Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

So that leaves Chirurgeon as a specialization that seems useful, and doesn't result in unintended negative consequences (except the consumption of healing items, which is what they're there for). I'm probably going to switch my pawn to this as soon as I can.

I had some bad experiences with my pawn wasting a bunch of healing items healing damage that could have been easily healed by the Mage, so it's not exactly ideal. I guess I could see it being more useful if you're running a party without a healer, but Chirurgeon pawns still seem to use healing items a lot earlier than necessary.

Phlegmish posted:

Whichever goon has a pawn named Tandri, I think they have (mechanical/story? spoilers) the Dragonblight? I hired her and immediately got a pop-up about that mechanic, which is extremely sus. Had to dismiss her immediately just to be sure.

Nah, that happened to me a while back with someone who didn't have it, and pawns will frequently start talking about Dragonblight immediately after I summon a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

The Lone Badger posted:

There’s a walljump, haven’t seen double jump yet.

I just had this quest dumped on me while I’m half-dead looking for an inn or camping kit, so I’m kinda nervous. Plus I’m underlevelled for the region and just changed vocations.

I took an ox cart did some shopping and then it turned night and this got dumped on me, I have zero of map explored so I went wandering in dark.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Dragon’s Dogma 2 remembers how Dragon Age Inquisition gave you like 14 active abilities but only let you use 10 at a time. What this game presupposes that instead of having 10 slots, you had 4.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Dragon’s Dogma 2 remembers how Dragon Age Inquisition gave you like 14 active abilities but only let you use 10 at a time. What this game presupposes that instead of having 10 slots, you had 4.

Like my fighter is just never going to touch the cliff racer enemies bc doing so would mean giving up something vastly more useful to the vast majority of encounters not featuring cliff racers

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Basic Chunnel posted:

And I thank Itsuno for that and if something doesn’t work I can hit up the nearest camp to change unlocked skills.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

dragons dogma 1 and 2 are really good but when are they gonna release dragons catma????

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kevin Bacon posted:

dragons dogma 1 and 2 are really good but when are they gonna release dragons catma????

MH Wilds is next year.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I've come to like logistic pawns for making the act of waiting for fruits and meats to ripen before turning them into dried fruits and meats. I often forget about it all when I'm exploring and running around so them being a constant watch on my inventory to keep things from going rotten is a big help. And my chisurgeon pawn blows through droughts quicker than I can replenish them. I've been running with dual sorcerer's and (usually) an archer. And I do whatever I feel like. Health stuff crafting spoilers: combine any roberant with cinnamon bark to get Mighty Roberant which heals tons of health and a bit of stamina. I would however save your potato roberants because they give even more stamina which is more efficient.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

If I give my pawn the logistician specialization using the tome, does it consume the tome? I ask because I wonder if I can switch them back and forth between specializations to experiment as I unlock them?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 26, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really wish using a riftstone would auto resummon all of your pawns that just dunked themselves into the brine instead of only your main pawn because it feels bad to have a cool pawn go back with no gift/rating

The first game did this and it was so common have pawns get the default rating because they brined themselves that it seemed like a complete no brainer to change.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Owl Inspector posted:

I really wish using a riftstone would auto resummon all of your pawns that just dunked themselves into the brine instead of only your main pawn because it feels bad to have a cool pawn go back with no gift/rating

The first game did this and it was so common have pawns get the default rating because they brined themselves that it seemed like a complete no brainer to change.

The first game did not do that

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I think I made a mistake starting with Thief because every other vocation feels slow and undertuned by comparison. Darth Maul feels alright and Warrior has a fun Monster Hunter Greatsword vibe, but why go to all that trouble when I could just helm splitter/face stab all day?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tarezax posted:

The first game did not do that

If a pawn fell in the brine they were removed with 3 stars for everything with no gift/comment

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Owl Inspector posted:

That wasn't a thing in the first game at all.

Edit: Ambiguity in the post. Yeah, no, that's right. It would be nice if the riftstone did that in either game.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Owl Inspector posted:

The first game did [have a cool pawn go back with no gift/rating] and it was so common have pawns get the default rating because they brined themselves that it seemed like a complete no brainer to change.

Come on guys, reading comprehension

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if the pawn I hired yeeted itself into the brine then it deserves nothing more. I don't care if I've spent 3 in game weeks with them.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Phlegmish posted:

Whichever goon has a pawn named Tandri, I think they have (mechanical/story? spoilers) the Dragonblight? I hired her and immediately got a pop-up about that mechanic, which is extremely sus. Had to dismiss her immediately just to be sure.

e: I looked at the sheet and the goon in question should be Rynyin

Thanks for the heads up! I haven't noticed her acting strange yet but ever ready to yeet off a cliff if needed

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://x.com/dragonsdogma/status/1772662422106431568?s=46&t=5FKl-ixbCXbE4AGzaUeI-g

Lmao people are so made in the replies

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I think I made a mistake starting with Thief because every other vocation feels slow and undertuned by comparison. Darth Maul feels alright and Warrior has a fun Monster Hunter Greatsword vibe, but why go to all that trouble when I could just helm splitter/face stab all day?

skullsplitter and draw & quarter are comically overtuned, yeah. skullsplitter's vertical reach means that you can hit the vitals of everything except a cyclops while grounded, and draw & quarter does a ludicrous amount of vital damage, generally enough to instantly stagger anything except drakes. your AoE damage sucks, sure, but that doesn't matter in a game where you can just hire 3 guys who are good at that anyways

i think the only real competition in terms of raw throughput is sorc with maelstrom, but thief's got the big advantage of being fast paced and fun to play in general versus sitting still waiting for an animation to finish all the time on sorc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it still beggars belief that people are being caught off guard by a mechanic that the game literally stops you dead in your tracks to tell you how to avoid

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

That sounds like it would just make a ton of fights more tedious. It seems like "enemies do more damage" would be the more intuitive way to make things harder.

If by "tedious" you mean "enemies get a slight chance at doing at least something before they're smeared across the floor" then yes, it's very "tedious".

Raising enemy damage would do absolutely nothing when enemies don't get to attack.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 26, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
skullsplitter is definitely very very powerful for something that you just have to walk up to a guy to use, at least D&Q requires extra effort of clinging at the weakspot. fwiw i think skullsplitter at least needs some mild retuning since it seems wild to have like a one button i win

i love it

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 26, 2024

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Is there any guide to affinity? Does it degrade over time? Do I need to say hi to my friends all the time to remain friends?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sloober posted:

i dont think it's necessarily an inn that's required - i think it works at any situation that has your pawn return from being hired so your house should work just fine because its clear that it contacts the server at that point for the return items & RC

Word, and double confirmed bc a steam friend posted a screenshot of Garfield in his fancy new clothes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I've been looking into the specializations. Forager seemed hands down the most useful one to me at first, but a lot of the resource information you get from pawns is...wrong? I don't know why exactly, but it's disappointing. Then I thought about going Hawker, but apparently you can only get it to work under specific circumstances, and you can't choose which items you want to sell to the pawn. So that's out. Logistician seems to result in pawns doing things you might not want, though I haven't checked this myself. Woodland Wordsmith is theoretically useful, but only for a specific area of the game. Lastly, gently caress Aphonite, I don't consider that to be a proper specialization.

So that leaves Chirurgeon as a specialization that seems useful, and doesn't result in unintended negative consequences (except the consumption of healing items, which is what they're there for). I'm probably going to switch my pawn to this as soon as I can.

I always try to have a mage around though that specialty just eats away healing items needlessly too often. Honestly think I might just go forager if I can get it since it doesn't seem to have a downside besides not being very useful in the first place. The woodland one seems good but afaik I need to trek somewhere specific I don't technically know about yet and also literally don't know where it is, and I'd rather just keep playing naturally as I go, kind of the charm I can go dozens of hours and have just avoided the specialization quests so far lol.

Also did I hear you can get the specializations from rented pawns, if so, how, I don't know how to make them like me to give it to me.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I always try to have a mage around though that specialty just eats away healing items needlessly too often. Honestly think I might just go forager if I can get it since it doesn't seem to have a downside besides not being very useful in the first place. The woodland one seems good but afaik I need to trek somewhere specific I don't technically know about yet and also literally don't know where it is, and I'd rather just keep playing naturally as I go, kind of the charm I can go dozens of hours and have just avoided the specialization quests so far lol.

Also did I hear you can get the specializations from rented pawns, if so, how, I don't know how to make them like me to give it to me.

it involves doing their pawn quest and the pawn owner offering a scroll inclination as a reward iirc. basically you have to look at the pawn quest rewards

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The idea of my pawn going evil sicko mode is very funny to me. He's just this tall enthusiastic Asian himbo.

I kind of hope he catches the disease at some point just to see what that's like.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Lmao people are so made in the replies

Saw this screencap posted and man, this game is becoming a meltdown enabler from like a billion different angles huh.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've made my pawn incredibly ugly, put an executioner's hood on him, and he's extremely sarcastic at all times so if he gets dragon covid I will have no way of knowing lol

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Just some random thoughts:

1) Plunder on my Thief pawn has been a lot of fun. Yeah it's mostly garbage (and the random silver ore) but I'm easily amused at the other pawns going "hell yeah, nice work stealing".

2) I completely misunderstood the tutorials and didn't realize I could use Left Button + Skill to let the game auto-aim Archer abilities that aren't the basic Loose Arrow. Less damage than aiming for weakspots, but it's quite nice when things get chaotic and I just want to spam Torrent and watch goblins get stunlocked.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Oh, yeah I totally misread that post my bad

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rynyin posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I haven't noticed her acting strange yet but ever ready to yeet off a cliff if needed

Yeah I obviously don't know if it's actually the case, but I thought it was suspicious that it popped up for her and no one else. If it turns out not to be true, please let us know, then we can safely ignore that pop-up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

Just some random thoughts:

1) Plunder on my Thief pawn has been a lot of fun. Yeah it's mostly garbage (and the random silver ore) but I'm easily amused at the other pawns going "hell yeah, nice work stealing".

2) I completely misunderstood the tutorials and didn't realize I could use Left Button + Skill to let the game auto-aim Archer abilities that aren't the basic Loose Arrow. Less damage than aiming for weakspots, but it's quite nice when things get chaotic and I just want to spam Torrent and watch goblins get stunlocked.

Yeah it took me a bit to notice that but letting L1 auto aim at weak, fast enemies is great. R1 is for Dire Arrow / Keen Sight or shooting at weak points on big monsters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Saw this screencap posted and man, this game is becoming a meltdown enabler from like a billion different angles huh.

Lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OH gently caress ME!
Mystic Spearhand's primary mechanic wants me to do Blue Rose charge shots?!

At least it's not an exceed mechanic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jack Trades posted:

OH gently caress ME!
Mystic Spearhand's primary mechanic wants me to do Blue Rose charge shots?!

At least it's not an exceed mechanic.

yes spearhand is nero and like nero wants you to be holding R1 at all times

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I personally really dislike spearhand but I'm glad people like it, there's something for everyone.

also i've experimented with fighter more and i'm convinced it's the best class. perfect parry opens enemies up instantly for a full counter (i can two shot saurians now which owns), and it does more stagger than counter deflect or other class deflections, so it's almost always a full counter. You can also do it to BIG enemies, parrying a cyclops and making him drop his weapon is the coolest poo poo

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

When I first unlocked the mystic spearhand at the same time I also got a drop for a spearhand weapon that is multiple times stronger than the best weapon I can buy in Vernworth for any other class. So its really hard for me to tell if I like the class or not because right now it is so much objectively stronger than I could be on any other class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so [MAJOR STORY SPOILERS]I'm glad we get to majorly gently caress up the world in this game as well.