Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OneDeadman posted:

Probably the worst I’ve played in recent memory is Loop8. A game with neat ideas that never got thrown into an oven and cooked. It’s such a bummer because I really just want to play a Cool Gunparade March game in English and unfortunately I think Loop8 is the only thing close?

When I saw the game on sale and then learnt of the Gunparade connection, I was surprised I hadn’t even heard of it because it looked like it had decent production values. But reading reviews cleared things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
What is neptunia about? Who our what are the console anime girls fighting against?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

D.Fuzzbot posted:

What is neptunia about? Who our what are the console anime girls fighting against?

Well the premise seemed to be about fighting piracy (the aggressor in the first game is literally called Arfour) or something, but apparently that doesn't persist?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm a big fan of the ps3 game featuring sentient representations of the ps3 and xbox 360 who constantly argue with each other. that's right, ratchet & clank future: tools of destruction

D.Fuzzbot posted:

i just said that the first game is about them fighting the nintendo ds r4 flash cart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

video game piracy
evil lesbians
a robot that is a stereotypical gay man
an evil lesbian that represents video game piracy
an evil lesbian that represents video game piracy that represents you, the player's, mother
western aaa devs
cloud strife (female)
sting thinking the series had always had a self-insert male protagonist for some reason
a very mean joke about how nobody bought gungnir for the psp
a vtuber that is just mr. heart from fist of the north star, as in literally him, like they just pulled his model from fist of the north star warriors 2 and rigged mocap to it and had him play video games on youtube

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

disposablewords posted:

I genuinely do not get what anyone got out of Hyperdimension Neptunia as a game. If you want to look at cute anime girls, there's a whole lot of that out there already. Otherwise, the best it ever reached for as a game was, very occasionally, the heady heights of mediocre.

I don't have a lot of experience with truly dire games because I tend to be a latecomer to almost everything and avoid most of the horror stories, though.

yea, and if you played one Neptunia game, you played them all. I finished like 2, and its all the same thing. At least there's so many spin-offs there's quite a few different rpg genres systems they switch to. I think its about the 4th wall humor when it was still amusing.

for me, worst jrpg i played, i forget the title.
I think it was on the Wii maybe.
It was a fantasy setting, and the main female character had two personalities you could switch to on the fly in battle. It was just her in the party the whole time, and the battle system was kind of different in that it was in a weird PoV angle. and the battle system was just timing or choosing the right rock/paper/scissors move.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Are the pirates actual pirates? Do the consoles actually fight? What lessons do we learn along the way? How gay is the robot?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
How much game is there in Ancient Roman? Like, is that something you could get through in around 15 hours with emulator fast forward or is it a full 40+ hour epic?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im an evil lesbian who represents video game piracy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
neptunia should have taken a note from ratchet & clank and had a game about its representations of the ps3 and xbox 360 dying, and neptunia having to apologize to their family members, who are her girlfriends, for failing to protect them before spending the rest of the game making a joke about how their killer has the mentality of a six year old and doesnt wanna go to jail today

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Schwarzwald posted:

How much game is there in Ancient Roman? Like, is that something you could get through in around 15 hours with emulator fast forward or is it a full 40+ hour epic?

i think it's like 20 hours long but i burned out shortly after hitting disc 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Are the pirates actual pirates? Do the consoles actually fight? What lessons do we learn along the way? How gay is the robot?
define 'actual pirates'
yes but generally not each other besides being tsundere at each other
that our mother was doing her best
hes like the only male character with screentime but he still manages to be pretty camp. i think hes a starscream reference?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

define 'actual pirates'
yes but generally not each other besides being tsundere at each other
that our mother was doing her best
hes like the only male character with screentime but he still manages to be pretty camp. i think hes a starscream reference?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Endorph posted:

define 'actual pirates'

Like literally dressed in a pirate costume

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The 2D combat in Dragon Quest XI is so painfully slow, I can't fathom playing the whole game that way. DQ3 on the SNES felt like light-speed next to this.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly I enjoyed the later Neptunia games. The first one was just bad, though. Got through the game not really knowing how the battle system worked.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh wait, I just remembered! Sudeki! Action RPG of the original Xbox that I picked it up when it came to Steam because people seemed to be excited about it (it still has lots of positive Steam reviews) but I found it utterly miserable to play. Combat felt terrible out the gate, like not just limited because you're a level 1 scrub but actively unpleasant to engage with. And the writing was just. So bad. A lot of "war of the sexes" type jokes that were dated when the game first came out, never mind on rerelease. It's like the first hour or two were written to make specifically my eyes roll out of my head, and guarantee I wouldn't want to go further.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

some of the side ones can be pretty hard too.
i played the Noire one which was a SRPG style, and was getting my butt kicked a lot of the time.

i also played the dynasty warriors style one

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The 2D combat in Dragon Quest XI is so painfully slow, I can't fathom playing the whole game that way. DQ3 on the SNES felt like light-speed next to this.

Likewise, I bounced so hard off this game after 10 hours of trying to get into it. Random battles were annoying and unengaging, couldn't care about the plot or characters, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Like literally dressed in a pirate costume

oh no theyre mostly sexy witches

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Aww that sounds like a missed opportunity, so like if the girls are consoles what are the games? How are the pirate witches steal poo poo?

My actual bad game is Too Human, for so, so, so many reasons. I was all hyped for it originally and it's twin stick combat was nearly the worst thing I ever played.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres usually random characters that reference game companies too. like the cloud strife one i mentioned is just the squeenix personification

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

D.Fuzzbot posted:

What are some of the worst RPGs folks have played? Like really bad ones and not bad ones compared to the rest of a game series.

folks have played Yiik, I'm told

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah Neptunia is a mediocre at best to downright bad RPG series with the occasional cute reference to videogames as their best part. Like how the first villain is named after DS Flashcarts (Magiqone and Arfoire/R4) or the final main villain of the third game being the Atari 2600 who caused the apocalypse.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

Who do we need to blame/help to make sure decisions like this never happens again? The localizers or the voice director?

Definitely the localizers because the voice director is going to ultimately work with what they're given and not all games with bad dialect has voice acting. IE: Dragon Quest 4 and its fugly regional accents that lead to stuff like the jailed guy in chapter 1 being a jailed drunk Scotsman instead of just suffering trauma and Alena talking like a 90s California valley girl with a Russian accent.

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/BRSUN_game/status/1773606760546210050

blue reflection mobage is shutting down. shockingly making a bad mobage of a niche franchise where you went out of your way to put a dude in for all the girls to lust over and push all the hardcore fans away, didnt work.

That might actually be worse than whatever insane decisions lead to the Breath of Fire 6 mobile game being the generic garbage game it was.

Meanwhile Konami hasn't made a Suikoden mobile game since it's not like they'd be hurting for characters to fill a gacha game with and I'm really curious how they haven't decided to try, unless they did and it died that quickly and quietly.

Barudak posted:

Also like, Im deliberately not including things like 7th Saga US where the patching makes the game occasionally un-winnable for the player in my thoughts.

Kemco in general tends to be perfectly fine slurry. Firmly in the "fine" part of a bad-fine-good scoring system

I cannot understand what the hell Enix was thinking with the changes to 7th Saga for the US. The difficulty in the Japanese version isn't too bad while yeah, the US version will outright make the game unwinnable at several points. Particularly if you don't get the Star Rune before the mid 20s or so, because the NPC stat gains make the apprentices unkillable for you after awhile. Getting the Sky Rune can be the same issue if it's picked up by someone you fought before and is now permanently hostile to you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hwurmp posted:

folks have played Yiik, I'm told

YIIK is bad, but it's far far far from the worse.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I remember renting Lagoon on the SNES once and it being very, incredibly bad to play, but I was also a dumb kid so maybe it gets better?

Surprised also to not see a Beyond the Beyond reference, but I think that history has maybe been kinder to it than I realize.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

I remember renting Lagoon on the SNES once and it being very, incredibly bad to play, but I was also a dumb kid so maybe it gets better?

Surprised also to not see a Beyond the Beyond reference, but I think that history has maybe been kinder to it than I realize.

It's been a minute since I played Lagoon but iirc it's not great at any point, no

I actually have a physical copy of it, lol. I think I bought it from a rental place when it was closing.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Beyond the Beyond definitely sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I cannot understand what the hell Enix was thinking with the changes to 7th Saga for the US. The difficulty in the Japanese version isn't too bad while yeah, the US version will outright make the game unwinnable at several points. Particularly if you don't get the Star Rune before the mid 20s or so, because the NPC stat gains make the apprentices unkillable for you after awhile. Getting the Sky Rune can be the same issue if it's picked up by someone you fought before and is now permanently hostile to you.

most difficulty changes in j2e translations of that era were because japan didn't have a rental games market, you bought or you didn't. a lot of those companies got terrified when they found out about it in the us and made their games ultra hard so nobody could possibly beat it in a single rental period lol

there's funny rebalances that go the other way in some american ps1 games and they tanked those for different reasons. the jp releases of spyro 1 and 2 gut the movement really hard for some reason so you go half as fast even when charging and the camera is way more zoomed out. for some reason this did not lead to spyro 3 getting a japanese release too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i just got through wall market in og ffvii. i don't remember if the translation had aerith specifying she would twist don corneo's balls off

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

anyway i just got through wall market in og ffvii. i don't remember if the translation had aerith specifying she would twist don corneo's balls off

Yep. Or to be precise "Rip 'em off."

It is why Tifa and Aerith's song in Remake is titled "Rip 'em, Smash 'em"

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Tifa and Aerith’s cbt anthem.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also tbh this was my first time seeing the scene where cloud gets shoved into a hot tub with a dozen naked men and. i do kind of like that it just ends with mukki realizing he's not into it and going "oh. that's too bad. well, bye"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
insane that your choice of room will either get you that or another weird mako psychovision

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

insane that your choice of room will either get you that or another weird mako psychovision

The Honeybee Inn is seriously one of the strangest places in the drat game. You can find Reeve's parents in a room there with a small Cait Sith in the corner.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe i'll go back and check that out sometime lol. i've decided since duckstation has disc-specific memcards i'm just gonna make a big set of saves throughout the game for notable sequences so i can go back to them whenever i want

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

the only good part of lunar dragon song is when the mc just chucks a sword at the villains right hand man and he gets stabbed in the head by it, and then he casually pulls it out and starts hitting you with it.

IIRC that was also the final boss and then the villain just falls down a hole or some poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All I remember about Lagoon is having to wait for an NPC to follow you at the speed of a dying snail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lagoon is funny because it's a port of an x68k game and in the original you were able to hold your sword out for a little bit. in the snes release they removed your ability to do that without making the sword any longer