Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Miching Mallecho posted:

So, the McMahon stuff did show up last year but the actual disgusting details weren't known until this year and that stuff was literally like two days after Rock getting the board seat because before the details of the suit came out, Vince was literally there next to Dwayne and the others on Wall Street

sorry - in a crass sort of gallows humor, i was referring to the poop from his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

lmfao I never realized Worlds Collide and Sonic Genesis were all a way to Crisis-away Penders. I just loved the Archie Mega Man comics and had fun reading the crossover. That's so funny.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

lmfao I never realized Worlds Collide and Sonic Genesis were all a way to Crisis-away Penders. I just loved the Archie Mega Man comics and had fun reading the crossover. That's so funny.

I miss the Dr. Wily/Dr. Robotnik bromance.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Gavok posted:

poo poo hit the fan when a Sega bigwig saw a Sonic comic on the newsstand where Sonic was crying and wondered what the hell was going on with this property.

Thank you for explaining and now I have a bunch of comics to read. :yeshaha:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

That's only because up until now it was the night where Roman didn't show up.

Absolutely correct lol

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

I don't know. I just don't know, cinema,I guess.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

THE LORE OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Vandar posted:

What's the last tv show that had a notable and memorable and popular opening theme? Sitcom or otherwise?

The last one I can remember is probably...Game of Thrones? Yeesh.

X-Men '97

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Why are WWE stans obsessed with comparing the Fed with cinematic universes? One would think they be into AEW instead if they like the idea of shared universes since AEW actually interacts with the rest of the wrestling world.

cinematic universe sounds cooler than soap opera. i think that's all there is to it.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

1glitch0 posted:

cinematic universe sounds cooler than poopy garbage. i think that's all there is to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Miching Mallecho posted:

Wait, I need to more about this because I've had it in my head that the Sonic comics were good without actually reading said comics :munch:

the sonic comics were good, after ken penders got booted off them.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Morph finally got to be in the opening credits :unsmith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gavok posted:

I miss the Dr. Wily/Dr. Robotnik bromance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Miching Mallecho posted:

Thank you for explaining and now I have a bunch of comics to read. :yeshaha:

also fyi it wasnt just that sonic was crying its that after sonic 06 came out and completely destroyed the brand's reputation they did a total inspection of basically everything. the reason penders could do his weird echidna fanfic stuff is that nobody at sega really cared about the comic, it was still selling okay relative to the comic industry not being nearly as hot as it was in the 90s, cause hardcore sonic fans are basically a captive audience. then sonic 06's reception was so dire they basically decided to go through everything with a fine toothed comb.

this was that months issue, lol. great timing. if theyd done this any other month theyd have been fine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the weirdest penders story isnt even echidna romance or sonic getting cucked its the story where charmy the bee buys drugs from a crime lord named Downtown Ebony Hare

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's almost as if Roman was never good.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
The Lore of the Encidnas

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Miching Mallecho posted:

I don't know. I just don't know, cinema,I guess.

ill get you my pretty. and your goofy shithead too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Sonic comic retcon kinda sucked because Penders had come up with a bunch of really lame poo poo and after having a pretty decent run writing Sonic as a mostly funny kids comic, he got too far up his own rear end and just kinda ran the series into the ground, but other writers, mainly Ian Flynn (who used to frequent the SomethingAwful Sonic thread and is now writing the mainline games) had done a lot of cool stuff with his characters and concepts and turned them into things the fans really liked, but then because of the Penders lawsuit and Archie bungling it, all of those concepts and characters had to just get wiped clean and I think the new IDW comics don't have ANY of the stuff that was original to the Archie comics.

it's such a weird situation, 'cause like, Penders is a jerk and he was not a very good writer, but it is technically an example of a creator clawing back ownership of his material from a giant corporation, which is a good thing at the end of the day and he has said he's open to licensing them back to SEGA. I wish SEGA would just fuckin' pay the guy so their good writers can use the stuff that their fans like in their comic.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 27, 2024

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Earlier today on this very message board I defended comic book readers from wrestling fans who think they're better, but I take it all back. I was wrong and I apologize.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

what did he do. make him not eat chili dogs anymore

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

That DICK! posted:

what did he do. make him not eat chili dogs anymore

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Sonic he can really move Sonic he’s got an attitude

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Going fast = cool
Going slow = not

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

this is what cody stans actually believe

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

drat tails got on that AJ Styles gear

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Each of these are different echidnas

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rotinaj posted:

Each of these are different echidnas

Gene Parmesan?!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the uk got its own sonic comic if you’re in the anglosphere & wondering why you can’t remember any of this. we had a pig with a stick in our one

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Trying posted:

the uk got its own sonic comic

Sounic the Hedgehog?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

"chili dogs for breakfast? is it sonic the hedgehog day already?"
"tis!" replied aunt helga

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Trying posted:

the uk got its own sonic comic if you’re in the anglosphere & wondering why you can’t remember any of this. we had a pig with a stick in our one

The one where the one thing every American fan knows about it is "Super Sonic is evil!? :monocle:"

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

Gene Parmesan?!

Gavok posted:

Sounic the Hedgehog?

I loled

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

The one where the one thing every American fan knows about it is "Super Sonic is evil!? :monocle:"

Fleetway Sonic?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cinema

Voyage to the mid-card

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Gavok posted:

Last I checked, Penders was making a big deal about how he was going to be releasing comics based on his main echidna character with terrible art, but I don't know if it was ever released.

It hasn't released yet, but there's pictures of the front and back covers floating around, so probably sometime soon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Squad locked in for Sunday. No idea what the card is

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Didn't Penders also try to sue Paramount for stealing his ideas for the movies? Or was that just another part of the posturing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CarlCX posted:

Didn't Penders also try to sue Paramount for stealing his ideas for the movies? Or was that just another part of the posturing?

quote:

In April 2022, after the release of the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie, fans noted the film gave the character of Knuckles the Echidna an on-screen father, something no media for the series had done since Penders's lawsuit had given him copyright of the Archie Comics incarnation of his father, Locke. Penders took to Twitter to state that he believed the character in the film to be a version of Locke, and that he believed another echidna in the film to be another character of his, Enerjak.[43] Upon a user asking him if he had grounds to sue, Penders responded that he would "let the attorneys hash that out", leading many to believe he was preparing for another lawsuit.[43][44] However, as of 2024, no lawsuit has materialised.

While looking this up I discovered half of his wiki page is just the Lawsuits section https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Penders#Lawsuits