Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’ve heard from authoritative sources that I can just foresee me winning each 50/50. I will manifest Archeron and her LC and break my bad luck train. It’s so easy it just has to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even if you fail, you'll create a parallel universe where you succeeded, so all you have to do is transfer your consciousness over to that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If they offered people a deal where you could pull exactly the average number of pulls to get each character, and it would average out to getting the same number of 4 stars and Standard banner characters and everything too, would you take it, or do you like the thrill of the gambling aspect? I've pulled way better than average, but I think I'd take the deal as long as it wasn't retroactive.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I honestly hate gambling, I never do anything in a gacha game unless I have enough saved resources to guarantee the exact results. I know this sounds strange, but.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gambling is sin!!!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mycot posted:

I honestly hate gambling, I never do anything in a gacha game unless I have enough saved resources to guarantee the exact results. I know this sounds strange, but.

From an avoiding temptation to buy packs perspective that's probably a safe call. I'm sure they get a ton of purchases from people who miss the 50/50, only had the tickets to get them that far, and feel committed at that point to going the rest of the way.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

If they offered people a deal where you could pull exactly the average number of pulls to get each character, and it would average out to getting the same number of 4 stars and Standard banner characters and everything too, would you take it, or do you like the thrill of the gambling aspect? I've pulled way better than average, but I think I'd take the deal as long as it wasn't retroactive.

I would take the non-gambling version. I think the current version makes people make bad decisions with their wallets because of sunk-cost fallacy. At least with the other way, you know exactly what getting a character is going to cost you. Although I can see some people making the argument for the current system because they set a hard limit on how many pulls they're willing to use on any particular banner, and they still want the chance to get the character they want within those many pulls.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

From an avoiding temptation to buy packs perspective that's probably a safe call. I'm sure they get a ton of purchases from people who miss the 50/50, only had the tickets to get them that far, and feel committed at that point to going the rest of the way.

The entire system is designed to put things just out of reach so you are tempted to spend, interact with it on your own terms.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, I already interact with the system as if it were just guarantees with a chance of getting lucky, so making it the average of that would simply reduce the space between guarantees (with no chance of getting lucky). Which is strictly better for planning.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

These games very much rely on the impulse people have to throw down money when losing the swing. Don’t fall for it if you don’t wait for an absolute guarantee.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

mycot posted:

I don't mind gambling in general but I take this exact mentality when it comes to gacha games because otherwise, yeah, it's too easy to convince oneself to spend to make up for bad luck.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I feel personally attacked

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't feel much sunk cost in this game because everything carries over to the next banner. There's nothing wrong with saving up a guarantee. I've had a guaranteed banner LC saved up since Kafka.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The hard pity system actually encourages this.

“I’ve already sunk $200 trying to get this character, but the game says I’m guaranteed to get it in the next $75, so I might as well go all-in!”

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I plan my pulls for the next immediate patch as if I'd lose my 50/50s, but if I already have reserves and can plan for the long run, I do plan for slightly below average luck and not assume I will lose 50/50s and go to pity every time. Like an average of 120. As long as I don't turn out to be the unluckiest person in the world it should work out.

That said I was actually a bit tempted to get the double top up bonus as a buffer for extreme bad luck. But unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I'd just upgraded my PC so I'm in a more frugal mood right now

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

qbert posted:

For Swarm Disaster and Gold & Gears, you really have to exploit the mechanics of the modes. You can't really brute force your way through it no matter how good your teams are. The good thing is that there are some genuinely busted strats that people have come up with that can make them WAY easier even at the higher difficulties. Personally, I just focused on getting the Self-Modeling Resins and left it at that, as the really hard rewards aren't amazing or anything.

For G&G, one of the most popular/most busted methods to beating it is the "Capitalism" method.

I have found both Swam Disaster and Gold & Gears to be really annoying in that they take simultaneously too long or they are over instantly. I haven't sunk much time into them but they weren't that fun for me. I'll give the capitalism method a try. Capitalism, ho!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I know it's dumb but I probably prefer gacha mechanics to everything being smoothed out. Part of why I enjoy these games (and I've only played this and Genshin to be fair) is that I feel a lot of other games these days are generally too fast to progress through and have very little friction of any sort. Playing these games as basically Welkin/maybe battlepass only you have to make long term resource allocation plans. I like feeling like there's an at least slightly meaningful difference between spending 1500 resin between to farm new relics for character A or grind out parts to ascend/level up traces for character B. I guess you don't need gacha mechanics to do that but if it felt completely smoothed out I think it'd lose a bit of appeal, even if it's almost objectively better for society or whatever.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've never minded spending in the game, but the only times I've spent more than the BP and welkin were for Argenti’s and Ratio's lightcones. Each time, it was only about an extra $20, and I don't regret it, though I admit it's a bit absurd.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

If I knew the exact pull that would give the 5* I could pull for 4* characters on banners where I don't want the 5*. Also I have below average luck so I'd be better off.

But also the randomness is kind of fun, and I'd probably not enjoy pulling as much without it. I already assume I'll have to go to soft pity, so it's a nice surprise to get something early.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

where Acheron

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Meowywitch posted:

where Acheron

She got lost and ended up in a different game

https://twitter.com/mhunter_45/status/1772413559747629293

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Anno posted:

I know it's dumb but I probably prefer gacha mechanics to everything being smoothed out. Part of why I enjoy these games (and I've only played this and Genshin to be fair) is that I feel a lot of other games these days are generally too fast to progress through and have very little friction of any sort. Playing these games as basically Welkin/maybe battlepass only you have to make long term resource allocation plans. I like feeling like there's an at least slightly meaningful difference between spending 1500 resin between to farm new relics for character A or grind out parts to ascend/level up traces for character B. I guess you don't need gacha mechanics to do that but if it felt completely smoothed out I think it'd lose a bit of appeal, even if it's almost objectively better for society or whatever.

The main issue with gacha mechanics especially with respect to Star Rail is that many characters don't feel feature complete until they have their signature lightcone. After that, most new characters get increasingly busted as you add more Eidolons to them. There's a dramatic disincentive to invest money into making your fav stronger because there is no content for you to blow up with all that power.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm always surprised how much people worry about light cones and eidolons when it's objectively not necessary to clear the existing content, and knowing that even if they couldn't clear a few stages of MoC without it, that still wouldn't even remotely justify the jade expenditure of extra eidolons. I get wanting to have characters just to have them, but paying to max them out in a game with a relatively low difficulty ceiling is just odd to me. Not talking about $20 or anything, I mean people dropping hundreds on a single character. I guess some people just don't care about money/have enough that it doesn't matter, but it seems like such a worthless investment to me.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Eej posted:

The main issue with gacha mechanics especially with respect to Star Rail is that many characters don't feel feature complete until they have their signature lightcone. After that, most new characters get increasingly busted as you add more Eidolons to them. There's a dramatic disincentive to invest money into making your fav stronger because there is no content for you to blow up with all that power.

I'm still early in HSR but yeah, judging by Genshin I believe that for sure. I think it's weird that there aren't more incentives to push your characters. Though also that's probably good in the grand scheme of things?

idk I think the ideal outcome is that you're able to pass all the content in the game with a mid-ish level of investment and anything more than that is just because you want to do it faster/more efficiently or just see how high you can make numbers go for your favorite characters.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Well that's 5 for 5 hitting the 50/50, and I got her well before pity. Guess I'm better off with the gambling this patch.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

disappointing rolls

Almost hit hard pity to get Acheron, lost 50/50 on her LC

the only consolation is I now have s6 GNSW, so S5 for Acheron and a spare (and a guarantee on a future LC)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Even if you fail, you'll create a parallel universe where you succeeded, so all you have to do is transfer your consciousness over to that.
Ah, generalizing the quantum bogosort algorithm, I see.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Excelzior posted:

disappointing rolls

Almost hit hard pity to get Acheron, lost 50/50 on her LC

the only consolation is I now have s6 GNSW, so S5 for Acheron and a spare (and a guarantee on a future LC)

It's actually losing the 75/25 on her LC, which smarts even more

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's funny how :effort: Luocha's trial is compared to Acheron's.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

33 pulls for 1 Gallagher. I'm content and saving my pity for Boothill.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eej posted:

It's actually losing the 75/25 on her LC, which smarts even more

thank you for reminding me :shepicide:

VVV ahh so THAT's where all my luck went

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 27, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Archon in 40 and her LC in 10. Thank you RNG gods.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Huh.

I had 60 tickets, with gems for more...

I spent 10 tickets and got 5* Clara...

I spent 10 more and got Acheron...

Now what?

E: I got her LC after 10 tickets now, someone help.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Literally the first thing Aventurine says to you this patch is, "friend."

How was I getting tempted to pull for Acheron, who has never given me 10, 000 credits, instead of 5 time friendship mentioner Aventurine? Ridiculous.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Acheron and LC got.

Finished out Pela Eidolons and got E1 on Gallagher which is cool.

Something I somehow missed in the presentations on her is Acheron's Ult is a new keypress for each phase.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Y'all took my luck. For the second time now I got to 82 pulls before hitting Luocha. Along the way I got *three* OG Dan eidolons, now up to E5.

In good news I guess I didn't have Pela or (obv) Gallagher and I got them both to E2.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I got Acheron's LC twice literally back to back touching on the draw screen so I guess Welt's walking stick is gonna hit like a tactical nuke once I grind up a better Pioneer set for him.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

E2 Welt as the nihility fakeout spoiler. Got Acheron but it took long enough I've nixed going for any eidolons this patch. I'll throw everything else at her LC and see how it goes.

Got up to E4 Gallagher and E4&5 Xueyi which is great since I had terrible luck on her last banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

game asking me to pick players for a baseball team, clara is an option, and im like 'does svarog come too'