Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

cuntman.net posted:

does anyone know where to find a doctor to identify a potion, the apothecary isnt helping

If its for the church quest you have to go all the way to the checkpoint town

neosloth fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

cuntman.net posted:

does anyone know where to find a doctor to identify a potion, the apothecary isnt helping

Have you tried talking to the questgiver about it? He directs you to the doctor in checkpoint rest town. The doctor lives in the house just down the hill from the snobby sorceror dude

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

Assuming this is the correct quest, the sick man who originally started the quest should tell you where to go, or alternatively it's Jerome? in the checkpoint rest town (his house is right next to the mages house on the top of the hill)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The whining about fast travel is very silly. I'm the exact sort of person who normally abuses fast travel, and I haven't had any issues at all.

My only concern is whether sources of Ferrystones dry up in the late game, but for now I get them frequently enough that I always have one when I need one.

Nemo2342 posted:

Just some random thoughts:

1) Plunder on my Thief pawn has been a lot of fun. Yeah it's mostly garbage (and the random silver ore) but I'm easily amused at the other pawns going "hell yeah, nice work stealing".

One of my current rift pawns is a Thief with Plunder, and it actually kinda owns on a pawn. Pretty decent source of materials (particularly stuff like the sticks I want for arrow crafting).

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Volte posted:

I don't find lock-on would be that useful because for smaller groups enemies don't last long enough and you don't necessarily stay focused on a single enemy. For bigger enemies, even in Dark Souls locking on sucks for that.

This is where I landed after about 20 hours of playing a thief. Might be different for Warrior since they have a bunch of charge attacks. You're just so rarely, if ever, fighting two large mobs at a time where there is any benefit to tracking or target switching. Just keep Skull Splitting the ogre/cyclops until it dies then switch over to the drake/griffin. Usually the griffin will be faffing about and not actually attacking while it's waiting for its turn to die.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The whining about fast travel is very silly. I'm the exact sort of person who normally abuses fast travel, and I haven't had any issues at all.

My only concern is whether sources of Ferrystones dry up in the late game, but for now I get them frequently enough that I always have one when I need one.

Nah, past a point you'll drown in em.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I do wish there was more infighting between enemy types. I've had a griffon jump in while I'm fighting a drake and get ripped to shreds to give me some breathing room, which was cool, but I've never seen goblins and saurians throwing down.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Question about the sorcerer miester skills: I already gave a complete set of grimoires to the rear end in a top hat who only talks to you if you have the noble clothes on in Checkpoint Rest Town before learning about the child living with her grandma deep in the forest north of Melve. Is there another set of books around? I've explored pretty much all of the "human" areas now (haven't gone over the border or into the forest to the north). I also remember some lady at the hidden village offering to trade a book but I had no spare copies of what she wanted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

neosloth posted:

If its for the church quest you have to go all the way to the checkpoint town

:what:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Once I’ve outleveled trash enemies to the point that they feel like trash I just view them more like a fun size candy bar of discipline points

I guess you gotta have something easy to get past early discipline ranks of a new vocation too, although I always wished there was just a vocation rank floor or something like reaching rank 8/9 with your first vocation would rank the rest to 2/3

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Broose posted:

Question about the sorcerer miester skills: I already gave a complete set of grimoires to the rear end in a top hat who only talks to you if you have the noble clothes on in Checkpoint Rest Town before learning about the child living with her grandma deep in the forest north of Melve. Is there another set of books around? I've explored pretty much all of the "human" areas now (haven't gone over the border or into the forest to the north). I also remember some lady at the hidden village offering to trade a book but I had no spare copies of what she wanted.

There's second copies of some of the items you're looking for. Also you don't need to make a full delivery, I managed to get the rewards I wanted from the first quest with just 3 items plus a gift afterwards for the extra favor boost

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

My bad
i figured its ok to leave cause you do get a quest marker for it and the npc tells you where to go. Spoilered it

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Moving between locales definitely sucks because of the frequent but more importantly static nature of the trash mobs. When you move between the capital and the fishing village it’s the exact same packs of goblins interspersed with harpies at the exact same points every time because the packs respawn after a day or so. The various ogres and cyclops spawn off the road in the same spots as well and are also always the same type and tier.

This is even more obvious in my NG+ because I keep all my gear and levels but the world doesn’t scale so the mobs die instantly, even the big monsters, and they drop the same basic tier items. The world is much less interesting and it would have benefitted from making the mobs harder.

Paradoxically it’s also harder to explore organically because the entire map starts revealed, even places I didn’t go in the first playthrough. So I can’t tell where I’ve been in this run.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

AcidCat posted:

Yeah it would be nice if there were more enemies in that space between either Giant Dude With Five Healthbars or Group of Minor Inconveniences Your Pawns Can Handle.

It’s funny bc as has been pointed out, trash mobs serve an intentional function (tenderizing you for the next mini-boss), but it doesn’t necessarily feel any better than like, an endurance system that just automatically dings you over time.

Speaking of, the health system makes me think of another game with a very very similar conceit, but which saw far fewer white knights defending the trash mobs necessary for it to function — naturally I speak of the first Pillars of Eternity.

Like DD2, it tried to rein in marathon dungeon delving by imposing an economy on health and recovery; like DD2, your capacity to function slowly drained the longer you went without resting, and it implemented a few measures to ensure you couldn’t just rest spam, Baldur’s Gate-style, to keep yourself in top shape for every encounter.

Like DD2’s system, it was interesting! Unlike DD2’s system, players hated it and by and large they didn’t see its point.

If there’s something DD2 probably has going for it that PoE didn’t, it’s the way that time’s passage plugs into various other systems, adding dimension to the resting mechanic — if you’re only concerned with topping off your health, it becomes pretty negligible. But if you only have two far-apart resting spots between you and the objective, and you can only rest once before the objective timer runs out, then it becomes a weighty decision to freshen early or power through to the farther resting opportunity despite waning resources.

Of course I still maintain that the way level design has devolved to serve this system is bad, but it’s clearly intentional and achieves what it’s going for!

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Yeah having static spawns was one of my biggest issues with dd1 its a bummer they didn’t fix it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In all seriousness, where would “dynamic” spawns appear? There’s only so much valley road to populate. Or is it just enough to have a given spawn spot have goblins one day, nothing the next, a benign guard patrol the next, and bandits the next after that?

More importantly, how am I going to make sense of this world’s political economy if the populations change from day to day?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Elden Ring had static mobs but they worked. You know why? You could handily avoid them if you had the mind to do so.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They could have simply made each pack roll from a table of encounter types and scale at various levels. So you might get goblins the first time through, on the way back it’s some rock salamanders or just a ground of travellers camping by the roadside with a merchant.

They could also scale this with your level so if you’re level 40 then sometimes you’ll get a pack of succubi or even a dire ogre.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I feel like a dynamic encounters system would either result in something dumb like a cyclops appearing in a valley it doesn't fit in, or something terrifying like a minotaur appearing in a valley it just barely fits in. It'd be nice if I couldn't tell you the exact placement of goblins and wolves on the road between Vernworth and the elf city, but on the other hand that's also a trip you only end up taking so many times (and I've probably also done it a few more times than most people would in a typical play-through).

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I mean the cyclops barely fits in the mine carts but it still goes in them

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

I dont expect it to find random spots to place enemies in but just having the same spawn locations rotate different enemy/npc types would go a long way. I wouldn't want level scaling unless it's tied to a story even tho

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

neosloth posted:

My bad
i figured its ok to leave cause you do get a quest marker for it and the npc tells you where to go. Spoilered it

That was more of "How would you figure that out" thing. I thought I was being smart by remembering the girl you help in Melve and talking to her dad but that wasn't the solution. How would I know to go there?!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Moving between locales definitely sucks because of the frequent but more importantly static nature of the trash mobs. When you move between the capital and the fishing village it’s the exact same packs of goblins interspersed with harpies at the exact same points every time because the packs respawn after a day or so. The various ogres and cyclops spawn off the road in the same spots as well and are also always the same type and tier.

This is even more obvious in my NG+ because I keep all my gear and levels but the world doesn’t scale so the mobs die instantly, even the big monsters, and they drop the same basic tier items. The world is much less interesting and it would have benefitted from making the mobs harder.

Paradoxically it’s also harder to explore organically because the entire map starts revealed, even places I didn’t go in the first playthrough. So I can’t tell where I’ve been in this run.

This is where I'm at (minus NG+ which I haven't gotten to yet). Maybe if they upped the respawn timer it wouldn't feel so samey, but then again with camping/inns/waiting for oxcarts, time just naturally moves forward. Randomized (to an extent) spawns might help, I don't know. I also think the difficulty could be adjusted - I consider myself fairly average but the game has been almost too easy so far. At the same time, having to do really hard fights every 10 feet would also get tiresome - it's a bunch of knobs that would need to be tuned at the same time for it to make sense.

One piece of advice I might give for people just starting out is, it's fun exploring for the first time, but I would recommend trying to follow quests (whether they be side or main quests) where possible. It's easy to get distracted and end up half a continent away but then you are going to have to suffer through a bunch of traversal through places you've been to already when you actually have to go there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dragon’s Dogma’s fixed spawns loving suck and honestly it loving sucks fighting the same 3 things over and over. But what loving sucks the most is how long it takes to chop ogres/etc to death

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Enemies definitely stopped being a threat really early on. I've been doing every side quest so I'm sure I'm over leveled for the part of the world I'm in, but I don't even think about night or day anymore, I just charge out into the wilderness do to whatever quest I have because who cares. don't even bother with a lantern since I'm just sticking on the path 95% of the time anyway, and its not like suddenly stumbling into melee range with a skeleton is really a threat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Leal posted:

That was more of "How would you figure that out" thing. I thought I was being smart by remembering the girl you help in Melve and talking to her dad but that wasn't the solution. How would I know to go there?!

That's the beauty of DD, any time you get stuck you can just hire a pawn that already knows what to do.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Yeah I think between the pawns and the oracle figuring out what to do isn't too bad. But some of the quests are obtuse and I'd just look them up.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Speaking of living worlds, has anyone determined whether there’s an amount of grinding between oxcart locales that meaningfully affects the odds you’ll be waylaid? I want to say the game suggests there is, but I’m skeptical. It feels like a prank on players who don’t want to walk.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

You can just buy Ferrystones for 10k a pop at pretty much every apothecary. They'll have just one in stock, but I'm pretty sure they respawn after a day (?) so you can just rest to get more.

Remember, don't get scammed by the Ferristone guy

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
I followed a beggar into a house and ended up locked inside. Spent 15 minutes fighting the wall and scaring the neighbors until a guard materialized in front of me to check on the disturbance. I tossed him at the door and he promptly arrested me, taking me to a much more escapable prison.

Game rules 10/10

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Speaking of living worlds, has anyone determined whether there’s an amount of grinding between oxcart locales that meaningfully affects the odds you’ll be waylaid? I want to say the game suggests there is, but I’m skeptical. It feels like a prank on players who don’t want to walk.

Honestly, I think it's just like a flat chance you get ambushed and it just picks a random spot with a random group of enemies. Got ambushed by a ogre in a tight canyon on the way to Melve who promptly also got ambushed by a griffon as well mid-fight and the jerk could barely fit in the area. I was around level 25-30 and was just exploring the map. Needless to say I was walking to rest of the way, but they paid with their lives for inconveniencing me.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I obviously don't know if it's actually the case, but I thought it was suspicious that it popped up for her and no one else. If it turns out not to be true, please let us know, then we can safely ignore that pop-up.

So far looks like everything's fine a few hours later, entirely possible she had it and gave it away, or the pop up wasn't meant for her or whatever. She should be safe to use again!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Ytlaya posted:

One of my current rift pawns is a Thief with Plunder, and it actually kinda owns on a pawn. Pretty decent source of materials (particularly stuff like the sticks I want for arrow crafting).

Hell, I'm sitting on about 10 of them in my storage. It seems the shop keeps that carry them also restock.

But I also hardly ever use them too. So that may be why I have such an abundance.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

If you set up a pawn quest with a reward that you only have one of, does that mean the first person completing my quest gets it and no one else or does everyone who takes them out get it?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was in the east side of Vermund and I saw 3 meteors/astroids coming down waaaay to the west/south west. Any know what these could be? Think it's the first time I've ever noticed any meteors. I'm lvl 34.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

someone's pawn casting meteon maybe

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Mustang posted:

I was in the east side of Vermund and I saw 3 meteors/astroids coming down waaaay to the west/south west. Any know what these could be? Think it's the first time I've ever noticed any meteors. I'm lvl 34.

Probably a drake getting into a fight

edit: or a wandering sorceror pawn but I'd be surprised if a solo pawn could get off a full cast

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't mind the mob density because hitting buttons and killing tings feels good

Also if dp gains work like last game you're getting more from those goblins and harpies than you are ogres or chimera

I'm also going to say if you're having problems with cyclops fights taking too long that's on your tactics or gear. They're the Goomba of big monsters.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have to say Archer shits out damage like nothing else but the actual playstyle is a little dull. Going to max out Fighter next and start slashin poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Switching away from sorc to mystic spear makes me really miss levitate when exploring. The spear jump doesn't always do what I want it to