Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Radia posted:

who gives a poo poo what other games were about

This is why GAnon is so pissed all the time we forgot about the crimes against the Gerudos from four games ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Radia posted:

who cares about zelda timelines

me

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
every zelda game is the same story being told by a bunch of different people in a bar trying to one-up each other

"oh YEAH? well I heard he built an airglider in a giant underground cavern!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are four timelines but no one is ready for the CDI games are canon discussion

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

oh yeah? name five of them rn

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
*Gannon

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
You have been GANNON-BANNED

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Radia posted:

there's only one

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Y2A2EnrLQ

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Radia posted:

CDI timeline. Child Timeline. Adult Timeline. Link Dies timeline and the most important timeline the Tingle Timeline

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

link and tingle does the fusion dance and becomes twink

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

CDI timeline. Child Timeline. Adult Timeline. Link Dies timeline and the most important timeline the Tingle Timeline

well isn't this egg on my face.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Orbs posted:

Video essays are good. I am watching one right now. Ya'll should try one on a topic that interests you some time.

i would rather read a book.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Orbs posted:

Video essays are good. I am watching one right now. Ya'll should try one on a topic that interests you some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KwjDwt5m3w

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Frank Frank posted:

Gameboy advance is by far my favorite portable system of all time. I even modded my original one to install a backlight with a dimmer switch and goddamn I loved that thing.

The closest I ever came to insider trading was working for a company that learned about the GBA-SP early and selling my modded GBA before the SP was publicly announced

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Orbs posted:

Text essays are wonderful too, but they don't have the imagery of video versions, which tells whole extra bonus stories when they put the effort into that.

just wanted to lol at this toddler description of visual media

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
whole extra bonus stories

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Al! posted:

i "played" a lot of this "game"

Man, thanks for unlocking a bunch of buried memories with this one! I totally forgot this existed and I remember so much wandering around in aimless confusion. Not sure how much was poor design and how much was me being too young.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

fun hater posted:

whole extra bonus stories

wait 'til they find out about the performing arts!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Radia posted:

who gives a poo poo what other games were about

if everyone had this attitude we wouldn't have the insane, multi-decade Yakuza storyline

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i would rather read a book.
You can do both, as well as any other media you want. No one can stop you. You might find expansion of options will enrich your mind, that's all I want.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I like video essays and I think they are popular for a reason and it feels a little weird how eager some people are to dunk on them and treat them like wholesale childish trash. It's ok to dislike a thing without trying to justify that dislike to others by saying they're stupid for liking that thing imo

Like you can admit they don't appeal to you without making GBS threads on them, in the same way podcasts haven't really clicked with me but I respect that they're really popular and beloved by a lot of people. Sure some of them are inevitably dumb and mockable but a lot of them are meticulously researched labors of love. video essays is the same

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tiny Myers posted:

Like you can admit they don't appeal to you without making GBS threads on them
(img - that "I DON'T LIKE THING" comic but it's about a 9 hour video regarding a videogame)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

video essay

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Orbs posted:

You can do both, as well as any other media you want. No one can stop you. You might find expansion of options will enrich your mind, that's all I want.

lol @ this pretentious rear end 80s parenting answer.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Tiny Myers posted:

I like video essays and I think they are popular for a reason and it feels a little weird how eager some people are to dunk on them and treat them like wholesale childish trash. It's ok to dislike a thing without trying to justify that dislike to others by saying they're stupid for liking that thing imo

Like you can admit they don't appeal to you without making GBS threads on them, in the same way podcasts haven't really clicked with me but I respect that they're really popular and beloved by a lot of people. Sure some of them are inevitably dumb and mockable but a lot of them are meticulously researched labors of love. video essays is the same
For real. Especially in a thread full of people shitposting about video games, one of the most commonly viewed as childish activities on the planet. Give other things a chance, gamers. Life is more than just Dragon's Dogma and Yakuza, as good as those games are.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

The Kins posted:

(img - that "I DON'T LIKE THING" comic but it's about a 9 hour video regarding a videogame)

unironically yeah tbh

Like I've never watched one that long, I just throw on some 10 minute video explaining a concept I never heard of before or talking about a silly crypto scam and I have that on my second monitor while I do other things. if people wanna make and consume stuff that long about a single subject then good for them I guess. cool to be passionate about things :)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
:gas:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Orbs posted:

For real. Especially in a thread full of people shitposting about video games, one of the most commonly viewed as childish activities on the planet. Give other things a chance, gamers. Life is more than just Dragon's Dogma and Yakuza, as good as those games are.

Tiny Myers posted:

unironically yeah tbh

Like I've never watched one that long, I just throw on some 10 minute video explaining a concept I never heard of before or talking about a silly crypto scam and I have that on my second monitor while I do other things. if people wanna make and consume stuff that long about a single subject then good for them I guess. cool to be passionate about things :)

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

i mean orbs I don't agree that everyone should go listen to video essays, it's ok to not pursue things that don't appeal to you. it's ok if someone just wants to play kiryus dogma and nothing else. that's kind of my point is that everyone has different things that appeal to them and I think it's reductive to view things that don't automatically seem like something we'd personally enjoy as brainless or inferior.

i dont understand this image sorry why is his hand covered in white stuff

edit: oh it's a gun ok it's 2 am I'm half asleep and the muzzle flash kind of looks like poo poo so I thought he was shining a flashlight at the camera. sorry

Tiny Myers has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Mar 29, 2024

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Tiny Myers posted:

i mean orbs I don't agree that everyone should go listen to video essays, it's ok to not pursue things that don't appeal to you. it's ok if someone just wants to play kiryus dogma and nothing else. that's kind of my point is that everyone has different things that appeal to them and I think it's reductive to view things that don't automatically seem like something we'd personally enjoy as brainless or inferior.
That's a good point I agree with. Talking about video essays was just a suggestion because they interest me and a lot of other people, not a commandment.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

double lol @ thinking nobody has tried watching a video essay since youtube has been around like it's a vegetable your child has never seen before and you have to coax them into trying it.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

have you guys tried this newfangled thing of watching videos on the internet? sometimes the algorithm selects them for you! please promise me you'll just give it a try?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

rich evans: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yep

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

yea to be clear I definitely assume anyone who hates video essays does so because they already tried them. ppl usually make educated decisions on what they will or won't enjoy so that doesn't mean they just need to watch more until they like the thing. it just seems kinda dumb to say anyone who enjoys them is dumb and should read a book or something

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

did you know that even though caterpillars completely dissolve into a slurry from which no original organs remain in their cocoons before becoming a butterfly, they retain memories of their time as caterpillars? they tested this by creating an aversion to a pain stimulus in caterpillars and the butterflies avoided the stimulus while others who werent trained as caterpillars did not avoid it

that's unrelated to video essays I just think it's cool anyway goodnight :)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

yea to be clear I definitely assume anyone who hates video essays does so because they already tried them. ppl usually make educated decisions on what they will or won't enjoy so that doesn't mean they just need to watch more until they like the thing. it just seems kinda dumb to say anyone who enjoys them is dumb and should read a book or something

i said nothing about people who like them, but it's hard not to laugh at the patronizing rear end defenses of video essays on display here and elsewhere.

like people who would claim "a webcomic (see exhibit a) is better than a book because it also has pictures" would and should be laughed at by most everyone else.

exhibit a:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tiny Myers posted:

did you know that even though caterpillars completely dissolve into a slurry from which no original organs remain in their cocoons before becoming a butterfly, they retain memories of their time as caterpillars? they tested this by creating an aversion to a pain stimulus in caterpillars and the butterflies avoided the stimulus while others who werent trained as caterpillars did not avoid it

that's unrelated to video essays I just think it's cool anyway goodnight :)

yeah it rules. nature is horrifying, yet beautiful, yet filling us all with existential despair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuhkUzGAeHA butterfly...