Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Thoguh posted:

Right now there is a big difference though - Target online stuff is still just stuff that Target sells, no third party stuff. Wal-mart is full of third party dropshippers and resellers and is indistinguishable from any other large online marketplace. Their store pickup options are fine though.

Target being cheaper if you do pickup vs shopping in store is nice though, most other places do a markup instead so I end up doing a lot of my grocery shopping there.

I'm too picky about my produce and if someone just walked up to a display and grabbed the first however many apples or onions or w/e they saw I feel like you'd end up with bruised stuff or things that are obviously going to turn quicker. A friend of mine swears by fred meyers pickup though, and there are parts that sound convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PoundSand posted:

I'm too picky about my produce and if someone just walked up to a display and grabbed the first however many apples or onions or w/e they saw I feel like you'd end up with bruised stuff or things that are obviously going to turn quicker. A friend of mine swears by fred meyers pickup though, and there are parts that sound convenient.

if nobody takes the subpar produce then it gets doused in kerosene and rots in a ditch

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I bought a modular synth case last week with an estimated delivery date of this last monday. It's been sitting in "USPS acceptance" in St Louis since Friday, and google leads me to believe that "St Louis is just one of the USPS hubs that's real hosed up right now and has been since the holidays. Staffing, you know." :laugh:

I had a similar thing happen a couple weeks ago with a watch I bought from a goon; in that case the seller became concerned and I did not, I just said "eh I believe it will get here eventually".

lol at buying a watch from a goon

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

scary ghost dog posted:

if nobody takes the subpar produce then it gets doused in kerosene and rots in a ditch

I don't mind stuff that looks weird or w/e, like I'm not basing stuff aesthetics. But like it's not uncommon to flip over a pack of strawberries and see one already molding in the center.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cheeto dust watch

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Good morning, class! :eng101:

Today's lesson is an example of what Ms. Rogers has been trying to pound into heads over the last several years about capital successfully diverting its evils into generational warfare.

BlackRock CEO believes boomers should retire later than 65

quote:

BlackRock (BLK) CEO Larry Fink has some strict criticism for the generation born in the 1950s, often known as baby boomers, or boomers for short. The executive, who is a boomer himself, claimed in a new letter to BlackRock investors that the older generation hasn’t been doing enough to help the “economically anxious” younger generations and should retire at an age later than 65.

“It’s no wonder younger generations, Millennials and Gen Z, are so economically anxious,” said Fink in the letter. “They believe my generation — the baby boomers — have focused on their own financial well-being to the detriment of who comes next. And in the case of retirement, they’re right.”

Fink also said in the letter that younger generations “have lost trust in older generations,” and that it is the responsibility for boomers to gain it back by making investments.

“Young people have lost trust in older generations,” he said. “The burden is on us to get it back. And maybe investing for their long-term goals, including retirement, isn’t such a bad place to begin.”

Fink also states in the letter that he believes that older generations should retire at an age over 65 due to changing demographics in the country. He claims that people are living longer than they did in the early 20th century, and that the Social Security program worked during that era because “more than half the people who worked and paid into the system never lived to retire and be paid from the system.”

“It’s not just that more people are retiring in America; it’s also that their retirements are increasing in length,” said Fink. “Today, if you’re married and both you and your spouse are over the age of 65, there’s a 50/50 chance at least one of you will be receiving a Social Security check until you’re 90. All this is putting the U.S. retirement system under immense strain. The Social Security Administration itself says that by 2034, it won’t be able to pay people their full benefits.”

The Social Security Act was signed into law in 1935, and Social Security programs rose in popularity in the 1960s. The idea behind Social Security is that a portion of money is taken from your income by the government, and it is given back to you in monthly checks after you retire.

"No one should have to work longer than they want to," said Fink in the letter. "But I do think it’s a bit crazy that our anchor idea for the right retirement age — 65 years old — originates from the time of the Ottoman Empire."

There have been many fingers pointed at boomers lately amid Gen Z’s struggles navigating the current tight economic climate. A recent survey from research firm Redfin revealed that young homeowners are struggling to find affordable homes in the U.S. because boomers have chosen to remain in houses they purchased decades ago.

The survey found that about 40% of boomers have lived in their home for at least 20 years. It also found that about 80% of boomers and 72% of Gen Xers own their home, compared to 55% of Millennials and 26% of Gen Zers.

“When baby boomers hold onto their homes, which are often larger family sized homes, they create a shortage of homes for younger families who are trying to buy their first home or move up to a larger house,” said Chen Zhao, the head of economic research at Redfin, while speaking to Bloomberg about the survey findings. “Without that, younger families are facing both high rates and high prices, worsening an affordability challenge that already plagues the market.”

Study questions:

* What ulterior motives might the author have in convincing young people to blame a random generational cohort for its ills?

* Is he correct that the current retirement age to qualify for social security is 65?

* What might the possible reasons be for 40 percent of boomers to have lived in their homes for 20 years? How does that compare to trends in the past?

* How sound is his advice that older people should be "making investments" in order to secure younger generations' finances? What factors is he not taking into account about older people's finances?

* He states that current social security funding is being starved by people not having the grace to die before receiving benefits; how do these beliefs tie into social trends as well as racial & economic trends over time?

Bonus question:

* How much does this man of the people earn himself? What percentage of it goes toward SS/Medicare pay-ins (current cap for pay-ins is $160k).

BlackRock Boosts Fink’s Pay 21% to $36 Million

BlackRock Inc. raised Chief Executive Officer Larry Fink’s total pay to $36 million for 2021, a 21% increase over the previous year.

Fink, 69, received a $1.5 million base salary, $11.3 million bonus, $18.4 million of long-term incentive awards and deferred equity of $4.9 million, the New York-based money-manager said Thursday in its annual proxy filing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

"No one should have to work longer than they want to," said Fink in the letter. "But I do think it’s a bit crazy that our anchor idea for the right retirement age — 65 years old — originates from the time of the Ottoman Empire."

lol wtf

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

social security retirement age is 67 for non boomers

social security could easily be fixed by removing the cap on the wage tax or you know just funding it generally

anyone who does anything remotely physical for work is wrecked by their 50s and can barely move in their 60s. fink wouldn’t know this

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah I bet the blackrock guy is telling people to keep working because he really cares about how zoomers see old people

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
some ideas are good because they are old. other ideas are bad because they're old. accept this.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

euphronius posted:

social security retirement age is 67 for non boomers

social security could easily be fixed by removing the cap on the wage tax or you know just funding it generally

:ssh: SS retirement age is 67 for those born in 1957-58 and beyond.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s what I said

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

that’s what I said

baby boomer as a generation extends to 1963~4 usually

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

holy poo poo can you people not read

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

calm down

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

stock market should be fine

ATH!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

euphronius posted:

can you redo that post in the format of a tiktok with a game playing in the bottom half? thanks

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
your post has been community noted. pray it is not noted further.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

some ideas are good because they are old. other ideas are bad because they're old. accept this.

perhaps people work the same way

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

1953 and beyond had tiers creeping toward age 67; I think mine was 66 yrs & 3 mos. or something.

But I was a poor who had to start taking it at age 62, and who was penalized for getting back on my feet a few years later & earning "too much":

quote:

If you're younger than full retirement age we must deduct $1 from your benefits for each $2 you earn above $22,320.

I had to pay back $3k that year. I'm sure Mr. Fink would approve that I should be penalized for earning that much more as a poor.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Mar 27, 2024

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

Right now there is a big difference though - Target online stuff is still just stuff that Target sells, no third party stuff. Wal-mart is full of third party dropshippers and resellers and is indistinguishable from any other large online marketplace. Their store pickup options are fine though.

Target being cheaper if you do pickup vs shopping in store is nice though, most other places do a markup instead so I end up doing a lot of my grocery shopping there.

Grocery or any other shopping at target is a completely insane idea. There's no way you're saving any money there lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

euphronius posted:

How dare you insult my mother.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
They need boomers to keep working because when they all left the workforce in the covid years all of a sudden there were openings for better employment to the rest of the workforce which then impacted pretty much everything else as the super poo poo jobs and 2nd goal gig crap withered.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

just buy the house from black rock this isn’t complicated

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Feral Integral posted:

Grocery or any other shopping at target is a completely insane idea. There's no way you're saving any money there lmao

Target competes directly with Wal-Mart now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Feral Integral posted:

their new pharm generics, cleaning supplies like a gallon of bleach or windex or toothpaste or whatever, and sometimes clothes, and some other things isn’t too bad but yeah the groceries are a bad idea

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

DaysBefore posted:

With the exception of the big paycheque and corresponding paid bills I do not miss my office job at all. Neighbour gave me the scoop on a barely known gov program that pays tuition and even some living expenses to get unskilled useless wastrels (me) into trades so hoping and praying and, heck, even voting that I can leave that poo poo behind

does your neighbor wear suit with a bunch of question marks onit

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

there used to be Targets that didn't even have a lovely little grocery store, does that still exist

shoutout to California Targets for the big liquor sections though

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The deal we made with capitalist ghouls was you worked your whole life and put up with all the bullshit so you could have maybe 15-20 years at the end of your life for yourself. What are people working for now? What incentive does Fink propose to....oh I don't know....stop these people from killing themselves en masse?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
If they're considered unproductive...say via retirement and not spending because you have to be extremely frugal to survive then the suicide is a net win.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Gorson posted:

The deal we made with capitalist ghouls was you worked your whole life and put up with all the bullshit so you could have maybe 15-20 years at the end of your life for yourself. What are people working for now? What incentive does Fink propose to....oh I don't know....stop these people from killing themselves en masse?

Treats

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1773022944324620784?t=q7A3rVaTXeEL5b_aFmgBhg&s=19

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gorson posted:

Stancil: LIES!!! The data PROVES that the suicide rate in the U.S. is nonexistent and has no correlation to the economy! Where is that data? It's on the chart that's right over there, just out of frame, DON'T YOU DARE QUESTION ME YOU SABOTEURS!!!

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Gorson posted:

Its fine. Lost revenues from individuals who experienced suicide will be guarenteed, allowing impacted companies to recover these earnings from the estate or next of kin.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Whining about unfair competitive advantages re: critical climate change related technology

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Gorson posted:

Capitalism no longer needs workers to provide productive labor. It's much easier and more profitable to move numbers around on a spreadsheet. Any American who is actually working is chaff.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Fun fact - my federal job required mandatory retirement at 65. They'd just fire you if you didn't.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

:ssh: SS retirement age is 67 for those born in 1957-58 and beyond.

SS retirement age is irrelevant since the organization got dissolved. What you're looking for is retirement age for the FRG public service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
poop island: still pooping in the rivers
https://twitter.com/NicholasPegg/status/1772918533011214368