Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm not going back to quote the Mike Flanagan hate but I like all of his shows and the Bent Neck Lady is one of the few horror concepts that genuinely scared me. Liking the prestige television written by Mike Flanagan is the hill I'm prepared to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
If anything is killing AEW it’s the hotshotting. Champs should never be on TV. If you want to glimpse upon their greatness, let alone see them wrestle, you better buy a ticket or pay per view

Edit: posted in the wrong thread, I blame alcohol

TheSwizzler has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Mar 29, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
3/29/2024: Jeff asks for funny ads for SA.
3/29/2024: Jeff closes thread for funny ads after The Incident.
3/29/2024: The Good Friday Night Massacre occurs after 3 SAD threads and the result of the final destruction of The Friday Forum.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
yo he directed the scary mirror movie??? nobody can be mad at him. i'd hate it if i was stuck adapting stephen king works for the rest of my life though

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

yo he directed the scary mirror movie???

"The Monitor"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lmao

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
9 out of 10 goatmen use nordvpn to ban evade on something awful dot com

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ominous Jazz posted:

yo he directed the scary mirror movie??? nobody can be mad at him. i'd hate it if i was stuck adapting stephen king works for the rest of my life though

I don't think I would hate that as my job tbh.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

That DICK! posted:

"The Monitor"

lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ilmucche posted:

I enjoyed the guy who made weird dioramas, but there were only two videos at the time so there wasn't hours of content to see

Idk if this is the person but I found this guy a while back and fell in love with his miniatures. He lives in the same state as me and if I can get the chance I want to hire him for a film project

https://youtube.com/@Boylei?si=fbWLBz61W65xw2Yj

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

CelticPredator posted:

Idk if this is the person but I found this guy a while back and fell in love with his miniatures. He lives in the same state as me and if I can get the chance I want to hire him for a film project

https://youtube.com/@Boylei?si=fbWLBz61W65xw2Yj

i think they mean bobby fingers. his poo poo does rule lol.
https://www.youtube.com/@bobbyfingers

people who work in 3d mediums are like wizards, to me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not going back to quote the Mike Flanagan hate but I like all of his shows and the Bent Neck Lady is one of the few horror concepts that genuinely scared me. Liking the prestige television written by Mike Flanagan is the hill I'm prepared to die on.

I didn’t like haunting of hill house because the horror didn’t really grab me much. I’m not looking to get scared but I’m definitely looking to be engaged because I find horror to be a cool genre. And the show was just a bit too much of a drama for me.

Not that it’s this way for everyone but some of the people I know who love it don’t like horror much and that was kind of a ah ha moment.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
my spouse and i gave haunting of Hill House two episodes and it was a tepid family drama with the occasionally arty ghost in the background and perhaps something eventually happened but the concept that you will take at least two hours of my time and deliver nothing is very disrespectful so we did not pursue further

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

i think they mean bobby fingers. his poo poo does rule lol.
https://www.youtube.com/@bobbyfingers

people who work in 3d mediums are like wizards, to me

Oh yeah, I love some Bobby fingers.

I like these art channels bc they’re inspiring. I made this out of foam, popsicle sticks and a crappy trash can for my thing toy. I think it turned out alright

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

CelticPredator posted:

Oh yeah, I love some Bobby fingers.

I like these art channels bc they’re inspiring. I made this out of foam, popsicle sticks and a crappy trash can for my thing toy. I think it turned out alright

yo this is dope

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Tiny Myers posted:

I like video essays and I think they are popular for a reason and it feels a little weird how eager some people are to dunk on them and treat them like wholesale childish trash. It's ok to dislike a thing without trying to justify that dislike to others by saying they're stupid for liking that thing imo

Like you can admit they don't appeal to you without making GBS threads on them, in the same way podcasts haven't really clicked with me but I respect that they're really popular and beloved by a lot of people. Sure some of them are inevitably dumb and mockable but a lot of them are meticulously researched labors of love. video essays is the same

theyre complete aids. my regards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

theyre complete aids. my regards.

I watched this one and it was pretty good. It was a little long though

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGPHQkZfC18

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Heath posted:

Hating "video essays" categorically is meaningless because it doesn't identify any specific topic of the myriad things a video essay could cover. Some things merit more attention and length than others. A 10 hour video about, say, the history of Nicaragua merits its length because the topic is incredibly complex. A 3 hour video about the cultural impact of iCarly is, likewise, fail

i like documentaries. video essays are a void created between documentaries and normal essays for low effort algorithmically targetted content made by guys with a shared speech impediment about topics that dont require or deserve tthe time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Al! posted:

yo this is dope

100% this

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

An essay should be short and to the point. Most video essays are neither of those things.

If you can't condense the core of what your essay is about into a ten minute video then you need to go back to grade school English class imo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Documentaries are different, and sure some youtube video essays are actually documentaries, but that's another topic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Whats a "video essay"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i found out theres a conspiracy theory that chris houlihan wasnt real because no one won the contest so nintendo made up a fake name and put it there to make it seem like someone won the contest... (x-files theme song )

the nintendo power prize i wanted as a kid was the replica of the zora guitar from majora's mask, which had been won years ago when i learned of it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Video essays are just podcasts based on how people can listen to them in thw background and not miss out on anything. Not much like an essay and not very video. Seems dumb

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Alaois posted:

Whats a "video essay"

a lovely essay accompanied by imagery intended to hide how lovely the essay is

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Fajita Queen posted:

An essay should be short and to the point. Most video essays are neither of those things.

If you can't condense the core of what your essay is about into a ten minute video then you need to go back to grade school English class imo

Fajita Queen posted:

Documentaries are different, and sure some youtube video essays are actually documentaries, but that's another topic.

yeah this is about where i stand. the youtube algorithm tried suggesting i watch some video essay where the title was like "12 hours analyzing metroid" or some poo poo, like the length was the point. if you're approaching it from that angle there is no way they can have any worth. but there are channels putting high amounts of effort into documentary-style videos on youtube that are pretty cool.

Improbable Lobster posted:

the nintendo power prize i wanted as a kid was the replica of the zora guitar from majora's mask, which had been won years ago when i learned of it

these were jackson custom shop guitars. they pop up for sale every once in a while for like 10-20k.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
deep dives into obscure or highly niche games are fun to watch

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems like it’d be better to play the niche game for 20 hours instead

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Alaois posted:

Whats a "video essay"

Youtube video made by homeschooled kids

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
2.5 hour critique of a 90 minute movie.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I thought Midnight Mass was cool but I deeply disliked Doctor Sleep

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

welp, I guess I’m gonna give Johnny Silverhand my body

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Keanu Reeves hacked my weiner and now I can only get an erection at Apple Bees Bar And Grill When You're Here You're Freerf

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alaois posted:

Whats a "video essay"

Someone reading a wikipedia article

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

welp, I guess I’m gonna give Johnny Silverhand my body

i appreciate that this ending is more or less the point break ending

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Youtube video made by homeschooled kids

SPED Talks

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Heath posted:

A 3 hour video about the cultural impact of iCarly is, likewise, fail

Excuse me, it was 4 hours and 45 minutes

*double checks the channel*

Wait they made a second video that is another 3 and a half hours long?!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Leal posted:

Excuse me, it was 4 hours and 45 minutes

*double checks the channel*

Wait they made a second video that is another 3 and a half hours long?!

is this the same channel as the 12 hour long video about survivor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
anything but this