Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Till I collapse im spilling these raps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

QuarkJets posted:

Look forward to fox news blaming this on FORNERS

DALI KA DURR

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/iamyesyouareno/status/1772637057883471925

https://twitter.com/AnthonySabatini/status/1772643640843604097

The boat will be trans non-binary by this Wednesday morning.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bolind posted:

My armchair analysis:

The ship knew some minutes ahead of time that they were experiencing power issues, and warned the authorities. The bridge got closed for traffic, initially left-to-right, and, just in the nick of time, right-to-left. The "only" vehicles on the bridge at the time of collapse were emergency vehicles.

This could've gone a lot worse if it had happened during rush hour.

Dang, good call.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

He was literally elected you racist rear end motherfuckers

I am so glad to be off of Twitter today

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Three Olives posted:

The boat will be trans non-binary by this Wednesday morning.

"They called it a 'she' but it was clearly full of seamen"

naem
May 29, 2011

FeculentWizardTits posted:

I hope whoever builds the next bridge at least has the common sense to hang a sign off the side that says IMPORTANT BRIDGE, DO NOT CRASH unlike the yahoos who built the last one

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Maryland Transportation Authority Police Dispatch and Response audio broadcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkjZImSG7j4

They talk about going to get the workers off the bridge once they get some more help.

Soon after, the bridge is down.

"The whole bridge just fell down. Start... start whoever... everybody. The whole bridge just collapsed."

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 26, 2024

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Harbour pilots don’t literally drive the ship it’s still done by the regular crew. Ships do have multiple main power generators and it’s standard practise during manoeuvring to keep multiple on the board in order to avoid blackouts due to one making GBS threads the bed. Your power management system can poo poo the bed anyway and black you out despite this but ships have emergency back up power in the form of battery supply for minor systems and an emergency generator which will come online on a dead switchboard, this takes about a minute and only powers a select amount of emergency systems including one of the 4 steering gear motors.

Full recovery after a blackout involves the engine room restarting numerous systems and pumps and takes time and that’s in ideal circumstances. If the ship blacked out so close to the bridge there is literally almost nothing the crew could have done to stop an accident like this, even if you somehow dropped the anchors or slammed the engine in reverse it ain’t going to stop in that distance.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

biznatchio posted:

"They called it a 'she' but it was clearly full of seamen"
Wow there might finally be a way to end the stupid practice of assigning female gender identity to ships! "If this ship had been a man none of this would have happened"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Can somebody explain the “sex arse” thing?

Fishy Flip posted:

Found some aftermath close-ups.

The emergency vehicle lighting makes these photos eerily pretty :pwn:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sono posted:

Sharks and cargo ships can't get you if you don't go in the water, or they're sand sharks like that movie with Hulk Hogan's daughter. Just build the bridges on land.

Look at this fool who's never heard of a Sharknado.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hazo posted:

Sometimes people buy sex toys to have sex with. In this case it is a small portion of the human body that includes the genitalia, a bit of torso, a butt and a small section of leg.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Hazo posted:

https://twitter.com/thesundaysport/status/1345463645954781184

A really dumb headline from a British rag.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Oh and salty engine room perspective here, a huge amount of the bridge officers I’ve sailed with are completely loving useless and the biggest problem or emergency they have faced in their entire career is the coffee machine not working. Flinty eyed sea officers they are not.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Sometimes people buy sex toys to have sex with. In this case it is a small portion of the human body that includes the genitalia, a bit of torso, a butt and a small section of leg.

"Sex Arse" would be an excellent band name.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Hazo posted:

Introducing the Sunday Sport:

https://twitter.com/AlexEdelman/status/1345747673341517824

https://twitter.com/shaunfrmsctland/status/1375774684617306113

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
They shoulda steered that thing in big circles until it slowed down thats what i would have done

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm amazed they were able to rescue anyone from the collapse. Good news that at least a few people survived.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
excuse me, the classiest amongst us call them "lust bums"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Mr Teatime posted:

Oh and salty engine room perspective here, a huge amount of the bridge officers I’ve sailed with are completely loving useless and the biggest problem or emergency they have faced in their entire career is the coffee machine not working. Flinty eyed sea officers they are not.

How often do they do loss of steering/power outage/fire/etc drills?

I'm guessing not enough/as often as the insurance company requires

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Last Call posted:

They talk about going to get the workers off the bridge once they get some more help.

drat, that guy was lucky not to be a dead hero here.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Hazo posted:

The emergency vehicle lighting makes these photos eerily pretty :pwn:

That poor bridge is trapped in the Unreal Engine!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mr Teatime posted:

Harbour pilots don’t literally drive the ship it’s still done by the regular crew. Ships do have multiple main power generators and it’s standard practise during manoeuvring to keep multiple on the board in order to avoid blackouts due to one making GBS threads the bed. Your power management system can poo poo the bed anyway and black you out despite this but ships have emergency back up power in the form of battery supply for minor systems and an emergency generator which will come online on a dead switchboard, this takes about a minute and only powers a select amount of emergency systems including one of the 4 steering gear motors.

Full recovery after a blackout involves the engine room restarting numerous systems and pumps and takes time and that’s in ideal circumstances. If the ship blacked out so close to the bridge there is literally almost nothing the crew could have done to stop an accident like this, even if you somehow dropped the anchors or slammed the engine in reverse it ain’t going to stop in that distance.

you would think there would be a more robust backup system for a 200m dollar floating apartment complex

but then sex arses would cost an extra 10 cents :capitalism:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Toxic Mental posted:

We used to make poo poo in this country. Build poo poo.

Not like that though!!

Can't believe it took until page 2 to get a Wire reference. All you fucks should be ashamed of yourselves

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Page 1 was too busy being serious and angry about people not being serious.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

excuse me, the classiest amongst us call them "lust bums"

Desire derrières.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Massive bridges are cool and massive boats are cool. I wish they got along.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

AndrewP posted:

The guy in the video above suggested that the ship may have just drifted along its intended course under the main channel of the bridge had they not reversed the engines when it woke back up.

So are you saying wokeness caused this bridge disaster?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

wesleywillis posted:

So are you saying wokeness caused this bridge disaster?

if Trump was president, this wouldn't have happened!

Thanks Obama!

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Maybe the brdige tried to turn the boat trans and the boat was just defending itself from the gay agenda

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I was on the boat! bridge came outta nowhere. insurance will find that the bridge was at fault.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hunter biden's laptop had been smuggled out of dc and had made its way into one of the shipping containers where it was due to be airlifted out by a chinese stealth drone in exchange for a much needed upgrade to joe biden's ai/cgi tv persona. trump's intelligence operatives got wind of this and had positioned themselves on the bridge ready to capture footage of the deal, but a Foreign pilot hired via DEI practices got wind of this from Baltimore's DEI mayor and intentionally crashed the ship, sending the evidence - and joe's new chip - into the water. and now the race is on..

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 26, 2024

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Um the DEI mayor of Baltimore would be white.

I like the mayor, he is chill and always shows up.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

there's literally nothing in that video that's even remarkable except that the mayor is young and black. just a plainly racist tweet

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I didn't understand what was racist about the tweet until I looked up what DEI meant.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kevyn posted:

Massive bridges are cool and massive boats are cool. I wish they got along.

They got along great. They tried to mate.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/l6y9LU0.mp4

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it is a real shame that ship just didn't continue on its path when it first lost power. not sure what caused it to turn but drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol the boat didn't turn until the power was recovered. they probably dropped the anchor/reversed which caused the dovetail effect.

OR it was intentional

the third option: black people???