Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've fought half a dozen griffons but have never killed one. How do you stop them from just loving off when they take too much damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

404notfound posted:

I've fought half a dozen griffons but have never killed one. How do you stop them from just loving off when they take too much damage?

Hit their wings with fire damage to light them on fire and they lose the ability to fly

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Third World Reagan posted:

Two people want the jadite orb. Only one person wants the real one. So you give them the real one, they take it to the forger, the forger goes yep its real, and the guy is happy and walks away. The other character doesn't care that he got the forgery and doesn't check it.

I wanted that cat man to succeed in life.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

404notfound posted:

One shot them with meteoron lol hehe

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Phlegmish posted:

I finally found out where all the Succubi are hanging out, there are a bunch of them on Volcanic Island. So head there if you need Spurious Wings.

Buddy, I ain't goin there for the wings

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I killed my first griffon by hunting it like Geralt Witcherman himself. Fought it in three rounds, tracking it across the land.

I've been trying to figure out the Ancestral Chamber cave because it looks like it would give me a shortcut back to Melve, but I've encountered a barred door.

Is this something I'm gonna get to in a quest, am I missing an entrance or is there something else obvious?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shyrka posted:

I generally just hold onto the arrows myself and whenever a giant enemy appears I slide ten into my pawn's inventory and tell them to go hog wild.

The triple dip of the special arrows needing skills that cost exp to buy, seperate buttons per shot type and ammo is such a doofy design choice.
Should have been a single button with tap to swap, hold to fire, or press outside of aim mode to swap, shoot in aim mode to fire the special arrow and no ammo.

If they were married to special ammo as a resource, there shouldn't have been the button and exp cost. Just toggle using special arrows through the item menu.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rearmament between arrow skills and arrow types?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I do agree with fextralife on magic archers being better than thieves. Similar damage output per skill but you can just stand back launching tons of skills without worrying about positioning or being in melee range. How the hell did they put Mage at #1 though lmao

thieves are superior right up until you unlock downpour, at which point you can knock off half a boss's healthbar with one volley on a vital and are only gated by how many stamina consumables you're willing to chug

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
The magick archer maister skill will kill anything. I killed a drake with only half HP cost.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao...I can't do the Magick Archer quest because the guy needs some materials and my Logistician pawn keeps combining them before I manage to deliver them.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Black Griffon posted:

I killed my first griffon by hunting it like Geralt Witcherman himself. Fought it in three rounds, tracking it across the land.

I've been trying to figure out the Ancestral Chamber cave because it looks like it would give me a shortcut back to Melve, but I've encountered a barred door.

Is this something I'm gonna get to in a quest, am I missing an entrance or is there something else obvious?

Supposedly at night a skeleton spawns and busts the door open for you, but I wasn't able to trigger it even after saving and reloading. Other folks on the internet said you need to have completed the trial of the archer first.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao...I can't do the Magick Archer quest because the guy needs some materials and my Logistician pawn keeps combining them before I manage to deliver them.

The brine hungers

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So for some of those barred doors they really want me to spend 20+ minutes running back and forth to switch to archer? Despite having an archer pawn with me? Couldn't just let me use a bow as a warrior and just make it ineffective in combat? Getting really tired of some of this poo poo tbh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Hmm, well on the one hand if I missed that questline because of MSQ progression then I'll need to restart my game, but on the other hand I already have a lot of interesting ideas I could do to get amazing items early on if I do restart so maybe it's not so bad.

Well pawns can't be mystic spearhead in the first place unless I'm missing something

Haha I didn't realize they couldn't, it was just the example I went with for diff between player and npc controller because they are incapable of playing the active attack classes and I have been playing spear. Same principle applies with Thief, they won't try and ninja spin through beasts the way you can and will attack an enemy headon instead of dash behind to backstab. I try to stick with magic and ranges for pawns, though so do appreciate the martial classes that can tank just to save a little attention babysitting mages.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GhostDog posted:

So for some of those barred doors they really want me to spend 20+ minutes running back and forth to switch to archer? Despite having an archer pawn with me? Couldn't just let me use a bow as a warrior and just make it ineffective in combat? Getting really tired of some of this poo poo tbh.

You do not need to be an archer to open them. Pretty much anything but Warrior/Fighter/Thief can pretty trivially.

Also I don't think any of them have anything particularly important or worthwhile, just like some minor loot.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i mean, you dont *have* to do anything, if something was inconvenient i just kept moving, very few chests really have some super cool thing in it sadly

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

is there a respawning/static cyclops near haven? I can't find a cyclops anywhere. it's baffling

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

RoboCicero posted:

Supposedly at night a skeleton spawns and busts the door open for you, but I wasn't able to trigger it even after saving and reloading. Other folks on the internet said you need to have completed the trial of the archer first.

Right oh, guess I'll check in later on at night when I'm in the area.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Jeez I feel fairly confident in most battles now but I've yet to bring a drake down even one life bar, when did you guys take one out?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Reive posted:

Jeez I feel fairly confident in most battles now but I've yet to bring a drake down even one life bar, when did you guys take one out?

I think around level 24 or so I could do it? Though Sorcerers do get a massive leg up there since the Archstaff you can buy from Elftown is insane compared to pretty much every other buyable weapon.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Reive posted:

Aim for the heart Arisen.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I think I killed my first drake between 27 and 30. By the time I was 35 or so they were piss easy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reive posted:

head and heart are primary vitals, so aim all your poo poo at them when they're exposed. whenever it starts casting a spell, just start running around to avoid the telegraphs and then go back to attacking. sorc pawns with maelstrom are especially good at dealing with them if you aren't thief/magick archer

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Reive posted:

Roughly 30 or so, but it was less a "levels" thing, and once again a "mystic jedi with the force bubble skill" thing. Only time i took hits was when i'd missed the rotation.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

GhostDog posted:

Have you considered using one of the one billion consumable magic tomes

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

GhostDog posted:

I feel like if an archer can shoot the bar holding the door, the warrior should be the alternative and just bash the door open. You're telling me this 6 food long weapon with a spiked basket-ball size metal head to it can't break this lovely wooden door down?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
yes

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like if an archer can shoot the bar holding the door, the warrior should be the alternative and just bash the door open. You're telling me this 6 food long weapon with a spiked basket-ball size metal head to it can't break this lovely wooden door down?

You can't break the door, that would be uncivilized.

Barbarian

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sloober posted:

You can't break the door, that would be uncivilized.

Barbarian

Definitely not a barbarian.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Reive posted:

I'm a coward and didn't beat one until I was somewhere between 35 and 40. It was an arduous slog that ran into the night and involved lots of pawn resurrections and one wakestone being used.

I was playing mage specced for fighting undead since I'd just done a run through the big misty area to finish out the vocation so I wasn't really best set up for it. All the subsequent drake kills have been with mystic spearhand and yeah, the shield bubble makes it easy. Popping one in the heart with the big charge up beam feels incredible though. Looking forward to going back to sorcerer to try blasting some.

Speaking of, I found a duplicate of one of the magic tomes in the cenotaph, so I might be able to satisfy Myrddin and get his super-spell after all.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

loving Ogres man.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I got to level 26 and only now beginning to feel like the main quest is moving somewhere. I should go to the coronation but apparently this is a point of no return so I should finish up some quests. I haven't found anything for the witch-in-training so I hope that stuff turns up later. A few quests definitely refer to later locations.

The main quests from Brant have been really short in hindsight and I kinda wish I did them a bit earlier. They're mostly just walking around and talking to people.

Also pretty tempted to use higher level pawns from goon friends but I am gonna try to find some closer to my level. Haven't had as much time to play so a lot of people are constantly talking about stuff I have no idea about. But I would like to see something new besides Venworth now. And maybe find/buy some new armor, my warrior is still rocking mostly his starting gear and the big spiky mace you can buy as soon as you enter Venworth.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 28, 2024

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

45 hours in and I finally had an oxcart trip that went off without a hitch

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TeaJay posted:

I got to level 26 and only now beginning to feel like the main quest is moving somewhere. I should go to the coronation but apparently this is a point of no return so I should finish up some quests. I haven't found anything for the witch-in-training so I hope that stuff turns up later. A few quests definitely refer to later locations.

The main quests from Brant have been really short in hindsight and I kinda wish I did them a bit earlier. They're mostly just walking around and talking to people.

Also pretty tempted to use higher level pawns from goon friends but I am gonna try to find some closer to my level. Haven't had as much time to play so a lot of people are constantly talking about stuff I have no idea about. But I would like to see something new besides Venworth now. And maybe find/buy some new armor, my warrior is still rocking mostly his starting gear and the big spiky mace you can buy as soon as you enter Venworth.

It sounds like a point of no return, but it's not, so don't worry about it. S'cool.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Eh, it's a mild one. Some side quests will terminate once you do it.

The stronger one is in Battahl, and it'll trigger when you go pick something up you had someone working on, so be wary of that.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Coming out the ancient battlefield I was accosted by a random pawn but then I noticed she looked familiar so I had to hire her.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Control Volume posted:

45 hours in and I finally had an oxcart trip that went off without a hitch

I got the Trickster augment that is supposed to decrease those and I’ve noticed zero difference.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shyrka posted:

Coming out the ancient battlefield I was accosted by a random pawn but then I noticed she looked familiar so I had to hire her.

While everyone is focused on the Melenas, my distrustful rear end is focused on my ol' pal, Patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A story in two parts -

This morning:

Just now: