Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Blockhouse posted:

I'm also going to say if you're having problems with cyclops fights taking too long that's on your tactics or gear. They're the Goomba of big monsters.

I got ambushed by one when I was an archer, I think the whole fight lasted like 15 seconds. Multiple explosive shots to the eye tends to kill them quick

So has anyone maxed trickster yet? I'm wondering if it gets better.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but without the proper terrain I feel kinda useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I have requested a forgery of an Elite Camping Kit be made and it appears to have simply duplicated the item. Talk about convincing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zodack posted:

I have requested a forgery of an Elite Camping Kit be made and it appears to have simply duplicated the item. Talk about convincing

it really should just be, like, a cardboard cutout of a tent if you try to camp with it

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Perhaps someone can answer a midgame question for me: I found a place called Frontier Shrine. Isn't this where the Sphinx is supposed to be? Big open area, five locked chests with glowy gems on them, pedestal in the middle to stand on. There's nothing and no one here. Is this not the correct location?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Geomancing posted:

Perhaps someone can answer a midgame question for me: I found a place called Frontier Shrine. Isn't this where the Sphinx is supposed to be? Big open area, five locked chests with glowy gems on them, pedestal in the middle to stand on. There's nothing and no one here. Is this not the correct location?

That's the 2nd location. You need to find her at the 1st location, which is northwest of Misty Marshes

edit: fixed location

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 27, 2024

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I went back to Melve and whoops! there was a dragon attack, and some guy who just randomly unlocked the Mystic spearman vocation?? Well whatever! I switched to it and it feels fun, even though I don't have any other skills than the basic ones yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Draven posted:

So has anyone maxed trickster yet? I'm wondering if it gets better.

George Sex - REAL posted:

Some more trickster talk, I played mage and sorcerer to ten. Thief to 4. I then played trickster to ten and have spent the most time on Trickster.

Trickster, more than any class it seems, needs to hit 3 to do really anything. Seems like a design error, because people might get the specialty say "What the gently caress is this. I'm not doing anything and can't do anything" and just move on.

What makes the class viable, or the most obvious component of it, is its buff to pawn damage that comes at level 3 and is strengthened at level 5. Without it, your party damage will noticeably drop. Aromatic Rally is your compensation. It feels powerful. It needs to scale and I'm not sure if it does. People online have said it scales off magic, which would make sense. Trickster, though often your contributions are harder to feel, can seemingly do as much damage as any other class just from this one ability.

The rest of the class core involves drawing aggro and running your ghost around. Then, when you get it, using your maister skill to cause chaos to groups and to eventually knockdown larger enemies.

Every other ability seems kind of like a gimmick. Illusory walls/floors require preparation and will make encounters longer and more fraught. There's an ability that focuses on seeing enemies through walls, which is as useless as it sounds. There's even an upgrade.

Most trickster abilities are kind of bordering on useless or require too much from the player to make work. There seems to be exactly three good abilities with two edge cases in espial incense and latching effigy.

I'm 50/50 on it. Thinking it's fun/interesting, but also wanting more from it, wanting it to feel less obtuse.

Also, crucially, it's the one magic class with no mobility skills. For how much running around you do on this class, nothing in it helps you with that. That to me is the biggest bummer with it. Let me fly like mage/sorceror or switch places with my ghost. Seems like there had to be a switch places with ghost ability at one point.

EDIT: Mechanically I think it's actually very powerful, but it's a class that's limited in variety. Every build, I'm sure, will use the exact same 4 abilities. It's also pretty obtuse.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 27, 2024

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just finished leveling up Trickster and I think it is really powerful as long as you don't need to hit a certain part of an enemy or want to kill things as fast as possible. You can easily take all the agro and super charge your pawns and just let them wear down any enemies while you bounce your illusion around. I thought the ability to put your illusion on an enemy would be good, but it just results in it getting destoyed and you pulling all the agro. The AOE agro move you first get and the pawn buff are the only moves I needed and everything else felt too gimmicky. Not the most exciting way to play, but something about it was weirdly compelling.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
spearhand bubble spam seems like it's just better than trickster outside of looney toons poo poo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

can cyclops perma despawn? i’ve killed the one closest to vern-city a few times and now the fucker isn’t respawning despite me camping for many days nearby

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Was traveling to the Volcanic Isle and pretty early on a couple of my pawns and a minotaur all go off a cliff together. For the rest of the fairly long and dangerous journey, I was left with only myself and drowmagewife, who does not remotely look anything like a drow but was at least a mage.

I've gotta say, 2manning it through all of that was a lot more compelling than doing it with a full party. DD is at its best when you're struggling, but normally these games are easy enough that it doesn't tend to happen much. Definitely gonna do an arisen + main pawn only playthrough at some point, maybe with some increased difficulty mods as well.

CharlestonJew posted:

I have to say Archer shits out damage like nothing else but the actual playstyle is a little dull. Going to max out Fighter next and start slashin poo poo

Archer and to a lesser extent Thief feel gutted by the split from Strider. Both would feel much more complete and fun if they had the ol' bow + dagger combo with 6 skills. I also really dislike how the new Deathly Arrow and Powder Charge work compared to the originals.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 27, 2024

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I decided to do a side quest instead of mainline stuff in Batthal which meant taking a circuitous route across half the region, through a bandit camp and a fairly large dungeon-ish area, multiple monster fights, and a big cave network. I ended up finding and completing a few side quests on the way and unlocking a vocation and its master skill. After I did the side quest I originally set out for I realized I forgot to put my port crystal down back in the capital city. I hoofed it back fighting more monsters all the way until a cyclops smacked my whole party into the brine. I killed the cyclops solo and then had to backtrack to the nearest riftstone, which was dedicated to meme/cosplay pawns. I got my main pawn back and hired Jack from Mass Effect and Grog Strongjaw from Vox Machina. Then we went back to the capital on the pulley system which I hadn't used up to that point.

Probably the most distilled 4-5 hours of Dragon's Dogma I could ask for. Game owns.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 27, 2024

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Saraiguma posted:

spearhand bubble spam seems like it's just better than trickster outside of looney toons poo poo

It’s probably is, but having to refresh it in the middle of combat was a burden when I wanted to be stabbing fools or throwing magic bullets.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sloober, good call on heading southwest from Bakbattahl. I finally found a handful of Succubi. Unfortunately it was 10% Succubi and 90% garbage-tier Gore Harpies, so I only ended up getting 2 Spurious Wings, and I need 6 in total.

Now to hunt down a Warg for his Pointed Fang.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ethiser posted:

It’s probably is, but having to refresh it in the middle of combat was a burden when I wanted to be stabbing fools or throwing magic bullets.

I dropped it bc it's broken enough to make the game unfun but apparently the mage buff extender applies to bubble

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Question about post-game/ending for those that have done it: (Edit: SPOILERS obviously)I missed out on one of the quests where one of the researchers asked me to meet him at the volcanic island, because I didn't know it was "timed", and the red mist ate that part of the map. Did I miss out on anything major there? The quest text said something about "subverting the will of fate" or something, IIRC.

Ethiser posted:

I just finished leveling up Trickster and I think it is really powerful as long as you don't need to hit a certain part of an enemy or want to kill things as fast as possible. You can easily take all the agro and super charge your pawns and just let them wear down any enemies while you bounce your illusion around. I thought the ability to put your illusion on an enemy would be good, but it just results in it getting destoyed and you pulling all the agro. The AOE agro move you first get and the pawn buff are the only moves I needed and everything else felt too gimmicky. Not the most exciting way to play, but something about it was weirdly compelling.

Welp, I got some bad news about most lategame bosses/minibosses

Edit:

There really is no way to just start a new game at all, is there? Except local/cloud save shenanigans

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 27, 2024

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zodack posted:

he's a master of his craft.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I would love to know what happens if you try to turn in forged glasses to the guy requesting them.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

If you set up a pawn quest with a reward that you only have one of, does that mean the first person completing my quest gets it and no one else or does everyone who takes the pawn out get it?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I got the quest to go fight a griffin so the sculptor guy could look at it, but then randomly outside of Batahl I was attacked by a field griffin which I clung onto and it took me back to its nest where I killed it, before seeing on the map that yeah this is the one the guy wanted to visit.

Ran down the hill and found him expecting a, "Sorry I already killed it," option but he just wanted to run in and the game obliged. I guess they were a mated pair?

Also are you screwed on Myrddin if you've already given all the tomes to his daughter or are there duplicates around? I guess I could've forged them - I already forged one to give to the woman in the nameless village but I wasn't expecting anyone else to want copies.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
has anyone found a use for harpy smoke?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

do you/your pawn need to be in the specific vocation to get the skill from the vocation master?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saraiguma posted:

has anyone found a use for harpy smoke?

Yeah, theres a few chests and such that you can grab on to a harpy to reach. You might be able to just use a helper to boost leap to some of them though

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

cuntman.net posted:

do you/your pawn need to be in the specific vocation to get the skill from the vocation master?

Nope, I've gotten a few maister scrolls not being in that target vocation.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cuntman.net posted:

Not to get the scroll, no. But you have to switch to the right vocation to use it, funny enough

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

oh ok, i have mystic spearhand maxed but sigurd isnt giving me anything, i guess theres something else going on here

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cuntman.net posted:

oh ok, i have mystic spearhand maxed but sigurd isnt giving me anything, i guess theres something else going on here

He has a quest you need to do later to get it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lol at players actively making one of the Sphinx riddles obnoxious by making dozens of pawns named Sphinxparent and giving them high rankings, so it's hard as poo poo to find the actual pawn you need to hire.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

cuntman.net posted:

It's one of those things that makes perfect sense in hindsight but is not really telegraphed at all. Why did he make the Vocation? Where do most people first find him?

You need to kill that dragon he fought in Melve. It's in the forest to the southwest of the desert, at the Dragonsbreath Tower. Or at least I think that's where it was.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Thundarr posted:

Lol at players actively making one of the Sphinx riddles obnoxious by making dozens of pawns named Sphinxparent and giving them high rankings, so it's hard as poo poo to find the actual pawn you need to hire.

You can use any of those lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shyrka posted:

I got the quest to go fight a griffin so the sculptor guy could look at it, but then randomly outside of Batahl I was attacked by a field griffin which I clung onto and it took me back to its nest where I killed it, before seeing on the map that yeah this is the one the guy wanted to visit.

Ran down the hill and found him expecting a, "Sorry I already killed it," option but he just wanted to run in and the game obliged. I guess they were a mated pair?

Also are you screwed on Myrddin if you've already given all the tomes to his daughter or are there duplicates around? I guess I could've forged them - I already forged one to give to the woman in the nameless village but I wasn't expecting anyone else to want copies.

The good news is you can make copies and IIRC you can give them out via pawn quests. I intend to hand some out once my current quest finishes.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, theres a few chests and such that you can grab on to a harpy to reach. You might be able to just use a helper to boost leap to some of them though

Oh that probably explains how I'm supposed to do some things, like reach that high up ladder leading to a cave. I've just been throwing pawns or using jump skills to weirdly climb my way places I shouldn't be.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Thundarr posted:

Ah, I was just wondering if all of those were some pop culture reference I didn't get

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Thundarr posted:

I don't know if you can just use those ones or not but if you need to you can switch to offline mode then use the riftstone feature to find pawns with special names and you'll get the actual capcom one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Extortionist posted:

I don't know if you can just use those ones or not but if you need to you can switch to offline mode then use the riftstone feature to find pawns with special names and you'll get the actual capcom one.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Still kinda funny that there's so many.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Walk all the way to the Bayside Shrine, realize I didn't bring any Wyrmlife Crystals with me. Classic Dragon's Dogma moment :discourse:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

can i not give flowers to or romance the warrior maister guy? we're obviously in love

Where is this guy

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
So uh, anybody knows how to let the skeleton lord or whatever open the door in the Ancestral Chamber? He's just bugging and running and shielding for me, but never attacking. He also have a poo poo load of health.

e: Apparently, you can use the Trickster vocation to create an effigy and make the skeleton attack that from the other side? Unfortunately I haven't unlocked that class yet, so I can't verify.

Lamare fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 27, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
How thin should I expect the content to be once I get to Battahl? Is there still a good amount of exploring antics to be had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Captain Oblivious posted:

How thin should I expect the content to be once I get to Battahl? Is there still a good amount of exploring antics to be had?

Seems like a pretty massive area to me but I've also still left like 30% of Vermund unexplored probably. Idk how much story or side content there is but so far it's had some of my favorite exploration moments in the game.

All these spoilered sphinx posts make me realize I should set aside time to find her. I'll assume the story you hear in the beggar quest is accurate as to roughly where she is.