Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

fuckin ziggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Vegetable posted:

Collapsed bridges are how new bridges get built

At the Ships and the Bridges talk.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

‘The Wire’ Creator David Simon Rips Into Baltimore Bridge Conspiracists, Calls Marjorie Taylor Greene A “Complete Submoronic Pratfall Of A Human Being’

https://deadline.com/2024/03/david-simon-marjorie-taylor-greene-baltimore-bridge-1235868804/

:lol: they sent a poet.
https://x.com/aodespair/status/1772689623770165396?s=46&t=qkLqegFdEqINeFeUz_b8fw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GolfHole posted:

everybody trying to figure out how to prevent a 95000 ton ship from destroying anything it hits are cute

CIWS goes brrrrrrrrrrtttt

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Vampire Panties posted:

you would think there would be a more robust backup system for a 200m dollar floating apartment complex

but then sex arses would cost an extra 10 cents :capitalism:

Pretty much every about cargo shipping is ruthless margin optimization and insurance tolerances. The best example of this is piracy. It’s significantly cheaper to pay the occasional ransom or for insurance to bail out some containers or a ship than do anything about piracy. Real guns and security increases operations costs, training, and insurance.

The same goes for any better process or technology. If it is not better financially at scale, nothing is changing.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

GolfHole posted:

everybody trying to figure out how to prevent a 95000 ton ship from destroying anything it hits are cute

Well it's that or the boats will take out everything!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

GolfHole posted:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, NYTimes managed to dig up this expert.

quote:

In some bridges, engineers may elect, instead of fendering, “the alternative of making the pier exceptionally strong,” said Shankar Nair, a structural engineer with over half a century of experience who is a member of the National Academy of Engineering. But the visual evidence so far, he and others said, suggested that the pier was simply not strong enough to survive the collision.

The structure’s apparent vulnerability left some engineers dumbfounded.

“This is a huge shock,” Dr. Nair said. “A bridge of that size and importance should not collapse when hit by an errant vessel.”

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
This of all been prevented if they had just built a taller bridge that the ships could of used to go over the other bridge.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Build the bridge at sea level. Then build a ship elevator with a fun slide for the ship to go back down.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

‘The Wire’ Creator David Simon Rips Into Baltimore Bridge Conspiracists, Calls Marjorie Taylor Greene A “Complete Submoronic Pratfall Of A Human Being’

What does John Waters have to say about this?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BoldFace posted:

If you're going to get federal funding for the new bridge, then at least do it right. Hold a bridge designing contest where elementary school kids can send in their drawings.

Maybe a naming contest? Get this: bridgey mcbridgeface

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

God drat this seals it mothman is fake as hell. :mad:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Build the bridge at sea level. Then build a ship elevator with a fun slide for the ship to go back down.

So this but for 1000-foot, 200,000 ton container ships.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think I got second degree burns from this incineration.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

smackfu posted:

They have a lot of experience finding that tenth dentist.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Why tf did they build the bridge on the water, where the boats are??? What did they expect would Happen???

No way to avoid this, says only place (the water) where this happens.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Nah could of just kept the original one where was, than have the boat bridge taller and just Fitzcarraldo'ed the boats over.

Would of been good exercise for the crews!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Lmao imagine blaming this on foreign crew, you’d have a stroke if you saw the condition of the average American flagged and crewed ship. It’s absolutely appalling what the coastguard waves through for the home team while being complete fascists with everyone else.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wonder if /how they can get those containers off the ship and not dropping them all in the ocean.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

redshirt posted:

I wonder if /how they can get those containers off the ship and not dropping them all in the ocean.
Tow it back to the port and unload them?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
It's Baltimore. Just leave the ship parked and everything of value will be gone by morning.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

biznatchio posted:

It's Baltimore. Just leave the ship parked and everything of value will be gone by morning.

I bought this rudder straight cash I don’t have to answer for poo poo. $12,000 on Facebook marketplace must pick up.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Who ever invented ships has some explaining to do

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

biznatchio posted:

A guy I was walking past tried to sell me a nautilus machine with the weight plates scattered all over the sidewalk in fells point

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm not on twitter, but facebook has been a surprising lack of conspiracy posts about this. In fact, I haven't seen a single one as yet. I'm hoping to use it as an excuse to prompte my "its to take your attention away from Kate Middleton's body TRIPLE" rumor.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

redshirt posted:

These type of cargo ships are stacked so high that it's acceptable for some containers to fall overboard. Ever see footage of one in a storm? poo poo, it's probably a spillage scheme tax write off like every other business arrangement on earth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr Teatime posted:

Lmao imagine blaming this on foreign crew, you’d have a stroke if you saw the condition of the average American flagged and crewed ship. It’s absolutely appalling what the coastguard waves through for the home team while being complete fascists with everyone else.

But have you considered we could implement one of these two solutions:

a) American ports only accept American boats
b) All boats are crewed exclusively by Americans

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://deadline.com/2024/03/david-simon-marjorie-taylor-greene-baltimore-bridge-1235868804/

David Simon rules

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ProperCauldron posted:

These type of cargo ships are stacked so high that it's acceptable for some containers to fall overboard. Ever see footage of one in a storm? poo poo, it's probably a spillage scheme tax write off like every other business arrangement on earth.

Merpeople need sex assess too!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

But have you considered we could implement one of these two solutions:

a) American ports only accept American boats
b) All boats are crewed exclusively by Americans

Jones act means you’re already halfway there. A ship taking cargo between two America ports needs to be American owned and crewed, it’s a hugely protected industry.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

smackfu posted:

It was like 45 billion newtons of energy, loving " errant ship" like it's a little dinghy

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

500excf type r posted:

It was like 45 billion newtons of energy, loving " errant ship" like it's a little dinghy

I’m fairly sure it woke me up and I’m a couple highway exits from the bridge.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Are Bridge Collisions Real Hahahaha Freighter Just Turn Away From The Pylons Like Freighter Shut Your Engines Off Haha

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Mr Teatime posted:

Jones act means you’re already halfway there. A ship taking cargo between two America ports needs to be American owned and crewed, it’s a hugely protected industry.

Hence why (IIRC) all the cruise ships operating between Alaska and Washington make a quick stop in Canada.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kevyn posted:

When informed of the collapse, one local congressman stated, “sheeeeeeeiiiit.”

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I've been wondering if perhaps the second power loss may have been a desperate attempt to "re-boot" a system that had come back on line badly after the first recovery. It really seems to start veering when they re-gain power the first time, and the second power loss doesn't seem as total as the first

Do we know what sort of propulsion the Dali uses? Is it one or more screws mounted conventionally on a shaft with steering from a rudder... or dose it use steerable electric pods powered by generators?

Could the first recovery have bought those pods back on line asymmetrically or have kicked their direction out of centre?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

none of you are considering boat-sized slingshots for some reason

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cumpantry posted:

none of you are considering boat-sized slingshots for some reason

Not sure there's any giant big enough that we're looking at getting rid of that would require a cagro ship sized projectile to take down.

Tallest person in the world at the moment is apparently 251 cm, so like a regular sized slingshot and rock would probably do if they went on a rampage or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cable Guy posted:

It really seems to start veering when they re-gain power the first time

It's been pointed out earlier with internet ship telemetry that the "veering" isn't as big as it looks like from that shot, it's a camera angle thing.

But yes they were probably trying to restart the engines ASAP and bypassing all the normal procedures for an engine failure, which is why the second power loss.