Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

thunderspanks posted:

ok I'll say I was wrong if you can find a better source :shrug:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-49610297

Sorry thought you meant the Dali

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I’m no expert on maritime stuff, but have cargo ships always been this large and loaded with shipping containers? Or is it something where everything’s been growing over the years like American trucks and SUVs?

They have been getting larger as global trade has been scaling up, but giant ships are more efficient than small ships so it's not an inherently bad thing that they've gotten so big. It's not like they built a giant ship so they'd feel safer when there's a collision with a smaller object like a bridge.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Fumble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbUXewlQDk

this guy really knows his stuff and gives a breakdown.

Was coming in to post this, it's a pro follow.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Define "largest". Length? Tonnage? Capacity?
Beats me, man. I'm just regurgitating easily google-able factoids. Just a roundabout way of saying "yes, cargo ships are getting bigger"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The video is a little deceiving (at least it was to me). It looks like the ship is running almost parallel to the bridge and then does like a 90 degree turn at the last minute to aim right at the support. In reality it starts off perpendicular to the bridge, aiming directly through the middle, then starts drifting a few degrees before hitting. The angle of the camera and the silhouetting of everything makes it not obvious.

That ship fellow also syncs up the footage with the track here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39w6aQFKSQ

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ships are gonna get big as gently caress once the Panama canal dries up and others take its place.

That'd be the Northwest Passage

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The panama canal also use got upgraded over the last 10 years so the most common size of container ship is now *much* bigger.

Neopanamax is like twice the cargo size of old panamax (ie twice the mass), and 20-60% bigger in every physical dimension.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Given that this happened in Baltimore I'm gonna guess the ultimate cause was corruption.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Klyith posted:

The panama canal also use got upgraded over the last 10 years so the most common size of container ship is now *much* bigger.

Neopanamax is like twice the cargo size of old panamax (ie twice the mass), and 20-60% bigger in every physical dimension.

Closer to 3x cargo capacity, 5000 vs 13000 TEU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ship was out for blood

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

6 missing, two living people recovered , one seems to be in rough shape at Johns Hopkins Shock Trauma, the other refused treatment. Crew was repairing potholes. There was some warning and attempt to get people off and prevent them from going on to the bridge but things happened very fast. All from governors press conference.

Imagine being on a bridge that fell down and being like nah Im good with the hospital ima head home.

Do you think their boss is going to prorate their wages for the day so that they clock out the moment the bridge got hit? I do

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

See this is what happens when you assign McNulty to the marine unit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

the only effective deterrent for a ship that large is a whole decoy bridge

or, according to several armchair "engineers" in this thread, a giza pyramid

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Given that this happened in Baltimore I'm gonna guess the ultimate cause was corruption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Jimmy McNulty working as a harbour master after getting fired for getting drunken head in the evidence room.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Please don't make a movie after this with Marky Mark as the protagonist.

What if Marky Mark plays the bridge?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

thunderspanks posted:

Container ships in/out need tied tugs as well

everybody needs a good Dom

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

See this is what happens when you assign McNulty to the marine unit.

More of a Ziggy move tbh. He'd be out on parole right about now anyway

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

thunderspanks posted:

More of a Ziggy move tbh. He'd be out on parole right about now anyway

:lol: good point

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Do you think their boss is going to prorate their wages for the day so that they clock out the moment the bridge got hit? I do

We used to joke that the 1-800 number on our hardhat safety stickers was actually the number for the timesheet help desk so they could accurately capture the time you stopped working.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I know theres plenty of good old SA dark humor here it being GBS and all but thanks to those of you who are locals able to give local info and those of you with the maritime/engineering/physics background to explain basic plain facts. Its a horrible accident but at least I understand how it likely happened instead of being inundated with a bunch of social media bullshit

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Earwicker posted:

or, according to several armchair "engineers" in this thread, a giza pyramid

Man, poo poo. I seen a tiny-rear end 200m seawaymax drop a pyramid plenty of days, man. Motherfuckers get up in you like a pilot, rip your rear end up. Big bridges, though... Big bridges, man, just break your trusses, you say, "gently caress it." I'm gonna go with this right here, man. How much do I owe you?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

500excf type r posted:

Closer to 3x cargo capacity, 5000 vs 13000 TEU

we're also up to 24,000 TEU at the high end right now

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Christ I thought you were posting that someone had made an NFT of it already

Man. I dont think Ill ever forget my wife waking me up to tell me the loving Key Bridge collapsed. It didnt seem real. Still doesnt

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I hope they had an insurance for that bridge.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Disco Pope posted:

Jimmy McNulty working as a harbour master after getting fired for giving drunken head in the evidence room.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
McNulty wouldve backed the boat up and tried again, only to slam into the bridge a second time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wonder if we throw a vast amount of resources how fast we can get the bridge back.
I hope the foundations are solid, since I'd think if they are, it will go much faster.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The ship's lodged in place, so they can use that as a new foundation.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/MolotovFlicker/status/1772531869155770480/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1772531869155770480&currentTweetUser=MolotovFlicker

Incredible.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so like..people are going around the barriers because they want to go gawk at the accident site? or people going around the barriers because they think this is some government conspiracy and the bridge isn't really out or...something?

common sense wouldve suggested the former a few decades ago but these days who knows

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Let em find out the hard way

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How are they meant to make tiktok vids if they can't drive to the bridge?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

so like..people are going around the barriers because they want to go gawk at the accident site? or people going around the barriers because they think this is some government conspiracy and the bridge isn't really out or...something?

common sense wouldve suggested the former a few decades ago but these days who knows

"Can you bring the bodies closer, officer? My wife wants to see"

- Local Passerby

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

goatface posted:

How are they meant to make tiktok vids if they can't drive to the bridge?

oh no

oh no

oh no no no no no

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So clearly any of the sex arses that went into the water can't be sold for human use

But what if we recover them, and use them as a protective layer on the new bridge to bounce any ships back the way they came?

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Kevyn posted:

McNulty wouldve backed the boat up and tried again, only to slam into the bridge a second time.

lol

Already pulled, what was it?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

When I was a kid, my friend told me I had to check out this show called The A-Team on channel 5, but he had cable and I didn't so instead I got to watch a terrible disaster movie called The Night The Bridge Fell Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4JCnlvF4lk

Not content to simply be about a collapsing bridge, I think it also features escaping bank robbers, terrorists and a woman giving birth on the collapsing bridge iirc