Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jokes posted:

Are they saying #1 is the best? lol?

And Fighter is #9?

i've always had a mage in my party for the entire duration of all of my playthroughs of dd1 and my dd2 one so i think that's a pretty fair rank to place it at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sloober posted:

found the guys that can't figure out perfect blocks IMO

I haven't played the class and I'm sure blocking is cool but I'd rather play proactively than react to hits and block em. Don't need to block if enemy can't hit me and don't need to worry about hits if the monster is too stunned and dying to do anything.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Mage is 1 just for healing

my new game plus run is 4 red classes, no healing, lets go

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I haven't played the class and I'm sure blocking is cool but I'd rather play proactively than react to hits and block em. Don't need to block if enemy can't hit me and don't need to worry about hits if the monster is too stunned and dying to do anything.

i think you should play the class b/c blocking accomplishes stuff other than you not taking damage!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

i've always had a mage in my party for the entire duration of all of my playthroughs of dd1 and my dd2 one so i think that's a pretty fair rank to place it at

Does that ranking make a distinction between pawn and arisen bc it's very different for either. I don't wanna stand around in a robe and charge a spell, but I'm happy to have a Pawn do that sort of busywork for me.

On the other hand Mystic Spearman makes the whole squad invincible and destroys all enemies handily, but only if you're doing it. A Pawn Spear can't think to start casting the next shield right when the previous will fall off by the time you finish casting the next, and they won't spam dragoon jumps to chop heads as quickly either.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tabletops posted:

the hugo questline kind of mildly upset the completionist in me because i couldn't figure out how to get him a job, so i ended up reading on the quest online and found that one of the methods is impossible for me to do because the quest has a very short window of completion and the other i had already finished in a different way. so he's just gonna stand out there forever i guess. if anyone's curious about the short window questline it's whilhelmina's quest(s) after the coronation but before you leave for battahl. basically have to do it while you have the "nation of the lambent flame" main story quest, and before finishing it. if you don't you can't complete wilhemina's questline which locks you out of finding a job for hugo later. she also just loving disappears completely eventually if you don't do it..

Hmm, well on the one hand if I missed that questline because of MSQ progression then I'll need to restart my game, but on the other hand I already have a lot of interesting ideas I could do to get amazing items early on if I do restart so maybe it's not so bad.

Khanstant posted:

Does that ranking make a distinction between pawn and arisen bc it's very different for either. I don't wanna stand around in a robe and charge a spell, but I'm happy to have a Pawn do that sort of busywork for me.

On the other hand Mystic Spearman makes the whole squad invincible and destroys all enemies handily, but only if you're doing it. A Pawn Spear can't think to start casting the next shield right when the previous will fall off by the time you finish casting the next, and they won't spam dragoon jumps to chop heads as quickly either.

Well pawns can't be mystic spearhead in the first place unless I'm missing something

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Khanstant posted:

? Pawns can't be mystic spear at all

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

Mage is 1 just for healing

my new game plus run is 4 red classes, no healing, lets go

Mage is also vital for weapon buffs, ghosts are so drat annoying without them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Khanstant posted:

pawns can't be spearhands

Nephthys posted:

unless you're spearhand with the move upgrades that make them do magic damage

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nephthys posted:

Mage tax does suck, but you can just use items for healing. Not sure if there's an item to buff your weapon-- maybe a book?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

quick casting actually makes mages and sorcerers a lot more fun as player classes this time around

Nephthys posted:

weapon buffs are the big thing imo. they make a massive difference for a lot of enemies

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

jokes posted:

Mage tax does suck, but you can just use items for healing. Not sure if there's an item to buff your weapon.

there are x affinity scrollbooks I'm pretty sure

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ytlaya posted:

By "before you leave for Battahl" do you just mean "before you've been to Battahl"? I've been sent to Battahl, but I haven't finished the Nation of the Lambent Flame quest (which is what sends me there). But I've technically "left for Battahl." I'm in the Checkpoint town right now and was planning on going into Battahl tonight, but I might head back if I need to to do that quest.

as long as you don't finish the quest i believe. but IIRC it's kind of thrust upon you by an npc running up to you so it's impossible to avoid if you actually go to bakbatthal

also i kind of get that tier list, at least partially. Nothing beats levitate for exploration. it's so frustrating not having it.

this kind of means warfarer is #1 by default though imo

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 27, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There are also weapons with permanent enchants

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seems there's at least one book that cast's fire affinity (igneous melody) but idk where to get it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

pawns can't be spearhands

unless you're spearhand with the move upgrades that make them do magic damage

Ghosts move too quick and have annoying movement patterns to hit consistently with them. Jumping around a tiny cave while those fuckers float though walls was torture.

jokes posted:

Mage tax does suck, but you can just use items for healing. Not sure if there's an item to buff your weapon-- maybe a book?

There are books for all the weapon buffs, but I'd rather not carry a library around when Mages are right there also healing and casting protection spells. They just have so much utility that other classes don't that not bringing them feels crazy.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 27, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tabletops posted:

as long as you don't finish the quest i believe. but IIRC it's kind of thrust upon you by an npc running up to you so it's impossible to avoid if you actually go to bakbatthal

also i kind of get that tier list, at least partially. Nothing beats levitate for exploration. it's so frustrating not having it.

this kind of means warfarer is #1 by default though imo

Some exploration stuff kinda pisses me off, like encountering some house with a locked door and ladder inside visible through the window, leading me to think you could get in through a nearby cave or something.

But no. I looked it up and you literally just have to be an Archer (to shoot the barred door through the back window).

It wouldn't be a big deal if you could change vocations at camp, but I think you only can in towns.

Edit: It also bugs me in a basic "realism" way, since you often have party members who can do the thing in question. It's not like it's tedium resulting from a focus on realism.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 27, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nephthys posted:

Ghosts move too quick and have annoying movement patterns to hit consistently with them.

There are books for all the weapon buffs, but I'd rather not carry a library around when Mages are right there also healing and casting protection spells. They just have so much utility that other classes don't that not bringing them feels crazy.

I like it when I'm sitting back and idiots that were born from a rock charge ahead and distract enemies for me. I only want a mage for buffs, I have plenty of herbs stuffed in my thigh-highs

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ytlaya posted:

Some exploration stuff kinda pisses me off, like encountering some house with a locked door and ladder inside visible through the window, leading me to think you could get in through a nearby cave or something.

But no. I looked it up and you literally just have to be an Archer (to shoot the barred door through the back window).

It wouldn't be a big deal if you could change vocations at camp, but I think you only can in towns.

Edit: It also bugs me in a basic "realism" way, since you often have party members who can do the thing in question. It's not like it's tedium resulting from a focus on realism.

Technically you don't have to be an archer for those, just any class with ranged damage. I did one as a sorceror

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
True tier list
1: warfarer having all fashion
2: everything else being broken

But augural flare is the strongest spell between both games and the maister spells suck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do pawn Archers deal with stuff like Explosive arrows? I'm afraid they'll just spam them against goblins or something, but not having the special arrows severely limits Archer utility.

Tarezax posted:

Technically you don't have to be an archer for those, just any class with ranged damage. I did one as a sorceror

True, though still a vocation requirement. And that house has pretty good stuff inside it (a neat-looking helm, ferrystone, and 12k IIRC), so I didn't want to just ignore it.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Man all this thief armor in Vermont looks like rear end, where's the cool poo poo

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Ytlaya posted:

How do pawn Archers deal with stuff like Explosive arrows? I'm afraid they'll just spam them against goblins or something, but not having the special arrows severely limits Archer utility.

I generally just hold onto the arrows myself and whenever a giant enemy appears I slide ten into my pawn's inventory and tell them to go hog wild.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

They will absolutely spam them at random, I've seen mine use one against a single goblin. If you're concerned with conserving ammo, you can keep them on your main character, and only give some to your pawn for boss fights.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sloober posted:

imo the castle sneak thing is funniest because the guard that guides you there the first time drops you at the worst entrance for it, if you go behind the castle there's a turret staircase that never seems to have guards in it and you dont have to walk through the greathall. honestly the castle security is really lovely. embarassing-rear end royal guardsmen

tbf Brant specifically says he's gonna weaken security wherever he can, so he probably just tells a few guys "Hey take the night off buddy you've been working real hard lately :)"

I said come in! posted:

If there is a 3rd game, I would like to see more mechanics that allow the player to gently caress with the world and cause shenanigans. The ability to steal everything not bolted down, and have there be consequences for that like in other open world RPGs, such as Bethesda games, might be cool.

This definitely seems like an obvious direction for the series to evolve in.

Question for all: Is there a use for precious gems like Onyxes and Tigers Eyes and stuff or are they just vendor loot? If it turns out I've been selling them to fund my crippling fashion addiction and they actually have use down the road I'm going to feel quite the fool, Arisen.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I finally found out where all the Succubi are hanging out, there are a bunch of them on Volcanic Island. So head there if you need Spurious Wings.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ms Adequate posted:

tbf Brant specifically says he's gonna weaken security wherever he can, so he probably just tells a few guys "Hey take the night off buddy you've been working real hard lately :)"

Question for all: Is there a use for precious gems like Onyxes and Tigers Eyes and stuff or are they just vendor loot? If it turns out I've been selling them to fund my crippling fashion addiction and they actually have use down the road I'm going to feel quite the fool, Arisen.

There's a couple armor pieces that need them as upgrade material but that's it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

some things require them to forge upgrades. its not very common so you would only have to keep a couple

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of gems, they're worth more in different regions. Jaspers for Batthal, Onyx for Verworth, and Tigerseye for the elven town IIRC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Trickster is cool but alpha striking is always king and Trickster is the only class literally incapable of that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Compared to a Sorcerer casting Meteoran literally every other class is incapable of Alpha Striking :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anyone know where I might find a Gorechimera?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

A bit of both? I've given archer pawns with the relevant skills fancy arrows and I'll check their inventory and they'll still have stock after multiple battles, so they seem to be relatively conservative with their usage, and I would say they're probably more likely to use them on big monsters (but that doesn't mean they never use them on smaller mobs...). Also later on it is fairly easy to stock up on arrows so it's not as big a deal to hand them some. I do think that tar/drenching arrows are there to set up combos so you should either make sure you can make use of those or just not use those skills. Explosive is great though, an explosive arrow to the heart will chunk off a lifebar or two.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

Anyone know where I might find a Gorechimera?

I seemed to find a few in caves in southern Batthal. If you have a forager pawn, check the marked materials on the map around there.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you can recreate dd1 mystick archer really easily by going warfarer and having daggers as a swappable skill. I'm setting up my guys "final form" to be warfarer with mystic archer and the bajillion arrow attack, with the swap being to mystic spearhand with the shield orb and the dragoon leap. maybe also throw the daggers in there just to have an option to do massive weakpoint damage once i'm on a beefy guy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
although to be honest i am noticing that my quest to give me the ultimate build that i want for endgame is causing me to massively overlevel the existing content in the game. BBI can't come soon enough. does NG+ give monsters scaling?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Nephthys posted:

trip report, all red party

we can't deal with ghosts or oozes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I do agree with fextralife on magic archers being better than thieves. Similar damage output per skill but you can just stand back launching tons of skills without worrying about positioning or being in melee range. How the hell did they put Mage at #1 though lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

True, though still a vocation requirement. And that house has pretty good stuff inside it (a neat-looking helm, ferrystone, and 12k IIRC), so I didn't want to just ignore it.

I lug around a bunch of spellbooks for doors like that. Anyone can use them and the spells that do damage can break the bars on the door. I would prefer if there were throwable inventory items like in the first game for stuff like that, though. Even just like a small rock would probably do it.