Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Another "why did you ever decide to have children with this person???" post

AITA for refusing to make breakfast for my FIL

quote:

I 25F recently got married (8months) to my 28 year old husband. My FIL came to visit 3 days ago and when he arrived late at night I was shocked because we were not expecting him until a day ago.

I’m heavily pregnant and I could easily pop anytime from now. My energy levels have dropped significantly and I can barely do any house work. Now the day he arrived I was lucky because I had prepared the meal in bulk for meal prep as I’m doing this to save energy. So I served him the food and it wasn’t a problem at all. Now fast forward to today, my FIL has an interview but last night both him and my husband didn’t let me know what time he was going to leave.

I was woken up early morning by my husband to iron his father’s clothes. I didn’t want to but I did it. I haven’t been well lately due to pregnancy and getting out of bed is a bit hard. My husband then went on to scroll on his phone whilst I did the ironing.

He didn’t bother to at least boil water for his father’s breakfast, after I was done ironing he asked why I hadn’t made breakfast for his father and went on to say I don’t love his relatives. I went back to bed and told him I wasn’t well and that I wasn’t going to make breakfast.

He went on to say he can’t wait for me to go to my parents( after I give birth I’m meant to stay at my parents and learn a few things about the baby) because I’ve become useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

Another "why did you ever decide to have children with this person???" post

AITA for refusing to make breakfast for my FIL

maybe her dad told her to

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I were in her position and asked to iron those clothes I would first say no. The second time asked I would iron the clothes straight into the outside garbage and drive to my parents place.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cythereal posted:

[Ontario] Neighbor's kids stole some of my pepper plants. They ate them, got hurt, now they want to sue.

I hate things like this, it's from 2015 and there's never been an update. The oldest kid is now a college freshman.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Or iron the shirt while he's wearing it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Call the place he's interviewing and tell them the person they are interviewing is the kind of man who wakes his 8 month pregnant daughter in law at 5 in the morning and demands she irons his clothes and make breakfast

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
If your job requires you to wear a shirt, imagine how loving debilitating it is when you can't iron one yourself. Like what do you do when there's no woman around? Do you just wander the building/neighbourhood looking for a woman?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Shanghaied posted:

Is attractive nuisance a thing in Canadian law?

i just wanna know what magical part of Canada is warm enough that gardens are dropping tomatoes already.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does anybody iron their clothes in this day and age? I'm 42! I have never worn an ironed shirt except at a concert I was in in Jr High School my mom insisted on ironing the shirt for.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

If your job requires you to wear a shirt, imagine how loving debilitating it is when you can't iron one yourself. Like what do you do when there's no woman around? Do you just wander the building/neighbourhood looking for a woman?

I don't think they could imagine a world where a woman wouldn't be in the kitchen already...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hawowanlawow posted:

not seeing that in the story
Whoops, I misread "They still came by when I was working on the garden, and I let them take fruits/veg then."

Carry on then!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cat botherer posted:

Does anybody actually call off weddings immediately before they're scheduled (barring something pretty bad)? Just do the ceremony and annul that poo poo, goddamn. You aren't getting out of paying the caterer.

I realise this may be strange to you but some people take the ceremony and the oaths seriously. Swearing 'Til death do we part' followed immediately by 'seeya' is kind of not cool. Not to mention you just wasted a whole bunch of people's time to bear witness to a sham marriage.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Shanghaied posted:

I think that's a uniquely USA thing.

One update in the comments, but nothing else:

OP posted:

Okay, I will call the police as soon as I get off work.

e: found this so yeah, no resolution

OP posted:

Alright, thank you guys so much for your help.

I will talk to the family and tell them because they trespassed, I won't pay for anything, and that they may also be in trouble because of damage of property and trespassing to try to scare them a bit. If they go ahead and call the police anyway, I'll explain the situation and hope for the best.

I don't plan to charge them or anything because it would be extremely awkward and possibly dangerous for me, as they are my neighbors.

How unsatisfying

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 26, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does anybody iron their clothes in this day and age? I'm 42! I have never worn an ironed shirt except at a concert I was in in Jr High School my mom insisted on ironing the shirt for.

Depends on what you do I suppose? I have been dressing a lot more casual since the pandemic, especially in spring/autumn/winter, but if I'm teaching a class or meeting students in like June or August, I would be wearing a shirt, untucked and with sleeves rolled up. I'd be more comfortable in a t-shirt, but it's a little too casual for my taste. I'll wear a t-shirt if I'm just working in the office though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

:confused: They're still giving him a mentor though, just not OP's mom.

I'm guessing that the bully enjoyed having his victim's mother as a mentor and really enjoyed hearing about how much the OP was suffering when their mother took everything away from them.

And, maybe OP's mother was actually a really good mentor and was helping them.

Now they've lost that, and that's all it takes for a bully to decide to escalate their bullshit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shanghaied posted:

Depends on what you do I suppose? I have been dressing a lot more casual since the pandemic, especially in spring/autumn/winter, but if I'm teaching a class or meeting students in like June or August, I would be wearing a shirt, untucked and with sleeves rolled up. I'd be more comfortable in a t-shirt, but it's a little too casual for my taste. I'll wear a t-shirt if I'm just working in the office though.

You don't gotta iron button up shirts though, just hang them soon after drying.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
OP Buried the lede on this one for r/legaladvice

My landlord walked into my house without permission.

quote:

Hey guys so I’m looking for advice about my landlord walking into my apartment without permission. I was taking a nap when I got woken but by some loud knocking and he let me know it was him so I yelled “Give me a moment” and he decided to waltz right into y apartment. So I yelled at him to get out of my house and close my door. He started acting super scared I’m guessing because he realized he had no right to enter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Stephen’s county, Oklahoma

I also should’ve mentioned the living status of the apartment. I’m not the only one having issues with how the apartments are with upkeep/repairs to outside the building. My windows have boards standing up against them because my landlord refuses to fix my windows. We have holes in the stairs and walkways leading up to my door. My neighbors stairs are not walkable on as for they would fall nearly immediately. I have missing floorboards. A lot of broken cabinets inside the house that was like that before we had moved in. My electric likes to flash off and on because no electrician has been in here since 96 and he doesn’t want to bring anyone here because he is a cheapo. We let him know about a leak in the bathtub and he waited for months to repair it so it was constantly running over $1000 a month in utilities.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm guessing that the bully enjoyed having his victim's mother as a mentor and really enjoyed hearing about how much the OP was suffering when their mother took everything away from them.

Now they've lost that, and that's all it takes for a bully to decide to escalate their bullshit.

Having a mentor does mean increased specific adult supervision for the bully at least. I imagine the school has a lot of incentive to not let this get any worse.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Some of us weren't born rich and have to make do with the drying pile :mad:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

I'm partial to chambray (don't want to look too formal, after all), and that poo poo wrinkles if you so much as look at it. So just hanging has never worked for me.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

welcome to hell posted:

But then there's this dude in the comments:
(and 51 more replies)

bud you don't have to live your life this way that's too depressing

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

The Maroon Hawk posted:

BF is a shithead obviously but what the gently caress is the point of having a nice car that’s “never driven”? I get reserving it for special occasions or Sunday drives or whatever but literally just letting it sit in a garage forever? poo poo, I’m not even a Car Guy and that still seems like a terrible waste lmao

As long as there's no gas in the tank [1] and the battery is disconnected/removed and on a trickle charger [2] and you're willing to put on a complete new set of tyres before driving [3], and you don't have mice/insects/birds/any kind of nesting pest in the storage area, there's nothing wrong with never driving a car, and you may even be able to drive it someday without risking the death of the engine, the driver, or the driver's wallet.

[1] Gas/Petrol (depending on what side of the road you drive) is a mixture of various hydrocarbons, not a compound. It gets less combustible and more gummy (hello fuel line blockages!) as it ages. Fuel stablizers can extend the deadline, and gas tanks are technically a sealed container, but google says 3 years is about the max you can expect to store gas.
[2] Car batteries degrade over time, even if not used and there's no drain from car systems (alarm, etc). If not kept on a trickle charger/battery maintainer it'll go too flat to start the car/etc within 3 months or so, and of course may corrode leads, etc later on.
[3] The rubber in tyres loses flexibility over time as it oxidises ("dry rot") - temp control helps a lot but tires older than 6-7 years are probably going to have some.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If the bully escalates, they were going to escalate anyway regardless of this happening. gently caress 'im.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ominous Jazz posted:

bud you don't have to live your life this way that's too depressing

No I'm making ADULTHOOD sound REAL

Real lovely

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shanghaied posted:

I'm partial to chambray (don't want to look too formal, after all), and that poo poo wrinkles if you so much as look at it. So just hanging has never worked for me.

Just be wrinkled, nobody cares

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Just be wrinkled, nobody cares

bu- but I care :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't believe people who say that they can sense their allergen at the other end of a large building. I also don't believe the dummy who doesn't realize he can just put hazelnut into the coffee after he makes it. I guess he takes it black?

The bully mentor story is still so unsatisfying. We haven't gotten even a hint of a reason as to why mom insisted on mentoring the bully.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

flavored coffee drinkers should have their coffee machines segregated in a shed out back

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for "hazel blocking" my coworker?

I think I dislike everyone here.

We got a new thread title pretty recently but I think this post has lots of potential

And yeah, you can just buy hazelnut syrup/flavoring to add to your coffee, but I guess that won't satisfy his hazel boner?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

thepopmonster posted:

As long as there's no gas in the tank [1] and the battery is disconnected/removed and on a trickle charger [2] and you're willing to put on a complete new set of tyres before driving [3], and you don't have mice/insects/birds/any kind of nesting pest in the storage area, there's nothing wrong with never driving a car, and you may even be able to drive it someday without risking the death of the engine, the driver, or the driver's wallet.

[1] Gas/Petrol (depending on what side of the road you drive) is a mixture of various hydrocarbons, not a compound. It gets less combustible and more gummy (hello fuel line blockages!) as it ages. Fuel stablizers can extend the deadline, and gas tanks are technically a sealed container, but google says 3 years is about the max you can expect to store gas.
[2] Car batteries degrade over time, even if not used and there's no drain from car systems (alarm, etc). If not kept on a trickle charger/battery maintainer it'll go too flat to start the car/etc within 3 months or so, and of course may corrode leads, etc later on.
[3] The rubber in tyres loses flexibility over time as it oxidises ("dry rot") - temp control helps a lot but tires older than 6-7 years are probably going to have some.

On one hand, a car sitting for a period of time, especially a supercar, is gonna have seals and gaskets and poo poo get crumbly and bad over time depending on how long it is sitting

On the other hand, I literally watch a channel where a dude gets cars up from being abandoned in a field to driving

https://youtu.be/6O54d6TT52Y

mystes
May 31, 2006

Flavored coffee beans are absolutely loving gross but essential oils are also awful.

I would probably buy the person hazelnut syrup or something if it would stop them from inflicting their flavored coffee bean terrorism on the office though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

Yeah, he's called Justin Trudeau

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mystes posted:

Flavored coffee beans are absolutely loving gross but essential oils are also awful.

When I think about it, lots of flavored coffee beans are just beans covered with oils, so maybe I'm just grossed out by scented oils.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
WIBTA if i didnt move into a shithole house my bf and his dad want to flip?

quote:

My bf's (m27) dad (m60s) has proposed a joint venture: we buy a run-down property, renovate it, and either rent it out or sell it for profit. The catch? We'd have to move into the property, pay rent to his dad, and though I (f25) do make a lot more than my bf, we can't afford to stay where we are and pay the rent to his dad. I'm feeling disappointed because I'm quite content with our current living situation. We're in a beautiful rental in a fantastic neighborhood, and I've only recently settled in after moving here about a year ago. I've expressed my concerns to my boyfriend, but it seems like my opinions are being brushed aside. He insists that this is the best way to secure our financial future quickly. However, I believe we could afford to wait and explore other options. Despite my efforts to engage in discussions and ask questions, I feel like my voice isn't being heard. My boyfriend and his dad are actively looking at properties and discussing plans without properly involving me in the decision-making process. I fear that if I resist financially, it might strain my relationship with my boyfriend. While I understand the significance of homeownership as a milestone, I'm not convinced that we need to rush into it right now, especially if it means sacrificing our current stability.

i communicated this again to my bf this last weekend after we went on a hour tour to the most disgusting house that literally had cracks in the walls. he got angry with me saying I didn't understand and that I don't know anything about this so I cannot have a say. he also expects me to be his "girlfriend" which apparently means I should not question moving into this place with him because that is what a supportive partner should do. i defended myself and stated I didn't like the idea of paying rent to his dad to live in a shithole and he essentially is saying that I am the AH for resisting this change.

Am I wrong to feel disappointed in this situation? Would it be unreasonable for me to refuse to contribute to the mortgage on the new property and insist on staying where we are? AITA for saying i am uncomfortable with this and defending my pov? WIBTA if i didn't move into the shithole house?

Lmao does the BF and his dad even know how to fix a house?

the OP posted:

i think they know how to do basic ones. replace the sink head...stop a leak under the sink, fill a hole. repair a door, etc. seems magical to me. i should also state, we live in a whole different state than the dad. it would ONLY be my bf doing the repairs or a contractor...

How would this poo poo even work? The OP and the BF aren't married, the house will be in the BF's dad's name. They aren't lending to the dad, but paying him rent, so there's no guarantee that the OP will get a cent out of this, especially if they break up.

the OP posted:

i have NO idea. we arent married, so not even a FIL! but essentially sort of a FIL figure. as far as I am concerned, this wont benefit me financially at all. no exp fixing houses. also, the argument I heard is that my bf will profit, somehow, also unclear. and apparently that somehow benefits me, but if we break up for any reason..........yeah. its. yeah. insane. unfair. not cool. i will have sacrificed a lot for nothing.

But I think the BF might be going through some stuff lol.

the OP posted:

im shocked hes acting this way tbh. typically isn't like these and we behave as equals, even tho I make more, we split everything right down the middle (rent, food we share, utilities, etc). when he said that my jaw was like on the floor and I said verbatim, "so you just expect me go to along with anything you say without a fight? or asking questions?" and he responded with "with something that makes sense like this, I cant see why wouldn't agree to it and be supportive of me! do you think this is a dumb idea? do you want me to wait until YOU buy us a house in the next 6 months? i also don't want to leave our current place either but this is the ONLY WAY to benefit financially for me right now since I cant invest."

its just. so irrational IMO. this is not his usual demeanor, but yes. i was floored when he spoke to me like that. not ok to treat anyone you love like that.

jfc, if you can't afford to invest, either make more money or stfu, don't drag other people into your dumb schemes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If you really love me you'll go all in on my get rich quick scheme!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

How would this poo poo even work? The OP and the BF aren't married, the house will be in the BF's dad's name. They aren't lending to the dad, but paying him rent, so there's no guarantee that the OP will get a cent out of this, especially if they break up.

jfc, if you can't afford to invest, either make more money or stfu, don't drag other people into your dumb schemes.

God I hope she dumps him ASAP

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

if she hasn't actually met FIL in person because he's in another state she might want to do that and get a quick tooth count first

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Shanghaied posted:

The idea that someone will move into my shithole and renovate it for me while also paying me rent is a foolproof financial plan and benefits me greatly at your expense.

What do you mean no

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Listen you dumb bitch, it's impossible to lose money flipping houses. If you're rich enough to buy more than one house you're entitled to make a profit. It's in the Constitution!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shanghaied posted:

I absolutely love reading about guys finding themselves with the opportunity to be a kept man and deciding hey, I should blow this the gently caress up because dick and balls.