Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the federalist society is a terrorist organization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

lmao the gasp and musical sting at the end

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The first amendment does not cover defamation and in the court of law there is very much a restriction to full unfettered 1st amendment rights. You cannot tell a judge to go gently caress themselves then one weird trick win the appeal on the contempt by claiming 1st amendment rights.

Anyway it doesn't matter, judge won't do poo poo or at best they'll give him like a $5k fine which is absolutely nothing to a multimillionaire like president trump.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

free schnorckles

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

UFOTacoMan posted:

schnork is still not borked to me damnit!
we love u scnorkles

:hmmyes:

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/EZebroni/status/1772301877104812413

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Asproigerosis posted:

The first amendment does not cover defamation and in the court of law there is very much a restriction to full unfettered 1st amendment rights. You cannot tell a judge to go gently caress themselves then one weird trick win the appeal on the contempt by claiming 1st amendment rights.

you can if you are rich

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
that's right. America is governed by the golden rule in all things. whoever has the gold makes the rules

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

that's right. America is governed by the golden rule in all things. whoever has the gold makes the rules

I thought the golden rule meant you piss on something to make it yours.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
also that

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
try it!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm sure there is a very good reason why the judge isn't immediately throwing trump in jail for criminal contempt after accusing him of corruption for profit with his daughter.

the power to do contempt and sanctions stuff is basically made up by the court system as part of the "inherent power of the court", so there's not much in the way of laws or constitutional stuff that give the court a very clear guide on how to handle it and how far the "inherent power" extends (you have to read a lot of boring scotus decisions to figure this out)

because of this most judges approach sanctions/contempt with a lot of caution so they don't get a spanking by doing something that gets appealed and overturned, and most judges don't want to think of themselves as authoritarian even though they are

judges also tend to prefer deciding an issue on the merits as quickly as they can rather than dragging things out into lots of hearings. that eats up the judge's precious time that could be better spent Administering Justice or playing golf

all of this manifests as judges being much much softer on rich people when it comes to sanctions because they're more likely to be able to appeal something up even if the court didn't do anything wrong. if you're a normie poor the court knows they're taking less risk, so you get fewer chances than donald trump

so, it's not a good reason, but there's a reason

the milk machine has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Mar 27, 2024

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

ex post facho posted:

dang. I feel like i should have known that as a steve martin enjoyer. Slumfrog your contributions are always welcomed and appreciated thank you 🙏

(sorry*, made this a while back before your av changed and never got to use it. seemed like a good time)

*not really

El Palo Mota
Aug 5, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm sure there is a very good reason why the judge isn't immediately throwing trump in jail for criminal contempt after accusing him of corruption for profit with his daughter.

How can you jail someone who hasn't done anything wrong?!

El Palo Mota
Aug 5, 2009
We did nothing wrong at all, 100%, and that was proven.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ex post facho posted:

lmao the gasp and musical sting at the end

legitimately 20-ish seconds of the best comedic acting ever captured on film

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

the milk machine posted:

legitimately 20-ish seconds of the best comedic acting ever captured on film

agreed

and i'm very much not a steve martin fan generally but this scene is pretty fantastic. it sunk deep into the brain of an innocent young slumfrog

three amigos too

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Slumfrog posted:

agreed

and i'm very much not a steve martin fan generally but this scene is pretty fantastic. it sunk deep into the brain of an innocent young slumfrog

three amigos too

I was reminiscing about The Three Amigos and watched it again recently.
It is still a very good movie to me. I see rotten tomatoes gives it a %45 rating and I feel it's being treated very unfairly.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Steve Martin had a lot of clunkers but his highs are right up there with the highest

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcwz8-EfFYE

all timer

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Asproigerosis posted:

when you're rich, they let you do it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

mdemone posted:

Steve Martin had a lot of clunkers but his highs are right up there with the highest

yep

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

UFOTacoMan posted:

I was reminiscing about The Three Amigos and watched it again recently.
It is still a very good movie to me. I see rotten tomatoes gives it a %45 rating and I feel it's being treated very unfairly.

45%!? Those people on rotten tomatoes are wrong. That movie is good!

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Three Amigos could never be made today we're just too woke and easily offended

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

holtemon posted:

yep

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I've only ever seen Steve Martin movies when I (presidentially) decided to stay home from high school and watch comedy central all day. My wife had perfect attendance and doesn't know what the gently caress I'm talking about if I bring it up.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Don't even get me started on The Toy

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

holtemon posted:

name it Three Amigas

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Louisgod posted:

name it Three Amigas

At Least Three Amigex

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Waiting for the fact check says it's technically true because they believe it, it's just that they won't do a loving thing to make it happen

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I think it's really funny in three amigos when the bad guy henchman goes to the bar and kills a guy and is like my friends are coming be on the look out, so the bar folk are all scared of what's next and then the three amigos show up and do their song and dance while the locals believe they are brutal murderers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh7eAG2jJkA

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

who do they think they are fooling lol

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
I believe America should have lots of things but you old fucks won't let us have them

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

note that the photo is not from their perspective, so it's someone who thinks healthcare is a right, looking at two people who presumably do too, although it is not specified

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
america deserves nothing but ignoble collapse

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Left would never allow Sergeant Bilko to be made today because they hate are troops.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

El Palo Mota posted:

How can you jail someone who hasn't done anything wrong?!

Very carefully

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

the milk machine posted:

be careful, this thread was nearly destroyed by pondering the topology of 3d pizza orb awhile back

the world will continue to test our dynamic

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Serfer posted:

note that the photo is not from their perspective, so it's someone who thinks healthcare is a right, looking at two people who presumably do too, although it is not specified

Ah it actually makes sense now. We believe and are telling them this and they're both kind of chuckling because they don't believe the same... Weird post, 2/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
POV: my unwashed butt hole because wiping is gay and Woke