Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3gjl7w847yo

I feel like everyone just stopped learning anything about thermodynamics at that university, because their brief was to make airliners still viable when the fossil fuels get too expensive and people notice climate change.

The option for people to not fly so much is not suggested. It’s instead for a university to have trucks of cash shipped to it to finally realise that, actually, hydrogen powering your EasyJet to the Costa del Sol is not realistic.

Given no one has made an even halfway useful and economical hydrogen fuel cell powered car, and that’s a relative cakewalk to a cryo-hydrogen Airbus, I think this will be quietly shelved despite the local news spending ten minutes on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I feel like everyone just stopped learning anything about thermodynamics at that university, because their brief was to make airliners still viable when the fossil fuels get too expensive and people notice climate change.

The option for people to not fly so much is not suggested. It’s instead for a university to have trucks of cash shipped to it to finally realise that, actually, hydrogen powering your EasyJet to the Costa del Sol is not realistic.

Given no one has made an even halfway useful and economical hydrogen fuel cell powered car, and that’s a relative cakewalk to a cryo-hydrogen Airbus, I think this will be quietly shelved despite the local news spending ten minutes on it.

"Blue Hydrogen" has become a very popular greenwashing technique in the UK, though, since it creates a CO2 slight of hand where you can say that all the oil and gas you're consuming isn't emitting carbon anymore. You just say you're sequestering or offsetting the emissions of the gas plant that's making the hydrogen, and suddenly that hydrogen (which only exists because of a massive fossil fuel input) is a zero emission fuel.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
people love reading feel good stories about how smart scientists are going to save us all from the collapse that is becoming more and more evident, and journalists get paid proportionally to how many people read their stories. dumb stuff like "nuance" and "factual accuracy" isn't at all important

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

the university as an institution doesn't care, they get their 50% cut of the grant money even if the research topic is silly

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

people love reading feel good stories about how smart scientists are going to save us all from the collapse that is becoming more and more evident, and journalists get paid proportionally to how many people read their stories. dumb stuff like "nuance" and "factual accuracy" isn't at all important

Do people love reading them or is it just a function of our economic propaganda apparatus that they're saturated with them like a carpet bombing campaign to drown out dissent and squash people pointing out that a carbon neutral fracked-gas power plant doesn't exist

e: did anyone actually buy that "clean coal" was a thing? because blue hydrogen is just an iteration of the exact same bullshit idea that you can keep burning fossil fuels but a wizard will appear and stop climate change anyway

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Mar 26, 2024

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Electric cars become a very popular greenwashing technique, though, since it creates a CO2 slight of hand where you can say that all the oil and gas you're consuming isn't emitting carbon anymore. You just say you're sequestering or offsetting the emissions of the gas plant that's making the electricity, and suddenly that electricity (which only exists because of a massive fossil fuel input) is a zero emission fuel.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I mean... yes?

E: id say electric cars are slightly less of a fully outright lie because you could theoretically get the electricity from solar or wind or something (nevermind that those sources are not where we're getting most of our electricity, and nevermind the embodied carbon inputs of the car itself). Blue Hydrogen and Clean Coal are directly aimed at justifying the continued burning of fossil fuels by laundering their emissions. Maybe in some world you could have a solar supply chain for solar-powered electric cars. You can't have a Blue Hydrogen or Clean Coal plant that isn't burning fossil fuels; that's literally what the name means.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Mar 26, 2024

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

My university opened up a hydrogen fuel cell research center in 2005 and as far as I can tell all that ever came from it was enough interest to get the city to buy some fuel cell buses from an unrelated supplier. They now make up a whole 1/3 of the city bus fleet, the rest of which is "clean-burning" propane and CNG

lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

I mean... yes?

E: id say electric cars are slightly less of a fully outright lie because you could theoretically get the electricity from solar or wind or something (nevermind that those sources are not where we're getting most of our electricity, and nevermind the embodied carbon inputs of the car itself). Blue Hydrogen and Clean Coal are directly aimed at justifying the continued burning of fossil fuels by laundering their emissions. Maybe in some world you could have a solar supply chain for solar-powered electric cars. You can't have a Blue Hydrogen or Clean Coal plant that isn't burning fossil fuels; that's literally what the name means.

wasn't a dig at you, just funny how we aren't even trying but instead renaming things to keep driving cars* everywhere

*🌱

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
really starting to think cars was a mistake

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
all cars must be destroyed

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

because people start doing blow at younger and younger ages each generation before hitting up businesses college, so this is the corporate strategy we inherited from one sober but solipsistic piece of poo poo four generations of business grandpa ago and it’s the strategy we will be stuck with forever after as the newer generations of brainrotted wannabe financial illuminati stay too busy sucking andrew tate’s cum through their phone screens to ever come up with an original idea that can’t be found scribbled on the whiteboard of an econ 101 class. if one wants to frame it as an issue of regulatory pressure instead, this same shitpost applies with very few words changed because who do you think owns the regulatory agencies :pepsi:

Not suggesting you don’t think about these things, just avin’ a laff. I think someone would be tempted to refute the above by explaining that fixing problems doesn’t make companies money. Thats paradoxically true in our current paradigm but then again there happens to be a lot of money in not dying.

my theory is that their brains atrophied until they stopped caring about money or dying because the ownership class is all experiencing intense shared delusions

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Degrowth? In my vagina?

jk but no really one of my favorite kinds of arguments is when you tell someone a solution to a problem in human society (consume less, brah)
and they tell you that the free market will correct for it and fix it. Had a best friend do this to me over this exact issue

like my man, if by ‘free market correction’ you mean ‘the physical laws of nature will force us to stop flying’ you are now one hundo percent on board with this idea I have called stop loving flying so much

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

good god the hydrogen poo poo. the aforementioned friend more or less screamed at me for providing even minor pushback in insisting that aviation biofuels and hydrogen fuels are an absolute snake oil of an idea and that he probably shouldn’t invest his money nor feelings of hope into them. this was seen as doomerism, and clearly doomerism is inherently wrong because ick. duder was so cocksure of the fact that my opinion was stupid because he had been an AMT repair man for 6 months and obviously this was his lane now, not mine.

I figured out why he was so obscenely angry with this past interaction when several companies later all but came out and said “yeah our investments into alternative fuels were just tax relief scams lol suck it plebs” and pulled out. turned out he had stuck some money into stuff related to biofuels in hopes of it moonshotting so he could escape being a wagecuck like the rest of us :dumbbravo:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ignore_Me posted:

because people start doing blow at younger and younger ages each generation before hitting up businesses college, so this is the corporate strategy we inherited from one sober but solipsistic piece of poo poo four generations of business grandpa ago and it’s the strategy we will be stuck with forever after as the newer generations of brainrotted wannabe financial illuminati stay too busy sucking andrew tate’s cum through their phone screens to ever come up with an original idea that can’t be found scribbled on the whiteboard of an econ 101 class. if one wants to frame it as an issue of regulatory pressure instead, this same shitpost applies with very few words changed because who do you think owns the regulatory agencies :pepsi:

Not suggesting you don’t think about these things, just avin’ a laff. I think someone would be tempted to refute the above by explaining that fixing problems doesn’t make companies money. Thats paradoxically true in our current paradigm but then again there happens to be a lot of money in not dying.

my theory is that their brains atrophied until they stopped caring about money or dying because the ownership class is all experiencing intense shared delusions

Degrowth? In my vagina?

jk but no really one of my favorite kinds of arguments is when you tell someone a solution to a problem in human society (consume less, brah)
and they tell you that the free market will correct for it and fix it. Had a best friend do this to me over this exact issue

like my man, if by ‘free market correction’ you mean ‘the physical laws of nature will force us to stop flying’ you are now one hundo percent on board with this idea I have called stop loving flying so much

good god the hydrogen poo poo. the aforementioned friend more or less screamed at me for providing even minor pushback in insisting that aviation biofuels and hydrogen fuels are an absolute snake oil of an idea and that he probably shouldn’t invest his money nor feelings of hope into them. this was seen as doomerism, and clearly doomerism is inherently wrong because ick. duder was so cocksure of the fact that my opinion was stupid because he had been an AMT repair man for 6 months and obviously this was his lane now, not mine.

I figured out why he was so obscenely angry with this past interaction when several companies later all but came out and said “yeah our investments into alternative fuels were just tax relief scams lol suck it plebs” and pulled out. turned out he had stuck some money into stuff related to biofuels in hopes of it moonshotting so he could escape being a wagecuck like the rest of us :dumbbravo:

Humans are funny. I shall watch their future with great interest. :imunfunny:

Mr Beef Head
Feb 26, 2017

The Oldest Man posted:

"Blue Hydrogen" has become a very popular greenwashing technique in the UK, though, since it creates a CO2 slight of hand where you can say that all the oil and gas you're consuming isn't emitting carbon anymore. You just say you're sequestering or offsetting the emissions of the gas plant that's making the hydrogen, and suddenly that hydrogen (which only exists because of a massive fossil fuel input) is a zero emission fuel.

This is one of my favorites as well. After the process (steam methane reforming) even the zero emission version that sequesters some of the waste releases more co2 than h2 produced.

Lots of hydrogen in the atmosphere might not be great either
https://phys.org/news/2021-09-percent-atmospheric-hydrogen-years.html
https://acp.copernicus.org/articles/22/9349/2022/
https://acp.copernicus.org/articles/23/13451/2023/

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

*Thinking extra hard*

Have we tried flying planes off cow farts?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ca...1464d8be74.html

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Canada can't murder poor people outta its way to stop this!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

lol yea right, cows aren't birds, moran

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Whoever posted that Energy Trap article, thanks. I enjoyed reading that. It felt like a deep dive into what was otherwise a flippant comment at the very end of that Stuart mcmillen comic about peak oil, "how will we use the oil that is left?"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

Whoever posted that Energy Trap article, thanks. I enjoyed reading that. It felt like a deep dive into what was otherwise a flippant comment at the very end of that Stuart mcmillen comic about peak oil, "how will we use the oil that is left?"

Read the rest of Dr. Murphy’s blog. It’s all good.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lol yea right, cows aren't birds, moran

i know, i know, everything's fine

just like there will always be drinking water for panama as we've been assured instead of flushing it all for shipping

everything's fine :unsmith:

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Great

quote:

More than 4m hours of raw sewage discharges poured into rivers and seas last year, a 129% increase on the previous 12 months, new figures are expected to reveal on Wednesday.

Total discharges from the 14,000 storm overflows owned by English water companies that release untreated sewage into rivers and coastal waters increased by 59% to 477,972, making 2023 the worst year for sewage spills, according to an early estimate of the Environment Agency figures seen by the Guardian.

Senior industry sources were preparing for the government to turn its guns on water companies after the record year of discharges. The Environment Agency said it was setting up a whistleblowing hotline for people who work in the industry to report any activity that concerns them.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Canada can't murder enough* poor people outta its way to stop this but the rcmp report sure seems to imply its going to be their policy to try*!

here you go bubbles I reconfuckulated your post

Nix Panicus posted:

Getting a week's worth of rain in one hour bursts is probably really great for keeping the sewer systems clean, actually

how else you sposed to wash out the mud of the thousand lonely suicides

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Mar 27, 2024

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Getting a week's worth of rain in one hour bursts is probably really great for keeping the sewer systems clean, actually

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ignore_Me posted:

:canada:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ignore_Me posted:

how else you sposed to wash out the mud of the thousand lonely suicides

Can you please stop editing your posts to reply to people who posted after you and just post after them like a normal person.

Or are you posting so fast it's appearing out of sync in the feed?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Microplastics posted:

Wow seems like we should use the remaining fossil fuels we have carefully and cut down on things that are needlessly wasteful. Alternately we could make simply burning all the fossil fuels in itself profitable, maximizing the wastefulness. While we're doing the second thing we can maybe give out some grants, incentivizing AI of course, to figure out which is better

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Stereotype posted:

Wow seems like we should use the remaining fossil fuels we have carefully and cut down on things that are needlessly wasteful. Alternately we could make simply burning all the fossil fuels in itself profitable, maximizing the wastefulness. While we're doing the second thing we can maybe give out some grants, incentivizing AI of course, to figure out which is better

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I want to start job hunting again but with the twist of talking about the future like we post in this thread

I think it will be a real good time (for me, idk about the interviewers)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Car Hater posted:

I want to start job hunting again but with the twist of talking about the future like we post in this thread

I think it will be a real good time (for me, idk about the interviewers)

Where do you see yourself in five years time?

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

starkebn posted:

Can you please stop editing your posts to reply to people who posted after you and just post after them like a normal person.

Or are you posting so fast it's appearing out of sync in the feed?

can’t recall which but I ’ve either been in other forums where that was discouraged so that you don’t have a disproportionate amount of posts from one talkative user on thread pages, or it was discouraged here a long time ago so that’s why I was doing it. the obvious solution is for me to post less

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ignore_Me posted:

the obvious solution is for me to post less

:wrong:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ignore_Me posted:

can’t recall which but I ’ve either been in other forums where that was discouraged so that you don’t have a disproportionate amount of posts from one talkative user on thread pages, or it was discouraged here a long time ago so that’s why I was doing it. the obvious solution is for me to post less

I believe this is wrong.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I believe this is right. :blessed:

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

what do you like to do for fun?

I collect graphs, wanna see?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

MightyBigMinus posted:

what do you like to do for fun?

I collect graphs, wanna see?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Ignore_Me posted:

:justpost: :protarget:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I believe this is right. :blessed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008