Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Whining about unfair competitive advantages re: critical climate change related technology

with an extra layer of hyprocracy since this is the kind of poo poo the Biden Admin promised to do under the Green New Deal that never materialized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Multiple people at my job this year have "retired" and then died a week later.

:rubby:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Retromancer posted:

Multiple people at my job this year have "retired" and then died a week later.

:rubby:

i mean I doubt thats true but its very common for men to retire and die soon after, its an interesting correlation between losing purpose and meaning (insanely sad), lacking structure to prevent turning into an unmoving potato/indulging in bad habits and retiring only when they're literally unable to keep working.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GOOGL and GOOG being separate entities sure does seem like shady backroom poo poo intended to avoid taxes and/or antitrust action

They even have the same logo

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Glad the giant evil titan crushing me to death is named booger and oogles

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

mawarannahr posted:

lol at buying a watch from a goon

it was a cheap way to try out apple watches before getting an expensive one

also, yes, lol, lmao

still have not bought socks or boxers from a goon

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yellen salty

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ammanas posted:

i mean I doubt thats true but its very common for men to retire and die soon after, its an interesting correlation between losing purpose and meaning (insanely sad), lacking structure to prevent turning into an unmoving potato/indulging in bad habits and retiring only when they're literally unable to keep working.

Quite literally "use it or lose it" is how our bodies work.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Britain is so funny. What are they even doing. Just dumping human poo poo all over themselves for no reason. I love these guys

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Hobbies used to keep people going. Anyone remember those? It's what we did before smartphones.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

euphronius posted:

social security retirement age is 67 for non boomers

social security could easily be fixed by removing the cap on the wage tax or you know just funding it generally

anyone who does anything remotely physical for work is wrecked by their 50s and can barely move in their 60s. fink wouldn’t know this

Sorry, the priority of this and every administration is "Fund! the police"

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Ammanas posted:

I came here to say Ben Shapiro was right as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can you imagine a more evil statement ?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

euphronius posted:

can you imagine a more evil statement ?

Community Note:

Yes it is very easy to imagine a more evil statement and many have been made throughout history.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/film/hitler-speaks-before-the-reichstag-german-parliament

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m taking a CLE on hiring practices. interested to see if “”ai”” comes up

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Aww the non-white country thinks it's sovereign. Don't they know the world must do whatever benefits American businesses the absolute most?

We're going to bomb China for refusing to build more parking lots for our pickup trucks they're supposed to buy.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

loquacius posted:

GOOGL and GOOG being separate entities sure does seem like shady backroom poo poo intended to avoid taxes and/or antitrust action

They even have the same logo

That's exactly it, Verizon is (was?) split in the same way. Because they're legally distinct entities they're barred from cooperating in some very specific ways but it's generally possible to end run all of that poo poo by paying enough intermediaries. American capitalism working as intended.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SKULL.GIF posted:

Quite literally "use it or lose it" is how our bodies work.

never stop cumming

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

lol at buying a watch from a goon

the one thread in YLLS that didn’t miss a beat after Covid hit was the watch thread. the fashion threads are still pretty much dead compared to what they used to be. but the watch thread is still teeming with people that post about buying multiple watches costing multiple thousands of dollars each per year.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

That's exactly it, Verizon is (was?) split in the same way. Because they're legally distinct entities they're barred from cooperating in some very specific ways but it's generally possible to end run all of that poo poo by paying enough intermediaries. American capitalism working as intended.

Verizon definitely used to (maybe still does?) split the wireless business from the rest and hold it as a private company. I believe Vodafone also used to own half the wireless entity

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ammanas posted:

I work at a public agency that basically has (had grandfathered in for pre-2008) 55yr retirement pensions but I still work with like 70 year old dudes and gals (I share a tandem parking spot with someone whose been here since 1976!) and yeah a lot of them are working for shits and giggles. one my coworkers is an 80 year old former Turkish Air Force guy and ex nuclear power structural seismic expert, 5 times divorced, 25 years past collection a sick pension, and just working for the hell of it because he knows as soon as he retires he’s gunna die

whenever anyone asks if he’s retiring, he just goes “lol this is my retirement”

it’s pretty laid back work overall though so I don’t think they mind but I get it. if somehow the planet hasn’t gone up in flames, Ill probably do the same

Xaris has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

kreeningsons posted:

the one thread in YLLS that didn’t miss a beat after Covid hit was the watch thread. the fashion threads are still pretty much dead compared to what they used to be. but the watch thread is still teeming with people that post about buying multiple watches costing multiple thousands of dollars each per year.

Community Note:

Many SomethingAwful Watch Thread posters committed PPP loan fraud.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FizFashizzle posted:

Feels like targets goal is to become if not primarily than substantially pickup only.

Browse the app, set a pickup time, drive your bro-dozer through the lane and a red shirted wage slave puts your order in the truck bed.

Tipping not required but appreciated!

We're becoming so atomized they're making it more difficult to even shop with other people lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

everyone who committed ppp loan fraud was smarter and more clear-sighted than me. what a fool i was

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Verizon definitely used to (maybe still does?) split the wireless business from the rest and hold it as a private company. I believe Vodafone also used to own half the wireless entity

Idk how they're structured now but I worked for them for a while and people from both units worked in the same building, sometimes in the same room, anything they couldn't officially cooperate on they'd just have both units coincidentally hire the same vendor or contracting firm to handle

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Exodus1984 posted:

Maybe, seems more like they've decided to focus on it as a way to stand out. I don't mind doing Target pickup orders on the way home from work. That said, would be wonderful if they trained their people to not bring me rotting potatoes/onions and horrible looking produce.

If you want premium produce, here's a trick:

Walk into the store and pick it out yourself. You're already there!!!

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

post hole digger posted:

everyone who committed ppp loan fraud was smarter and more clear-sighted than me. what a fool i was

I kick myself weekly for not having a random LLC that I could have used to get free money from the government.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Retromancer posted:

I kick myself weekly for not having a random LLC that I could have used to get free money from the government.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

post hole digger posted:

meanwhile they're making sure in canada that anyone that mistakenly took CERB is now on the hook for paying all of it back. its very important you see to make sure that the people that had no money and panic applied now owe even more. it is sound fiscal policy!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Popoto posted:

meanwhile they're making sure in canada that anyone that mistakenly took CERB is now on the hook for paying all of it back. its very important you see to make sure that the people that had no money and panic applied now owe even more. it is sound fiscal policy!

i think they're actually clawing back some of the PPP loans here via the massive IRS hirings they did, but it's gotta be for like the dumbest of the dumb. Nobody who REALLY ripped off the government, those loans have already been forgiven lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Popoto posted:

never stop cumming

https://news.ki.se/fibroblasts-in-the-penis-are-more-important-for-erectile-function-than-previously-thought

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Gorson posted:

Hobbies used to keep people going. Anyone remember those? It's what we did before smartphones.

It feels like a lot of hobbies are prohibitively expensive and/or require a flexible schedule with ample pto to really pursue anymore and people spending all their time on their smart phone or tablet is more a symptom of it just being something they can sneak in after/before work that's free.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I bought a piano when I was unemployed and now that I have a job I only have the time and energy to play it for like 15 minutes a day

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the great satan is getting upset
Janet Yellen says China's rapid green energy production is creating unfair competition that will hurt American workers and distort global prices

fortune.com posted:

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen is calling out China’s ramped-up production in solar energy, electric vehicles and lithium-ion batteries, calling it unfair competition that “distorts global prices” and “hurts American firms and workers, as well as firms and workers around the world.”

Yellen, who is planning her second trip to China as Treasury secretary, says in remarks prepared for delivery Wednesday in Georgia that she will convey her belief that Beijing’s increased production of green energy also poses risks “to productivity and growth in the Chinese economy.”

“I will press my Chinese counterparts to take necessary steps to address this issue.”

China is the dominant player in batteries for electric vehicles and has a rapidly expanding auto industry that could challenge the world’s established carmakers as it goes global. The International Energy Agency, a Paris-based intergovernmental group, notes that in 2023 China accounted for around 60% of global electric car sales.

Yellen’s remarks are to be delivered Wednesday afternoon at Suniva — a solar cell manufacturing facility in Norcross, Ga. The plant closed in 2017 in large part due to cheap imports flooding the market, according to Treasury. It is reopening, in part, because of incentives provided by the Democrats’ Inflation Reduction Act, which provides tax incentives for green energy manufacturing.

The firm’s history is something of a warning on the impact of oversaturation of markets by Chinese products — and a marker of the state of U.S.-China economic relations, which are strained due to investment prohibitions and espionage concerns, among other issues.

China on Tuesday filed a World Trade Organization complaint against the U.S. over what it says are discriminatory requirements for electric vehicle subsidies. The Chinese Commerce Ministry didn’t say what prompted the move.

The European Union, also concerned about the potential threat to its auto industry, launched its own investigation into Chinese subsides for electric vehicles last year.

“In the past, in industries like steel and aluminum, Chinese government support led to substantial overinvestment and excess capacity that Chinese firms looked to export abroad at depressed prices,” Yellen said. “This maintained production and employment in China but forced industry in the rest of the world to contract.”

“These are concerns that I increasingly hear from government counterparts in industrialized countries and emerging markets, as well as from the business community globally,” she said.

The tone of Yellen’s speech stands in contrast to Chinese leader Xi Jinping, who met with American business leaders in Beijing Wednesday and called for closer trade ties with the U.S. amid a steady improvement in relations that had sunk to the lowest level in years.

Xi emphasized Wednesday the mutually beneficial economic ties between the world’s two largest economies, despite heavy U.S. tariffs on Chinese imports and Washington’s accusations of undue Communist Party influence, unfair trade barriers and theft of intellectual property.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Being the sole hegemon for 30 years has absolutely rotted the brains of Americans.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Exodus1984 posted:

That said, would be wonderful if they trained their people to not bring me rotting potatoes/onions and horrible looking produce.

i'm convinced this is by design. managers want to unload old and expiring goods. oh you want to do a return? please talk to our chatbot

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i think they're actually clawing back some of the PPP loans here via the massive IRS hirings they did, but it's gotta be for like the dumbest of the dumb. Nobody who REALLY ripped off the government, those loans have already been forgiven lol

PPP loans were administered by the SBA which was led by Linda McMahon. The IRA wasn't involved in the PPP loan process.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Ammanas posted:

My dad tried to retire from car sales.

We threw a party, and he packed his office up.

2 Years later I find out he never stopped. He showed up the following Monday, bullshitted with everyone for 8 hours and was there on Tuesday. He's 74, set for life $$ wise but he'd drink it all if he had more time to himself so I don't fight him over it.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

sullat posted:

The IRA wasn't involved in the PPP loan process.

Did you come from a way cooler timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gorson posted:

I still play video games.