Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Orbs posted:

Text essays are wonderful too, but they don't have the imagery of video versions, which tells whole extra bonus stories when they put the effort into that.

this could also describe picture books for children vs actual books, which is fitting no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Violen posted:

zullie ftw

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Danaru posted:

When I was a kid I passed over Link to the Past to instead buy Mario's Time Machine

It still haunts me

I was an extremely serious child and asked my parents for a Sega Game Gear because it had the best review in Zillions, the kid version of Consumer Reports. This was... an error.

At least Columns is a good game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Orbs posted:

Text essays are wonderful too, but they don't have the imagery of video versions, which tells whole extra bonus stories when they put the effort into that.

Which they almost never do, and you probably have stockholm syndrome

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

I was an extremely serious child and asked my parents for a Sega Game Gear because it had the best review in Zillions, the kid version of Consumer Reports. This was... an error.

lol you're a serial killer

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'd always want to rent Wario's Woods when I was like 6 because the music that played in the menu where you select mono or stereo would make me go into a weird trance

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

the only simpsons game I have played is hit and run and it ruled

i liked it but some of the later missions got really hard and i think i never got past the lisa level

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I'd always want to rent Wario's Woods when I was like 6 because the music that played in the menu where you select mono or stereo would make me go into a weird trance

that was mkultra

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hit and run was cool and along with simpsons arcade the only good simpsons game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I do kinda like the idea of that first bart vs space mutants level, shame the game sucks complete dick. Barts nightmare and virtual bart are unforgivable tho. Krustys fun house on nes wasnt very good either and simpsons wrestling is straight up an atrocity pressed into a psx disc lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
lol i respect the thoroughness of the simpsons game experience

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i paid real money for simpsons wrestling at toys r us

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I chose Bloody Roar 3 over Dark Cloud and regretted it immensely.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which they almost never do, and you probably have stockholm syndrome
lol, stockholm syndrome isn't real friend.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There are a bunch of Simpsons games on original Game Boy too but I've never heard anybody talk about them and they're weirdly expensive

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Before Simpsons Hit n Run the same developers made Simpsons Road Rage, a game that was so obviously just Crazy Taxi with the Simpsons that Sega sued them over it and won lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Heath posted:

There are a bunch of Simpsons games on original Game Boy too but I've never heard anybody talk about them and they're weirdly expensive

they're bad but i played a lot of treehouse of horror on the GBC

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the other gameboy game managed to adapt kamp krusty a year before the kamp krusty episode was made

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
lol going through 24 triple a batteries per hour car ride

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's also one called Bart and the Beanstalk where Homer is the giant I guess?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Heath posted:

There's also one called Bart and the Beanstalk where Homer is the giant I guess?

homer is the giant and the dad and in the ending homer gets mad that the dead giant looks like him. i beat the game so i know this

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

homer is the giant and the dad and in the ending homer gets mad that the dead giant looks like him. i beat the game so i know this

I'm sorry for bringing these memories to your mind

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

i had this on the SNES. i liked it a lot but dont think i realized i was Secretly Ripped Off

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cranappleberry posted:

growing up my brother was enticed by the color screen while i wisely opted for a game boy. he would get so pissed on long car trips.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I do not remember the details, but therr was a "Fire Sale" at a department store, and we went to check out the products that were 50% off.

It was mostly hideous ochre sweatshirts and gross white scratchy curtains, but they had a copy of Bart vs. The World and seeing the weird Yeti version of Mr. Burns on the cover is forever ingrained in my head.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

lol do you also call your parents by their first names

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Paladinus posted:

I beat it on my friend's Mega Drive. He didn't own a lot of games.

I had someone tell me the Genesis version is actually playable compared to the SNES one, I don't know the difference and I choose not to learn

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Danaru posted:

When I was a kid I passed over Link to the Past to instead buy Mario's Time Machine

It still haunts me

I skipped school to play Link to the Past on the day of release. I hung out at my friend's house because his parents weren't home and we ate kimchi and farted a bunch. It owned.

Cranappleberry posted:

I had a gen 1 Atari Lynx and my little brother had the TG16 Mini and those things both ate batteries like crazy. At least the game gear had a rechargeable battery pack.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
the kid from the American version of The Ring formally presenting a measured argument with his beleaguered and strung out mother in favor of receiving Chuck Rock as a present

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i "played" a lot of this "game"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

wizard2 posted:

the kid from the American version of The Ring formally presenting a measured argument with his beleaguered and strung out mother in favor of receiving Chuck Rock as a present

I was definitely supposed to get Taz-Mania for Game Gear later that year as a reward for good behavior, but I either hosed up at school or just decided I didn't want it (can't remember), so that was a bullet dodged. I did somehow end up with a Game Gear video-poker cart, though? So just picture the dweebiest kid you can imagine sitting in the living room playing video poker on the Game Gear, plugged into the AC adapter and with the screen magnifier bolted on, and you have a pretty good look at my 1993.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

This is the kind of resume of sadness that gets you the blue star, folks

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I had like 2 game gear games and they were Mortal Kombat and Sonic the Hedgehog and they were both p terrible. The sound quality on that thing was so bad. Hell, even the gameboy sounded better.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Orbs posted:

lol, stockholm syndrome isn't real friend.

you're not real

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
super gameboy ftw

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

super gameboy ftw

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Thus of ould: Video Poker on Game Gear
Thus now: Balatro on Steam Deck

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i played the megadrive version of Tazmania and it was also on a level of obtuse where as a kid you wouldn't even understand that you were playing a puzzle game rather than a platformer. i can't recall but there was one level involving a plant monster and you were supposed to look for a pack of pesticide that wasn't made clear?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the biggest upside of the game gear was you could play in the dark without accessories and if you needed a weapon to defend yourself it could pack a wallop. the 9000 batteries would fall everywhere, causing your enemies to slip, covering your escape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al! posted:

i "played" a lot of this "game"

i had this

i remember it having a big city-wide scavenger hunt where you find an item that unlocks a shelf or other container which contains another item which unlocks etc. etc. until you eventually get access to the stonecutters hall?