Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks!

Also, oh man, quests... I'm level 45 and I haven't even started the story quests, because I'm terrified it'll cause me to miss side content. (I know this is irrational and who cares, but wow does this game feed off of a certain category of crazy.)

I put them off for a while too and honestly wish I hadn't. Like for a while it was natural, I just wasn't near there at all to do em I was pursuing other stuff. But at some point I saw him in the tavern and was just like nah, and that's when I wish I had been like hell yeah. For one thing, sometimes they are asking you to do stuff where you are already wanting to do stuff and retreading a cave later is a meh. For another some of them also open up other side things to do or send you somewhere you ain't gone yet.

And I hadn't realized but I definitely see more armoured cyclops and upgraded minotaurs and stuff since advancing story a bit.

Lol at cyclops armor btw, poor guys aren't good metalsmiths. All that rusty armor flakes right off if you give it a shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Professor Beetus posted:

It rules because games not build around stealth shouldn't bother with their lovely painful stealth systems that they half rear end and shove in their otherwise non-stealth focused game. It owned that during the palace quests I could still just run around and rob the place blind like everywhere else in the game. My "prison break" was walking in, unlocking the door, and walking out with the dude lol

I feel like that area is bugged or something, because you get told that the security has been reduced since Brant has given you a gaol key and told the guards to expect you, but I've been watching people play it - They set their main quest to get the magistrate out of jail, and one of their pawns has info on what to do, but the info the pawn has is basically "I can't help you with this quest because I can't go inside palace grounds" They walk up to the entrance, and then you have to go just inside the palace grounds to the prison tower where a guard says something like "Ah you finally made it, Brant told us to expect you" but once you get inside the music is all dark and creepy which genuinely confuses people. They think they're in some kind of danger, get to the bottom of the stairs and the guards just ignore them for the first 30 seconds, but suddenly start attacking. If players fight back and run away, ALL of the palace guards start attacking them and arrest them, putting them back into the gaol they were going to in the first place.

Now they go and talk to the magistrate but he doesn't always have anything to say, and won't always leave? Some people have tried to physically pick him up but that doesn't work. After all that confusion they look around the gaol trying to find their stuff that was taken off them, but the game just automatically gives you back all of your equipment as soon as you step outside - it isn't stored anywhere. It is in reality the most confusing system ever and I don't blame people who aren't familiar with the Dragon's Dogma jankiness for not liking the game.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The (assumed?) minigame of “pick the dungeon lock while you’re not in enemy LOS” feels really stupid in this game even when the basic scenario in like, PoE2 was the same and didn’t faze me. There’s something about the closer perspective, but also the fact that there’s no feedback, at all, about what’s going on or what might happen.

Even Elder Scrolls titles, for all their immersion-breaking “put a pot on this guy’s head and rob him blind while he stands there” scenarios, had NPCs track you with facing to let you know you were being watched. PoE2 had LOS indicators, to tell you that a guy walking back in forth in a dungeon in the exact same manner as DD2 NPCs, was on the lookout.

It’s nearly the exact same thing, a guy walking a two-point circuit , but it feels so much more janky in DD2. It might be that I’m watching that circuit from closer than isometric perspective, it might be that DD2 guards don’t seem to idle at either of their two points, so it looks like they’re getting their steps in rather than being watchful. They feel less like characters I’m outsmarting and more like laser tripwires on a track. It’s janky, in other words.

Exactly, there's no responsiveness and it's not clear that you're doing anything wrong. In this clip, just prior to the person stepping into the tower entrance, the guard at the door says they were expecting you so it's really confusing. I had a similar experience to this person except I came through the back way, and the guys in the main prison cell ignored me completely. When I went into the guard room the archer became aggressive and chased me UP the stairs, and then everyone in the gardens chased me as well, then they arrested me.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableCogentTaroDxCat-rmx0E5wEsez3pEwP

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 28, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phlegmish posted:

Got a quick q about Golden Trove Beetles. There is supposed to be a cap to how many you can consume, but I've explored most of the map, and I don't seem to have reached it yet. Is the cap just the total number of beetles in your game, to prevent you from achieving ludicrous endurance limits by getting beetles from other players?

Also can you make fakes and have them work?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

toasterwarrior posted:

Bunch of questions:

1) Anyone do an assessment of the augments yet? I run melee classes but I maxed out Archer for the climbing poo poo augment as well because of course I would like it for melee shenanigans. I'm also eyeing suffering through maxing out Mage just for the stamina recovery speed augment, which can very well be an issue as a melee character unless you go insanely hard on chugging stamina items whenever.

2) Warfarer, how does it work? Do you equip the weapons you want, and using their appropriate vocation skills switches you to that weapon? Or do you need Rearmament to be able to switch weapons and thus movesets at all? I was thinking of a Fighter/Warrior hybrid, with Fighter's dashing stab and climbing monster stab, with the Warrior's shoryuken. If I don't need Rearmament, I'm slotting in the Fighter's autoparry or an Archer skill just for those goddamn harpies.

1) No idea of the numbers. I suffered through 9 ranks of mage for the stamina regen augment. You still end up huffing fumes and have to chug items.

2) You can equip whatever weapons and armor you want. You need to use Rearmament if you want to use their skills quickly(unless you want to dive into the menu every time). I would 100% suggest carrying the lightest staff you can find so you can swap to it in places where you might want to use Levitate.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

2) You can equip whatever weapons and armor you want. You need to use Rearmament if you want to use their skills quickly(unless you want to dive into the menu every time). I would 100% suggest carrying the lightest staff you can find so you can swap to it in places where you might want to use Levitate.

What do you mean quickly? If I'm not using Rearmament, does that mean I'm switching weapons (and thus skillsets) by going into the equip screen (which IIRC can't be done while in combat)?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

2) Warfarer, how does it work? Do you equip the weapons you want, and using their appropriate vocation skills switches you to that weapon? Or do you need Rearmament to be able to switch weapons and thus movesets at all? I was thinking of a Fighter/Warrior hybrid, with Fighter's dashing stab and climbing monster stab, with the Warrior's shoryuken. If I don't need Rearmament, I'm slotting in the Fighter's autoparry or an Archer skill just for those goddamn harpies.

You can equip up to 9 weapons, and in the equipment menu you can see numbers associated with them. When you use Rearmament, it cycles through them in that order.

You can only equip 4 skills and Rearmament takes 1, so you're pretty limited. I see it not as a "do everything" vocation but like you're thinking, fusing like 2 vocations together. Any weapon you switch to also gets the benefit of having the Core Skills you've unlocked from its Vocation.

Also playing as Warfarer ranks up all your vocations, albeit at a slower rate. I've been playing Warfarer for a while, and my untouched Mage and Sorc vocations both hit rank 2 at the same time, but not nearly as fast as if I was playing as them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheMostFrench posted:

I feel like that area is bugged or something, because you get told that the security has been reduced since Brant has given you a gaol key and told the guards to expect you, but I've been watching people play it - They set their main quest to get the magistrate out of jail, and one of their pawns has info on what to do, but the info the pawn has is basically "I can't help you with this quest because I can't go inside palace grounds" They walk up to the entrance, and then you have to go just inside the palace grounds to the prison tower where a guard says something like "Ah you finally made it, Brant told us to expect you" but once you get inside the music is all dark and creepy which genuinely confuses people. They think they're in some kind of danger, get to the bottom of the stairs and the guards just ignore them for the first 30 seconds, but suddenly start attacking. If players fight back and run away, ALL of the palace guards start attacking them and arrest them, putting them back into the gaol they were going to in the first place.

Now they go and talk to the magistrate but he doesn't always have anything to say, and won't always leave? Some people have tried to physically pick him up but that doesn't work. After all that confusion they look around the gaol trying to find their stuff that was taken off them, but the game just automatically gives you back all of your equipment as soon as you step outside - it isn't stored anywhere. It is in reality the most confusing system ever and I don't blame people who aren't familiar with the Dragon's Dogma jankiness for not liking the game.

Exactly, there's no responsiveness and it's not clear that you're doing anything wrong. In this clip, just prior to the person stepping into the tower entrance, the guard at the door says they were expecting you so it's really confusing.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableCogentTaroDxCat-rmx0E5wEsez3pEwP

If you talk to him he literally tells you he won't leave unless you can find him a place with a bunch of books to read, which updates your quest log and says "find a place with a lot of books if you want to get him to leave." and if you're wearing the full marchers set they won't aggro on you, possibly unless you pick him up and try to kidnap him

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

toasterwarrior posted:

What do you mean quickly? If I'm not using Rearmament, does that mean I'm switching weapons (and thus skillsets) by going into the equip screen (which IIRC can't be done while in combat)?

RubberLuffy explained it better, but yes without Rearmament you are manually swapping weapons while out of combat.

Phlegmish posted:

Got a quick q about Golden Trove Beetles. There is supposed to be a cap to how many you can consume, but I've explored most of the map, and I don't seem to have reached it yet. Is the cap just the total number of beetles in your game, to prevent you from achieving ludicrous endurance limits by getting beetles from other players?

I am also curious about how this works.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I had no problem because I always wore the full set and only talked to prisoners inside their cells when i thought people weren't nearby, and it was easy to get the guy down by breaking the back wall of one of the cells nearby rather than going out the front door or other routes.
To get the guy to move on his own, you need to trigger a different quest in the slums about a kid who went exploring in a collapsed tower in town.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks guys, I wish it were full on DMCV Dante moveset swaps but I guess they were thinking of balance. Not that balance in this one is particularly strong TBH, that Warrior uppercut puts multiple vocation ults to shame on its own in any case.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I think I saw a post either in this thread or another forum where someone determined that you stop getting bonuses after using 80 of them, which sounds like a lot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

It is in reality the most confusing system ever and I don't blame people who aren't familiar with the Dragon's Dogma jankiness for not liking the game.

I think I'd say the same of the original. It was a cult classic, not a blockbuster hit for a reason. There are a lot of sharp edges they usually file off in other games. Either a sequel is faithful to the energy of the cultists who loved the original, or it bends itself in a knot trying to make a modern product for wider consumption.

I'm doing the latter makes for a generic game people will forget, the former makes for a great game that pleases fans of the original vision, at the expense of sharp edges that absolutely will cut some people and they will hate that.

I don't need or expect everyone else to love this game, it couldn't be that great if they did, everyone loves and eats rice n beans but that's not the greatest meal in the world.

I fully trust it to find its people. The only annoying thing about reactions to the games are the lies and the people who chose this game to be their hill to die on as a vain protest/hissy-fit over mtx for a game they wouldn't enjoy regardless. I guess it's easier to die on a hill that doesn't have a game you want to play since you don't have something better to do, like play it. And that's only slightly annoying because anyone who would love this game can easily just ask "hey this looks kinda fun but I heard some bad stuff but is it fun though" and everyone is like hell yeah brother come get your weapon an elemental boon.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

If you talk to him he literally tells you he won't leave unless you can find him a place with a bunch of books to read, which updates your quest log and says "find a place with a lot of books if you want to get him to leave." and if you're wearing the full marchers set they won't aggro on you, possibly unless you pick him up and try to kidnap him

This did not happen for the person in the video after speaking to him multiple times. It was like "If you have nothing of import to say, then be gone with you" and she couldn't grab him after people suggested it.

When I did it I walked in the back door in my usual outfit (I don't think I had a marchers set), the guys in the cell block ignored me coming in. I told him about the place with books and he walked out the back door with me. The guards still didn't mind.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RubberLuffy posted:

I think I saw a post either in this thread or another forum where someone determined that you stop getting bonuses after using 80 of them, which sounds like a lot.

80? That's good to know. Unfortunately the game does not seem to track how many of them you've consumed. 80 does seem like a lot, I feel like I've been pretty thorough exploring, but I'm probably still nowhere near that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RubberLuffy posted:

You can equip up to 9 weapons, and in the equipment menu you can see numbers associated with them. When you use Rearmament, it cycles through them in that order.

You can only equip 4 skills and Rearmament takes 1, so you're pretty limited. I see it not as a "do everything" vocation but like you're thinking, fusing like 2 vocations together. Any weapon you switch to also gets the benefit of having the Core Skills you've unlocked from its Vocation.

Also playing as Warfarer ranks up all your vocations, albeit at a slower rate. I've been playing Warfarer for a while, and my untouched Mage and Sorc vocations both hit rank 2 at the same time, but not nearly as fast as if I was playing as them.

yeah, warfarer's more of a convenience vocation than something like, say, freelancer in FFIV: you take it so that you can wear whatever the gently caress you want and have access to another mode of engaging with combat. i personally went with fighter + magick archer for perfect blocks and vital heavy attacks along with potent ranged poo poo, but i imagine thief + archer would work well for people who want that oldschool strider mixup

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

1) Anyone do an assessment of the augments yet? I run melee classes but I maxed out Archer for the climbing poo poo augment as well because of course I would like it for melee shenanigans. I'm also eyeing suffering through maxing out Mage just for the stamina recovery speed augment, which can very well be an issue as a melee character unless you go insanely hard on chugging stamina items whenever.

According to the info on Fextralife, the bonuses you get from augments are extraordinarily minimal, and it definitely seems that way playing around with them. Expect 5-10% bonuses. Not really noticeable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would 100% suggest carrying the lightest staff you can find so you can swap to it in places where you might want to use Levitate.

The tooltips when unlocking Warfarer state that only your heaviest equipped weapon counts for weight, which seems accurate to my experience. If I have 2 weapons equipped and one just sitting in my inventory, but then equip that as my 3rd, my weight total goes down.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I killed a Medusa and got a archer bow from the corpse. It has really high attack power, is incredibly heavy (like 15kg), when using it I get more EXP from enemies, which is awesome. However it makes your Archer skills use a ton more stamina. For example, Spiral Arrow takes like 75% of my bar. If I don't have that much and I use it, I literally just collapse to the floor and a pawn has to come get me up.

It owns, I put it on Warfarer and use it as my primary weapon, switching to daggers when I need to.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fiona 2.1 after Dragonforging what I could:

Switched out the Valkyrian Scalecloth for an Elegant Petticoat since the latter has much better Magick Defense while otherwise being very similar.

Also noticed she does not appear to have a belly button. Is this canon? Do pawns not have belly buttons? It would make sense, since they're not human and presumably not born in the normal way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vargs posted:

According to the info on Fextralife, the bonuses you get from augments are extraordinarily minimal, and it definitely seems that way playing around with them. Expect 5-10% bonuses. Not really noticeable.

drat, that's legit disappointing. The DD1 ones were gamechangers in comparison

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
If there’s a second, reliable source I’ll let it go but Fextralife in general I avoid for incorrect or unsubstantiated info.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's checkable math. The site's accurate.

Hell the "increase Strength" augment from Thief gives you...a whopping 30 strength. They very clearly didn't want people to feel like they had to play vocations they didn't want to for gains.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well poo poo, they could've juiced them further and grouped them into appropriate schools of vocations instead of needing me to play Mage for a critical physical class augment

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
In the quest log - a quest marked with an hourglass is timed (I assume), what does the blue hand mean though?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

In the quest log - a quest marked with an hourglass is timed (I assume), what does the blue hand mean though?

You've got a pawn that knows the quest.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Oh cool. Was worried that it was something else to note.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
there are few things funnier than when you have an excited group of characters watching you chuck that ferrystone into the air only to see it clatter to the ground because it's not allowed here

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
thought i was slick riding the sphinx off to batahl, turns out if you do that you can't loot the main chest, i got owned

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Ulrika is now my wife and I'm so happy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, I finally was raided during camp, destroying my Elite Camping Kit. That blows. I guess it's just a matter of luck?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

A story in two parts -

This morning:

Just now:

It's very amusing to me that your mom plays this game. All my mom ever says about games is "why are you always running everywhere?"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Internet Explorer posted:

It's very amusing to me that your mom plays this game. All my mom ever says about games is "why are you always running everywhere?"

hey my pawn says the exact same thing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:aaaaa:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I think blue hand = your pawn, hand I = 1st hired pawn, hand II = 2nd hired pawn. Same icons are on items to see who has how much of it (+chest icon for storage)

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Ahhh the stuff that happens in this game is epic

https://clips.twitch.tv/LightHealthyRadicchioPJSugar-QFm5Pv0rFePJsp1o

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
The post was a while back but one option for getting Hugo a job is to give Issac the other book so that the incredibly obviously sign posted tragedy happens (I was like, "there's gotta be a twist ((there's no twist)) and you can mention that hey there's an apothecary with an opening. I lol'd

Funniest thing that happened to me was taking a gondola and a gryphon shows up and dive bombs me to the ground. Thankfully I had hosed up getting all of my pawns on board so one of them managed to catch me

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Holy gently caress the main story quest went absolute warp speed out of nowhere. I.. am still surprised on how absolutely abruptly all of that poo poo went down.

Yeah I looked up the true ending poo poo afterwards because the regular ending was kind of rear end. I explored for a bit, almost got destroyed by the headless horseman, did crap in the desert town, and hoofed it back to the undersea castle area. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow but yeah, honestly I think I'm about ready to wrap this up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

In the distant past (I'm talking N64/PS1/PS2 era), she was always interested in video games but never really played them. She would buy the lovely movie tie-in games that were always dogshit platformers that ran like poo poo.

Around 2010, I gave her my old Xbox 360 and bought myself a newer one. Set her up with Lego Harry Potter to ease her into gaming. My stepdad was doing contractor work overseas so was gone for months at a time. This help keep her busy. I kept ramping her up with games and eventually she went on to play Fable 2, Dragon Age Origins, and Skyrim. Her favorite games of all time are the Dragon Age games, Dragons Dogma 1, and Witcher 3. She prefers games where she can have a party and she almost exclusively plays fantasy games (absolutely nothing with shooting).

Despite playing "serious" games for over a decade now, she's still kinda (and I mean this lovingly) really bad at gaming and gets stressed out super easily. She will always play on easy difficulty, if available, and sometimes even that is too much (she almost quit God of War Ragnarok, finding it too hard). But she's a 63 year old woman, so I'm just proud of her for trying.

This past Christmas, my step-dad got us all to chip in to get her a PS5 for her birthday. He still does not understand videogames or why people play them, but he's at least supportive. It was perfect timing too with DD2 arriving now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Bit of a PSA about the last quests. Very slightly spoilery so I'll cover it, but I won't reveal too much.

Do NOT give the 15 wyrmlife crystals to Ambrosius until you are ready to finish the game. It starts a hidden timer (that's probably the trigger anyways) for a big mission which seems to lead straight into the final mission, and while it SEEMS I was able to break the chain of the final quest by ferry stoning away, not sure how I'm going to get back there. I was pretty annoyed to be honest, because I'm still doing a bunch of quests and there's still significant places on the map I've either never been or barely explored. So, watch out with that quest if you don't want to do more endgame stuff yet. Apparently you can ignore this mission, but it will just happen without you if you do.

Valleyant posted:

The post was a while back but one option for getting Hugo a job is to give Issac the other book so that the incredibly obviously sign posted tragedy happens (I was like, "there's gotta be a twist ((there's no twist)) and you can mention that hey there's an apothecary with an opening. I lol'd

Funniest thing that happened to me was taking a gondola and a gryphon shows up and dive bombs me to the ground. Thankfully I had hosed up getting all of my pawns on board so one of them managed to catch me

Ah, I managed it by giving Wilhelmina gifts then doing her questline, after she's got those nuclear red cheeks you can offer him a job at the bordello

Your way sounds pretty funny though, even if I can't for the life of me remember who Isaac is or what book you're talking about.

Play fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 28, 2024

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Play posted:

Bit of a PSA about the last quests. Very slightly spoilery so I'll cover it, but I won't reveal too much.

Do NOT give the 15 wyrmlife crystals to Ambrosius until you are ready to finish the game. It starts a hidden timer (that's probably the trigger anyways) for a big mission which seems to lead straight into the final mission, and while it SEEMS I was able to break the chain of the final quest by ferry stoning away, not sure how I'm going to get back there. I was pretty annoyed to be honest, because I'm still doing a bunch of quests and there's still significant places on the map I've either never been or barely explored. So, watch out with that quest if you don't want to do more endgame stuff yet. Apparently you can ignore this mission, but it will just happen without you if you do.

Ah, I managed it by giving Wilhelmina gifts then doing her questline, after she's got those nuclear red cheeks you can offer him a job at the bordello

Your way sounds pretty funny though, even if I can't for the life of me remember who Isaac is or what book you're talking about.

once you deliver those items and fight the spiky enemy you can just gently caress off for 3 months and do whatever you want, no apparent timer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’m not far in but so far I don’t love the world. I keep getting disoriented and have to refer to my map constantly.

I think it’s because it seems like a big open world, but in truth is a labyrinth of narrow corridors flanked by unscalable cliffs. Hope it opens up some eventually.