Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

Has the AFU still been taking its periodic potshots at Donestk like they used to?
Yes but not as much as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

how much VC money you think I could get for a startup promising to 3D print artillery shells with AI

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

BrotherJayne posted:

literally incapible of understanding how Russia alone is outproducing all NATO in shells

isn't the DPRK outproducing all of Western Europe too? You love to see it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
spreadshits are the best weapon

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pomeroy posted:

We only know that their sending more shells than Europe, not that they are actually producing more. Wouldn't exactly be a surprise though

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Cerebral Bore posted:

vladimir putin taking a firm stand against the forces of yakub

the west has spent decades saying the russians weren't really white, should we really be surprised at this excellent counter-blow?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

VoicesCanBe posted:

So is Ukraine's fixation on shelling Belgorod a consequence of no longer being in position to shell Donetsk? Has the AFU still been taking its periodic potshots at Donestk like they used to?

The claimed reason is different in that the Donetsk shelling was to punish the traitors whereas the shelling of Russian territory is purportedly to force the Russian people to realize they are at war.

The libs are still laboring under this misconception that the Russian people are able to float along oblivious to the war because Putin is keeping the true costs from them - if Ukraine could just wake those people up then they would realize what an awful situation they are in and overthrow the Putin and install a western compliant government.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Starsfan posted:

The claimed reason is different in that the Donetsk shelling was to punish the traitors whereas the shelling of Russian territory is purportedly to force the Russian people to realize they are at war.

The libs are still laboring under this misconception that the Russian people are able to float along oblivious to the war because Putin is keeping the true costs from them - if Ukraine could just wake those people up then they would realize what an awful situation they are in and overthrow the Putin and install a western compliant government.

And thus the terrorist attack at the Crocus

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is directly working the other way as expected, the public is more and more comfortable at giving the government the leeway to do whatever they need to at this point.

I guess you could say it is going to eventually force the Russians to take action but at least on the border, those troops were there and the Ukrainians have been taking heavy losses without the Russians crossing over.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Doing a thorough breakdown of gdp numbers and going over each section starts a series of tremendously uncomfortable questions for the established notion of things. Insanely overpriced real estate and rent are two complete irrelevancies in factoring real productive capability. Finance? 90% irrelevant, the useful 10% are considered "meh" because doing credit for useful things isn't as profitable. Then there's paper-pushing in services, of all sorts and degrees. In healthcare and pharmaceuticals, how much of it goes to actual R&D and provision and how much is interference from financialization? And so it goes.

A very hefty chunk of those GDP numbers are not only non-productive, but also inflated by financialization (things become more expensive = more number). For a supposed institute of war to think in those terms is a very huge lol. How about taking an account of present industrial capabilities?

Of all Western countries, only Germany had a higher industrial workforce until very recently.

If you go along industrial product chains, it quickly becomes evident that it is not a matter of "harnessing the GDP". Brass is needed for artillery - China leads the production. You need a chemical industry for explosives - China is the largest producer of fertilizer, so sulfuric and nitric acid is no problem at all. And up until 1991, there was this place that had some of the most developed industrial complexes for chemicals around, which could be put to use again with the right incentive. And so it goes: where are the productive capabilities in the places that matter?

The neoliberal fiction of GDP growth as the big metric is one of the biggest lies they told themselves. As Maria da Conceição Tavares once said: you can't eat GDP. It matters little if there is no material backbone to it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pomeroy posted:

Listen in an actual war we'll get all those factories we shuttered to ship production to China 40s years ago up and running in no time I'm sure after being left to rot for 4 decades we just need some WD-40 and everything will be humming ready for our modern Rosie the Riveters. (This is what Liberals actually believe)

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024
I love poo poo like this. Like there's obviously no empathy for Ukraine but there's not even an attempt to pretend. Hundreds of thousands of people being killed, yeah, but how does this affect me personally?

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

KomradeX posted:

Listen in an actual war we'll get all those factories we shuttered to ship production to China 40s years ago up and running in no time I'm sure after being left to rot for 4 decades we just need some WD-40 and everything will be humming ready for our modern Rosie the Riveters. (This is what Liberals actually believe)

Listen here buddy my dad got me a diploma from a very prestigious university, it is known that you can just take any random goober of the street and turn then into a tank hull welder, a uniform maker or a plane repair guy in a week. They are workers, we are the job creators and if the free market is sufficiently incentivized then the job will be created and the workforce will go to them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I know we're not allowed to post any news that has any violence in it, but holy poo poo these little bomb drones just chasing unarmed people around fields and killing them is some terrifying poo poo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

just walk around carrying one of those small trampolines over your head

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm thinking more like a bird gun.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
its ingenious how they always find ways to make war crueler

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lot's of youtube talking heads very excited to see some French corpses.

A bit surprised about it, but I guess they're still not willing to face reality here, or maybe I'm not.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it is directly working the other way as expected, the public is more and more comfortable at giving the government the leeway to do whatever they need to at this point.

I guess you could say it is going to eventually force the Russians to take action but at least on the border, those troops were there and the Ukrainians have been taking heavy losses without the Russians crossing over.

It's a cold calculus but the Russian government doesn't appear that all that concerned, certainly not enough to speed up the timeline. They're continuing to lean on their advantage in a long war of attrition; the occasional potshot at Belgorod isn't changing that.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I know we're not allowed to post any news that has any violence in it, but holy poo poo these little bomb drones just chasing unarmed people around fields and killing them is some terrifying poo poo.

i saw that on the bbc documentary completely out of the blue, no warning or blurring, an actual death and the aftermath, i’ve been meaning to send an official complaint because it’s disgusting and i’m sure against the law (?)

the context is even more bizarre because they are trying to portray the drone operator teen as some cool cyber warrior fighting for his future but the rest of his trench mates are wet, depressed and just being killed led rand right by errant shrapnel or snipers, literally counting shells half a dozen shells by hand and clearly losing the battle

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

spacetoaster posted:

I saw one of those and it upset me for days. It was almost darkly comical, if it hadn't been happening to a real person.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Politico EU

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-ukraine-war-as-ammo-runs-out-ukrainians-still-hoping-they-wont-need-that-ride/

As ammo runs out, Ukraine still hopes it won’t need that ‘ride’
MARCH 26, 2024 4:04 AM CET
BY JAMIE DETTMER

KYIV — Ukraine is approaching its most perilous period since it first astonished the world with its heroic, improvised defense of Kyiv in the days after Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered his army across the border.

But as the country navigates this precarious time, the question is: Are we now in the process of losing Ukraine? And, even more crucially, is the country in danger of losing itself?...

... But along the way, foot-dragging has all too often followed the West’s bold rhetoric, and its promises to stand with Ukraine for “as long as it takes.” While Western weapons and kit did arrive in huge numbers, they never arrived quickly enough, and were often accompanied by hand-wringing from both U.S. and European leaders, fearful of Russian escalation and sometimes spooked by nuclear threats from the Kremlin.

As Ukrainians regularly stress, the weapons that have arrived are enough for the country to hang on — but nowhere near enough for it to win the war....

... Europe, for its part, is trying to help Ukraine make up its colossal disadvantage in artillery shells. In this regard, a proposed Czech-led bulk artillery ammunition purchase is becoming ever more urgent for Kyiv, as it would bring their total purchases from both within and outside the EU to around 1.5 million rounds, at a cost of $3.3 billion.

But how quickly can an agreement on bankrolling this purchase be reached between EU members? And, more crucially, when will the munitions actually start arriving at the front line?...

... But the EU has promised and failed to deliver on time before. And when it comes to military aid overall, there’s been a lot of playing around with numbers. Earlier this month, for example, EU leaders agreed on a new $5 billion weapons fund for Ukraine after weeks of wrangling, but as it quickly emerged, it was more of a creative accounting trick with no infusion of new cash.

At Germany’s Ramstein Air Base last week, U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin promised that America and other allies wouldn’t let Ukraine down. “The United States will not let Ukraine fail. This coalition will not let Ukraine fail. And the free world will not let Ukraine fail,” he vowed. Yet, just days before, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Mike Johnson had proposed to unblock a congressional impasse on assistance to Ukraine by delivering the aid in the form of a loan or a lend-lease deal — a twist that shocked Ukraine and belied the historic importance of this war.

But Ukraine’s allies don’t have a monopoly on tardiness and missteps — hence the worry about whether the country is also in danger of losing itself.

For example, many in Ukraine, including its frontline troops, see Zelenskyy’s dismissal of Zaluzhny as an unforced error by the country’s leader — and one likely owing to his view of the general as a potential political rival.

“People were very shocked and disappointed with Zelenskyy’s decision,” Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko, the former heavyweight prizefighter, told POLITICO.

In his office overlooking Khreshchatyk Street, the wide boulevard running through downtown Kyiv, Klitschko was dealing with the impact of missile strikes on the city the night before. “We need, right now, unity. We need to be united around the people whom we trust, and Zaluzhny, for two years, successfully helped us defend our homeland. He’s the most trusted man in Ukraine, and to take him from his position was not right,” he said...

... “The period ahead could be very painful for the country, and we shouldn’t be held hostage by mistakes. Two hats are better than one. A government of national unity would be a good thing for the country. And with more people involved, there will be fewer chances to make mistakes,” he added.

Among such mistakes is the slow start to the construction of defense fortifications ahead of an expected spring or summer push from Russia, as well as the failure to resolve an impasse over mobilization and move toward a major call-up.

It isn’t just ammunition and weapons Ukraine desperately lacks — the surge in patriotic fervor that saw recruitment centers swamped with volunteers has waned as the war dragged into its third year. Ukraine is now scrambling to draft men for a battlefield that is chewing up its soldiers.

Ukrainian authorities are conflicted over whether to cajole or coerce people into enlisting amid draft-dodging, and afraid of the political fallout if they choose the latter. Mobilization legislation has been stuck in the parliament for months as Zelenskyy, the parliament and the defense ministry keep passing the buck. But with Kyiv outmanned on the front lines, and Putin reportedly planning to mobilize many more following his sham reelection, the clock is ticking.

“Without sufficient manpower levels, Kyiv will likely consume its available resources at much higher rates, leading to much faster Russian gains in the long term,” warned Konrad Muzyka of Rochan Consulting. “Work on legislation is progressing at a snail’s pace, which further harms [Ukraine’s] ability to defend itself over the following months. Even assuming the best-case scenario that President Zelenskyy signs the law by mid-April, draftees would only start entering the front line by late summer/early autumn.

“This presents Moscow with a window of opportunity, where manpower and artillery ammunition shortages will prevent Ukrainians from mounting effective defensive operations,” he added.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
since the M777 being a bad artillery system has been brought up in the past, here is a video of one exploding as it's being fired.

I am putting it behind a link because, while it looks like everyone involved is gonna be alright and might just need a new change of underwear (I know I would), it's still not something particularly pleasant

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

is that what happens when you get the gun system but not spare parts or anything else for sustainment?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lobster shirt posted:

is that what happens when you get the gun system but not spare parts or anything else for sustainment?

It's an overheated gun having the propellant cook off in the chamber. So, yeah I suppose lack of spares, lack of maintenance, lack of training.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Did the US never actually send Ukraine new funds this year? Wild.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1773049616801345762?s=20

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

fizziester posted:

As Ukrainians regularly stress, the weapons that have arrived are enough for the country to hang on — but nowhere near enough for it to win the war....

Exactly as intended.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

In Training posted:

Did the US never actually send Ukraine new funds this year? Wild.

yeah they took it out of their european account

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
NATO may be losing the artillery war, but we can still win the war on disinformation!
https://twitter.com/CanadaFP/status/1772988150559707199
Russia was the first government to ever lie about things to achieve a political goal. They've been doing this to Canada for 80 years, which is why it's important for us to sanction the information space.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

If you were unfamiliar with the expert they selected, three guesses for what he's best known for

The Victims of Communism Memorial

Slava :freeland:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I thought the Czech ammo deal was already done and they were being smug about it to the rest of Europe. That they havent even secured the funding yet, much less delivered a single shell, is absolutely wild.

Why would anyone take the west seriously as a military force?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nix Panicus posted:

GDP, duh!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nuclear weapons imo.

Conventional war? Sure, it's a whole lotta nothing.

But war? Yeah, probably still an issue.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Nix Panicus posted:

I thought the Czech ammo deal was already done and they were being smug about it to the rest of Europe. That they havent even secured the funding yet, much less delivered a single shell, is absolutely wild.

Lots of people were doubting the Czech shell deal going back for a month now.. the Czechs seem long on desire to appear to be Ukraines #1 backers but short on details or actually meeting the deadlines they propose for getting stuff done..

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Exactly as intended.

Yeah I feel stupid for ever thinking the goal was anything except to mine Ukraine for profits until its total collapse (which is another great opportunity for profits)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So its still just a mysterious undisclosed shell source and no budget?

Basically just a press release?

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
See, they needed a glimmer of hope to get the mobilization bill passed

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah I feel stupid for ever thinking the goal was anything except to mine Ukraine for profits until its total collapse (which is another great opportunity for profits)

I'm sure they also hoped to collapse Russia and profit from that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

So its still just a mysterious undisclosed shell source and no budget?

Basically just a press release?

it's magic timing. you 'buy' lots of 'shells' to give for the great pr victory, but deliver after the war winds down. no war? nevermind then

it's a perfect plan but they're just a bit early and having to stall til the bell rings