Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

OKJA and AMBULANCE are 2 other recent(ish) quality gyllenhaal performances

i really enjoyed Ambulance, the drone shots are integrated really well and were neat to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the milk machine posted:

i really enjoyed Ambulance, the drone shots are integrated really well and were neat to watch

impressed by michael bay's arc in my lifetime. i thought he was a badass in middle school, a hack in my 20s and now he's cool again. from the mouth of babes, apparently

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

OKJA and AMBULANCE are 2 other recent(ish) quality gyllenhaal performances

okja is bong joon ho’s best movie and the margin isnt slim

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Enemy is Denis Villeneuve’s best movie and the margin isnt slim

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

StashAugustine posted:

Ringo wrote a series where the heroes resurrect the Waffen SS to fight environmentalists and its not even the worst thing he wrote

lol

Gotta find this. Love finding out sci-fi authors I read one or two books of years ago are all raging insecure psychos like Michael Crichton.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

the milk machine posted:

They got the world champion FPV drone racer and, dammit, they’re going to use him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chucat posted:

That was more down to Athens being completely, comically dysfunctional rather than anything to do with Sparta.

Athens was doing poo poo like sending entire forces to die on foreign adventures because they took the guy saying they'd need a billion troops as serious advice rather than a warning. Pretty much pissing off every ally they had by being massive jerks. Firing one of their best generals twice, on two separate occasions. Executing a whole bunch of their admirals because they couldn't save drowning dudes due to a storm, and then basically leaving their entire fleet on the beach, unattended (this is the thing that actually lost them the war). They also had a hugeass plague.

On the flip side it took Sparta around 20 years to deal with the problem of Athens having walls and sitting behind them whenever they got close.

I would hesitate to call Alcibiades "one of their best generals" but don't forget Athens also had a bunch of civil wars and coups during the whole time as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

lol

Gotta find this. Love finding out sci-fi authors I read one or two books of years ago are all raging insecure psychos like Michael Crichton.

Larry Niven was mentioned earlier, I read and loved the Ringworld books as a kid and I remember years later reading this on his wikipedia page and being like "oh, so he's insanely evil, interesting"

quote:

In 2007, Niven, in conjunction with a think tank of science fiction writers known as SIGMA, founded and led by Arlan Andrews, began advising the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as to future trends affecting terror policy and other topics. Among those topics was reducing costs for hospitals to which Niven offered the solution to spread rumors in Latino communities that organs were being harvested illegally in hospitals.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Larry Niven was mentioned earlier, I read and loved the Ringworld books as a kid and I remember years later reading this on his wikipedia page and being like "oh, so he's insanely evil, interesting"

haha demonic

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Al! posted:

haha demonic

he also cowrote the worst self indulgent novel called fallen angels where environmentalists and fundies team up and coup america and only the brave sci fi fans can save the future, its truly embarrassing slop

Wanted fan in Luna City, wanted fan on Dune and Down,
Wanted fan at Ophiuchus, wanted fan in Dydee-town.
All across the sky they want me, am I flattered?
Yes I am!
If I could just reach orbit, then I'd be a wanted fan.

Wanted fan for mining coal and wanted fan for drilling oil,
I went very fast through Portland, hunted hard like Gully Foyle.
Built reactors in Seattle against every man's advice,
Couldn't do that in Alaska, Fonda says it isn't nice.

Wanted fan for plain sedition, like the singing of this tune.
If NASA hadn't failed us we'd have cities on the moon.
If it weren't for loving NASA we'd at least have walked on Mars.
And if I can't make orbit, then I'll never reach the stars.

Nader's Raiders want my freedom, OSHA wants my scalp and hair,
If I'm wanted in Wisconsin, be damned sure I won't be there!
If the E-P-A still wants me, I'll avoid them if I can.
They're tearing down the cities, so I'll be a wanted fan!

Wanted fan on Chthon and Sparta and the Hub's ten million stars,
Wanted fan for singing silly in a thousand spaceport bars.
If it's what we really want, we'll build a starship when we can;
If I could just make orbit then I'd be a wanted fan.

Wanted fan for building spacecraft, wanted fan for dipping air,
Sending microwave transmissions, building habitats up there.
Oh the glacier got us last time, next time we'll try to land!
And when the Ice is conquered, it'll be by wanted fans.
And when the stars are conquered, it'll be by wanted fans!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Oath of Fealty is such a nasty book.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

uber_stoat posted:

Oath of Fealty is such a nasty book.

ah, but it's also incredibly boring too!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Disappointed in all these revelations about demented authors. At least I’ll always have Ender’s Game and Orson Scott Card.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Disappointed in all these revelations about demented authors. At least I’ll always have Ender’s Game and Orson Scott Card.

Readin’ Niven?
Problematic livin’
Read Heinlein?
You’re doing fine

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Best Friends posted:

Readin’ Niven?
Problematic livin’
Read Heinlein?
You’re doing fine

Readin' McAffrey?
Jackin' off dragons be

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

okja is bong joon ho’s best movie and the margin isnt slim

underrated & overlooked imo! prob bc it didn't get a proper theatrical release and was buried under netflix slop

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

underrated & overlooked imo! prob bc it didn't get a theatrical release and got buried under netflix slop

people also don't like movies that remind that factory farming is incredibly cruel and evil

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i thought Okja was kind of a mess (everything with Paul Dano should've been cut for starters), but it was okay and i like movies that remind people it is evil to eat animals, like Babe.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Scallop Eyes posted:

You may have read it, but there's a short story called "The road not taken" that's like this, where the the other civilizations have faster than light travel but still fight with swords and flintlocks, it's pretty good.

after looking it up I definitely read this at some point

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chucat posted:

also if you haven't read it, the acoup guy actually wrote a really good series on how completely poo poo Sparta is (he's a complete and utter lib about other stuff but most of his ancient history stuff is sick)

Acoup?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://acoup.blog/

Some interesting history vs media stuff, like strategy and tactics in LOTR books vs movies, or how dumb GRRM's claims of the dothraki being based on historical steppe peoples are

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

impressed by michael bay's arc in my lifetime. i thought he was a badass in middle school, a hack in my 20s and now he's cool again. from the mouth of babes, apparently

he is a hack but he's still great. you can be unoriginal or even derivative and still produce amazing work

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

he is a hack but he's still great. you can be unoriginal or even derivative and still produce amazing work

i watch bob ross' twitch channel on weekends to sleep

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Michael Bay is okay but he's forever Diet Tony Scott

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Michael Bay is okay but he's forever Diet Tony Scott

that scene in The Rock where they're having a briefing with desks and a whiteboard on the hangar floor with a giant American flag hanging in front of the door

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
huge han zimmer score banging and clanging around throughout

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i know woo directed, did bay not produce face/off?

edit wow i don't think he did, insane

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
face/off is pretty different from most michael bay movies; for better or worse, michael bay saves time on characterization by having every actor play a typecast part (e.g. ed harris as badass but principled military guy) but the basic joke of face/off is that john travolta and nic cage are playing each other. michael bay is not precisely an actor's director

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

for some reason I was thinking about awards shows today. most of the times nominees will perform at the Grammys, which is cool, and I think they should do that at the Oscars. either they come out and do a scene from the movie they're in that year, which would be a train wreck and fun to see at least once, or let any nominees team up and do cover versions of scenes. it could be a lot of fun to see Emma Stone doing a scene from Superbad with the Jonah Hill role played by Paul Giamatti, or Cillian Murphy as the Scarecrow acting against Annette Benning's Batman

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

indigi posted:

for some reason I was thinking about awards shows today. most of the times nominees will perform at the Grammys, which is cool, and I think they should do that at the Oscars. either they come out and do a scene from the movie they're in that year, which would be a train wreck and fun to see at least once, or let any nominees team up and do cover versions of scenes. it could be a lot of fun to see Emma Stone doing a scene from Superbad with the Jonah Hill role played by Paul Giamatti, or Cillian Murphy as the Scarecrow acting against Annette Benning's Batman

they should also take a page from the keighleys and show trailers for upcoming movies instead of normal commercials for cars and pharmaceuticals and poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should also let the public vote on the Oscars instead of a dumb committee.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

Indigi, I love this idea

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

In Training posted:

it would be really funny seeing The Next Marvel Avengers Sequel win every single year

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

In Training posted:

the hobbit will finally get his due

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the milk machine posted:

it would be really funny seeing The Next Marvel Avengers Sequel win every single year

I remember when people were pretending they weren't just the same movie over and over again

"Like no man, you don't get it. It's actually a really good cold war thriller with marvel characters" no, bullshit, gently caress you
it's the same slop, the same movie
the good guy fights the bad guy that has the same powers as him at the end like every other one

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

listen it saves on VFX costs if we can just have the bad guy use the same effects as the good guy but with yellow particles instead of blue

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I remember when people were pretending they weren't just the same movie over and over again

"Like no man, you don't get it. It's actually a really good cold war thriller with marvel characters" no, bullshit, gently caress you
the good guy fights the bad guy that has the same powers as him at the end like every other one

I've mentioned to people that I haven't seen most of the marvel stuff because I fell behind somewhere around the first avengers and they've become irrationally angry, it's weird

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

even when they explicitly try to, it ends up the same by the end, like that universal-style werewolf thing