Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Regarde Aduck posted:

isn't it only the US where apple has a huge market share, it's like 20%-30% everywhere else?

I think it's a fair bit higher than that everywhere. I suspect in the West especially and even higher in english speaking countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

isn't it only the US where apple has a huge market share, it's like 20%-30% everywhere else?

every now and then I see an argument about iPhones and "green bubbles" and how there's a severe problem with interoperability between Android and iOS when it comes to messaging and I can't relate because it just never happens here. Since too many people use Androids, even the people who own iPhones do all their messaging through Facebook Messenger, or Viber, or Telegram, and so iMessage gets left by the wayside and no such problems exist.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nah, back in my dating days, it mattered to grad students if you had blue bubbles when you traded numbers.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
TIL there is a country called Jersey, uhh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It's one of the Channel Islands.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why does iOS have 99.5% market share in dprk????

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

In Training posted:

there's no way that is accurate lol

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHz-l8xHgio

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

In Training posted:

It could be a data collection error, like there is only one reported NK ip or something.

I looked around and found an old 2020 article that said top 3 NK phone brands are all North Korean brands, so I assume all dumb phones and android phones in domestic brands.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

In Training posted:

the despotic kim regime forces it on the people of north korea. what other horrors could they be perpetrating...?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Most of those places are tax shelters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the DPRK is communist but they all use iPhones MADE IN CHINA?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

In Training posted:

Kim Jong Un bought a Pixel but didn't like it and so he bought 199 iPhones

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

juche is when everyone gets iPhone

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

kinda, it's just a tiny Island between France and the UK that would normally just be part of the UK but it's a tax haven so its technically its own country. It's just legalism nonsense and they're mostly known for collaborating with the Germans in ww2

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

My father complained at one point that vegetables in the Brezhnev era had so much nitrate in them that they would cause cancer and that people would have to buy edible vegetables on the black market or something like that.

this raises the question of where exactly these non-nitrated vegetables are coming from, especially in sufficient quantities to be competitive with the legal market

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

this raises the question of where exactly these non-nitrated vegetables are coming from, especially in sufficient quantities to be competitive with the legal market

The West obviously, must have been packed in with all the grain sales in the 70s and 80s

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Regarde Aduck posted:

they're mostly known for collaborating with the Germans in ww2

i would like to know more about this

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Megamissen posted:

i would like to know more about this

They were occupied by the Nazis shortly after the fall of France because they're closer to France than England.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Most of those places are tax shelters.

Now I'm looking up DPRK tax treaties

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

CODChimera posted:

for real though, anyone know a decent place to get neutral updates and maps?

Suriyak maps for maps

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
People in the west are unable to grasp that things here are poo poo because of reasons that are entirely our own faults, instead it has to be sinister Russian sabotage.

I want to bring up a recent example from my own country. A train carrying iron ore along an important rail line derailed and the news were quick to point at the Russians:

https://www.nrk.no/nordland/ofotbanen-stengt-igjen-_-blir-etterforsket-som-sabotasje-1.16779974

quote:

Researcher about possible sabotage on the Ofot line: - A targeted signal to deter us

The Ofot line can be a favored target for strangling, among other things, Norwegian industry. - They can target our interests without triggering Article 5, says a researcher at the Norwegian Naval Academy.

A month later it became clear that the Norwegian railway network agency had known that there was a problem with this rail line for a long time but just hadn't fixed it lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Bot 02 posted:

People in the west are unable to grasp that things here are poo poo because of reasons that are entirely our own faults, instead it has to be sinister Russian sabotage.

I want to bring up a recent example from my own country. A train carrying iron ore along an important rail line derailed and the news were quick to point at the Russians:

https://www.nrk.no/nordland/ofotbanen-stengt-igjen-_-blir-etterforsket-som-sabotasje-1.16779974

A month later it became clear that the Norwegian railway network agency had known that there was a problem with this rail line for a long time but just hadn't fixed it lol

tor ivar strømmen, the officer quoted in this article, is one of the most rational of our military commentators btw

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Havana syndrome microwave laser is real and more powerful than anyone has guessed

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is the bridge the first confirmed mortality from Havana syndrome? Inquiring minds want to know

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
us shipping havana bad time recently

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Somebody from Langley drove over to test their new "Baltimore syndrome" energy weapon?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Starsfan posted:

The fact that the proposed timeline for the procurement and the delivery of the shells keeps getting moved back should raise some eyebrows.. originally they were supposed to start arriving near the beginning of March if I remember correctly

Still.. they announced a dollar amount so maybe there is something there

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.
The Soyuz landing zone has since become an artillery shell storage for the African Union. In order to move the shells and facilitate Major Abacha Tunde's return we need your assistance.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Politico EU

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-needs-to-be-more-open-about-sharing-battlefield-truths-says-us-diplomat-james-rubin/

Ukraine needs to open up about hard truths from battlefield, US diplomat says
BY ANNE MCELVOY AND PETER SNOWDON
MARCH 28, 2024 6:45 AM CET

A senior U.S. diplomat responsible for countering disinformation says Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy should be more open to disclosing information about the state of the war in Ukraine.

The advice comes as fighting intensifies amid Russian gains in key areas and waning international focus on the conflict.

James Rubin leads the U.S. State Department’s Global Engagement Center, which highlights propaganda and disinformation efforts by hostile states and other actors targeting America and its allies around the world. Talking to POLITICO’s Power Play podcast, Rubin said “sometimes the Ukrainian government may resist the kind of freedom of information that’s normal for us.

Some days, war reporters report things that aren’t necessarily in the interest of Volodymyr Zelenskyy,” he continued. “But in a democracy that we hope and increasingly see Ukraine becoming … they can understand that having war reporters cover the war, even if occasionally there’s bad news, is a far better life than the controlled environment that Russia has placed on all of its people.”

While Ukrainian and Western journalists have pressed for greater access to the front lines, authorities in Kyiv have limited reporting from sensitive zones in the conflict and have denied a stronger role for state broadcasting, on the grounds that the restrictions serve to stifle Russian disinformation campaigns.

Rubin, however, suggested that better access would strengthen Ukraine’s urgent case for more help from its allies. He added that while the country is “moving in the right direction,” it is not yet “a fully fledged democracy” — with some adverse consequences for the flow of information...

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Bot 02 posted:

lmfao

from sweden earlier this year:

quote:

The derailments on the Malmbanan - now Säpo is connected
Updated February 27, 2024 Published February 27, 2024

The ore line has been hit by two train derailments in Vassijaure in a short time. The police are investigating the case under the criminal classification of suspected sabotage and Säpo is also involved.

Already at the first of the two recent train clock derailments on Malmbanan, in December, the police opened an investigation into suspected sabotage.

- These are quite serious events that affect the infrastructure quite significantly, says Karin Markaberg, head of section at the police in Norrbotten and explains that it is a routine measure.

It is unclear whether a crime has been committed

If it is the case that there is something to indicate that it is actually sabotage, Karin Markaberg cannot say
a.–

At present, we have not come so far that we can say anything. But we don't have anything that concretely points to that, says Markaberg.
The security police engaged

SVT has spoken to Säpo, which confirms that it is cooperating with the police regarding the latest derailment.

- In general, we cooperate closely and often, so also regarding the derailment on the Malmbanan, says Gabriel Wärnstedt, press spokesperson at Säpo.

this derailment happened just 10 days after it'd been down for a while because of another derailment

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 11:49 on Mar 28, 2024

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Russia will not attack Nato countries, Putin says

quote:

Russia has no designs on any Nato country and will not attack Poland, the Baltic states or the Czech Republic but if the west supplies F-16 fighters to Ukraine then they will be shot down by Russian forces, president Vladimir Putin said late on Wednesday, reports news agency Reuters.

Speaking to Russian air force pilots, Putin said the US-led military alliance had expanded eastwards towards Russia since the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union but that Moscow had no plans to attack a Nato state.

“We have no aggressive intentions towards these states,” Putin said, according to a Kremlin transcript released on Thursday.

“The idea that we will attack some other country – Poland, the Baltic States, and the Czechs are also being scared – is complete nonsense. It’s just drivel.”

Thank you president Putin for your commitment to restraint and peace

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

Ardennes posted:

The big complaint is usually cars (which are priced in international terms) and electronics, in particular, usually people have to buy a budget Chinese phone rather than the latest iphone.

To be fair, I live in a "rich" country and I still have to have a budget Chinese phone (not an export one, budget on the Chinese market) because they're better than the more expensive brands and money is tight. $300 a month rent would be heaven for me.

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

Telluric Whistler posted:

Very high market share (50%+) in Anglo and Nordic countries, plus Taiwan and HK if you break them out as markets

It's basically a luxury good and you could probably find similar correlation for like... BMW/Tesla ownership or per capita consumption of Fiji/Evian/San Pellegrino

I think there's also absolutely bonkers numbers (90%+) in Pacific islands but similar to why 85% of cars there are Priuses it's likely because they're the market for 3rd generation refurbished goods
Is Fiji considered luxury water? I had a lot of it a few years ago and thought it was just Dasani tap water crap

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
From the UK's Times:

(Paywalled) https://archive.is/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/its-time-we-talked-about-the-fall-of-kyiv-6l3vrxbhf

quote:

It’s time we talked about the fall of Kyiv

Far from this being a frozen conflict, a nightmare scenario is edging into view because the West is failing to send arms

It is July and the Russian army is at the gates of Kyiv. President Zelensky delivers an emergency broadcast to repeat his defiant words, first uttered in February 2022, that he does not need a ride out of Ukraine. No, he needs ammunition to stay and fight the Russians.

If only the West had listened and done more when the brave Ukrainians were pleading for help, that might have made the difference. While the allies squabbled and the United States eventually provided another $60 billion in aid, as spring turned to summer, Putin’s troops broke through the lines in the south and east. Retreating Ukrainian forces were able only to slow the advance. When the Russians closed in on the capital, a new wave of refugees fled Ukraine seeking safety from incessant bombardment.

This is the nightmare scenario now being contemplated by western policymakers. Events are forcing military and civilian leaders in London, Washington, Paris and Brussels to map out the catastrophic collapse of Ukrainian forces denied the weapons and munitions they need.

Contrary to the predominant view that this is a perpetual “frozen conflict”, with neither side able to win a decisive advantage, the front line is bitterly contested and there is a real risk of Ukrainian forces being pushed back. Nato leaders must hope their gathering in Washington in July for a summit celebrating the 75th anniversary of the alliance is not consumed by such a crisis.

Only a year ago, it was all very different. The hope then was of a Ukrainian spring offensive that would reclaim territory. That didn’t work and, as the American magazine Foreign Affairs put it this week, “Ukraine is bleeding. Without new US military assistance, Ukrainian ground forces may not be able to hold the line against a relentless Russian military.”

The governments who support Ukraine most strongly are clearly worried and considering even the worst scenarios. The US Treasury secretary, Janet Yellen, has issued several warnings that Ukraine is running out of money, while urging Congress to pass the aid bill that is stuck amid legislative infighting. The US risked being responsible for Ukraine’s defeat, she said.

A Russian advance would obviously be disastrous for the Ukrainians. It would also confront the West with all manner of tough challenges. Would the allies send troops to defend Kyiv? President Macron has clearly sensed the danger and is trying to steer the West towards a more muscular approach by raising the possibility of ground troops. Other countries, such as Germany, strongly object. When will the message be finally understood that peace for European populations is guaranteed only by strength? When Ukraine falls and Putin moves on to menacing the Baltics, Poland, Finland, Sweden or Norway?

No one who is a supporter of Ukrainian self-determination against Russian barbarism wants this nightmare scenario to come true. Yet the stakes are so high. We have to be aware of the terrible price of defeat.
I’m for maximum military support on the basis that Ukraine must win. The consequences of a partial or complete defeat would be calamitous in ways western populations have barely begun to understand. But we have a lazy habit in the comfortable West — away from Europe’s front line in east and south Ukraine — of wishful thinking and being unprepared for bad surprises.

Indeed, the Russian invasion of Ukraine was a surprise to most countries. The US and British governments ran a public campaign in the run-up to warn their allies. Few listened, apart from Finland, Poland and the Baltic states, where they know what it means to live next door to an expansionist Russia. Elsewhere, it was fashionable to dismiss this as the Americans and the Brits getting it wrong again. Remember Iraq?

Ahead of Ukraine, the Biden administration was scarred by having failed to foresee the instant collapse of the Afghan government in August 2021 when US forces left. Then the early phases of the war produced another extraordinary surprise. Zelensky’s refusal to leave Kyiv demonstrated the power of the individual in history to set an example of resistance that is followed by his fellow citizens.

Those are three enormous surprises in less than three years and it can happen again. Yet, weary western public opinion appears to have settled into a view that although we’re helping the Ukrainians to defend their homeland, they are stuck in an impossible stalemate before what is most likely to be some kind of “peace” deal fixing the current lines of combat. And then we can think about something else.

Polling conducted by the European Council on Foreign Relations in January in 12 countries suggested that only 10 per cent of voters think Ukraine can win. Some 37 per cent thought that a compromise was most likely and 19.5 per cent thought that Russia would win in the end.

Scenarios other than military defeat are available, of course. There could be a coup in Russia or a newly elected President Trump might seek to impose a ceasefire and de facto Ukrainian surrender. Perhaps Ukraine holds on and Europe gets its act together, using the clout of a GDP ten times bigger than Russia with a population three and a half times larger.

As it is, we are in danger of losing sight of one of the main lessons of Ukraine’s war. Retreating to the post-Cold War complacency about European security is not an option. We need to think entirely differently about how dangerous the threats are, arm ourselves accordingly, prepare for the worst and at best hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if kyiv falls can we all go back to calling it Kiev

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

Leandros posted:

Kim Jong Un bought a Pixel but didn't like it and so he bought 199 iPhones

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if kyiv falls can we all go back to calling it Kiev

all those restaurants that changed their menu to chicken kyiv are gonna look so stupid

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

What are you going to arm yourself with, The West? fidelity 401k’s with a 2% pay matching scheme? Gonna send in western grant writing advisors from American liberal arts colleges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

all those restaurants that changed their menu to chicken kyiv are gonna look so stupid

still waiting on my local restaurant to change the peking duck to beijing duck