Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Blitzer would probably be fine if it just had the same rapid fire mechanic arc thrower has.

As it is the low RoF really makes you feel how random it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Sindai posted:

Blitzer would probably be fine if it just had the same rapid fire mechanic arc thrower has.

As it is the low RoF really makes you feel how random it is.

The caveat being it's a primary and not a support weapon so it's always available as either a backup to your support weapon or your go to.

I like it against bots; one shots grunts and stagger-slides berserkers. It does take llike 4-7 shots but you never reload or run out of ammo so it kinda works.

-

Has anyone else tried running without a support weapon and just using what you find in the field?

Had a blitz run with only 3 slots so decide to do an eagle run, found an MG with no extra mags from the one it had and it was just so fun using it in place of whatever. This game

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 27, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Spear has started acquiring targets today. They started putting targeting computers in these things (mostly).

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I love the random support weapon drops, I get to try everything out before hitting 25 or whatever. The grenade launcher was amazing impact kills against the walker bots, although the bouncing caused a team kill or two.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Amazing Member posted:

I like it against bots; one shots grunts and stagger-slides berserkers. It does take llike 4-7 shots but you never reload or run out of ammo so it kinda works.

I tried out the blitzer against bugs and it took two shots to kill even the tiniest of bugs and felt like it wasn't even beginning to tickle anything larger, stalkers and every other medium didn't even notice it. And half the time it just didn't target the tiny bugs in front of me so it frequently took more than two shots to clear out a two or three fleas. So that felt extra extra bad.

Might have to give it a shot against bots, haven't even tried that. It seems like it doesn't have any range though, maybe blitzer + senator?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I sometimes bring only EATs as support against bugs and use whatever else I find.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

FunkyFjord posted:

Might have to give it a shot against bots, haven't even tried that. It seems like it doesn't have any range though, maybe blitzer + senator?

Definitely take something ranged for your support, maybe AC or laser cannon? I definitely felt hindered with targets outside of medium range with my stratagems on CD, but when I get berserker rushed or jump packed I can rely on the shotgun taser. Note: it won't pen scout walkers, but I run stun grenades in those cases so I can flank, though you can also use normal nades or impacts, your pref.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Section Z posted:

The AMR is bullying me. Every time I call it down tonight, the gun is on the opposite side of the drop pod. Why. Why does this bother me so much :saddowns:
It's actually just always on the opposite side of where you call it, for some reason.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Eagle smoke strats are rad. It's really handy on bot worlds to just choose not to get blasted by rocket snipers. Kind of an undervalued pick.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the host orders me to take off my mortar sentry and I have cluster bomb equipped underneath it. everyone on the super destroyer groans at my poo poo

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

LazyMaybe posted:

It's actually just always on the opposite side of where you call it, for some reason.
Every other weapon drops with it facing towards you (well, technically facing the direction you threw it from) so it's mildly infuriating that the AMR is the opposite lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

causticBeet posted:

I appreciate the limitation. I think it helps keep what in reality is a pretty limited set of biomes and environments feeling fresh. If you freely could play any biome at any time people would just hit equilibrium on whatever the least offensive combo of terrain weather and negative effect is and you would end up losing out on variety in the long haul. Being stuck playing on some shithole fire tornado planet or whatever for a few sessions adds contrast when you move on to the next type and get some new scenery.

:yeah:
Having one less Strategem or longer Strategem calldown time (or both) sucks rear end but at the same time it IS a challenge and sometimes I want that poo poo. And if not? There's always another faction, another planet to play on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Stratagem limits and fuckwiths are good as hell and if you don't like them you're a bug

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Did they stealth nerf the orbital laser or stealth buff the bile titans perhaps? I swear the orbital rail cannon strike and laser have been my go toos for killing Titans but i saw one at full health take an entire orbital laser today and my precious rail canon strike doesn't always one shot them anymore!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I don't mind the concept of negative enemy operation modifiers, I just wish they were buffs for the enemy side instead of making your stuff shittier. Give me a modifier that causes all terminals to call in drops constantly until completed, or one that doubles the size/number of enemy outposts on the map to the point that you can't drop anywhere without an "Enemy Presence" warning.

e: "Heavy Fortifications" - All bot outposts have at least one cannon turret, regardless of their size. Do the same for bug nests but with shriekers.

Darox fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 27, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Owl Inspector posted:

the host orders me to take off my mortar sentry and I have cluster bomb equipped underneath it. everyone on the super destroyer groans at my poo poo

turning a big dial taht says "mm of Orbital barrage ordinance" on it and constantly looking back at the pubbies for approval like a contestant on the price is right

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I want a mission that is just a terminid hive that goes on for the entire map. Basically blitz but you're in the poo poo from stat to finish and the only forward is kill and destroy.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

You have so many bullets you can just saw their legs off. Same with Stalkers.

I'm starting to become a big fan of the jetpack so you can jump up to a vantage point and get a different angle on the armored guys too.

Stalwart and Jetpack is such a fun combo for bugs. I take the Slugger shotgun as my Primary when I do this, and I switch to it whenever Brood Commanders or Spewers show up, and they die with just a couple of slugs to the face, saving a lot of Stalwart ammo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Amazing Member posted:

The caveat being it's a primary and not a support weapon so it's always available as either a backup to your support weapon or your go to.

-

Has anyone else tried running without a support weapon and just using what you find in the field?

Had a blitz run with only 3 slots so decide to do an eagle run, found an MG with no extra mags from the one it had and it was just so fun using it in place of whatever. This game

I've found not taking a Support Weapon to be more frustrating than having an extra slot free for other Stratagems to be worth it, as it tends towards with Bots to make dealing with the plethora of medium tier enemies they have an absolute pain, and with Bugs it can result in escalation problems as you're either lacking in a fast horde clear option and/or are unable to meaningfully deal with Chargers and Bile Titans(and even Brood Commanders can become a problem if you're out of grenades or waiting out cooldowns for one of your other Stratagems), not to mention you paradoxically become arguably more ammo/supply hungry not having a Support Weapon than with since you'll be burning through your regular ammo and grenade supplies more and it also means a higher risk of injury or death since you'll be killing enemies more slowly

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The orbital laser was never very good at killing bug heavies, it takes a very long time if they’re at full health. It’s much better against bots and bug trash.

Railcannon was never a one shot from full health unless it was angled precisely to hit the head.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
^^That's all true, but it is fun to have an empty slot to fill with random support weapon drops from POIs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

started a suicide mission alone. Threw an sos. it got bad fast. Everyone came in and left lol. One guy snapped at me saying "Never do 7 alone again" and left lol

its a game you bitch.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Tried out the Blitzer again on some bot 5s. It's still bad imo. I feel like what it's actually lacking is fire rate.

You can totally zap basic bots in one shot and sometimes that'll be two bots in a single shot. It has less targeting problems than the arc thrower but it still has targeting problems if there's even the slightest bit of terrain in the way. I never saw it arc to more than one enemy at a time, I feel like it should just be a cone of lighting and hit anything inside that cone, that's the only thing that would make up for it's slow fire rate. As it is it's just a little too anemic. I got chased by like three berserkers for over a minute because it took 4 or 5 hits to take one down and it keep hitting different bots and frequently wouldn't arc to a second target even though they were right next to and behind each other the entire time. It could even have slightly shorter range if it just hit everything in front of you all the time, but it doesn't and it's slow as hell.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If the arcing works anything like the Arc Thrower than you want to aim a bit higher than you would think you would need to, that reduces(if not completely eliminates) the arc hitting random bits of terrain or corpses

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

causticBeet posted:

I appreciate the limitation. I think it helps keep what in reality is a pretty limited set of biomes and environments feeling fresh. If you freely could play any biome at any time people would just hit equilibrium on whatever the least offensive combo of terrain weather and negative effect is and you would end up losing out on variety in the long haul. Being stuck playing on some shithole fire tornado planet or whatever for a few sessions adds contrast when you move on to the next type and get some new scenery.

I agree with the idea that the orders should encourage people to try things outside their comfort zone and I'm not arguing to be able to make progress just by spamming missions on easy planets. I know it's a bit tired to keep comparing this game to Deep Rock, but there you'll be funneled through various biomes and mission types on each assignment (and can interrupt them at any time to do a random modifier mission somewhere else if you want). The longest single run you will end up doing in a given biome are on Deep Dives which are 3 missions each and by the end of them you can feel kind of done with that environment.

I see what you mean that having to play Crimsica for several hours will make Hellmire seem fresh, but I'd argue another way to keep things feeling fresh is to change often (and for them to add more biomes, which I'm sure they intend to do).

So yeah, I agree it wouldn't be ideal if people were always picking one easy location, but I think diversity could be encouraged with a more rapid rotation or if campaign sets planet hopped. The worst instance of the current system for me was when the only 'valid' planet to fight bots on was Draupnir, for what felt like more than a week. I grew to hate that place and all biomes that resemble it in a way I wouldn't have if the game had taken me on a whistle stop tour instead. It's just a personal preference thing, and arguably a me problem for having too much time to play.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 27, 2024

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

I think once another front or two opens up we'll see some more weird planets and variety

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
So happy they fixed the Arc bug, so yesterday I could zap all the bugs again.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Lore fiends: someone in my discord asked a question I find myself unable to answer.

When we call reinforcements, is the new Helldiver supposed to be a different person or the same one that just died, perhaps cloned or something?

I'm sure this must have been addressed in the lore somewhere right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I do think in retrospect they probably should have started us off much closer to Super Earth, like maybe only one or two map segments besides Super Earth's own in its control with the entirety of the rest of the galaxy in either Automaton or Terminid control rather than the situation that we did have at launch where the bugs had just six sectors and the bots only a single sector and both only had two worlds each accessible

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Lore fiends: someone in my discord asked a question I find myself unable to answer.

When we call reinforcements, is the new Helldiver supposed to be a different person or the same one that just died, perhaps cloned or something?

It's a new person, fresh out of cryo. The average lifespan of a helldiver after completing training (and not counting being frozen) is about 2 minutes.

So yes, you're occasionally playing as some poor rear end in a top hat who's first deployment after training is "run 20 feet to the pelican to go right back up".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Officially it's supposed to be a new person each time(hence why the default voice option is set to random), but its kept vague enough in terms of direct in game acknowledgement that one can choose to headcanon the clone approach(and it wouldn't surprise me one iota if Super Earth has dabbled in cloning anyways) which kind of makes more sense with the game's personalization options anyways

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I don't think the Blitzer is supposed to actually "arc" like the arc thrower does at all. Instead it just shoots 3 bolts that can all hit different targets or the same one.

Then again maybe it is supposed to do that. If it did its damage would probably feel okay against big groups of bugs.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 27, 2024

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

drrockso20 posted:

I do think in retrospect they probably should have started us off much closer to Super Earth, like maybe only one or two map segments besides Super Earth's own in its control with the entirety of the rest of the galaxy in either Automaton or Terminid control rather than the situation that we did have at launch where the bugs had just six sectors and the bots only a single sector and both only had two worlds each accessible

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the overall war progression compared to the first game.

They've clearly got a bunch of story beats planned and it feels like we're more or less on rails until those play out.

The first game was a lot more free form and wars could be won or lost in relatively short order depending on what the community did.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Either way it definitely felt like simply aiming higher wasn't working well, the slightest bit of knee or waist high wall seemed to completely negate it's ability to hit a tatget no matter where I was aiming.

The blitzer is so close yet so far from being a pretty alright weapon. It's got inifnite ammo, stuns some things on hit, and ignores armor, but its so slow and unreliable? interruptable? that it too frequently comes off feeling like basically any other primary would've been a better choice. Such a cool idea, it's too bad really.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Malevelon Creek hell campaign where super earth ends up nuking the entire planet or something.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

George RR Fartin posted:

I just responded to the explosive handshake emote at the very front of my destroyer. This caused my helldiver to get stuck in what looked like an angry tantrum of stomping, but was actually me getting stuck on the geometry. I then fell out the front of my own ship and plummeted towards the planet for a few minutes before the game froze.

You can see my dangling cape at the bottom of the screen here

and yes I took a picture of my screen, I'm old and forgot what the screenshot key was

You were so eager to drop you went sans pod

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

JBP posted:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Malevelon Creek hell campaign where super earth ends up nuking the entire planet or something.

I think the canonical answer is just non-stop napalm and gas barrages and eagle strikes until declaring victory.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Spawns stop once the goal is met on those maps. So if you can kill the enemies that are active at that point you can hunt around the map for any samples.

For 40-50 minutes or more? I mean, they could just be hanging around to chat or something, but I see them pretty regularly. It's weird. Could also be a bug I guess.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I went under surgery a day or so after helldivers was released and now I'm feeling good enough to shitpost and play.
It's pretty wild, my level 50 friends took me on a cruise to level 6 and it was just enemies I've never seen before filling the entire map and there being constant 3-5 titans.
All in one of those phone booth sized maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Sioux posted:

So happy they fixed the Arc bug, so yesterday I could zap all the Helldivers again.

FTFY