Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Antigravitas posted:

When discussing the forces involved in large ships, adjectives like "titantic" are fully appropriate. Even at only 4 knots there's enough energy to gently caress things up beyond repair.

I wonder if there's footage around of a ship at full cruise speed (~20kn) hitting a pier.

Dramatization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNAPjN1rqcQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Infrastructure Weak.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MononcQc posted:

Annotated recording of the 4m40s before impact, showing the ship losing power, regaining it, losing it again, and so on. Wind was apparently blowing from right to left (on the recording).
https://youtu.be/65uEshwEhO4?si=PXlAFmc--RP0i5na
yea our fragile infrastructure is way more terrifying than what politicians are drumming up about tik tok. its a national security issue for how vulnerable train traffic has revealed to be

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

They rammed the bridge with the equivalent of 10 Eiffel Towers

No, that is not an exaggeration

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

quote:

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said crew on the ship were able to issue a "mayday" before colliding into the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which allowed authorities to stop traffic from going on the bridge.

"We're thankful that between the 'mayday' and collapse that-that we had officials who were able to-to begin the stop the flow of traffic so more cars were not up on the bridge," Moore said.

I was just wondering this, how much alert they were able to get out. First loss of power (presumably, who knows if they were dealing with any smaller issues on-board ahead of the apparent full-power-outage) to bridge strike was like four and a half minutes? Only so much local authorities could do to make it safe

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a picture of the area now that it's sunlight.

It's an aerial view, but I'm putting it in spoilers for those who don't want to see.

https://i.imgur.com/rvTH7aE.png

Those electrical poles ahead of the bridge look like they have more collision protection than the bridge pylons.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

KoRMaK posted:

yea our fragile infrastructure is way more terrifying than what politicians are drumming up about tik tok. its a national security issue for how vulnerable train traffic has revealed to be

Is it fair to call it “fragile” when it was taken out by basically the worst possible option?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the video of the ship with the power going off and on before it hits the bridge makes it look like they were trying to shoot one gap and probably could have made it if it hadn't gone out again

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Omnikin posted:

I was just wondering this, how much alert they were able to get out. First loss of power (presumably, who knows if they were dealing with any smaller issues on-board ahead of the apparent full-power-outage) to bridge strike was like four and a half minutes? Only so much local authorities could do to make it safe

Going by Google maps there are variable message signs on either end so presumably if you gave the dot enough warning they could switch them to a bridge closed sort of message. Not very helpful for anyone on the bridge but maybe they were able to stop a few minutes worth of traffic?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Rectum? drat near killed em' (the bridge).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

hawowanlawow posted:

the video of the ship with the power going off and on before it hits the bridge makes it look like they were trying to shoot one gap and probably could have made it if it hadn't gone out again

Unlikely. The channel is 16m deep, and outside of the channel is 8m deep. Dali's draught was 12m at the time. They might have been trying to ground themselves. Beats the hell out of taking out a bridge.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

FuturePastNow posted:

Those electrical poles ahead of the bridge look like they have more collision protection than the bridge pylons.

Those poles are also more than 50 years newer than the bridge and spaced out wider than the bridge pylons can be.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Is it fair to call it “fragile” when it was taken out by basically the worst possible option?
the infrastructure defender has logged on. this is an offensively privatized brain question

did a major transport corridor in a major US city collapse because traffic that regularly passes by it had a control issue? Did you happen to see what happened when a train derailed at low speed last year? have you been reading this thread at all in the last year or few noting the literal rusted out infrastructure? condo buildings collapsing?

to answer your question, yes its completely fair to say its fragile. with the train derailment in East Palestine it demonstrated how you could nuke a whole city with simple derailers. those trains run right through the middle of many population centers.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 26, 2024

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KoRMaK posted:

the infrastructure defender has logged on. this is an offensively privatized brain question

did a major transport corridor in a major US city collapse because traffic that regularly passes by it had a control issue? Did you happen to see what happened when a train derailed at low speed last year? have you been reading this thread at all in the last year or few nothing the literal rusted out infrastructure? condo buildings collapsible?

Stop trying to view everything through the lens of your own hobbyhorse. That other things are examples of infrastructure in poor upkeep does not mean that this one is, and if “good infrastructure” means “bridge can take a hit from a 100,000+ ton cargo carrier,” I think you’re going to be disappointed with anyone’s infrastructure.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Stop trying to view everything through the lens of your own hobbyhorse. That other things are examples of infrastructure in poor upkeep does not mean that this one is, and if “good infrastructure” means “bridge can take a hit from a 100,000+ ton cargo carrier,” I think you’re going to be disappointed with anyone’s infrastructure.
there just simply can not be anything done is what you are saying?

poor upkeep and poor planning is what is causing these. its really putting the blinders on for you to containerize it in your brain and not see a potential systemic, recurring pattern

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

poor upkeep and poor planning is what is causing these. its really putting the blinders on for you to containerize it in your brain and not see a potential systemic, recurring pattern

Please explain how better bridge maintenance would have stopped this from happening.

While you're at it, since when has cargo ships hitting bridges been a "systemic, recurring pattern?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Again, you're putting on blinders. I said our infrastructure is fragile. Is part of that maintenance, yea sure, but i didn't cite maintenance, im citing planning and mitigation. if traffic that regularly runs under that bridge can cause the whole thing to collapse and shutdown a major corridor it is by definition fragile.

The recurring pattern is lack of investment into safety in an environment of pathologically lowering costs. we're in the OSHA thread and still you're not getting how the pursuit of profits is shortcoming safety

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 26, 2024

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It reminds me of the Sunshine Skyway collapse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

You can see the old and new bridges here. Including the protective dolphins they added for the new one. And the main towers are basically on islands.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

So just never build bridges ever, then?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KoRMaK posted:

The bridge didn't collapse because of poor upkeep. It collapsed because a ship had a major engineering casualty and wasn't able to recover in time. That's an allision that is going to destroy most if not all bridges on the planet. A 100 ton ship moving at four knots is carrying a fuckton of momentum.

If there are failures, it's with the ship, and no one will disagree that capitalism has hosed things up beyond repair in that industry.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Log082 posted:

So just never build bridges ever, then?

Yes, like helicopters they inherently try to defy gravity and will inevitably fail at it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Antigravitas posted:

When discussing the forces involved in large ships, adjectives like "titantic" are fully appropriate. Even at only 4 knots there's enough energy to gently caress things up beyond repair.

I wonder if there's footage around of a ship at full cruise speed (~20kn) hitting a pier.

So you are saying they should have put icebergs around the bridge? :hmmyes:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Can't ship here mate

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

If there are failures, it's with the ship, and no one will disagree that capitalism has hosed things up beyond repair in that industry.
question - is the ship part of a national and international system of infrastructure?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Simply build 11 effiel towers to protect the bridge. dunno what you all aren't getting about our options here

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

don't talk to kormak about national and international systems of infrastructure until he has had his coffee

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KoRMaK posted:

question - is the ship part of a national and international system of infrastructure?

Infrastructure is the immobile fixtures of civil engineering, so no

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm pretty sure that you'll find people absolutely willing to disagree that it's capitalism's fault.

For example, this guy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I wanted to joke infrastructure weak about this too but the infrastructure weak assessment in this case depends on the outcomes over the next weeks on opening the shipping channel and evaluating road traffic impacts and the ability to do stuff like implement band aids like ferries in weeks instead of months to years.

The resultsis probably going to be infrastructure weak but it's an inaccurate joke about what happens when a ship plumb runs into a bridge.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

haveblue posted:

Infrastructure is the immobile fixtures of civil engineering, so no

It doesn't seem that immobile on the video

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Zero One posted:

It reminds me of the Sunshine Skyway collapse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

You can see the old and new bridges here. Including the protective dolphins they added for the new one. And the main towers are basically on islands.

theoretically, how many of those dolphins would have been needed to arrest the ship? a million? a thousand?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

you can see the ships lights cut out for a bit right before it makes contact, having power failures
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...eb3d95ade181c7&

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KoRMaK posted:

theoretically, how many of those dolphins would have been needed to arrest the ship? a million? a thousand?
One well placed well trained dolphin with a keel breaking depth charge.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Dolphins, the sheriffs of the sea

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Alchemist posted:

Dolphins, the sheriffs of the sea

adab

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

KoRMaK posted:

I'm confused, are you arguing that if 1000 dolphins are needed to prevent a freak accident, we should build 1000 dolphins?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scholtz posted:

I'm confused, are you arguing that if 1000 dolphins are needed to prevent a freak accident, we should build 1000 dolphins?

Are you saying we shouldn't?

Well maybe like orcas would be more effective since I assume you wouldn't need as many

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you saying we shouldn't?

Well maybe like orcas would be more effective since I assume you wouldn't need as many

Pilot whales are even more bad rear end, get those instead imo

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Scholtz posted:

They are the unique Allied naval unit, so we might as well use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

biden is about to deploy the orcas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiv25vplgL0