Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

You can probably still do it. I triggered the quest totally by accident because I also heard someone mention the lord way earlier and then the captain's wife approached me as I was looting her house iirc. I think it's only timed once you trigger the actual quest with her.

Maybe I missed a house, these bougie mansions all look the same. I'll check again!

That marcher's armor set should work for anywhere that Vernworth guards are allowed to go. The gaol guards by the cells attacked me while I was in normal gear, but with the marcher's armor I borrowed from the well right outside the gaol they completely ignored me. There's probably some built in exceptions to screw with you if you get too confident though, like the Jadeite Orb quest has if you do the super obvious thing of making a forgery and then try to hand it over to Ed, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

If there is a 3rd game, I would like to see more mechanics that allow the player to gently caress with the world and cause shenanigans. The ability to steal everything not bolted down, and have there be consequences for that like in other open world RPGs, such as Bethesda games, might be cool.

Well, except Elder Scrolls isn't very good about it either. The only consequences are a guard dialogue asking if you want to do a big fight and probably just reload or pay a fine or be warped to jail with your clothes off with a minor hassle to get them back and out of jail. It's not like in lying rear end Oblivion promo videos where they say people will have emergent goals and systematic resolving conflicts to get a stolen broom back.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Maybe I missed a house, these bougie mansions all look the same. I'll check again!

That marcher's armor set should work for anywhere that Vernworth guards are allowed to go. The gaol guards by the cells attacked me while I was in normal gear, but with the marcher's armor I borrowed from the well right outside the gaol they completely ignored me. There's probably some built in exceptions to screw with you if you get too confident though, like the Jadeite Orb quest has if you do the super obvious thing of making a forgery and then try to hand it over to Ed, lol.

Hahaha I still haven't picked up my forgery yet but this is 100% my plan. Fortunately I am also going to forge a copy of the permanent jail key to give back to Brant.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
“We desperately need you to clear out this cave of maybe less than a dozen saurians, Arisen!” the villager says while the meteor-summoning drake squats on the only path to the village 50 feet away

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Leal posted:

I did pass by that lady and she told me about it but I never got a quest for it

yeah it's a little finicky. you'd think that'd start it but no, go talk to a noble man standing near a fountain? very close by to trigger some dialogue and then go talk to her again and suddenly the quest triggers

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Thundarr posted:

There's probably some built in exceptions to screw with you if you get too confident though, like the Jadeite Orb quest has if you do the super obvious thing of making a forgery and then try to hand it over to Ed, lol.

This quest hosed with me because I never assumed the forger would tell on himself like that. Like, he's a forger and his job depends on people not knowing what they have is a forgery! I only found out after the quest that you can talk to the forger while Ed asks you to wait there, and then you can bribe him to tell Ed the forgery is actually the real orb.

There's probably all sorts of weird quest outcomes in this game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vermain posted:

a lot of this is because DD2's combat is passable-to-good depending on how much you value visual clarity and overall challenge, whereas arcanum's combat is an active hindrance to enjoying it if you don't excise it entirely
This is a great point. I was skeptical of DD2 (having not played DD1) but the first time I picked up a dazed goblin (by accident) I was like “oh there’s something here.” Then when I first hitched a ride on a big boy (also by accident) I was like “OH, there’s something here.”

It’s sort of the opposite of Arcanum for me — the combat was both overcomplicated and undercooked but you had to get through it in order to see the inventive narrative roleplaying. Now I’m getting through overcomplicated and undercooked narrative roleplaying to get to inventive combat.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
lol I blocked an ogre's double flying kick. It went twang! and consumed all my stamina. My fighter wobbled for a second then fell flat on her face.

fighter is extremely good but I've almost maxed it and will need to move on to a new vocation soon.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This quest hosed with me because I never assumed the forger would tell on himself like that. Like, he's a forger and his job depends on people not knowing what they have is a forgery! I only found out after the quest that you can talk to the forger while Ed asks you to wait there, and then you can bribe him to tell Ed the forgery is actually the real orb.

There's probably all sorts of weird quest outcomes in this game.

He is very prideful about his work and wants people to know how good he is

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

MechaX posted:

“We desperately need you to clear out this cave of maybe less than a dozen saurians, Arisen!” the villager says while the meteor-summoning drake squats on the only path to the village 50 feet away
Unironically fond memories of the polymorphed dog getting obliterated by a passing dragon in Skyrim

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Leal posted:

I did pass by that lady and she told me about it but I never got a quest for it

There's a random guy who's supposed to run up to you after that conversation to tell you that the stalking noble is totally evil, and then you go back to the wife and she gives you the quest. I don't know why they made it this convoluted

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Phlegmish posted:

There's a random guy who's supposed to run up to you after that conversation to tell you that the stalking noble is totally evil, and then you go back to the wife and she gives you the quest. I don't know why they made it this convoluted

he barged into a random building and started telling me all about the evil guy when i hadn't even talked to the wife and then he hosed off again lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

Try it and talk to the forgery guy at the right time. You'll know when. Have money lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

i love that dude because you can go back to him after all's said and done and he will just off the cuff start telling you about how beastren are doing a Great Replacement in vermund like it's the most normal poo poo in the world

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everdraed posted:

yo duder if you set that to a pawn quest for a cheap item (waking powder or whatever) i'll make a bunch of 'em and send ya back a few

If I understand correctly, you also need a Pointed Fang?

I'm about to progress the main quest, hopefully Wargs will finally start spawning, if I have a spare fang I'll summon your pawn and send you one.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There is a better solution to the forgery jadite orb quest

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

if I sell all my gemstones for cash, will I regret it later?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

Try it and talk to the forgery guy at the right time. You'll know when. Have money lmao

Oh yeah I figured that out, it was just a very funny case of the game knowing what you were going to do before you did it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

turn off the TV posted:

he barged into a random building and started telling me all about the evil guy when i hadn't even talked to the wife and then he hosed off again lol

Same here, literally just plowed into another house to tell me. So then I went to the watchhead's house and his wife wasn't there to tell me. I randomly talked to a noble who turned out to be her on my way out of the noble district, and had to talk to her twice to start the quest.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

I need a couple to upgrade a piece of equipment atm, but don't have any because I always sell them. Seems fine though - I'm sure I'll pick up some more soon. Do try to offload them in the correct regions though. They're worth far more when you do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's very silly how much faster stuff dies when playing thief and just climbing onto their head and stabbing them than when I was playing Archer (unless I decide to spam Explosive Arrows or something).

edit: Is there any way to tar enemies other than Archer tarring arrows? Or the same for drenching.

Earwicker posted:

im wondering tho is it just me or is it a lot harder to climb up onto larger enemies in this game? i cant quite figure out the technique, whereas in in the first game it was pretty easy to just grab a leg or whatever and climb up

The thing that confused me initially is that I think you have to jump and hit R2. If you just hit R2 after walking up to them, it pushes/pulls them and doesn't climb.

Once you're climbing, you seem to stay on very reliably as long as you have stamina.

Owl Inspector posted:

If you do sell them, make sure you do so in the correct region, since they sell for like 3x as much.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 27, 2024

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Third World Reagan posted:

There is a better solution to the forgery jadite orb quest

The forgery jadite orb quest you say?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I miss instant reset so much

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The forgery jadite orb quest you say?

Two people want the jadite orb. Only one person wants the real one. So you give them the real one, they take it to the forger, the forger goes yep its real, and the guy is happy and walks away. The other character doesn't care that he got the forgery and doesn't check it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Two people want the jadite orb. Only one person wants the real one. So you give them the real one, they take it to the forger, the forger goes yep its real, and the guy is happy and walks away. The other character doesn't care that he got the forgery and doesn't check it.

I mean, the other character would care if he knew. You're basically loving him over by giving him the forgery, and he's probably going to get killed or thrown in prison later.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

that's the objectively worse solution as you don't get to gently caress over the rich guy that way and the other guy is presumably killed

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, the other character would care if he knew. You're basically loving him over by giving him the forgery, and he's probably going to get killed or thrown in prison later.

You are gonna love the post end game

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

No longer the arisen's problem, got paid don't care

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Sloober posted:

quest spoiler bribe the guy 2x, you have to wait a day or two for the second one where hes like 'ah well these things take time', then they catch a guy you also talk to a couple times who spills it on the bandit leader location, then you go kill him, then you have to 'advise hugo on his life path' which i never figured out how, since i didnt he ends up getting in some fight and dying in battahl. you can convince hugo to live an honest life but you have to literally find him a job somehow in order to do so. i'm not a temp agency so i didn't spend time trying to figure out where he could work

the hugo questline kind of mildly upset the completionist in me because i couldn't figure out how to get him a job, so i ended up reading on the quest online and found that one of the methods is impossible for me to do because the quest has a very short window of completion and the other i had already finished in a different way. so he's just gonna stand out there forever i guess. if anyone's curious about the short window questline it's whilhelmina's quest(s) after the coronation but before you leave for battahl. basically have to do it while you have the "nation of the lambent flame" main story quest, and before finishing it. if you don't you can't complete wilhemina's questline which locks you out of finding a job for hugo later. she also just loving disappears completely eventually if you don't do it..

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tabletops posted:

the hugo questline kind of mildly upset the completionist in me because i couldn't figure out how to get him a job, so i ended up reading on the quest online and found that one of the methods is impossible for me to do because the quest has a very short window of completion and the other i had already finished in a different way. so he's just gonna stand out there forever i guess. if anyone's curious about the short window questline it's whilhelmina's quest(s) after the coronation but before you leave for battahl. basically have to do it while you have the "nation of the lambent flame" main story quest, and before finishing it. if you don't you can't complete wilhemina's questline which locks you out of finding a job for hugo later. she also just loving disappears completely eventually if you don't do it..

By "before you leave for Battahl" do you just mean "before you've been to Battahl"? I've been sent to Battahl, but I haven't finished the Nation of the Lambent Flame quest (which is what sends me there). But I've technically "left for Battahl." I'm in the Checkpoint town right now and was planning on going into Battahl tonight, but I might head back if I need to to do that quest.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That resolution to the Jadeite Orb that leaves you with the most cash, at least.

Other options to make cash:

- chase the Sphinx to her second house
- use a Rift of Duty to find pawns offering 10k to kill an ogre and hire them. Then hire different ones and find another ogre.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Is there an achievement for a completionist playthrough in this one like there was in the first game? As in, doing all sidequests, because it'd be a LOT harder in this game. I've already missed out on so many that I've seen talked about.

Also never getting the platinum trophy because of those seeker tokens.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm bored on my lunch break, so I watched this Fextralife video "All Vocations Ranked" because I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

Their rankings:

10 ------- Warfarer --------
09 --------- Fighter ---------
08 -------- Trickster --------
07 ---------- Archer ----------
06 --------- Warrior ---------
05 -------- Sorcerer --------
04 - Mystic Spearhand -
03 ----------- Thief -----------
02 ----- Magic Archer -----
01 ----------- Mage -----------

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I'm bored on my lunch break, so I watched this Fextralife video "All Vocations Ranked" because I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

Their rankings:

04 - Mystic Spearhand -

now that's what i call comedy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sloober posted:

now that's what i call comedy

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Now there’s a thought.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I can't play Dragon's Dogma while I'm on my lunchbreak at work, so I'm relegated to watching bad videos. :negative:

I am curious how everyone here would tier rank the 10 vocations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordiceius posted:

Their rankings:

04 - Mystic Spearhand -

Are they saying #1 is the best? lol?

And Fighter is #9?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

jokes posted:

Are they saying #1 is the best? lol?

And Fighter is #9?

found the guys that can't figure out perfect blocks IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Their rankings:

04 - Mystic Spearhand -

Words worth hearing.