Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They got along great. They tried to mate.

I ship it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The channel isn't the entire width of the river. From this map it actually looks like the shallower parts start before you even get to the bridge pilings, so it might've started grounding, depending on how deep the ship is and where the water level was. It's also a tidal estuary, and there were steady winds blowing across the channel at the time.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

smoobles posted:

I ship it

we should forecastle on the tragedy.

there must be aweigh

booo

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 26, 2024

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i would have built the bridge stronger and this wouldn't have happened so hoenstly this seems like a skill issue to me

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
This actually happened because of DEI

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
not a great dei for the captain, I reckon

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

smoobles posted:

lol the boat didn't turn until the power was recovered. they probably dropped the anchor/reversed which caused the dovetail effect.

OR it was intentional

the third option: black people???

pretty sure the scuttlebutt a few hours back was that the turn was indeed caused by them trying to reverse

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Alchemist posted:

not a great dei for the captain, I reckon

Look at me. Look at me.

I'm the capta... Oh poo poo nm you can have this poo poo back

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Everybody, listen to me
And return me my ship
I'm your Capta- oh poo poo never mind

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Fishy Flip posted:

Found some aftermath close-ups.

These shots are eerie and unsettling and kind of beautiful.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

with the rate billionaires have been dying underwater lately, i’m a bit disappointed that one of the world’s living lootcrates wasn’t traversing the bridge at the time of collapse

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dell_Zincht posted:

poo poo

Expect multiple casualties from this.

lol that the very first reply was GBS getting its popcorn bucket and telling others to refill theirs

032624_2
Mar 26, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 26, 2024

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I agree, the structural integrity of the bridge would not have been compromised if there weren't such a mad rush for Discount Elderberry Icecream. Baskin-Robbins has much to answer for, here

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

032624_2 posted:

cumpantry versus bump

keep my name out of your mouth unless you're sending me rent/weed money

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
or i'll make Key Bridge look like a joke

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Fishy Flip posted:

Found some aftermath close-ups.

the dan bell video is gonna be sick

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Didn't notice how low the bow was sitting until I saw this angle. Looks like a large part of the piling fell right on it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Define "largest". Length? Tonnage? Capacity?

Girth

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
So how many of those shipping containers are filled with trafficked humans? 5? 10?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ProperCauldron posted:

So how many of those shipping containers are filled with trafficked humans? 5? 10?

all of them

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
but it's only the arses

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

smoobles posted:

lol the boat didn't turn until the power was recovered. they probably dropped the anchor/reversed which caused the dovetail effect.

OR it was intentional

the third option: black people???

It's that mother fucker Joe Biden.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I actually think the loss of human life and psychological/emotional impacts thereof is more important the the logistical issues with regards to supply chains etc. that are inevitable with an event of this magnitude

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
the danes did it, bloody vikings

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Wizard Master posted:

I actually think the loss of human life and psychological/emotional impacts thereof is more important the the logistical issues with regards to supply chains etc. that are inevitable with an event of this magnitude

I really feel for the road workers and their families in this state right now, just a year ago 6 workers died on the other side of 695 because two idiots couldn’t share the road and decided to go drive 120 mph trying to pass each other directly into a construction zone.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Samir... you're breaking the bridge!!!! You have to listen, Samir!!!!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
‘The Wire’ Creator David Simon Rips Into Baltimore Bridge Conspiracists, Calls Marjorie Taylor Greene A “Complete Submoronic Pratfall Of A Human Being’

https://deadline.com/2024/03/david-simon-marjorie-taylor-greene-baltimore-bridge-1235868804/

David Simon Kicks rear end posted:

In response to one post – which has been restricted to followers – Simon wrote, “There are already video and radio transmissions online suggesting a series of power failures and loss of steering on the vessel. You can certainly speculate wildly and no one can stop you, but doing so doesn’t make you any less the rear end in a top hat here.

Told by one X user that Fox News was speculating over whether migrants or diversity hires played a role in the tragedy, Simon said, “Shitheels, down to the last debased newsroom intern.

When another poster asked, “Isn’t it possible that this was a deliberate terrorist attack rather than a tragic accident?,” Simon retorted, “It’s possible that you’re a useless shitheel rando on an internet hellsite speculating wildly and without regard to what is already known by authorities in Baltimore. Quick, have someone fund your podcast. You’ll go far.

To a poster who called Baltimore a “mismanaged, failed state,” Simon offered a well-worded correction: “The port is a state-run entity and nothing whatsoever to do with Baltimore municipal government, you absolute submoron.

To Anthony Sabatini, the former Florida congressman who wrote “DEI did this” – referring to diversity, equity and inclusion – Simon took no prisoners. “Your mother did you, but after a hard life of service on a truck-stop lot, can we really hold her loosened, battered womb responsible for dropping you head-first on the Winnebago floor and burdening our society with another empty, racist demagogue thereafter? We cannot.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

‘The Wire’ Creator David Simon Rips Into Baltimore Bridge Conspiracists, Calls Marjorie Taylor Greene A “Complete Submoronic Pratfall Of A Human Being’

https://deadline.com/2024/03/david-simon-marjorie-taylor-greene-baltimore-bridge-1235868804/

:lol:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If you're going to get federal funding for the new bridge, then at least do it right. Hold a bridge designing contest where elementary school kids can send in their drawings.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

GolfHole posted:

Igtr

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

BoldFace posted:

If you're going to get federal funding for the new bridge, then at least do it right. Hold a bridge designing contest where elementary school kids can send in their drawings.

World's largest popsicle stick bridge.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Bridgey McBridgeface

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just add this span as a scenario in one of those bridge building simulator games on steam that train nerds play when they take a break from train sims

then just hire a construction company to build whichever design is at the top of the leaderboard

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The span could easily be covered by a cable-stayed or suspension bridge, and really you could put the pilings far enough out so any ship would run aground before it hit the bridge, or even all the way out on land. Main span was about 1/4 mile, with the truss section as a whole 1/2 mile, and the entire part of the bridge over the water was just over 1 mile.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Hearing local corporate training companies have made huge donations of dried spaghetti and marshmallows for the rebuilding effort.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

GolfHole posted:

Triple caution!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's that mother fucker Joe Biden.

There’s nothing these hateful smoothbrained morons can’t turn into a bizarre and lazy attack on the president

(This is a former cop who was heavily featured on the first seasons of LivePD until she got fired from the force and went onto do onlyfans. Honestly would be a respectable career swerve if she wasn’t such a piece of poo poo)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Collapsed bridges are how new bridges get built

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Vegetable posted:

Collapsed bridges are how new bridges get built

You have to fertilize the bay floor with bridge to make sure a new bridge grows back. It’s nature.