Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I can't believe all of USAs cargo traffic went over a single bridge in Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
sounds like a good excuse to make Elon Musk tunnels

WAIT A MINUTE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Athas posted:

I can't believe all of USAs cargo traffic went over a single bridge in Baltimore.

Yea there are hard truths in this life gonna have to grow up some time.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Athas posted:

It may be not all lost though. The Lewis & Clark inland expedition sent a missive via friendly injun couriers, and in the hinterland territories north and west of Baltimore they have apparently uncovered a hitherto unknown alternate I-695 route.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is this that scene where a boat drives onto a crowded beach?

Other than they both have boats how in the gently caress is that “eerily close”?

lmao these people are ill

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Don't be foolish, nobody would be desperate enough to get goods delivered to waiting Americans to risk braving the frontier challenge of driving an extra 10 miles. They've cut us off. CUT US OFF!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hazo posted:

Is this that scene where a boat drives onto a crowded beach?

Other than they both have boats how in the gently caress is that “eerily close”?

lmao these people are ill

you just arent thinking hard enough

also... the key bridge? and terrorists target key infrastructure?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Earwicker posted:

you just arent thinking hard enough

also... the key bridge? and terrorists target key infrastructure?

And with boats that travel in the sea... C... for Catwoman!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They are playing bridge in a hotel room.
:golfclap:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Log082 posted:

And with boats that travel in the sea... C... for Catwoman!

Seriously. 1960s Batman detective thinking was meant to be amusingly puerile, not a playbook.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

More important would be getting rid of the pylons. Have they tried hanging the bridge from zeppelins that are themselves tethered to the ground?
That's just trading one problem for another. If you did that, you wouldn't be able to build enough dragoons to defend against a zerg or terran push

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea but I do love a dragoon.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm seeing the conspiracy loons now noticing the eclectics shorting along the top screaming that they can see explosive charges being detonated along the top of the bridge, as if it would have needed assistance in collapsing after the main support was hosed.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
preparing myself for the inevitable flood of loose change 2 truthers to infest my family's brains hooray

cumpantry posted:

easter dinner gonna rule

100000x

Mudlark fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 28, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

easter dinner gonna rule

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

wesleywillis posted:

Isn't the mason dixon line east-west?
Also yeah I guess the people can't just drive a few miles out of the way and get to the other side of the harbour.

So I guess she's right, country completely divided. Thanks JFK.

The line is east-west, dividing the country into a north and a south

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I was looking for a clip from one of the local TV stations (and regretting that I no longer have a way to record OTA TV on my computer) and came across a story from last Friday where the coast guard was seeking help in identifying someone sending false mayday calls. Since this is a Real thing that Actually Happened of course none of the :tinfoil: nuts have latched onto it.

https://twitter.com/uscgmidatlantic/status/1770882486618222779

But given everything we know about the timeline it would've only taken a little bit of delay (like radioing back to confirm) on forwarding the information to the transit police to make a difference. That almost certainly didn't happen here, but it really puts emphasis on how tight the window was to get the construction crew off the bridge - if this moron had been broadcasting a fake distress call around the same time even dispatching the information could've been delayed and they might not have been able to stop traffic in time.

New video from this guy today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alpaDfnT-Bk

Mostly aligns with what I've been thinking re: clearing the channel - you don't have to completely remove the bridge to get the channel open, there's already some assets nearby that can help with the salvage operations, and if someone pushes for it they could have the channel open in a couple of weeks. Also new to me was the news that the ship was partially grounded, not sure if anyone knows if that's going to make a big difference in the recovery timeline.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Gentlemen, fire the boats!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Incompetence warfare. We need our dumbest people to do the stupidest thing to our enemies!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shannow posted:

I'm seeing the conspiracy loons now noticing the eclectics shorting along the top screaming that they can see explosive charges being detonated along the top of the bridge, as if it would have needed assistance in collapsing after the main support was hosed.

laughable.

i am actually an expert in specifically this type of boat-bridge collision as well as mason-dixonian shipping logistics and i assure you, it would be categorically impossible for an "accident" of this type to occur without the involvement of demons and the lizard people.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

If the lizard people and the demons are cooperating a bridge is the least of our concerns.

We should be moving to secure our warm rocks and strategic virgin sacrifice supplies.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The internet really was a mistake and I don't think it's been a net good for society

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

The internet really was a mistake and I don't think it's been a net good for society

We crossed the point of no return with MySpace and social media where everyone is just all in one big group.

If you still had to learn how to set up a personal website to share your views it'd be an impenetrable barrier to most whackjobs.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

We crossed the point of no return with MySpace and social media where everyone is just all in one big group.

If you still had to learn how to set up a personal website to share your views it'd be an impenetrable barrier to most whackjobs.

Someone's never read timecube

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

lol yes geocities was notorious for being full of completely sane websites and an utter lack of whackjobs, basic html is clearly an impenetrable barrier conspiracy theorists cannot cross :rolleyes:

naem
May 29, 2011

people attach their real names and faces on social media now instead of a smoking chipmunk and it’s been all downhill since

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

naem posted:

people attach their real names and faces on social media now instead of a smoking chipmunk and it’s been all downhill since

you're just saying this to throw off the trail but its too late, everyone knows you actually are a smoking chipmunk irl

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Earwicker posted:

lol yes geocities was notorious for being full of completely sane websites and an utter lack of whackjobs, basic html is clearly an impenetrable barrier conspiracy theorists cannot cross :rolleyes:

Yeah but they were mostly funny grandpa yelling about 8 dimensional bathrooms was good for a sensible chuckle, grandpa storming a pizza place looking for slave children is less so

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

naem posted:

Oh, here I was thinking it was a sabertooth chipmunk like in Ice Age

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yeah but they were mostly funny grandpa yelling about 8 dimensional bathrooms was good for a sensible chuckle, grandpa storming a pizza place looking for slave children is less so

true but i dont think html is whats making the difference

also not sure where this "grandpa" stuff is coming from, the dude who stormed the pizza place is in his 20s.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://x.com/waltermasterson/status/1773087741695148301?s=20

Checkmate, libs

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

100 tons tho!

that's like 4 full shipping containers.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Someone's never read timecube

no we have all read time cube the point is gene ray was an outlier, someone who went to the trouble and labor to post when it required trouble and labor

now that everyone can be a loud crank with web sites that make money off of loud cranks, it's not as special

private money fucks something good up once again

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

frumpykvetchbot posted:

100 tons tho!

that's like 4 full shipping containers.

Literally.

At least the CEO is getting out in front of it before we they bury it like the January 6th plot (of course by which I mean the Missippi flag referendum)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Has anyone said that if Baltimore had been a Russian city it would now be called blyat-imore?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

wesleywillis posted:

Has anyone said that if Baltimore had been a Russian city it would now be called blyat-imore?

Suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat cyka

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat cyka

What is cyka? Is that some sort of woke pronoun?

I'll have you know that it was Dr wokensteins like you that caused this disaster in the first place

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Athas posted:

Could blockchain solve this?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I8F7GZnERNU&si=zn9hl4-NBL3LfXn5&t=34

It did not.

Ps we had to have a meeting on our bridge where they forced the entire crew to stand there and watch this entire video. Should’ve scuttled the ship there and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mr Teatime posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I8F7GZnERNU&si=zn9hl4-NBL3LfXn5&t=34

It did not.

Ps we had to have a meeting on our bridge where they forced the entire crew to stand there and watch this entire video. Should’ve scuttled the ship there and then.

Have you considered boating less poorly?