Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

There's a followup and it isn't a feel good one.

CW: suicidal ideation

My house almost got broken into and my boyfriend didn't believe me, so we broke up.
The latest update is less of a bummer, thankfully.

(UPDATE) My (23F) boyfriend (27M) doesn't care that men tried to break into my house

quote:

Hey reddit, just dropping in for an update.

My housing manager screwed the window entirely shut and I'm currently waiting for police security to be installed. I am still not going out after dark alone and I carry biteback spray and an alarm.

Now, onto my (ex) boyfriend. As you may know, I blocked him and it was kind of left on a cliffhanger - well he blocked me on everything, started using my mom as a messenger and has been just absolutely cold and horrible to me *and* my family following our separation. I'm also pretty sure he has put himself back on tinder.

I won't lie I have been devastated - even sewerslidal, but after a phone call to my doctor I have been prescribed antidepressants and while it still hurts, I think my brain has processed it and now I'm more bummed out than soul crushingly depressed.

My mom is visiting me every day and after talking to my dad, they took me to my favourite childhood restaurant to cheer me up. I wore dungarees, no makeup and I felt so overwhelmingly loved, it was nice to ditch my responsibilities for a while and just feel like a kid with my parents again.

As for him, we have ruled out the possibility he is involved - many of you suspected this and when we took into account external factors I can't disclose, we realised it was virtually impossible. Instead, he is just a lovely opportunist who wanted to use this terrifying experience to his advantage to frighten me into needing him.

He still firmly believes he did nothing wrong and is actually convinced he is the victim because I broke up with him - which I suspect is likely in part because his mother is a narc who is his favourite echo chamber.

I'm gonna stay away from dating for a while until I'm comfortable with living alone and then eventually put myself back out there, but it's not a priority and I don't want to think about anything other than progressing. Onwards and upwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I just hire sex workers to steal fruit from my neighbours' trees. They're reliable and it keeps them off the street.

Thank you for your service :hai:

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
You should never talk to cops -- let alone having a relationship with them! I hope she learned her lesson and stays safe and gets well

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm confused by this lovely boyfriend's tactics.

So he wants her to feel unsafe so she moves in with him. But instead of being like, oh babe that's terrifying let's get you out of that hellhole and into my hellhole instead... He feels like he needs to underplay the situation and gaslight her about it? Can he not avoid being a controlling rear end in a top hat even when it's a disadvantage to being a controlling rear end in a top hat?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Can he not avoid being a controlling rear end in a top hat even when it's a disadvantage to being a controlling rear end in a top hat?

did you miss the part where we learned he's a cop? lol

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Halloween Jack posted:

I just hire sex workers to steal fruit from my neighbours' trees. They're reliable and it keeps them off the street.

My lemons!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Brawnfire posted:

So he wants her to feel unsafe so she moves in with him. But instead of being like, oh babe that's terrifying let's get you out of that hellhole and into my hellhole instead... He feels like he needs to underplay the situation and gaslight her about it? Can he not avoid being a controlling rear end in a top hat even when it's a disadvantage to being a controlling rear end in a top hat?

A lot of controlling assholes only really have one mode they can be in, and they go from partner to partner till they find someone who will put up with their poo poo for whatever reason.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Clark Nova posted:

did you miss the part where we learned he's a cop? lol

Yeah, it's really the only thing that makes the behavior make any sense. Too stupid and brute force to actually be manipulative. It's just weird after all the Machiavellianism I see in this thread that the fucker can't even get out of his own abuse's way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Brawnfire posted:

I offer a simple explanation: he's also a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
oops. Already posted

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2024

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

On the guy who blocked his ex after getting dumped, i don't think his ex girlfriend was doing a tik tok relationship test. Other posters says she's trying to backtrack, but nothing indicates she wants to get back together. I think she was just baffled that op wasn't going through the proper official steps for a breakup. She wanted to have the big heart to heart and closure conversation. But saying that she wants to break up is a full conversation already and op didn't want to go through all that. The ex and everyone else are just confused how blasé op appears to be, instead of crying his heart out. I admit that I would find it a little weird if i saw someone have a seeming lack of reaction to a 3 year relationship ending. But like, get over it. You broke up. Move on. Stop making op's reaction about yourself.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's just sensible. You can't find lemons in a can, only on trees.

AITA for wanting to take my bio kid to Disney and not including my bonus kids

quote:

1 (31) have a kid (2) with my boyfriend (31). He has previous kids from a previous relationship, 8 & 9 years old. I am the bread winner due to him not being able to keep the good jobs. We lost our rental a couple of months back due to his lack of financial responsibility. (I did not know he wasn't making payments towards certain bills therefore, me paying for everything plus playing catch up became too much.) During these past couple of months we have been living with his parents, and our goal was to pay off our debt. Well, I've caught up on nearly 10k on debt while he's been able to only pay off $500. I do give him grace knowing he doesn't make much money, however, I know he has no other payments other than his phone and daycare. Therefore, paying a little extra towards debt should not be an issue. Anyway, this summer, I really wanted to take a trip out to Disneyland. I told him about us going as a whole, he agreed. Well as it gets closer, he's now saying we don't need to go, it's going to be too hot and too packed. "The little one won't remember" "the older kids aren't that into Disney anymore" which he tends to do this type of tactics when he realizes he can't financially do it. I have no issue doing 50/50 but that's where he won't meet me half way. He rather no one go. So my question is, would I be the rear end in a top hat if I decide to make it a trip with just my bio kid and I? And him pay his way if he can afford it? I hate this situation but I am a firm believer in not letting my kid lose out on experiences if others aren't willing to do that for them. This is why I work so hard, so she will never miss out on anything and have everything she wants and needs.

You had 10k in debt, have no home, and live with his parents. You think you can go on an expensive disney vacation for a toddler who won't remember? :laffo:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
A Disney vacation is a priceless experience. Worth any amount of money and suffering. YOU GET TO MEET A MICKEY

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for wanting to take my bio kid to Disney and not including my bonus kids

Disneyland is way too loving expensive and completely not worth it in TYOOL 2024. And I say that as someone who lives a 45 minute drive away.

If you're as cash strapped as she makes it seem they are - maybe pick a vacation that won't be like $3000 for a single weekend.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 27, 2024

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for blocking my ex when she broke up with me?

Together for 3 years, dumped via text and now needs to meet up. I'm smelling tik-tok backfire. Either way just lol at "We were together 1/6th of my life, she dumped me so I just said ok went to sleep." He'll be fine.

Definitely seems like one of those stupid 'tests'. Makes me wonder if she'd done this before & he wasn't taking the bait this time.

Mushmouth posted:

My lemons!

Not the 'lemon party' you were expecting?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Halloween Jack posted:

I offer a simple explanation: he's also a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Or she's the side piece and he needs to keep her isolated from the rest of his life.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DemoneeHo posted:

That's just sensible. You can't find lemons in a can, only on trees.

But I was under the impression life was supposed to give them to me.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Disney obsession is going to be in the DSM VI, mark my loving words. Just the absolute weirdest brand of brainworms.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shanghaied posted:

Wait until he finds out where eggs come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

"You kill it, you got free chicken! Or; don't kill it...loving eggs come out of their arses!"

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Disney obsession is going to be in the DSM VI, mark my loving words. Just the absolute weirdest brand of brainworms.

I saw a video a LONG time ago, like ten+ years, and it was a husband filming his wife as they entered their Disney hotel room for her extra-special, Disney Princess Package or whatever it was. And my GOD, the affectation she was putting on her voice (for anyone that has to be around her I HOPE it was an affectation) was so creepy. Just that quasi-falsetto, sounding-like-a-little-kid voice about everything in her room. Like, a princess sash, roses, etc... and for everything she saw she was like,
"Oh, is that for ME?! Wow, I'm such a princess, I get a sash! Look at the flowers, all for me!"

Wish I could find it again, perfect encapsulation of that Disney Obsession.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 27, 2024

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

it's the DENNIS system from always sunny but missing some steps

mystes
May 31, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'm not sure it's actually worse than other dumb poo poo that people make their whole identity

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yet another hilarious TikTok breakup "prank" story:

AITAH for breaking up over a prank

quote:

My (24f) ex-girlfriend (24f) and I had been together for 3 years. She and I had the same sense of humor and were pretty good at resolving any arguments we ever had quickly. This past weekend she sent me a long text explaining why she no longer wanted to be me. I tried calling her and texting her back asking if we could talk in person she declined my calls and texted back to let me know “there was nothing to fix.” I replied with “ok then” and blocked her.

Late evening she came to my place upset that I had blocked her. I let her know that if she was willing to break up a 3-year relationship over text and not willing to talk then I would want nothing to do with her. Later she admitted it was all a “prank” she had seen on tik tok and wanted to see how I would react. I’m not anti social media but I have never found and never will find those sort of pranks funny. Quite frankly I don’t even consider them pranks. She was upset at how nonchalant I was over it and she couldn’t believe how easy it would be for me to break things off with her. She began crying but I told her that I still wanted to break up. I tried explaining that I don’t appreciate those sort of tests and/or pranks. This isn’t the first time she has “tested” me but she had never gone as far to break up or pretend to break up with me.

Now I am the villain in some people’s eyes because “it was just a prank” and “I’m throwing away 3 years over a joke.” I’m confident in my choice and stand by it but maybe I am being too quick to end things. Maybe someone that has been in a similar position can offer some insight.
Pete approves (although he would say you probably should have broken up after the first time she "tested" you).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, she did find out how OP would react. Prank: success :thumbsup:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 27, 2024

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Oh, it was just a test? I was also testing you to see if you were the sort of person who would send me a tiktok prank as a test, and you failed.

This is sort of a deep cut, but I was at an autocross event last weekend where a porsche gt3 rs got stuck in some mud and had to be hauled out with a truck, and all I could think about was the dude who took his girlfriend’s gt3 rs offroading in a field after his buddy asked him to, and then was very upset when his girlfriend told him that he needed to pay for all the suspension and bodywork he had hosed up.

Wonder how that guy is doing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

Pete approves (although he would say you probably should have broken up after the first time she "tested" you).
Doing this is completely deranged and the OP is fully justified in breaking up with her girlfriend over it, it's awful that it's a trend on tiktok, and anyone who does it with the intent of posting it on tiktok in particular should be shot into the sun, but I do kind of wonder if some of these people have some sort of underlying mental illness and tiktok videos are playing on their fears and making them feel like they have to test their partner to make sure they really love them

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mystes posted:

Doing this is completely deranged and the OP is fully justified in breaking up with her girlfriend over it, it's awful that it's a trend on tiktok, and anyone who does it with the intent of posting it on tiktok in particular should be shot into the sun, but I do kind of wonder if some of these people have some sort of underlying mental illness and tiktok videos are playing on their fears and making them feel like they have to test their partner to make sure they really love them

It 100% is, probably some variation of "people who actually love you will fight to keep you!" bullshit

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
This just seems like a really sadistic prank. Especially because apparently "ok, bye" is not the intended response. Apparently when someone says there's "nothing to fix", the appropriate response is to grovel and plead and promise to do anything they want to save the relationship. That's not a prank or test. It's a sadistic, borderline psychopathic power play. If that's the love of respect these people have for their partners, they absolutely deserve to be blocked and ghosted.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

FMguru posted:

[...]text explaining why she no longer wanted to be me

Because of this typo, my mind went to some type of Fight Club situation

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FMguru posted:

It's never the person who sent a break up text as a joke or went no contact with their partner as a test for their reaction who threw everything away for a joke, always the person who was the victim of the joke.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Kenshin posted:

It 100% is, probably some variation of "people who actually love you will fight to keep you!" bullshit

Which he tried to do but she wouldn’t talk and welp!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The "not getting upset enough when I broke up with you via text" story is so loving high school from her part. My friend's oldest is going through the same thing and she's loving 14. She "broke up" via text with her really nice boyfriend because his family is rich and she didn't think her birthday present was fancy enough. He "only" got her some $250 dollar sneakers she wanted but she set her expectations much more lavishly. She thought if she broke up with him saying she didn't feel he valued her enough, he would beg to get her back and shower her with gifts. He didn't block her right away, they had a back and forth, he expressed how sad and hurt he was that she'd break up with him this way, and then he moved the gently caress on with his life.

My friend's kid is now devastated realizing she just threw away a kind rich boyfriend she actually liked and has now become even more of an awful teen around the house because of it. Apparently the guy is now dating her "rival" from her competitive dance she's into. So she's breaking stuff around the house, taking things out on her mom and younger sister, and generally being the most emotionally unregulated teen you can imagine.

This is the same kid who last year was constantly having crying meltdowns about how everyone at school bullies her and is mean to her, but it came out that she was the one trying to go all mean-girls and bully anyone she could (including her few friends) which resulted in people not liking her and her friends ditching her from their social circle over it.

Sometimes kids really do have bad vibes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, she did find out how he'd react. Prank: success :thumbsup:

How she'd react.

This isn't a call-out post of specifically you, but I have noticed a lot when a story is explicitly about a M/M or F/F relationship, multiple people often reply with the assumption of a M/F relationship, like as soon as they see the poster is one sex they assumed the opposite for the other partner. Try to pay attention everybody!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

turns out all you gotta do to have a kid is gently caress

Whoa, spoilers

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

The "not getting upset enough when I broke up with you via text" story is so loving high school from her part. My friend's oldest is going through the same thing and she's loving 14. She "broke up" via text with her really nice boyfriend because his family is rich and she didn't think her birthday present was fancy enough. He "only" got her some $250 dollar sneakers she wanted but she set her expectations much more lavishly. She thought if she broke up with him saying she didn't feel he valued her enough, he would beg to get her back and shower her with gifts. He didn't block her right away, they had a back and forth, he expressed how sad and hurt he was that she'd break up with him this way, and then he moved the gently caress on with his life.

My friend's kid is now devastated realizing she just threw away a kind rich boyfriend she actually liked and has now become even more of an awful teen around the house because of it. Apparently the guy is now dating her "rival" from her competitive dance she's into. So she's breaking stuff around the house, taking things out on her mom and younger sister, and generally being the most emotionally unregulated teen you can imagine.

This is the same kid who last year was constantly having crying meltdowns about how everyone at school bullies her and is mean to her, but it came out that she was the one trying to go all mean-girls and bully anyone she could (including her few friends) which resulted in people not liking her and her friends ditching her from their social circle over it.

Sometimes kids really do have bad vibes.

Classic starter kid gently caress up story. Parenting classes are no joke and should be mandatory because this is such a common story. Either they gently caress up the first kid from trying too hard or not at all, or the last one for the same reasons + regret from how preceding children turned out.

But they really are by and large what you make of them. All the emotionally unregulated kids I knew came from homes where throwing dishes or screaming were common. It’s like the first time you’re at your friends house and they get into a mutual, swear-laden argument with their parents which does not resolve anything, even at that age you’re like “oh I see why you always get detention bro”

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I saw a video a LONG time ago, like ten+ years, and it was a husband filming his wife as they entered their Disney hotel room for her extra-special, Disney Princess Package or whatever it was. And my GOD, the affectation she was putting on her voice (for anyone that has to be around her I HOPE it was an affectation) was so creepy. Just that quasi-falsetto, sounding-like-a-little-kid voice about everything in her room. Like, a princess sash, roses, etc... and for everything she saw she was like,
"Oh, is that for ME?! Wow, I'm such a princess, I get a sash! Look at the flowers, all for me!"

Well good news, that voice is having a resurgence right now

https://youtu.be/BQIKT0tcXZo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How she'd react.

This isn't a call-out post of specifically you, but I have noticed a lot when a story is explicitly about a M/M or F/F relationship, multiple people often reply with the assumption of a M/F relationship, like as soon as they see the poster is one sex they assumed the opposite for the other partner. Try to pay attention everybody!

poo poo, I'm usually pretty good at stopping myself from those assumptions, I hosed that one up :negative:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Coca Koala posted:

Oh, it was just a test? I was also testing you to see if you were the sort of person who would send me a tiktok prank as a test, and you failed.

This is sort of a deep cut, but I was at an autocross event last weekend where a porsche gt3 rs got stuck in some mud and had to be hauled out with a truck, and all I could think about was the dude who took his girlfriend’s gt3 rs offroading in a field after his buddy asked him to, and then was very upset when his girlfriend told him that he needed to pay for all the suspension and bodywork he had hosed up.

Wonder how that guy is doing.
That was a great story.

I assume he was yeeted out of that relationship at terminal velocity once the final check for repairs had cleared and the mechanic had certified that the car was back up to 100%.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

selec posted:

Classic starter kid gently caress up story. Parenting classes are no joke and should be mandatory because this is such a common story. Either they gently caress up the first kid from trying too hard or not at all, or the last one for the same reasons + regret from how preceding children turned out.

But they really are by and large what you make of them. All the emotionally unregulated kids I knew came from homes where throwing dishes or screaming were common. It’s like the first time you’re at your friends house and they get into a mutual, swear-laden argument with their parents which does not resolve anything, even at that age you’re like “oh I see why you always get detention bro”

I remember the first time going to my friend's house who was always the "bad kid" at school. Actually a nice kid, he just could not ever keep his mouth shut or express any emotions in any other way than yelling and swearing. We're settling in to play this cool new "smash bros" video game when his bedroom door is nearly kicked open and his mom just starts screaming and swearing at him. "Dan you better be making GBS threads me!!! You're supposed to roll the bins in when you come home from school!! You loving forgot, again!!! We don't ask you to do much..." and then he matches her energy and just starts screaming and swearing back at her to get off his rear end and how he had a friend over and to get the gently caress out of his room and roll the loving bins herself if its so important.

I just start kinda laughing because I thought surely they're doing a bit. This is a bit right? They're just super funny parents and this is a bit they do for guests. It wasn't a bit. But the moment she left he instantly was normal again and acted like nothing happened. We're only like 15 but I tried to like give him some therapy and ask him why he escalates so instantly with his mom, and how both of them need to calm down and do a reset in their communication. Maybe sit down and talk and both agree to stop yelling and swearing and just talk normally and it would do them both a lot of good to reduce stress in the house. He told me maybe my mom can be normal but his mom is just a psycho bitch and he HAS to scream at her otherwise she won't leave him alone.

Later when I went to get a snack for us his mom was in the kitchen and I actually talked to her one on one about Dan and how they were screaming like that. She was totally normal when talking to me and said it was really sweet I was trying to help their relationship, but Dan is just an rear end in a top hat kid and yelling is the only way to get him to listen to her at all.

Oh well lol

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA because I won't speak Japanese to my non-Japanese co worker?

quote:

I started working at a store and one of the guys working there let's call him Rick who is white is always trying to speak Japanese with me once he found out I am Japanese.

I was born in the US to Japanese-American parents who's parents came here way back so my spoken Japanese is next to non existent because our family pretty much has spoken English all our lives. Sure I might know the odd Japanese words because my grandparents taught me a little bit but it's nothing I use for everyday communication.

This guy Rick is always throwing conversational Japanese at me and telling me about his fascination with Japan and then goes on a tangents about his favourite animes, favorite Japanese actresses, favorite Japanese foods and so on

My reply has consistently been me telling him I don't speak it and that I'm not the language exchange practice person he's thinking I am. He's become insufferably snarky and has become real crusty and saying things like I'm a low value Japanese person ? and that I shouldn't even be considered Japanese or call myself Japanese??!!

The worst of it is that he is friends with the bosses where we work so everybody appeases this guy and I've had some of the management come and tell me to talk to him in Japanese or as one manager said "have more positive conversations because he's well intentioned and he's only being friendly" and they're making me feel like I'm being a jerk because of it.

Maybe I am the rear end in a top hat because I do know a few Japanese words but honestly I feel like it's so condescending patronizing and just feels absolutely ick and I refuse to speak what little Japanese I know with this guy

AITA?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

DrBouvenstein posted:

People now do this kind of poo poo on LinkedIn whenever they get a second-round interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DoctorTristan posted:

People now do this kind of poo poo on LinkedIn whenever they get a second-round interview

A second-round interview is a loving unicorn these days. Getting excited is okay.