridge

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

thunderspanks posted:

That ship was literally the largest container ship in the world when it was launched in 2019, if that helps guide you to an answer.

Oh, so they are getting larger. Thanks for the answer :tipshat:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ships are gonna get big as gently caress once the Panama canal dries up and others take its place.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

You do what's called "head-up navigation" and do whatever the hell you can with whatever you have and hope that the thousands of hours the master and pilot have under their belts count for something.

Which would be great if you had propulsion or steering

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

thunderspanks posted:

It's a panamax so no, it wasn't

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Has anyone considered that they should build the bridge out of the stuff they make airplane black boxes out of?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Klyith posted:

the nose under the water also sticks out like a submarine :dong: it makes the ship more efficient

but it's not like a ship is a 100% solid object, it's gonna deform a bit and ride up onto the barrier. whatever anti-ship barrier you make has to be big enough that it stops the ship and stops it far enough away from the bridge supports to be safe.

so I don't know that this:

is gonna stop a mega-size container ship.

(but requiring them to have tugs means you don't need to worry about a full speed impact)

That's a fair point- I don't have any idea what the average CS size entering our port is. I know there is no size limit on paper, excepting that ships with more than a 45 meter draft need special permission. We had the Marco Polo come through a few years back and it was all over the news. But also ships these sizes were not things when those barriers were constructed. I have no doubt (there's already been panic posting on our local subreddit) that someone's going to be talking to the port authority about "but is it good enough?"

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

500excf type r posted:

It's a panamax so no, it wasn't

ok I'll say I was wrong if you can find a better source :shrug:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-49610297

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

thunderspanks posted:

ok I'll say I was wrong if you can find a better source :shrug:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-49610297

Define "largest". Length? Tonnage? Capacity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado