Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

I have no debt. I have no kids. My partner and I are gainfully employed full time.

And I'm still looking at the insane rents like they're the Sword of Damocles. I can foresee all my savings being eaten up just for the privilege of living indoors.

Same, plus there is just zero margin for even 1 person losing a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Americans also have to drive everywhere to do anything.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I feel like everyone I know has a story that's some variation of "I went out with some work people and it cost me $100 and now I don't do that anymore."

I think it's just that as you get older people self-select into groups a little more aggressively and the group that doesn't value just generically going out looks flaky because they don't want to openly say it's too expensive/they don't want to.

at my last call center job several years ago all nine of us made it through the five week training and they decided they wanted to go to one of the many corporate-park style bars nearby to celebrate

I bought the first round , hung around another half hour and left

two months later every single one of us was fired or quit

skaboomizzy has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Mar 29, 2024

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

I think the topic is interesting but yes I think this is definitely a component. I also think there's a few thing. also, media has trained Americans, and particularly dangerously things like YouTube and instantgratification, cooking/craft competition shows/etc, is that americans expect themselves to suddenly be as good as people they try to emulate and get frustrated whenever their hobbies don't turn out Pinterestagrammable Perfect on the first try or aren't showing gratification-level improvement quickly enough.

To be fair, this attitude runs very deep, goes way beyond hobbies, and is probably damaging in a huge range of ways. It's just an extension of the weird stereotypes about being smart/talented that crop up in pretty much all media. If you know how to do a thing then you've always known how to do it and, more importantly, you clearly didn't have to work or practice and it's all very easy for you. Wasting time on anything that you aren't immediately good at is never worth it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, this attitude runs very deep, goes way beyond hobbies, and is probably damaging in a huge range of ways. It's just an extension of the weird stereotypes about being smart/talented that crop up in pretty much all media. If you know how to do a thing then you've always known how to do it and, more importantly, you clearly didn't have to work or practice and it's all very easy for you. Wasting time on anything that you aren't immediately good at is never worth it.
yeah that's definitely true. the internet multi-media entertainment was a mistake.

although I'm always a bit facetious and half-joking when I say it, I do think the advent of television/digital media/internet has been irreparably putting out 999999-points of psychic damage onto the past several 4+ generations in many insideous ways.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Mar 29, 2024

Morbus
May 18, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

This statement seems like it has the potential to mislead people into thinking the key bridge was an outlier. The vast majority of bridges are probably just several feet long or some concrete structure going over farmer jim bob’s creek or whatever, not spanning a long enough distance to require a complex fracture critical truss system. I’d like to know the proportion of bridges spanning an equivalent distance as the key bridge that are fracture critical, because it’s probably more than 3%.

There are only like 18,000 fracture critical bridges in the US, nbd

in Louisiana something like 1 in 4 bridges is lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Paradoxish posted:

This reminds me of a lot of boomer brain and how they suck at and/or outright refuse to teach their kids anything, including family trades and basic life skills, because they don't understand learning as a process and think knowledge should be absorbed via osmosis or spontaneously generated.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

yeah that's definitely true. the internet multi-media entertainment was a mistake.

although I'm always a bit facetious and half-joking when I say it, I do think the advent of television/digital media/internet has been irreparably putting out 999999-points of psychic damage onto the past several 4+ generations in many insideous ways.

I think about this whenever I see people fawning over some insane prodigy kid who's making the rounds on talk shows or whatever. 100% of the focus is placed on the concept of natural talent/genius and 0% on the fact that these poor kids have probably effectively had full time jobs since they could walk.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

I think about this whenever I see people fawning over some insane prodigy kid who's making the rounds on talk shows or whatever. 100% of the focus is placed on the concept of natural talent/genius and 0% on the fact that these poor kids have probably effectively had full time jobs since they could walk.
It's the same thing with Pinterestagram influencers and stuff too, it's a facade, a simulacra. It's always a specifically curated artifice envious experience to be consumed in as what I can only describe as parasocial voyeurism. The Normal Person does not have immaculate lily white spotless kitchens with well-behaved perfect mormon kids and constantly taking vacations to Bali in immaculate resorts or experiencing all these completely spherical frictionless outings and perfect dinners before going sleepy-bye-bye, oh and here's this beauty product that will totally transform your life into mine! Coupon code below 👇👇

But really you can extend it to most everything in media, from how people appear to relate to each other in social settings, from how successful the other appears, from how good we think people should be at X, etc.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why they put the frie man in jail he didn't do anything wrong. Perfect commodity trades, very legal disclaimers.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xaris posted:

peep dat weight

Cereal is the biggest scam now. I just get some oats from winco now.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

dew worm posted:

Shrimp seem pretty cool but they will breed, right?

Amano shrimp haver here. They don't breed in freshwater. You have to do a difficult song and dance of slowly increasing the salinity into your tank, since in nature the only place Amano shrimp will breed is in salty water. But if it's too salty the eggs won't hatch either. Finally, after they hatch you have to decrease the salinity slowly. Nearly all of the Amano shrimp you see in pet stores were caught from nature and not bred in captivity.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
A whole bunch of Amano shrimp might be too much for a 10 or 20 gallon. They're a pretty big shrimp.

Get you some snails instead if you're looking for a cleanup crew for a 10 or 20 gallon.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

err posted:

gruel is underrated and very ftw. good choice, gruel is my breakfast most days

also lol. shareholder reports are funny as hell

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
love to do revenue growth management initiatives resulting in favorable price/mix adjustments

if i reduce volume by 10% but get a 10% increase in profits... alex, what is CPI

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
crapflation ftw

quote:

The new sauce is thinner, less red, and has no tomato chunks. When I read the ingredients, the new one has far less olive oil and chunky tomatoes, and water is listed higher up on the ingredient list. There are now “less than 2%” of some of the original ingredients. You can see how different they look.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

netizen posted:

A whole bunch of Amano shrimp might be too much for a 10 or 20 gallon. They're a pretty big shrimp.

Get you some snails instead if you're looking for a cleanup crew for a 10 or 20 gallon.

I love snails but man they poo poo uncontrollably.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Discretionary spending, such as groceries, are not included in the CPI formula.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

err posted:

I switched to oatmeal. I make a big batch on Sunday, and it lasts me all week. All of the cereal convenience, none of the insane prices.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it feels like everyone on earth is having an existential crisis

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

loving Honolulu in there at exactly $300k.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Stereotype posted:

it feels like everyone on earth is having an existential crisis

going to burning man this year?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My pay has doubled since before covid so my broad assumption is that inflate has doubled everything since before covid.

I'm sure everyone else has gotten similar respective increases in wages across all industries.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Asproigerosis posted:

My pay has doubled since before covid so my broad assumption is that inflate has doubled everything since before covid.

I'm sure everyone else has gotten similar respective increases in wages across all industries.

https://i.imgur.com/KBtYmqX.mp4

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My point was that inflation is wildly out of control and the leeches in power refuse to let anyone think otherwise.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Xaris posted:

I think the topic is interesting but yes I think this is definitely a component. I think it's a combination of a lot of things. also, media has trained Americans, and particularly dangerous things like YouTube and instantgratification, cooking/craft competition shows/etc, is that americans expect themselves to suddenly be as good as people they try to emulate and get frustrated whenever their hobbies don't turn out Pinterestagrammable Perfect on the first try or aren't showing gratification-level improvement quickly enough.

I started doing pottery about 4 years ago and I still suck rear end at it but very slowly creeping toward gitting gud (but very very slowly cuz i don't practice nearly enough, which is on me). in that same time-frame, I've seen so many other beginners show up and wash out after not immediately delivering great british bakeoff or whatever stuff

so yes, cost, alienation, lack of skill, lack of feeling good about lack of skill, depression-level self-loathing to not even try, etc all adds up.

I will say out of most of the first world-countries (or even otherwise), Americans writ-large seem to be the least talented dullard group of people i've ever met. well okay, maybe brits are worse or tied.

Partner taps this on laminated printout whenever I ponder how she does an art and gets paid for it while I schlep about a lab all day.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Anyway, the premium consumer is doing fine.

https://x.com/yeemilyee/status/1772595422386655364?s=46&t=CkxUTFewBhsxPVoqA_wgtQ

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Do not be like the foolish Esau, who was hungry and sold his birthright for a bowl of soup

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What if someone made chewy, but for the premium consumer?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Animal-Mother posted:

I have no debt. I have no kids. My partner and I are gainfully employed full time.

And I'm still looking at the insane rents like they're the Sword of Damocles. I can foresee all my savings being eaten up just for the privilege of living indoors.

have u tried fleeing the country, op? works for me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Asproigerosis posted:

mine too but i dont live in america. ymmv

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

way back a million years ago when it was new, a woman in china sold a kidney for an iphone 4

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

tristeham posted:

going to burning man this year?

hell yeah

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

skaboomizzy posted:

there was a little bit of that but he just went off the rails and spent tens of thousands at a strip club, on more lottery tickets, drugs, booze, his granddaughter got some of his money and spent it to OD on drugs, there was some business about him building a brand new church that went bad, etc

I mean imagine winning that much money and trying to just keep doing same old same old. what a loving moron.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Raccooon posted:

There has to be a CEO that came up through some sort of engineering department right?

No. In America you go to business school to be a manager. It's like going to school for oil painting and after graduation you get to tell actual artists how to paint. It's a loving insane system. If you're like me and worked for billable-hour joints you will never get promoted if they can bill you out close to 100% of the time.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This reminds me of a lot of boomer brain and how they suck at and/or outright refuse to teach their kids anything, including family trades and basic life skills, because they don't understand learning as a process and think knowledge should be absorbed via osmosis or spontaneously generated.

this x1000

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

crapflation ftw

i always thought jarred pizza and marinara sauce was disgusting but lol that they are actually watering that vile poo poo down

i know everyone is time poor but it’s another thing that can be made at home for a fraction of the price and a small time investment

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kreeningsons posted:

i know everyone is time poor but it’s another thing that can be made at home for a fraction of the price and a small time investment

My friend, let me introduce to Rao's.

About the only sauce worth a drat in a jar.....and they charge out the nose for it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

DickParasite posted:

I switched to oatmeal. I make a big batch on Sunday, and it lasts me all week. All of the cereal convenience, none of the insane prices.

I've got bad news about what's in the oats these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you don’t need breakfast

guess who invented it

edit

obv people with diet issues need it