Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do I loot the castle vault? I have the key, but there's an immortal guard (Azorka) who I can't do anything about, she just teleports me and cannot be attacked. People online say to kill her but no attack does anything, nor does throwing a barrel at her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stev posted:

I did this last night (at level 12, I'm taking my sweet time) and managed to get it to the last bar at least.

Why would anyone take the oxcart and skip all all the fun game stuff.

Taking a scenic oxcart trip is fun. Even if you doze off, you usually still get to have a fun battle. Half the time you have to walk the rest of the way from some random spot, which becomes its own adventure.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TeaJay posted:

How do I loot the castle vault? I have the key, but there's an immortal guard (Azorka) who I can't do anything about, she just teleports me and cannot be attacked. People online say to kill her but no attack does anything, nor does throwing a barrel at her.

I threw a barrel at her to stun her long enough to pick her up, run away and throw her down the hall. This let me enter the vault.

None of the other guards reacted to this.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
The enemy variety and having like zero exploration rewards makes the whole thing feel bad after the initial hours.

That’s why I’m not believing that the bad reviews are just MTX at this point. The game has actual issues, especially with performance, difficulty and variety.

I’m probably more harsh than others but I was super hyped for this game and now that I’m near the end, I’m kind of disappointed. The advanced vocations, spear hand and trickster, were kind of lame. It just kind of falls apart after 20 hours, nothing wraps up satisfyingly either.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

I threw a barrel at her to stun her long enough to pick her up, run away and throw her down the hall. This let me enter the vault.

None of the other guards reacted to this.

That's what some people say, but I tried a barrel from the kitchen and it also did nothing to her. I wonder if they patched that or something?

e: the barrel hits her but it doesn't break her immortal stance. I wonder what the actual way to get in is? Should I wait for her to leave?

Also, what change do I need to make for my fighter pawn so she wouldn't constantly climb monsters so much? I don't think that's really her forte.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 29, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The review bombing over mtx somehow became a meme and blew up. SF6 has much more intrusive mtx and I don't remember people giving Capcom much poo poo about mtx existing there on a full price game (though people did give Capcom poo poo over how much it would cost to buy every alt outfit).

Performance issues are a valid complaint, and "no option to restart the game from the main menu at launch" was a bonehead decision they deserved to get called out for.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TeaJay posted:

That's what some people say, but I tried a barrel from the kitchen and it also did nothing to her. I wonder if they patched that or something?

e: the barrel hits her but it doesn't break her immortal stance. I wonder what the actual way to get in is? Should I wait for her to leave?

Maybe you're just not strong enough to flinch her with your throw? I don't actually know how that works. I was pretty high level (40s or so) when I did it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

doomfunk posted:

also on fighter: am I crazy or does shield bash have a block component to it? I use it all the time and the double bash in particular feels a bit like a less effective perfect block at times.

It would be in brand for Capcom to implement Monster Hunter style guard points into the fighter moveset

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lord Packinham posted:

.The advanced vocations, spear hand, were kind of lame.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion except you because what the gently caress

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I wasn't feeling mystic spearhand at first, it took a while to click for me. They're pretty good at what they do. The augments for them are terrible though, need to level other vocations to poach theirs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i've only been playing for like 10 hours or so but i haven't seen any microtransactions at all?

like i literally have not been presented with any kind of screen or option to pay real money (or buyable fake game money) for anything at all at any point in the game :confused:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
having any microtransactions, even if they are not useful, in a full priced game is a dumb thing

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How long does it take for this girl to learn some drat magic so I can finish this quest.

Edit: apparently her grandmother had somehow died, and this caused the quest to get stuck. In case anyone else has something similar happen.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 29, 2024

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Is there a way to increase the charge speed of Forbeding Bolt on mystic spearhand? Any augments etc? I know there is a skill that charges it instantly but not that as I am tight on skill slots!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Thx for the input I've got a strong pc so I think I will check it out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i've only been playing for like 10 hours or so but i haven't seen any microtransactions at all?

like i literally have not been presented with any kind of screen or option to pay real money (or buyable fake game money) for anything at all at any point in the game :confused:

There aren't any, unless a goober broadly calls all pieces of DLC mtx, but these days I think most folks make a distinction between some optional crap you can buy outside the game, and mtx that's actively part of the game design and fundamentally inescapable since not doing mtx purchases still involves earning mtx currency through gameplay.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Earwicker posted:

you have to access it through the main menu screen, as far as i know you cant access it while actually on your character and the online store itself opens in browser window. i didnt even know there were mtx until like the 3rd day of play when i finally saw internet content about the game, but i also deliberately stayed away from the vast majority of discussion until monday

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khanstant posted:

There aren't any, unless a goober broadly calls all pieces of DLC mtx, but these days I think most folks make a distinction between some optional crap you can buy outside the game, and mtx that's actively part of the game design and fundamentally inescapable since not doing mtx purchases still involves earning mtx currency through gameplay.

You can literally pay real money for in game consumables and currency. The only difference between it and any other MTX is that you buy it through the steam store instead of in-game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I dunno I feel like calling currency (rift crystals or w/e they're called) purchases "DLC" is misleading.

It's all super irrelevant but it is there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Someone was saying earlier that giving the wyrmlife crystals to Ambrosius was a point of no return, that's where I'm at right now. I figure I should probably do the Sphinx now. Anything I should know, bring with me? I always have a portcrystal on me, which should be good since I heard she can dupe items. Also if I can't do her bullshit quest of finding my first Seeker's Token, will that end the quest chain?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

flashman posted:

Thx for the input I've got a strong pc so I think I will check it out

You will need something more powerful than a 7800X3D and 4090 to avoid dips to 40fps and below

quote:

Someone was saying earlier that giving the wyrmlife crystals to Ambrosius was a point of no return

if that's true that's like the shortest campaign I've played in years. I'm on that step now and I feel like I've barely played through the story

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sloober posted:

get the spinny shield move, it breaks flinch and gives you enough time to charge tusk toss. i think it's called like 'impeccable defense' or something like that, the skill desc says it breaks flinch if that's not the name of it

But then I can't use blink strike, the air strike, circular slash and gouging strike or whatever its called. :shepface:

I just switched over to warrior though so I can't wait to kill monsters with a big sword while my pawn rains meteors down on everything.

Also as I was getting ready to quit for the night a bar fight broke out in the town. A woman attacked a dude, beat the hell out of him, then she ran off into the night screaming "You'll get what's coming to you!" which is a shame because I wanted to give her some flowers. But she's probably dead now, those roads are full of skeletons.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Someone was saying earlier that giving the wyrmlife crystals to Ambrosius was a point of no return, that's where I'm at right now.

Having just done this, this is not a point of no return so you're safe still. It is, however, one of the last main story quests.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yo wtf

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Yeah that happens. They seem to always go for the lantern in my experience. Kill them and you can get it back.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nuebot posted:

Yeah that happens. They seem to always go for the lantern in my experience. Kill them and you can get it back.

First time I've seen it. Also it was stolen from my pawn far away from me, so yeah that lantern's probably gone

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imo the most hosed up thing about this game so far is that something like 95% of the "dungeons" that you find are just caves with maybe ten to five guys in them and a chest with five explosive arrows and 2000 gold in it. i don't know why they went with this direction. i feel like making half that number that were twice as long would have been a lot more enjoyable

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm level 32 and still get killed by slimes in the waterfall cave because the mage in my group doesn't give me a fire buff for my weapon. No idea how you're supposed to deal with them if you don't have it. They swarm me, drain my stamina and then my health. (sorry, whoever is the master, I'll have to change her if I want to kill slimes!)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TeaJay posted:

I'm level 32 and still get killed by slimes in the waterfall cave because the mage in my group doesn't give me a fire buff for my weapon. No idea how you're supposed to deal with them if you don't have it. They swarm me, drain my stamina and then my health. (sorry, whoever is the master, I'll have to change her if I want to kill slimes!)

Use one of the billion consumable tomes you've probably picked up along the way. At least that's how I dealt with them on fighter.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

TeaJay posted:

They sometimes store a buncha explosive barrels around where slimes are which can one shot them. Other then that it's entirely dependent on what class you play or if you've got an elemental weapon.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Use one of the billion consumable tomes you've probably picked up along the way. At least that's how I dealt with them on fighter.

Yeah the "X boon" tomes are useful to keep around for these sorts of situations if you can remember to use them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuebot posted:

But then I can't use blink strike, the air strike, circular slash and gouging strike or whatever its called. :shepface:

Blink strike feels inferior to shield bash, since the 2nd upgrade at least has a decent distance charge attached. The shield spin also feels like an upgrade to sword spin due to the escape from being flinched. Both do less damage, but damage isn't the fighter's strongpoint.
Warrior definitely feels like it was designed better, since it gets a ton of flinch resist on its moves.

Going back to my armchair dev ideas, I think fighter should be nearly uninterruptible, or every shield button should have the 'break flinch' attribute. Warrior should also get a small self heal from the second-wind ability. This would encourage you to trade and enable a mage free tank class that would feel less like a full upgrade over fighter, both could be tanks with different feels. As is warrior feels almost like a straight upgrade.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

imo the most hosed up thing about this game so far is that something like 95% of the "dungeons" that you find are just caves with maybe ten to five guys in them and a chest with five explosive arrows and 2000 gold in it. i don't know why they went with this direction. i feel like making half that number that were twice as long would have been a lot more enjoyable

finding lil dungeons out in the wild is a part of the D&D Experience, but they have a unique problem wherein large, explorable dungeons with multiple tiers and all that jazz are extraordinarily difficult to implement due to the fact that your party consists of three robots who will randomly wile e. coyote themselves off cliffs or start running in circles the moment the terrain becomes more complex than gently sloping hills

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The good stuff is in funny big dungeons or in chest you have to fire 3-6 shots from trebuchets to access

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stev posted:

You can literally pay real money for in game consumables and currency. The only difference between it and any other MTX is that you buy it through the steam store instead of in-game.

To me the fundamental difference is in game design. Mtx I associate with the grander suite of dark designs. It's not just being available in game, it's that those games are designed around mtx on a core level. The dlc here are the kind of crap an mtx based game might include, but the game itself doesn't funnel you towards them. I would never want to buy rift crystals because I literally do not use the RC I have already, every pawn I rent costs 0 RC lmao. In an mtx game I would want RC because I have to grind for it to be able to do something fun like summon a pawn.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Now I'm thinking about dragons age origins and how it literally had a quest marker with an NPC who would tell you that you needed to purchase the dlc for their quest lol

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Can anyone comment on PS5 performance with the new patch?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Professor Beetus posted:

Now I'm thinking about dragons age origins and how it literally had a quest marker with an NPC who would tell you that you needed to purchase the dlc for their quest lol

And that would be classified as story dlc/an expansion, not mtx by most criteria lol

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Khanstant posted:

To me the fundamental difference is in game design. Mtx I associate with the grander suite of dark designs. It's not just being available in game, it's that those games are designed around mtx on a core level. The dlc here are the kind of crap an mtx based game might include, but the game itself doesn't funnel you towards them. I would never want to buy rift crystals because I literally do not use the RC I have already, every pawn I rent costs 0 RC lmao. In an mtx game I would want RC because I have to grind for it to be able to do something fun like summon a pawn.
I agree, I think there's discussion to be had about whether the existence of certain mtx means the game was designed to funnel you there (ie selling "convenience," where the average person's experience is worse so that they can be sold a port crystal or RC or whatever) but I don't think that really applies to DD2. It feels like capcom just stapled on a bunch of buyable consumables to maybe make some money off impatient or dumb people, but it doesn't feel like the game itself was compromised so that this mtx could exist.

re: dungeons, I just wish there was more than it being 90% corridor caves. Give me some kind of abandoned ancient civilization lit by weird magical gloworbs. Or some kind of pocket of mystical forest. Etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Might just be me, but I think it's right to mock dumb mtx for 70$ games.