Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

i had been cruising through QB with a "enhance/boost all the things" swarm deck but am giving a midgardsormr+replace/destroy deck a go and goddamn it's fun and stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What's a chuuni

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
The world is not ready for the actual pronunciation of cait sith

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's funny is that Cait Sith is pronounced more correctly in Japanese: ケット・シー, or Ketto Shii

Blockhouse posted:

Absolutely done to get out in front of complaining English-speaking fans considering it's pronounced the right way in every other voice track

Plus if they're calling him "Cait" for short, that sounds better pronounced like "Kate" than it does pronounced "Kett."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

My favorite QB player was Dale. Good ol' Dale, I'm glad I was able to make his day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like the guy in Cosmo Canyon who speaks in sign language, quite possibly the only sane Queen's Blood player in the entire world

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

What's funny is that Cait Sith is pronounced more correctly in Japanese: ケット・シー, or Ketto Shii

Plus if they're calling him "Cait" for short, that sounds better pronounced like "Kate" than it does pronounced "Kett."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRY9GxTYrz8

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's Day 3 of being stuck on Rulers of the Outer Worlds. Problem is round 4. I never did figure out what most of his stuff actually did back in Normal because Normal never (usually) really requires that much scrutiny so now when it comes back suddenly with no error margin as part of a boss marathon it's very Feels Bad. Oh well, at least they're not going to introduce a completely new gimmick in round 5! That would really suck.

Round 3 is also in only somewhat of a stable shape right now. It just seems like sometimes, more or less at random, something will go wrong which doesn't end the fight but puts you in enough of a tailspin that it becomes unrecoverable. It doesn't help that Odin is highly mobile and hogs the camera while Alexander likes to fire stuff you're supposed to watch carefully.

It's very funny having Fire Elemental on everyone though. Makes round 1 nice and breezy at least.

It's also very funny to have Limit Siphon on one guy and Limit Support on someone else.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

There is straight up no way I’m getting A rank on “Two Legs? Nothing’ To It”. This is absolutely hellish. I somehow got 16530 and then every attempt since has gone to absolute poo poo as soon as the easy starting bit is over. This isn’t the only thing that will keep me from platinum but it definitely will keep me from it lol.

E: bitching online works again I just got 18200 after that post lmao. Never doing that again.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 26, 2024

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So I know that Ch 12 sidequest is currently bugged, but is it safe to just go ahead and finish the game and then come back to it later or does it cause any weird issues with progress?

Wamsutta posted:

There is straight up no way I’m getting A rank on “Two Legs? Nothing’ To It”. This is absolutely hellish. I somehow got 16530 and then every attempt since has gone to absolute poo poo as soon as the easy starting bit is over. This isn’t the only thing that will keep me from platinum but it definitely will keep me from it lol.

Two things I have heard helped people with this: turning off the audio and, weirdly enough, increasing the speed to 2/5. A lot of the piano arrangements are jazzy renditions that really don't match up very well with the actual notes you're playing.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 26, 2024

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So I know that Ch 12 sidequest is currently bugged, but is it safe to just go ahead and finish the game and then come back to it later or does it cause any weird issues with progress?

The current bug with that specific quest aside, there's no problem with finishing the game and keeping your side quest progress during postgame chapter select.
In fact if you plan on doing Hard mode stuff, it might be a bit more convenient anyway to wait and do that final quest on Hard to get its character manuscript from your first clear of it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harrow posted:

They should call him Cat

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Is there any reward for getting an A on the battle music piano track?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What's a chuuni
It's a really wonderful word from Japanese that seems to be untranslatable despite how incredibly recognizable what it's describing is so I guess it's gotta be a loanword.

The full word in Japanese is chuunibyou. It means "eighth grade syndrome" and it describes a very specific sort of delusion of grandeur; someone who's gotten obsessed with what a 12 year old would think is cool and doesn't have the excuse of being a 12 year old anymore. The stereotypical anime example is a high schooler who gives themself a grandiloquent fake name and wears an eyepatch over a perfectly good eye and/or wraps an arm in bandages to "contain their demonic power". For a Western version, think that guy who thought watching Chronicles of Riddick made him a badass or the "I studied the blade" guy.

Like I said, there's no direct translation, but "tryhard", "weeabo", and "cringe" are all circling around it with some overlap.

Anyway that's why Vincent is chuuni as gently caress, the way he puts himself into a coffin he absolutely doesn't need even though it muffles what he's saying, because he thinks it looks cool, or the way he poses all dramatically and demands you prove yourself to a device he has absolutely no loving idea how to operate.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

They pronounce it exactly as it's spelled :confused:

It's Gaelic, so that's how you know they are wrong.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So now actual internet guides are lying to me about the last round of Rulers of the Outer Worlds? The guide I see recommended says he uses a "melee" version of Shadowy Chains which is "easily dodged", offering no other commentary. The actual melee version of Shadowy Chains involves the mfer teleporting to the controlled character and then hitting in a wide circle around him that seems to be larger than the available dodge radius, rinse and repeat until game over. Also, in six times in a row, that was also the only version I saw used. What is going on and can anyone who has actually beaten this stupid mission advise on what you're actually supposed to do about this move, and what else might have been glossed over? I am extremely no longer in the mood for surprises.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZiegeDame posted:

Is there any reward for getting an A on the battle music piano track?

Don’t think so, just the first 6 tracks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

So now actual internet guides are lying to me about the last round of Rulers of the Outer Worlds? The guide I see recommended says he uses a "melee" version of Shadowy Chains which is "easily dodged", offering no other commentary. The actual melee version of Shadowy Chains involves the mfer teleporting to the controlled character and then hitting in a wide circle around him that seems to be larger than the available dodge radius, rinse and repeat until game over. Also, in six times in a row, that was also the only version I saw used. What is going on and can anyone who has actually beaten this stupid mission advise on what you're actually supposed to do about this move, and what else might have been glossed over? I am extremely no longer in the mood for surprises.

Honestly the answer to the first part is Magnify-Barrier on everyone, and just make sure to keep enough ATB/stock your ATB Boost Materia until post his big attack, then just heal and reapply Barrier. As long as Barrier is up you take perfectly survivable damage and once he enters his second phase you've already won because it is a lot easier (And if you were using Elemental -> Fire on armor then it's effectively a free win as long as you win before he element-changes.)

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You can also copy this person's strat to just obliterate the fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPnQYPHg-AU

ATB go brrrrrr

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I have heard legends about combining Brumal Form and ATB Ward and maybe if this goes on for too much longer I'll look into disrespecting this mission as much as its creator disrespects video games. In the meantime I do already have Barret in the team and a magnify Barrier on hand so let's see if we can just tank through it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it could be but there are plenty of examples of stories that use that meta stuff as as stealth sequels, from Valkyrie Profile: SIlmeria to Scott Pilgrim Strikes Back, which is why people are assuming it might be something here.

Yet another evangelion influence on ff7

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My favorite completely random reference was Yuffie declaring that they were going to start a team called the Yuffie Recon Patrol, or YRP for short.

”YRP in position. It’s showtime, girls!”

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

I have heard legends about combining Brumal Form and ATB Ward and maybe if this goes on for too much longer I'll look into disrespecting this mission as much as its creator disrespects video games. In the meantime I do already have Barret in the team and a magnify Barrier on hand so let's see if we can just tank through it.

You also need the Speed Demon's Keychain accessory but yeah that seems like a strong strat. There's also one around combining Limit Siphon and Aerith's Lvl 3 Limit break for infinite Limit

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly the answer to the first part is Magnify-Barrier on everyone, and just make sure to keep enough ATB/stock your ATB Boost Materia until post his big attack, then just heal and reapply Barrier. As long as Barrier is up you take perfectly survivable damage and once he enters his second phase you've already won because it is a lot easier (And if you were using Elemental -> Fire on armor then it's effectively a free win as long as you win before he element-changes.)

Toolbox Barret with prayer, Phoenix and barrier all is my king for every encounter.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Fedule posted:

I cheesed it with this strat. Go to the YouTube vid that other dude posted, that creator has a vid that’s like 10 minutes with Yuffie, Aerith, and Tifa, that’s the one I mostly followed (except I had Aerith with a Spectral Cog or whatever, raises her limit when she uses MP attacks which is how you get the bosses into the loop in the first place anyway). Took several tries to get lucky enough to get the strat going on the last round, but each attempt was maybe 5 minutes instead of 30 so I really didn’t care that much if it failed. My final time when I was successful was 5:51.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Shinra Manor is every bit as dogshit as this thread indicated. What is this box throwing garbage? I can’t hit this pipe for anything. Just non stop airballs

This badly needs an accessibility option to bypass (maybe there is one and I just didn’t see it) I can picture a lot of people physically not able to do this with either the touch pad or the joystick. That’s not the case for me I’m just bad but drat.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 27, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wamsutta posted:

Shinra Manor is every bit as dogshit as this thread indicated. What is this box throwing garbage? I can’t hit this pipe for anything. Just non stop airballs

Turn off the stupid touch pad system and use the buttons

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wamsutta posted:

This badly needs an accessibility option to bypass (maybe there is one and I just didn’t see it) I can picture a lot of people physically not able to do this with either the touch pad or the joystick. That’s not the case for me I’m just bad but drat.

For the first section with the rotating funnel I had to stand on the box on the right to consistently throw high enough

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’m sure I’ll get through it but I shut it off for the day. There’s just no end to the mini games this game throws at you. At this point I just want it to be done. I’m ready to play something else.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
You know what would cheer you up?
More minigames

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't find the boxes that annoying, I just used the press square to throw system. When it rolled out the multiple box thing at the end I just went lol and waited for it to end.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

JBP posted:

I didn't find the boxes that annoying, I just used the press square to throw system. When it rolled out the multiple box thing at the end I just went lol and waited for it to end.

i think i hit 2 boxes at most. if that had been more than just a bonus game i would have been upset

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

goethe.cx posted:

i think i hit 2 boxes at most. if that had been more than just a bonus game i would have been upset

You do need to hit 10 or more boxes for the platinum trophy

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hitting the 10 boxes at the end is part of Johnny's Treasure Trove, and it and Brutal+Legendary combat sims are the last 2 things I'm missing lol.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The boxes at the end are much easier than the chute or the pipe from earlier

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I liked that you were rewarded with having to suffer throwing boxes (assuming we're talking about the same part) with an entire room of a billion boxes that you can just roll through them like Dark Souls and I could do that all day

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

RatHat posted:

You do need to hit 10 or more boxes for the platinum trophy

oh, well i wrote off getting platinum in this game long ago, gently caress that noise

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can someone explain Distant Tremors to me? The one with two Savage Greenhorns. These fuckers are incredibly resilient to physical damage and I can barely even scratch them with Fira. Their gimmick loving sucks, too, I hate how they can just randomly bind a member of your party. I managed to get all three stuck because you have to loving stagger them to get the bind off and that is a massive pain in the rear end.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

Can someone explain Distant Tremors to me? The one with two Savage Greenhorns. These fuckers are incredibly resilient to physical damage and I can barely even scratch them with Fira. Their gimmick loving sucks, too, I hate how they can just randomly bind a member of your party. I managed to get all three stuck because you have to loving stagger them to get the bind off and that is a massive pain in the rear end.

Don’t hit them when they’re guarding except for an ability. I find that Firebolt Blade breaks their guard every time and hits their Fire weakness. Then focused strike them until they are staggered.

Unless Cloud gets trapped, in which case :shrug:

Edit: is there a finite amount of Pirate Jetsam in the ocean?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
On, technically, the fourth straight day of trying I finally beat Rulers of the Outer Worlds. It was the fourth time reaching the last round. I also won despite notably having a kind of boredom induced brainfart and on noticing the mfer switch to fire focus mode decided to hit him with fully charged fiery banishment. But I had enough bullshit in the tank to damage race him at that point. Have to review the video to be sure but I think the last synergy command hit him moments before he was gonna launch a spell that would've killed Cloud and Barret. Sometimes this game really is Like Dark Souls.

Jokes aside this being a multiround combat sim marathon is a terrible gameplay conceit and turns a lot of neat bosses into an ultimately miserable experience. This structure cannot sustain this level of difficulty. This amount of time (the gimmick strategy excepted) cannot sustain this level of probability of failure. Just. Just let me fight the bosses normally. They're barely even any more difficult for being consecutive, other than the fact that you might end up starting with up to 50% less MP. The only real consideration in play because of the structure is that you have to do one build for all the fights, which is the closest you get to an interesting exercise here. Shame you don't get to know what you're up against until you reach it! gently caress you, player engaging earnestly! Go look it up. Also, there's just too many of these drat things.

Funny thing is, Greg ended up being pretty reasonable in the end. Overall probably the most reliable win once i got the first win, other than Phoenix and Kujata which is practically a freebie with so much fire absorption. Tihamut and Alexodin were prone to throwing in the occasional cheap shot when things weren't going perfectly (I swear, I swear, sometimes characters just forget commands if you switch away after inputting one. I am now certain it cannot always be due to being interrupted). But Greg was fair.

I do see the theory. I do. I have come away knowing more about how these fights work than I came in with and probably could repeat the clear. It's just. They made it painful, they made it more of an imposition than games which do a more graceful job of inspiring you to learn this kind of thing. I don't know exactly what alternative structure I would propose to try and get the same effect without the marathon format - some scheme, something like but not exactly a score/time attack, which exists to encourage repeat plays of an encounter for people who want to do that, without having those encounters be a thing you have to struggle through on the way to retry the thing you actually feel like you're there to retry and only achieving any level of mastery grudgingly. Game design is hard.

(It is rather baffling that the combat sim doesn't include a custom training room, given that it does include a generic encounter with I think literally every enemy except plot bosses. I feel like people would love this feature; load up your party and build and practice your bullshit on invincible enemies. That and loadouts)

Anyway! Only the legendary sims left! I am given to understand they occupy a wide range of bullshit tiers. Some are even reasonable, I have heard it whispered!