Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Here are some hobbies that everyone should consider:

- gardening
- learning a new language
- weightlifting
- going on walks in nature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

FizFashizzle posted:

Watching Fox News all day is obviously going to make mood and cognition worse, but it’s also a symptom of depression itself.

The boomer generation is completely hosed without going to a job every day; it’s why they won’t retire.

Ours understands work life balance a little better, and I don’t think by the time we hit retirement we’ll be the largest cohort of undiagnosed depression. Still, gotta have hobbies.

If your parents are getting up there, try to get them involved in something. My dad plays 90 holes of golf a week.

my retired father in law is addicted to any anti trump news on tv and when he visits I have to set up a station for him in the basement so he can listen to this at max volume. like every conversation is just parroting talking heads news and when I interject with an outside analysis it’s like whoosh. then my spouse gets irritated because”we talk past each other”.

thankfully he seems immune to money scams because he’s super aloof about everything else but trump

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

You can also watch TV while riding a stationary bike at a super low setting

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sonatinas posted:

thankfully he seems immune to money scams because he’s super aloof about everything else but trump

check his financials for dnc contributions, the biggest money scam of all

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

The Oldest Man posted:

check his financials for dnc contributions, the biggest money scam of all

lol he does volunteer a lot at the local dem party…

selec
Sep 6, 2003

you can buy a really cheap akai USB drum pad interface and sign up for Melodics free, and learn to finger drum. you will be able to do some cool rear end poo poo, it also functions as a memory and coordination game. plus u can make beats, and get some art made. that always feels good.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

- gardening
- weightlifting

No

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

- gardening
- weightlifting

those are all
good also : yoga and meditation and cooking good food and loving people

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

A bunch of people I know retired out of the military after 20 years (so they're 38), got the VA disability added on top of their pension, and then immediately started new careers.

Like, 6,000 dollars a month of free money for life isn't enough (and free, decent medical care)? Gotta go work 60 hours a week and never be home.

So many of my coworkers are like this, mostly from the navy nuke programs, and they still complain about money somehow. Insane behavior.

My Dad was so allergic to free time that he started farming for fun decades ago, and now that he's retired he just grows blueberries and cows. Seems like an okay way to go

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

Kind of annoyed that they picked a picture of him where he basically just looks like a Jewish caricature from Nazi propaganda

that's all his pics, though, just like all of caroline ellison's make her look harry potter-adjacent.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Complaining is a hobby and it owns.

thats facts

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
You could take up the fun and rewarding hobby of philately.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

that's all his pics, though, just like all of caroline ellison's make her look harry potter-adjacent.

can’t wait to see what kind of influencer she ends up being

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fats posted:

So many of my coworkers are like this, mostly from the navy nuke programs, and they still complain about money somehow. Insane behavior.

My Dad was so allergic to free time that he started farming for fun decades ago, and now that he's retired he just grows blueberries and cows. Seems like an okay way to go

I fuckin love highland cattle

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

- gardening
- weightlifting

most of my retired friends have done the first & the last, plus:

* picked up lucrative dog-walking & dog-boarding gigs

* volunteered at the meals on wheels service that delivers to me each week or for helping migrants

* golfing, swimming, pickleball, bowling

* attending lectures, going to museums, attending concerts

most of them would love to be hands-on grannies, but most also waited to have their children till they were in their mid- to late-30s. When their kids were starting to establish long-term relationships the pandemic hit, so that delayed a lot of wedding & baby-having plans.

a couple of my friends who had kids young are almost great-grands, though, and helped raise their grandchildren.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
a lot of olds have lost their mental filter and just repeat whatever is on their mind constantly. a bad mix when combined with cable news. happens to many posters.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

not too many travel bugs around my age anymore; covid took out cruising, which sucked anyway, and prices are insane these days for traveling to europe or asia from the u.s.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

- gardening
- weightlifting

- sports gambling, which has never been easier to get into

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

drugs contribute also. if you sit down in front of the tv and feel good because of the opiates/weed coursing through your body, you're going to feel good about whatever you're watching, and your brain is going to form a link between watching Jen Psaki and feeling good, and then it's all over.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I don't think about retirement stuff because I'll never make it there anyways.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Willa Rogers posted:

covid took out cruising, which sucked anyway,

I was going to get extremely mad at this and then I realized you meant the lame kind of cruising.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

net work error posted:

you will if you hit some excellent parlays

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I put 3 bux on Carlos Sainz to win the Australian GP and it just proved to me I should've bet harder.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

- sports gambling, which has never been easier to get into

if you do what you love youll never work a day in your life

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

net work error posted:

Have fun staying poor

*dumps all savings into GME*

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

drugs contribute also. if you sit down in front of the tv and feel good because of the opiates/weed coursing through your body, you're going to feel good about whatever you're watching, and your brain is going to form a link between watching Jen Psaki and feeling good, and then it's all over.

lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

net work error posted:

It can be fun to fantasize though, similar to imagining what you'd do if you win the lottery

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

net work error posted:

It sucks because I'm risk averse enough that I can't not save for retirement even though I'm pretty sure I won't have to quit before 75 and at that point climate change/biosphere collapse/fascism will make life not worth living.

:shrug:

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I'm counting on the lottery. Powerball is $935 million. Get them tickets, folks.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'd just end up alone in a retirement home so fuckit, work til I die wrenching on Lord Humungus' truck

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

He right

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
We need to stop abusing chemicals natural or unnatural

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

when im in the home ill just fire up skyrim and keep the psilocybin pump going.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Fats posted:

this is cool and all but my dads a retired physics teacher so his cows are perfectly spherical and graze in a frictionless vaccuum

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

netizen posted:

I'm counting on the lottery. Powerball is $935 million. Get them tickets, folks.

The closest I've ever been to true financial freedom was the time between learning that the winning mega millions ticket was sold in my state and checking my actual ticket.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

thinking about getting a fish tank

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

eating rear end, busting rear end, dying of rear end

the millennial story

:hai:

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

dew worm posted:

thinking about getting a fish tank

I got myself a 10 gallon with some guppies. It was nice for a while but the light timer malfunctioned and left the light on 13 hours a day and now I've got a green water outbreak and a bunch of my pretty plants withered. I've kept fish before and it can be a nice hobby, but it often devolves into a chore once something malfunctions or you get lazy.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mr Hootington posted:

We need to stop abusing chemicals natural or unnatural

fossil fuels are the worst addiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

a chemical will never again enter this bloodstream. nothing but h2o for me thanks.