Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

The common sentiment for the bridge I'm seeing is people are getting "angry" that Biden is saying the government will pay to fix it but that is MY tax dollars and I think the insurance should pay for it.

That is right, but also the bridge needs to be rebuilt immediately and not tied up in court battles over insurance money.

They can still have the court battle over the insurance money since the responsible thing to do would be to have the government pay for it and then file a claim against the insurer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I listened to Geopolitical Economy Report during my commute and while the content is good I have to deduct points for them talking about charts I can't see because I downloaded the audio version.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

post hole digger posted:

why? rate of change y to y or even quarter to quarter is a huge driver of stock price

From 20' onward, revenue increases at a steady pace of roughly +3b/yr but the y/y shows a different story

It's stupid and misleads on growth so yeah huge driver of stonks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

sullat posted:

They can still have the court battle over the insurance money since the responsible thing to do would be to have the government pay for it and then file a claim against the insurer.

there's gonna be dozens and dozens of lawsuits between allllll the different parties and insurers and so on and they'll last for several years

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

the milk machine posted:

there's gonna be dozens and dozens of lawsuits between allllll the different parties and insurers and so on and they'll last for several years

a responsible government would rebuild the drat bridge while all that happens still

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I would not be surprised to see it last a decade. Going to be a good time to be an admiralty law firm in the DC/Baltimore area.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

a responsible government would rebuild the drat bridge while all that happens still

They won't wait for the lawsuits to finish to start rebuilding

It'll still take forever anyway though

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

They won't wait for the lawsuits to finish to start rebuilding

It'll still take forever anyway though

In fact it might be a fun bet, which will finish first the lawsuits or the bridge.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

yea it'll be done around the time biden finishes his second term

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mustached Demon posted:

they won't wait for the lawsuits though i don't think that makes the government "responsible"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it's gonna be like the post about all the best characters come together for a big party but instead it's the port and the state and the county and the feds and every company booking space on the ship and the ship owner and the crew contracting company and the insurance company for each one of those etc etc

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

It will be a tollway

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/transportation/baltimore-bridge-collapse-bodies-found-EI2DYQFAFVEZ5GUCEJHT5GUZBA/

quote:

The National Transportation Safety Board provided new insight Wednesday night into why the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed so suddenly after being struck by a cargo ship that had lost power.

It was a “fracture critical bridge,” meaning if one portion sustained enough damage, the entire structure would collapse, said Jennifer Homendy, chair of the NTSB. Of the roughly 615,000 bridges in the country, about 17,000, or less than 3%, are fracture critical, Homendy said.

”The preferred method for building bridges today is that there is redundancy built in,” she said. “This bridge did not have redundancy.”

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
how many of those 17,000 FRACTURE CRITICAL ones are huge fuckoff important bridges

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Ah they went with the glass cannon build

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"We know about this critical weak point for 17,000, but, eh... :shrug: whatchagonnado."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

yea it'll be done around the time biden finishes his second term

I'd honestly be surprised if it was open before 2030 and that's everything going well

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I'd honestly be surprised if it was open before 2030 and that's everything going well

Exactly. So before Joe finishes his 2nd term.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Exactly. So before Joe finishes his 2nd term.

Oh I get it now

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Baltimore is hosed even not considering the daily millions lost. By the time they clear the wreck and open the port, new trading relationships will have formed elsewhere and that's lost business they'll have trouble getting back.

Oh, another port town, Houston, is out of money but for different reasons.

None of this should bother the premium consumer too much.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Woke Mind Virus posted:

It will be a tollway

it was already a toll bridge

also i recommend not looking up how many structurally deficient bridges are near you

here's the francis scott key bridge

ADT in 2019: 30,767
bridge condition: Fair

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Mar 28, 2024

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the popes toes posted:

Baltimore is hosed even not considering the daily millions lost. By the time they clear the wreck and open the port, new trading relationships will have formed elsewhere and that's lost business they'll have trouble getting back.

Oh, another port town, Houston, is out of money but for different reasons.

None of this should bother the premium consumer too much.

unlike america's bridges, the premium consumer is strong

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also i recommend not looking up how many structurally deficient bridges are near you

it's here if you want to, by highway system is typically easiest
why does texas have so many loving bridges?

TXDOT page i looked up posted:

Texas has 54,488 bridges that carry vehicular traffic--about 26,000 more bridges than any other state in the nation, and more than the combined inventories of 17 states.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

As if LinkedIn couldn’t get any worse.

Yeah thinking it's time to delete. Alotta weird ppl hitting you up for a job

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Malloc Voidstar posted:

probably highway crossings

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Because the libtards hate bridges, OP.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Texas has some of the highest taxes in the nation and grows taxes by growing sprawl, which means big transportation spending. also it got A LOT of pork barrel from the feds back during the pork barrel days (bring it back)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's the francis scott key bridge

I gotta be honest, CA does better by this metric than I would have guessed. It's not good, but I expected worse. So...yaaaaay, we're not clearly the worst I guess?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

the popes toes posted:

Because the libtards hate bridges, OP.

DEI says bridges are racist.:colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Malloc Voidstar posted:

DEI (doze engineers ingineerin) run amok

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pink Mist posted:

you can now trade bets like pokemon and fill out a gambledex

how about wager SPACs - you put in money for a trusted intermediary to bet with

each SPAC can be advertised for the personality of the intermediary or the betting profile

pick the Goldman SPAC Advisor for a wide spread of bets from an experienced gambler, or how about Neddit Nick who'll meme the money, Sandra Sexy who'll stream the wager process in a breathy Totally Not AI girl voice

idk really

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
good. death to canada https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2024-canada-services-benefits-data/

quote:

Housing Crisis, Packed Hospitals and Food Lines: Even in Canada?

From Montreal to Vancouver, some residents are losing faith in a longstanding social safety net that is central to the country’s identity.

Canada has long prided itself on its social programs, meant to reduce poverty and equalize access to what are seen as core rights like health care, education, food and shelter. It spends hundreds of billions of dollars a year on social safety supports that are a major reason millions of people want to move to the northern nation.

But key parts of its safety net are fraying — in some cases badly. In 2013, Canada ranked 13th out of 170 countries in meeting the basic needs of citizens, according to data tracked by Social Progress Imperative. By 2023, it had fallen to 39th, in large part because of a lack of affordable housing.

“Looking back 50 years ago, Canada had a relatively robust social safety net,” reads a 2023 report from Food Banks Canada on rising food insecurity. But spending cuts in the 1980s and 1990s, along with a move to put more responsibility for economic and social well-being on the shoulders of individuals, caused low-income Canadians to fall further behind, the report says. “Today, we are left with a social safety net that is filled with holes and that allows millions of people in Canada to fall through it.”

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

where's the deranged boat guy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

tristeham posted:

where's the deranged boat guy
he got ran out and mostly posts in D&D and BFC these days. i wouldn't call him deranged compared to actually deranged goons: just sadly a true dyed-in-blue liberal believer. i always hoped he'd see the light of the plutocracy, he got close at times but alas... 'twas not meant to be

but yes this would be the one time he could be informative

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the stevedore told me the dry weight bulk goods boats are hosed

there ya go

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

drat gonna get so bad in Canada they’re gonna come across the border, watch out Michigan

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sounds like a job for MAID

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

he got ran out and mostly posts in D&D and BFC these days. i wouldn't call him deranged compared to actually deranged goons: just sadly a true dyed-in-blue liberal believer. i always hoped he'd see the light of the plutocracy, he got close at times but alas... 'twas not meant to be

but yes this would be the one time he could be informative

too busy counting all the containers with batteries for building millions of electric cars or some bullshit

have faith

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Business Gorillas posted:

If you want premium produce, here's a trick:

Walk into the store and pick it out yourself. You're already there!!!

Agree entirely. However, sometimes it is much more convenient to not bring my 5 and 2 year old into a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Xaris posted:

good. death to canada https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2024-canada-services-benefits-data/

Canada has long prided itself on its social programs, meant to reduce poverty and equalize access to what are seen as core rights like health care, education, food and shelter. It spends hundreds of billions of dollars a year on social safety supports that are a major reason millions of people want to move to the northern nation.

It's like everyone loving forgets the early 90's.

The vibes persisted far longer than the actual material conditions.

e: The deranged manifesto Liz Truss and co wrote about their future Tory Britain cited Canada in the 90's specifically (a whole chapter) as how to crush liberalism and the social safety net.