Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ace Transmuter posted:

I remember renting Lagoon on the SNES once and it being very, incredibly bad to play, but I was also a dumb kid so maybe it gets better?

Can confirm that Lagoon was not a good rental.

The worst SNES RPG I've tried was Inido: Way of the Ninja. Not sure if I got the title right, it was something like that. I bought a used copy because Nintendo Power made it look neat, but I ended up having to turn it off after 10 minutes. It was absurdly ugly and had equally horrible framerates and sound effects. I'm one of those idiots that need a good presentation in my games, especially RPGs due to the time investment. Oh well, at least Inido only cost a few bucks at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mycot posted:

That too. But "all girls around one generic man" hasn't been an ironclad convention in a while so it speaks to someone in the ladder being out of touch.

'The generic male character that all the women love suddenly' should've just been a dog. Wouldn't even need to be a talking dog, that would've solved everything. I'm not even sure if it should have magic powers or not, either option is funny.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GloomMouse posted:

Beyond the Beyond definitely sucks

Yes. I could get through 7th saga despite it's faults but not this game. It was absolutely terrible.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wait, no, I've played Super Ninja Boy, that should go pretty low just for letting me know you could have a trash fps on the Super Nintendo.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Phantasium posted:

wait, no, I've played Super Ninja Boy, that should go pretty low just for letting me know you could have a trash fps on the Super Nintendo.

Lol I have this one too. My SNES collection is like a dozen very niche games that aren't any good, and also a copy of Chrono Trigger

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Since Mana is on peoples' minds, my candidate for "worst RPG ever played" would have to be Dawn of Mana.

The game is all about its own physics engine; you're supposed to pick up environment objects and fling them into enemies. This doesn't damage them! Instead, your goal is to put them off-balance before attacking, and the more off-balance they are, the more exp you get when you finally move in for the kill. This process gets very repetitive as the game's levels are quite long.

Also, when the enemies are off balance, the game plays this annoying tinkly sound effect which drowns out the excellent Kenji Ito music.

Each of the game's areas resets your level to 1, so it's not the case that you can just farm enemies to get to max level and then never engage with the physics stuff again. You have to repeat the entire grind from character level 1 to 3 (or 4 if you're very dedicated) in order to comfortably handle the area boss.

The platforming and camera isn't great either - it's using the KH1 engine, so you know what you're in for there.

Oh, and the story is a generic "corruption" deal that was all the rage in the late PS2 / early PS3 era.

Good graphics and music though, and there was an arena side game that was actually pretty fun. Not enough to justify the price.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Since Mana is on peoples' minds, my candidate for "worst RPG ever played" would have to be Dawn of Mana.

The game is all about its own physics engine; you're supposed to pick up environment objects and fling them into enemies. This doesn't damage them! Instead, your goal is to put them off-balance before attacking, and the more off-balance they are, the more exp you get when you finally move in for the kill. This process gets very repetitive as the game's levels are quite long.

Also, when the enemies are off balance, the game plays this annoying tinkly sound effect which drowns out the excellent Kenji Ito music.

Each of the game's areas resets your level to 1, so it's not the case that you can just farm enemies to get to max level and then never engage with the physics stuff again. You have to repeat the entire grind from character level 1 to 3 (or 4 if you're very dedicated) in order to comfortably handle the area boss.

The platforming and camera isn't great either - it's using the KH1 engine, so you know what you're in for there.

Oh, and the story is a generic "corruption" deal that was all the rage in the late PS2 / early PS3 era.

Good graphics and music though, and there was an arena side game that was actually pretty fun. Not enough to justify the price.

Would you believe they improved it for the US release?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I love Dawn of Mana, lol

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

ImpAtom posted:

Would you believe they improved it for the US release?

Oh wow, that is horrifying. Tell me more!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Like there's nothing else quite like it and it has an interesting pace and gameplay.

Still think it's insanely cool that they have you climb a tower and then you start a boss fight which unlocks the physics destruction of the tower so you can fling chunks of it at a wizard while it's falling apart around you.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Cross tails is on sale, seems like a near looking tactics game. Worth $21?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Oh wow, that is horrifying. Tell me more!

I don't remember the specifics unfortunately but the grind for medals was worse originally

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

The worst SNES RPG I've tried was Inido: Way of the Ninja.

You definitely got the name wrong because Inindo: Way of the Ninja was a neat (and very janky) RPG with a strategy game aspect taped on to the side. :colbert:

The menus were definitely way to slow in that game though.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Worst SNES RPG I played was that time I rented Secret of the Stars: don't remember much about it other than being confused, most likely due to the terrible translation. Luckily I also rented SOS at the same time and that really enraptured me, so it was easy to ignore the disappointment.

In a similar but different vein, I remember renting Robotrek and being very confused by it as well, and felt like it was really hard, but when I revisited it many years later I thought it was pretty cool. Well, the battle music gets pretty monotonous, but yeah, it was an interesting one.

In other news, due to being stuck on the toilet for hours with digestive issues, I pulled out my old 3DS and played Etrian Odyssey 4 and had a great time! My little group of Land/Night/Fort + Med/Snipe got all the way through the Lush Woodlands and unlocked the Scarlet Pillars. Was surprised at how addictive it was: I was only planning on playing it for a bit and then switching to Theatrhythm, but it really got me good. Shame though that for some reason my 3DS is no longer charging: not sure if it's the system or the charger that's busted. I guess for all the times it could've picked to die on me, the timing was decent as there was a sense of accomplishment: I usually have a habit of only making it through the first or second dungeons in these big RPGs before trying something else. For example, I stopped my Persona 5 playthrough after taking down Kamoshida and that felt pretty good (though obviously I'm missing out).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Lagoon is not good but "Lakeland has a drinking problem" is an incredible marketing line

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

FutureCop posted:

Worst SNES RPG I played was that time I rented Secret of the Stars: don't remember much about it other than being confused, most likely due to the terrible translation. Luckily I also rented SOS at the same time and that really enraptured me, so it was easy to ignore the disappointment.

In a similar but different vein, I remember renting Robotrek and being very confused by it as well, and felt like it was really hard, but when I revisited it many years later I thought it was pretty cool. Well, the battle music gets pretty monotonous, but yeah, it was an interesting one.

In other news, due to being stuck on the toilet for hours with digestive issues, I pulled out my old 3DS and played Etrian Odyssey 4 and had a great time! My little group of Land/Night/Fort + Med/Snipe got all the way through the Lush Woodlands and unlocked the Scarlet Pillars. Was surprised at how addictive it was: I was only planning on playing it for a bit and then switching to Theatrhythm, but it really got me good. Shame though that for some reason my 3DS is no longer charging: not sure if it's the system or the charger that's busted. I guess for all the times it could've picked to die on me, the timing was decent as there was a sense of accomplishment: I usually have a habit of only making it through the first or second dungeons in these big RPGs before trying something else. For example, I stopped my Persona 5 playthrough after taking down Kamoshida and that felt pretty good (though obviously I'm missing out).

Both replacement batteries and chargers are pretty cheap if you want to see if you can keep using it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
my choice for worst RPG I've played is Star Ocean 5 because it's like a below-average Tales game without any of the whimsy

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
What’s going to be most anticipated jrpg to be released for the rest of the year after most people are done with Rebirth

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i just beat dragon quest 1, that game kinda sucks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
How dare you

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

What’s going to be most anticipated jrpg to be released for the rest of the year after most people are done with Rebirth

Probably the Thousand Year Door remake since that means it'll be purchasable for under 200$ again for the first time in years.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Cross tails is on sale, seems like a near looking tactics game. Worth $21?

probably. it's okay, but not exceptional in any way.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

GateOfD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MppOBbkq6Dw

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
saga emerald is just hands down my most anticipated, no rebirth qualifier needed

unless if troubleshooter 2 hits early access this year, in which case that. but i feel like it will probably be next year.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snooze Cruise posted:

saga emerald is just hands down my most anticipated, no rebirth qualifier needed

unless if troubleshooter 2 hits early access this year, in which case that. but i feel like it will probably be next year.

I see "Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children" on Steam, and it describes itself as being "set in the world of Troubleshooter", but is there a different game just called "Troubleshooter"?

That description, and the fact that a "Troubleshooter 2" is upcoming, implies there is in fact a Troubleshooter 1, but I can't actually find anything about it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Annath posted:

I see "Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children" on Steam, and it describes itself as being "set in the world of Troubleshooter", but is there a different game just called "Troubleshooter"?

That description, and the fact that a "Troubleshooter 2" is upcoming, implies there is in fact a Troubleshooter 1, but I can't actually find anything about it.

Abandoned Children is the first Troubleshooter. You should play it, its the greatest video game ever made besides uh, Elevator Action.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, that's the only game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'll check it out.

Wonder why they phrased the description that way though. It definitely reads as if it's like a spinoff set in a larger universe.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Saga is a good guess, but for the aging gamer bracket it has to be Eiyuden, especially with the demo showing they barely filed the numbers off Suikoden.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Annath posted:

I'll check it out.

Wonder why they phrased the description that way though. It definitely reads as if it's like a spinoff set in a larger universe.

the early translations were extremely bad and i assume that steam description was also part of that and never changed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Hackan Slash posted:

Saga is a good guess, but for the aging gamer bracket it has to be Eiyuden, especially with the demo showing they barely filed the numbers off Suikoden.

It's this. SaGa is right on its heels tho.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GateOfD posted:

I don't get to play Rebirth until it hits PC, but I do get Eiyuden Chronicle next month.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

the early translations were extremely bad and i assume that steam description was also part of that and never changed

It always felt like a "which of us got the best grades in high school english?" kind of development situation.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Did they ever go back and fix it up?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did they ever go back and fix it up?
iirc theyve fixed up most of the early story stuff? some of the skill descriptions are still a little wonk tho

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

You definitely got the name wrong because Inindo: Way of the Ninja was a neat (and very janky) RPG with a strategy game aspect taped on to the side. :colbert:

The menus were definitely way to slow in that game though.

Inindo was a fantastic game but the SNES port was terrible for a number of reasons. The PC-98 and X6800 versions played, sounded, and even looked better despite being 16-color games. They also had features that got cut from the SNES version like the ability to buy a house in one of Nobunaga’s provinces, marry one of the lady ninja NPCs and leave her there as a spy.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

D.Fuzzbot posted:

What are some of the worst RPGs folks have played? Like really bad ones and not bad ones compared to the rest of a game series.

I remember being extremely bored playing Paladin Quest on SNES. Just bog-standard dog poo poo. I was in a phase of being able to play almost any RPG, J or otherwise, and somehow i was so bored by Paladin Quest that I asked my mom if we could return it early.

I couldn't say if it's that bad now but it certainly made a poor impression

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TheHoosier posted:

I remember being extremely bored playing Paladin Quest on SNES. Just bog-standard dog poo poo. I was in a phase of being able to play almost any RPG, J or otherwise, and somehow i was so bored by Paladin Quest that I asked my mom if we could return it early.

I couldn't say if it's that bad now but it certainly made a poor impression

I've got a lot of things to say about Paladin's Quest but 'standard' or 'normal' is not one of them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Reasons why SaGa Emerald will be better than Chronicles
1. Seems like it might end up more homo. I know there is some homo in Chronicles but Emerald looks like its going to have a lot of homo.
2. Thats all I got, both games are going to be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Prism posted:

I've got a lot of things to say about Paladin's Quest but 'standard' or 'normal' is not one of them.

I'd be interested in hearing it. I genuinely don't know whether I was an idiot kid or correct. I haven't ever revisited the game and I don't ever hear anyone talk about it.