Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

what a great loving idea, expose yourself to losing everything in order to pay your debts off

It's a very honest answer. "You can't afford the life you want now but giving it up of your own volition is a nonstarter, so just gamble everything instead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

The destroyed bridge is starting to become a culture war issue lol

DEI boat BROKE the woke bridge

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

I really wanted to buy a metal detector this summer to search parks and common spaces in my area that were founded in the 1820s-1860s. I wanted to get some exercise, walk my dog more, and maybe find some cool stuff. I did a little research and discovered that it's prohibited on almost all public land in my county and the adjacent counties, except for 1 county that allows me to search public parks. If I submit a yearly permit application, promise to not dig any holes, and only search on the surface of regularly mowed areas of the parks.

:what:

I've watched a couple metal detector youtubers and they guard their metal detecting grounds like they are trying to hide El Dorado.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if you sea something, say something

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

no otehr way it could have gone

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Mr Hootington posted:

I wonder how much of that is "internet/social media" as people tend to blame or if it's basically color revolutions at home. Everything significant becomes a culture war and nothing can be done because that means it's a 50/50 split vote.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The boat destroyed that bridge because it was gay and Woke

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's a jet ski. That's the same as my car payment, for something they might use a few times a year

The green side is servicing those bnpl payments at minimum, the pink side is is after liquidating savings to pay them

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1bp9z15/were_drowning_and_we_dont_know_what_to_do_besides/?share_id=BBlsyLr7FakU7jIc5MFcs

they've got $12k in savings and another $70k in retirement plans.

quote:

Net Income (after insurance, retirement, etc): $7,034
Savings (4.30% APY): $12,304.81
Retirement: about $70k

The picture explains all of our expenses. They're split into 2 columns for each paycheck of the month. The gold debts are ones that have low balances and we're considering paying off with some of our savings (you can see the total that would come out to pay them on the right side). The green side is if we don't pay them off, the pink is if we do.

jfc, use the $12k savings to pay off debt, get rid of the cars, bing bang bong.

I'm a poor old and yet better off than these idiots.

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

I wonder how much of that is "internet/social media" as people tend to blame or if it's basically color revolutions at home. Everything significant becomes a culture war and nothing can be done because that means it's a 50/50 split vote.

This poo poo has been around for all my life, in the early 90s there was the "angry white male" poo poo and in the early 1980s it was "cadillacs in front of shacks" and "lazy government employees."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angry_white_male

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FistEnergy posted:

I really wanted to buy a metal detector this summer to search parks and common spaces in my area that were founded in the 1820s-1860s. I wanted to get some exercise, walk my dog more, and maybe find some cool stuff. I did a little research and discovered that it's prohibited on almost all public land in my county and the adjacent counties, except for 1 county that allows me to search public parks. If I submit a yearly permit application, promise to not dig any holes, and only search on the surface of regularly mowed areas of the parks.

:what:
tbf this is not nannystate or anything but simply because the public is insanely evil and selfish and will just dig up tons of holes ruining the ground and creating tripping hazards, and not filling them back up (because effort): all because they thought there might be a bottle cap 4 feet down

that said if you bring a metal detector and don’t actually dig, you’ll be fine.

Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm a poor old and yet better off than these idiots.

A minimum of $23,830 a year on car payments and maintenance

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

post hole digger posted:

i need to know what that guy bought with his buy now pay later purchases.

meals, prolly, given that grocery tab.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PoundSand posted:

Everything is something to DISTRACT YOU FROM some other thing. As if the public giving full attention to anything 1. Is possible 2. matters at all.

This bridge collapse was done to DISTRACT YOU FROM - the border!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

tbf this is not nannystate or anything but simply because the public is insanely evil and selfish and will just dig up tons of holes ruining the ground and creating tripping hazards, and not filling them back up (because effort): all because they thought there might be a bottle cap 4 feet down

that said if you bring a metal detector and don’t actually dig, you’ll be fine.

:hmmyes: this tracks. As soon as you can monetize metal detecting everyone will do it and crater every public space, basically if bitcoin damage was holes in the ground instead of emissions

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Look closely at the collapse footage. You can see the exact moments gay dracula detonated the woke charges. Wake up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

skooma512 posted:

:hmmyes: this tracks. As soon as you can monetize metal detecting everyone will do it and crater every public space, basically if bitcoin damage was holes in the ground instead of emissions
yep. basically if there's anything at all that might make someone a penny at the expense of destroying public land/goods, it will be done.

but also this kinda applies to a lot of public land rules. there are places that are no dogs because the public can't be trusted not to bring their murderdog to run around off leashing chomping up birds or harrassing people trying to picnic or whatever. but people who bring their dog who isn't a murderdog and kept on-leash can usualyl get by without a problem.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I love these $3k candles help me my budget is dying posts. Every single time it's immediately obvious people spending well above what they are earning for treats. There's of course a whole conversation on material condition etc, but like, why you got 2 vehicles and a motorcycle? Why you got an apple card? Why you paying streaming services?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

As if LinkedIn couldn’t get any worse.

Apr 7, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

I love these $3k candles help me my budget is dying posts. Every single time it's immediately obvious people spending well above what they are earning for treats. There's of course a whole conversation on material condition etc, but like, why you got 2 vehicles and a motorcycle? Why you got an apple card? Why you paying streaming services?

Their entire issue is what they're spending on cars. Two KIA hatchbacks and they can buy as many treats as they want. Cars loving wreck everything lol

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I dunno I think having apple anything is an immediate indicator that you're hopeless financially and might as well jump on the credit card debt scheme.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

welp looks like I’m on #teamboat

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

spending over a grand a month on a silverado is fuckin nuts for real. i wonder what the term on that loan is.

Apr 7, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

I dunno I think having apple anything is an immediate indicator that you're hopeless financially and might as well jump on the credit card debt scheme.

The last Apple laptop I bought is completely paid for by less than two months of the difference between what I pay for cars and what they pay for cars. People have a blind spot about how much cars cost them for some reason. Average COO for a new car in 2023 was ~$12500, used was $10500. The less car you buy the better off you are in literally every way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The common sentiment for the bridge I'm seeing is people are getting "angry" that Biden is saying the government will pay to fix it but that is MY tax dollars and I think the insurance should pay for it.

That is right, but also the bridge needs to be rebuilt immediately and not tied up in court battles over insurance money.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

the credit card is such a bad deal for goldman that they are looking to get out of it as soon as contractually possible, so there is that.

one of the terms apple insisted on was that goldman make the payment due date of every card issued the last day of the month, which no other credit card does. spreading it out spreads out the customer support hit when people need to rush payments or delay them or whatever it is they do. . so this unsurprisingly has resulted in a huge influxes into goldman support on the last day of the month. lol

also apple insisted that basically no one get denied for it, so it has a MUCH higher default rate than usual for that reason

Apr 7, 2003

post hole digger posted:

spending over a grand a month on a silverado is fuckin nuts for real. i wonder what the term on that loan is.

6.5% for "well qualified buyers" lmaoooooo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Asproigerosis posted:

The streaming services are a distraction, I think you can have every streaming service and it still somehow costs less than cable TV.

It's cars, housing, and education (college loans) that are eating all the money.

Or eating out, of course, but you can stop eating out at any time but you can't un-buy that Silverado or walk away from college loans.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
If you think cars are expensive, wait until you find about having kids

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

post hole digger posted:

Someone with spending habits like that almost certainly shelled out the money for a top trim and bought a $70k+ truck. Good chance their credit is shot from extreme utilization, too, so they're probably at near predatory rates on that loan.

Apr 7, 2003

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Kids don't lose 25% of their value the moment you drive them off the lot

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Oh good car chat again

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

And yeah buying a new pickup truck is stupid as hell unless you're an independent contractor or something.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

yeah but my kids get like 2 miles to the gallon and have you seen how expensive milk is

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
A loaded up Silverado could very easily cost $1k/month on a seven year loan with a completely average APR.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

True, children have literally $0 in asset value so they can't actually decline in value.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh good car chat again

reddit dropped 12% today lol. lots of people piled in at $69 expecting to catch the rising knife in FOMO. really amazing how FOMO gets people piling in

its also very funny how much people are piling into the DWAC SPAC DJT thingy because its going to the moon on pure speculative gambling, causing more rubes FOMOing in

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

The streaming services are a distraction, I think you can have every streaming service and it still somehow costs less than cable TV.

It's cars, housing, and education (college loans) that are eating all the money.

Or eating out, of course, but you can stop eating out at any time but you can't un-buy that Silverado or walk away from college loans.

the problem with streaming services is remembering to cancel them when you have nothing to watch at the moment

gently caress even the free pluto tv is starting to force closed captions on during ads because they know people just mute that poo poo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

No thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Scarabrae posted:

the problem with streaming services is remembering to cancel them when you have nothing to watch at the moment

gently caress even the free pluto tv is starting to force closed captions on during ads because they know people just mute that poo poo

the problem with streaming services is the exclusive content is all dog poo poo