Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This program sounds awful. Thankfully here in a America life is valued and it would never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Only seeing humans as disposable resources ftw

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the thing is, I don't think the underlying belief is unreasonable. I understand solely thinking about this in terms of Bodily Autonomy, it doesn't surprise me that people feel that way - but it's still a complete failure to consider the ways that this particular policy would intersect with Capitalist considerations.

weird how involving a capitalist state with a vested interest in killing unproductive or dissident people suddenly makes the bodily autonomy component of the equation totally loving irrelevant

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

skooma512 posted:

MAID exists in the US. A quality pistol costs less than an initial psychiatrist appointment. You have the right to either use it on yourself or present it to a police officer who will use his on you.

this is another thing. Depressed and poor people can already kill themselves and already do.

Wtf is the government offering to make it easier and give you a prescription for it supposed to improve?

Oh this guy was gonna kill himself but he's afraid to jump off a building. thank God the government stepped in and gave him a safer and cleaner way. Now he's dead, just like he wanted!!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

you should be able to go to the doctor and get a prescription for money, like they just give you 10k or something

if we treated money as a pharmaceutical and studied its effects on disease in randomized controlled trials at various dosages i guarantee you it would be the most cost-effective drug intervention by Disability Adjusted Life-Year improvement of all time

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The question is adding some qualifications to an issue like...maybe medically assisted suicide for people in unbearable pain and/or are terminal...not with ADHD or Homeless. It seems like it would be straight forward but again it is the world we live in.

Sort of like immigration probably could be thought about reasonably but it isn't going to happen.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Danny LaFever posted:

This program sounds awful. Thankfully here in a America life is valued and it would never happen.

In america killing yourself will result in your estate being fined for disrupting labor

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ardennes posted:

The question is adding some qualifications to an issue like...maybe medically assisted suicide for people in unbearable pain and/or are terminal...not with ADHD or Homeless. It seems like it would be straight forward but again it is the world we live in.

Sort of like immigration probably could be thought about reasonably but it isn't going to happen.

You're correct that it should be easy but then you remember the world is full of people who also see Poor, Not White, and Annoying to Me as terminal diseases

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well....i guess thanks canada for proving that humanity can't trusted with MAiD i suppose?

Humanity can be trusted (probably? gently caress do I know lol this is way beyond me) capitalism can't. That's all

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

It seems like it would be straight forward but again it is the world we live in.

seems pretty straightforward to me tbh, giving a capitalist state more tools to legally remove undesirables is bad regardless of what the tool is purportedly for, because just like police, immigration law, healthcare, or anything else it will immediately be deployed toward that end of removing undesirables rather than its purported goal since that's literally the only "problem" our political economy can solve that isn't Number Go Up Harder

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's neat that Canada sees poor people no differently than my vet sees a rat with an inoperable brain tumor.

You must have the world's most evil and compassionless vet, I've never met one that wants to put pets down

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

i keep looking away then looking back at that name but it's definitely Trudeau Lemmings

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Retromancer posted:

America could never implement a program like that because it would involve government investment in healthcare.

They would just let the private sector handle it.

Looking forward to cleaning out my life savings so that I can afford the deluxe package.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
“Pffft! Kill myself? In THIS economy!?”

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
In America, they'll use life extension modules built into your Amazon Vivosuit to keep you working long past your natural "Retirement" (expiration) date

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Joe Brandon's election night speech will be on the rebuilt bridge after winning.

"You didn't build that bridge"

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
thread title gd

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

That came up in here and I remember a couple of the hosed up guys we have calling me a chud for thinking it was hosed up and for not being supportive of expanding state assisted suicide for any reason.

One of the canada mods swooped in to also affirm that assisted suicide should be available to everyone regardless of reason.

I don't remember that happening.

Ardennes posted:

People with solely mental health issues aren't supposed to be eligible for MAID for another 3 years, because the government decided that the supreme court ordered them to make it happen (whereas it did not explicitly say anything about mental vs physical illnesses) but have perpetually delayed publishing rules or guidelines for mostly obvious reasons. The doctors clearly shouldn't have approved this request as it's described and it's also obvious that an approval system that only requires two doctors willing to say yes without any further review is a bad idea.

e:

https://twitter.com/TrudoLemmens/status/1772393564011438515

???

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Mar 26, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

readingatwork posted:

“Pffft! Kill myself? In THIS economy!?”

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

While Justice Colin Feasby acknowledged the "profound grief" that W.V. would suffer with the death of his child, he ruled the loss of M.V.'s autonomy was more important.

"M.V.'s dignity and right to self-determination outweighs the important matters raised by W.V. and the harm that he will suffer in losing M.V.," wrote Feasby in his 34-page written decision issued Monday.

"Though I find that W.V. has raised serious issues, I conclude that M.V.'s autonomy and dignity interests outweigh competing considerations."

"He says that she is generally healthy and believes that her physical symptoms, to the extent that she has any, result from undiagnosed psychological conditions."

Her only known diagnoses described in court earlier this month are autism and ADHD.

canada.txt

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

CITIZEN, YOU APPEAR TO BE TIRED IN SPITE OF JUST RETURNING FROM YOUR 15 MINUTE BREAK. WOULD YOU CARE TO BE EUTHANIZED?

... Yes please

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. There are a lot of "leftists" who really bang the drums for social issues like this, immigration, or schooling but don't understand those good intentions are paving the road to hell.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
you're not the first canadian mod, and you wont be the last

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Oglethorpe posted:

thread title gd

I try

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
imagine being the third doctor who signed off on the order okaying the tiebreaker to kill a lady and you just thought you were signing another piece of paper in between you and going home for the day lol

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

CITIZEN, YOU APPEAR TO BE TIRED IN SPITE OF JUST RETURNING FROM YOUR 15 MINUTE BREAK. WOULD YOU CARE TO BE EUTHANIZED?

No thank you, Friend Computer, for there are still Commie mutant traitors to protect against!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If We Burn is a pretty good tear-down of how the entire "left-liberal" ideology is a totally artificial sham created by Western elites from whole cloth in order to facilitate capitalist imperialism doing its dirty business by neutering any chance of an ideologically effective opposition

It's specifically about protest movements but I think the same principles apply to pretty much every tenet

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

A superhero that just kills you when you're in trouble

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This is the thing about Canadian law: they treat things they want to do as forces of nature that the courts are just chancing upon the discovery of, because any opposition once they have fait accompli is presented as "what are you going to do, argue with gravity?"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

A superhero that just kills you when you're in trouble

superman flying towards a plummeting lois lane and snapping her neck just in time so she doesn't feel the impact

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Reminder that the ethicist who wrote a paper suggesting we kill the poor works at the Hospital For Sick Children.

Canadian Left-Liberal PMC are the scariest people on the planet, and will say absolutely bone chilling things as long as it is packaged in a culturally appropriate way.

For instance, when native groups pointed out that life on the reserves is so bad they are concerned that MAiD will devastate their communities, you know because of the material conditions, and they were uncomfortable with how it was pushed on them, the decision was made to hire spiritual advisors to develop a culturally appropriate presentation of MAiD that wasn't rooted in white supremacist, Christian conceptions of morality, or whatever the gently caress ever.

As in, they hired someone to talk about the spirits of the four winds or whatever Cree stuff, to make suicide more palatable to Indians, rather than actually make their lives better.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Mar 26, 2024

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's neat that Canada sees poor people no differently than my vet sees a rat with an inoperable brain tumor.

You know how many times health care workers (and by extension veterinarians) see people go down the road of try everything/God will provide and all it ever accomplishes is maybe a couple more months of the most excruciating pain and torture ever and then they die anyway?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://youtu.be/s_4J4uor3JE?si=Emvcr_lv2Oqrnx_q

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

You know how many times health care workers (and by extension veterinarians) see people go down the road of try everything/God will provide and all it ever accomplishes is maybe a couple more months of the most excruciating pain and torture ever and then they die anyway?

Oh boy, here we go

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Oh boy, here we go

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Asproigerosis posted:

Yes.

I'm less sure why that should convince me to turn the homeless into hamburger.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

when I die, throw the body in a dumpster. but until then, I'll be stealing wealth from America through legal loopholes.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Love that documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

illegals welcome lol